Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription Based for real?

Comments

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by mcrippins

One last point. People are noticing that f2p games simply aren't worth the effort or investment. Often times these people are the ones that are putting in money into the 'cash shop'. These people realize how much of a ripoff it is, and sometimes would rather pay to play a game where everyone else is paying, and the playing field is the same for everyone. Who knows, maybe you're one of those people that doesn't pay a dime. Which means you play for free, because others pay. Nothing is free in this world. Not sure why you would expect your entertainment to be, and it's even worse if you expect everyone else to pay so you don't have to. 

http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/21/study-claims-more-than-100-million-americans-prefer-free-to-play-over-traditional-games/

Not saying sub is bad for FFXIV but as for that statement, many would disagree.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Soltek

So is FFXIV really going to be Subscription based? And if so will it have a cash shop? I'm finding it hard to believe. I don't think there's been a new triple A subscription based MMORPG since WoW in 2004.

FF IP has many followers who will happily subscribe for this game.

If it wasn't for the huge FF fanbase this game would have gone F2P within 6 months.

Sta Trek had many follower more than FF, Star Wars has many followers. more than FF, Warhammer has many followers again more than FF. IP and followers means nothing these days.

You can give IP fans a MMO which will cure cancer and they still wouldn't support it as a P2P model in long run.

Can you please stop attempting to predict the future. Star Trek had a horrible release, and while I've heard positive things about the game lately, a bad first impression can make a big difference. SWTOR was actually a quality game in some areas. However it was also a huge letdown in others. Seemed more like a single player game when I played. Warhammer is actually the only relevant reference here, as it actually started off as a game. FF has a gamer following. A loyal fan base at that. 

Something else to think about. FFXIV is an MMO being developed by the company that contributed/made the original series of games. They know what kind of world they want. They've been doing this for a very long time.  You take games like Star Trek and SWTOR. For the most part decent games, but they were just put together based on a story someone else told them. It wasn't their original vision. It's their own take on what it should be. 

One last point. People are noticing that f2p games simply aren't worth the effort or investment. Often times these people are the ones that are putting in money into the 'cash shop'. These people realize how much of a ripoff it is, and sometimes would rather pay to play a game where everyone else is paying, and the playing field is the same for everyone. Who knows, maybe you're one of those people that doesn't pay a dime. Which means you play for free, because others pay. Nothing is free in this world. Not sure why you would expect your entertainment to be, and it's even worse if you expect everyone else to pay so you don't have to. 

1. FFXIV also has a bad first impression, remember this is version 2.0 launching.

2. F2P is no more or less a ripoff than P2P because innovation and the love of the art of game making is not longer present in most MMOs these days regardless of payment model. The few that still show some promise of being crafted not stamped out are almost all exclusively F2P titles, amusing isn't it?

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

So is FFXIV really going to be Subscription based? And if so will it have a cash shop? I'm finding it hard to believe. I don't think there's been a new triple A subscription based MMORPG since WoW in 2004.

If it wasn't for the huge FF fanbase this game would have gone F2P within 6 months.

Sta Trek had many follower more than FF, Star Wars has many followers. more than FF, Warhammer has many followers again more than FF. IP and followers means nothing these days.

You can give IP fans a MMO which will cure cancer and they still wouldn't support it as a P2P model in long run.

Can you please stop attempting to predict the future. Star Trek had a horrible release, and while I've heard positive things about the game lately, a bad first impression can make a big difference. SWTOR was actually a quality game in some areas. However it was also a huge letdown in others. Seemed more like a single player game when I played. Warhammer is actually the only relevant reference here, as it actually started off as a game. FF has a gamer following. A loyal fan base at that. 

Something else to think about. FFXIV is an MMO being developed by the company that contributed/made the original series of games. They know what kind of world they want. They've been doing this for a very long time.  You take games like Star Trek and SWTOR. For the most part decent games, but they were just put together based on a story someone else told them. It wasn't their original vision. It's their own take on what it should be. 

Predicting future got nothing to do with what i said but the reality of MMO market these days. Game can be really good but majority just doesn't support this model anymore. 

Also i don't know from where you getting your information about these people who are noticing that F2P games simply aren't worth it.

Your last paragraph is pure assumption and speculation. Atleast when i say that P2P model isn't that popular anymore i have so many examples of failed P2P MMOS but you are just making up stuff as you go.

My speculation is about as factual as your ideas on market trends. Doesn't matter because you still missed the point. P2P should be the way for so many reasons.

1. Developing games isn't cheap. In fact it's the exact opposite. 

2. Everyone is equal. No disadvantages/advantages other than whatever balance changes devs need to make.

3. Increases the chance you'll receive a quality product. The guarantee of monthly fees is better than *hoping* people spend money. (The counter debate to this is quite clearly that f2p games tend to make more money initially, and sometimes steadily). You can thank PWE for making this popular. Personally as someone who spends money in these f2p games. I freaking hate it. I do it because i'll why not get the advantage, and I value my time more than the dollar. But hey - i'll take a level playing field any day of the week. 

4. (This is a question) - Would you go out with your friends and not bring any money? Would you expect them to pay for you? If so, would you see this as fair, and would you continue to mooch off your friends?

Something to think about ... The Warcraft IP was not as popular as Star Wars or Star Trek. Yet, it has maintained the #1 MMO spot for almost a decade now. Following your logic - this should never have happened. Explain.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    For me this game just does not offer enough for a sub, but perhaps hard core FF fans would disagree.  We shall see.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Predicting future got nothing to do with what i said but the reality of MMO market these days. Game can be really good but majority just doesn't support this model anymore. 

Also i don't know from where you getting your information about these people who are noticing that F2P games simply aren't worth it.

Your last paragraph is pure assumption and speculation. Atleast when i say that P2P model isn't that popular anymore i have so many examples of failed P2P MMOS but you are just making up stuff as you go.

My speculation is about as factual as your ideas on market trends. Doesn't matter because you still missed the point. P2P should be the way for so many reasons.

1. Developing games isn't cheap. In fact it's the exact opposite. 

2. Everyone is equal. No disadvantages/advantages other than whatever balance changes devs need to make.

3. Increases the chance you'll receive a quality product. The guarantee of monthly fees is better than *hoping* people spend money. (The counter debate to this is quite clearly that f2p games tend to make more money initially, and sometimes steadily). You can thank PWE for making this popular. Personally as someone who spends money in these f2p games. I freaking hate it. I do it because i'll why not get the advantage, and I value my time more than the dollar. But hey - i'll take a level playing field any day of the week. 

4. (This is a question) - Would you go out with your friends and not bring any money? Would you expect them to pay for you? If so, would you see this as fair, and would you continue to mooch off your friends?

Something to think about ... The Warcraft IP was not as popular as Star Wars or Star Trek. Yet, it has maintained the #1 MMO spot for almost a decade now. Following your logic - this should never have happened. Explain.

Why because you said so? atleast i got many failed P2P MMOS to back up what i said..what have you given to back up your claims? more speculation and assumptions? 

Another person even posted the link to show that man many people prefer F2P MMOS to debunk your 'many people are realising F2P isn't worth it'. How do you know that? did you do some survey? some sampling? anything? ofcourse not.

Stop pulling stuff out of thin air to argue just for the sake of it.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    Originally posted by free2play

I'm sure it will be a dead zone like other subscription based MMO's.

World of Warcraft,

EVE Online.

Total wasteland.

ya exept they arnt, bu the way WoW is STILL making more money then any other MMO out there so I don't think you can call it a failure yet.

that aside this game being a sub game without cash shop, is just icing on the cake, for me. now that im in beta I can see for myself first hand the gme is well made better then most MMOs comeing out of late, and I know I will get more then my monies worth.

And here is an example of person not understanding sarcasm LOL !

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by whisperwynd

http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/21/study-claims-more-than-100-million-americans-prefer-free-to-play-over-traditional-games/

About to head home from work so i'll give it a read here in a bit. I guess my problem is that games should never have gone f2p to begin with. PWE came out with a business model that made money hand over fist. Many adopted it and saw their player base rise. Thus proving the market showing it as a good thing. But it's not a good thing. All it did was lower expectations of players and developers alike. Now so many people EXPECT games to be free. For developers it's even worse. They can hope and hope and hope that their game is a huge success and/or the next big thing. Yet, all they see are MMOs failing. Companies going out of business or suffering from major layoffs. It's such a huge risk to even make MMOs right now. But yeah - I don't think many would say that free is bad. It's just bad to expect it. 

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by whisperwynd

About to head home from work so i'll give it a read here in a bit. I guess my problem is that games should never have gone f2p to begin with. PWE came out with a business model that made money hand over fist. Many adopted it and saw their player base rise. Thus proving the market showing it as a good thing. But it's not a good thing. All it did was lower expectations of players and developers alike. Now so many people EXPECT games to be free. For developers it's even worse. They can hope and hope and hope that their game is a huge success and/or the next big thing. Yet, all they see are MMOs failing. Companies going out of business or suffering from major layoffs. It's such a huge risk to even make MMOs right now. But yeah - I don't think many would say that free is bad. It's just bad to expect it. 

I certainly won't argue opinion as to why some believe F2P is a negative thing for Mmo's, principles and all that.

The world changes and we either have to go with flow or remain stagnant with our beliefs and maybe lose out on some fun. image

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

Well of course Americans want F2P and near 100 Million of them do.  We have more than 315 Million people and 47% of those people dont pay taxes.  That sounds about right that many of those SAME people dont want to pay for a game, they also dont want to pay for internet, or food, or a dam thing.  They want handouts from the government who take money from hardworking people.  Guess what that sounds like?  Yes F2P games where they take money from one group to pay for another group who dont want to pay period.  

I am getting tired of the F2P argument being the future.  It is not it will FAIL in the business world because outside a few companies the majority of F2P games will never make a profit.  There is no profit when large amounts of people pay nothing into a system.  Thats why our government is in debt thats also why these MMO publishers are under debt too.  Dont think so?  Think again Trion  is near $200 Million in the hole from Defiance plus End of Nations, and were not making money on Rift so they went F2P to try to make a cash grab before they have to shut down.  EA spent $250 million on SWTOR and no they have not made a profit on the game yet. 

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

I think those demanding F2P just prove how their F2P games are total worthless piece of shit. Cause instead of playing their lovely game, they come here and QQ and demand F2P for next title. I guess taste of those games are just like real shit (I know taste, I ate it), so they want candy without paying? Yes, it's candy for me, but if you call it shit, why even botter if some of us will pay for shit?

Yoshi P already said - pay or gtfo! It's very simple.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by danwest58

Well of course Americans want F2P and near 100 Million of them do.  We have more than 315 Million people and 47% of those people dont pay taxes.  That sounds about right that many of those SAME people dont want to pay for a game, they also dont want to pay for internet, or food, or a dam thing.  They want handouts from the government who take money from hardworking people.  Guess what that sounds like?  Yes F2P games where they take money from one group to pay for another group who dont want to pay period.  

I am getting tired of the F2P argument being the future.  It is not it will FAIL in the business world because outside a few companies the majority of F2P games will never make a profit.  There is no profit when large amounts of people pay nothing into a system.  Thats why our government is in debt thats also why these MMO publishers are under debt too.  Dont think so?  Think again Trion  is near $200 Million in the hole from Defiance plus End of Nations, and were not making money on Rift so they went F2P to try to make a cash grab before they have to shut down.  EA spent $250 million on SWTOR and no they have not made a profit on the game yet. 

So your points are:

1) Biased, unproven view that the same part of the american population which doesn't pay taxes is the same one which doesn't pay for F2P games, amusing rationalization.

2) Completely forgetting that companies with fair F2P systems are making money hand over fist while the only two MMOs which are still making the P2P model work and work well are EVE-Online ( what many call Elite Online) and World of Warcraft (the classic themepark, more so than even Everquest 1 it represents classic themeparks)  and trying to justify a warped opinion with even more warped logic while giving examples of a failed P2P game (SWTOR) and a failed B2P game (Defiance). End of Nations does not count as it has not been released yet.

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

It will never survive as sub based. 

I was gonna play but won't now, after guild wars 2 I will never play another game on a sub based model.

GW2 has shown that you don't need to take every dollar from a player.

And yeah it's a wow clone better someways worse others, not for me.

Have fun with just small 2 week updates and never getting an expansion.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Shatter30
    This game will fail as a sub MMO.  If TOR couldn't survive as one as large of an IP as it is, why would this do any better when its essentially a WOW clone done worse. 

TOr isnt worth the sub price that game is instances all hell to back as is

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Oh yes It is my friend. Finally, a game with no Cash Shops. So yeah, as long as the game is even remotely decent (and it is) It will be my MMO going forward. F2P B2P whatever, If you have the ability to transfer real money into the game, you have a shitty game. That's my opinion. And this one has even taken steps to curb the Gil Sellers with the retainer system. Anyway, After GW2, I am done with Cash Shop games. P2W or not, has nothing to do with it. So Yes! Thank you Square. Now there is at least one MMO left I will play. And yes. I will quit the game and leave the genre if this game goes Cash Shop and there are no MMOs left without one.

Originally posted by Arthasm

I think those demanding F2P just prove how their F2P games are total worthless piece of shit. Cause instead of playing their lovely game, they come here and QQ and demand F2P for next title. I guess taste of those games are just like real shit (I know taste, I ate it), so they want candy without paying? Yes, it's candy for me, but if you call it shit, why even botter if some of us will pay for shit?

Arguing that P2P MMOS are failing left and right and that more and more players prefer F2P model doesn't mean people are demanding FFXIV to go F2P. I think you need to read the topic again thoroughly. 

Also did you say you ate shit? image image

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Yoshi P had an extensive interview in which he explained why FF14 is subscription. I totally agree with him.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/17/final-fantasy-online-director-defends-monthly-subscriptions-in-the-golden-age-of-free-to-play-exclusive/

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by drivendawn

Arguing that P2P MMOS are failing left and right and that more and more players prefer F2P model doesn't mean people are demanding FFXIV to go F2P. I think you need to read the topic again thoroughly. 

Serious question not trying to be a dick or anything. Do you like this game or not? Because you have been posting here on the XIV forum for a while, yet its all negative.

All my posts about FFXIV are mostly about payment models. Could you show me the negativity you are talking about? not once i have said that FFXIV sucks or is horrible / bad.

Usually around here when people do not agree with what you have to say is either you are 'trolling' or being 'negative'.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Margulis

Either you're trolling or new to mmo's my friend.

Guessing he lives under a bridge.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

Yes, you have problem with that? Every shit like GW2, Rift (F2P version), Tera, whatever the Free-2-Crap players prefer.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Star Trek's fanbase is mainly not based on their games. FF is based almost exclusively on the games.

Yes, you have problem with that? Every shit like GW2, Rift (F2P version), Tera, whatever the Free-2-Crap players prefer.

No i don't, i am just grinning at the irony of you calling games like GW2, Rift etc 'shit' and then lashing out at others for calling FFXIV average or bad. image

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by JeroKane

I am totally happy it´s subscription based!

No nickel & diming cash shop! Full access to the entire game without restrictions!

Hell yeah! Like the good old days where you just pay a monthly fee and have full unrestricted access to a MMO!

And it also means people like the OP won´t be playing it!  Win / Win situation if you ask me :P

I felt the same way about TOR, then I hit max level... All I can say is they better have something that makes for an interesting top level experience, or they have no shot at sustaining this business model.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Shatter30
    This game will fail as a sub MMO.  If TOR couldn't survive as one as large of an IP as it is, why would this do any better when its essentially a WOW clone done worse. 

TOR couldn't survive because it couldn't make up the billion dollar investment that EA threw at the purchase of BioWare and BioWares development of the game. 

Is that a fact? billion dollar? got any reliable source to back up this statement... because i would like to read up on it.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

TOR couldn't survive because it couldn't make up the billion dollar investment that EA threw at the purchase of BioWare and BioWares development of the game. 

I don't think when people say that SWTOR failed, they give a damn about SWTOR not living up to investors expecting, they meant that SWTOR subs were hermorhaging like mad until it went F2P.