Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Phase 4 info from Yoshi-P released (Arcanist in P4)

This is copied from Reddit (r/ffxiv)

http://www.bluegartr.com/showthread.php?p=5805771#post5805771

A summary of other stuff he said:

• They're trying to get Arcanist ready for Phase 4
  • Please wait a little more for the details on how Arcanist works (perhaps revealed in the upcoming Niconico Live Event?)
  • Event Bosses implemented in Phase 4
  • SLI support implemented in Phase 4
  • Male Miqotes (and other races?) will have unique motions when entering baths
  • When leveling a second class, you will have bonus exp
  • Addressed a bug where the cursor goes funny in some instances
  • Adjustments to how (slow/fast) a Gatherer levels
  • Adjustments (maybe) to the ease of making HQs from NQ materials in crafting
  • An in-game event will be implemented right away after Launch (Bomb Event?)
  • The dev team has designed endgame events to outright kill players
  • (The Labyrinth of) Bahamut is so long, it pretty much requires players to 'save progress' as they proceed through the dungeon
  • No plans to implement a 'your server only' option for the Duty Finder as for now

As per why he came to that decision for the last point, Yoshi-P made a long post about the Duty Finder in which he explains why, so wait till the offical translated response for that.

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Phase four is like the Miner's Guild... Good times are bound to be had!

xP

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Most of that stuff I agree with.

- Gathering needs attention

- HQ NQ is fine. They should leave it be for now. I was getting plenty of HQ mats when Gathering. They convert to HQ components most of the time and that makes HQ gear most of the time. They may want to adjust it later but for now the ground up system seems to be solid.

- Second and onward class exper bonus was to be expected. It could help improve Gathering in itself. It is a secondary by default.

- I don't know why they would design endgame content to kill players. I.. what? No idea where they decided that made sense.

I also think they need to look at making the level 10 quests a little more run of the mill and maybe make 15's the gauntlet that 10 can be now. This way people have an option beyond deleting their character if they can't do the 10 as it's the quest that unlocks the other classes.

Lack of responsiveness, clicking buttons multiple times and a weird glitch where closing a window wants to drag it all over the screen need to be dealt with too.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by free2play

- I don't know why they would design endgame content to kill players. I.. what? No idea where they decided that made sense.

I think it just means they are making it extremely difficult like in Final Fantasy 11

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

sweet finally arcanist , I have always been a pet style player. ( miss CoH masterminds)

and arcanist is the class I look forward to the most, I got some thires on how its going to work based on what we know of them already but, I don't like starting rumors so ill wait and see what actually is put out on its release.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350

I had been testing out a bug that affects the Lalafell race with most of the classes. Donno if i can provide info here but they are definantly looking into it. Nothing major but this did make me level all of the battle classes up to level 10.

I do not know how later on leveling will be since most of my time I did spend gathering data for the bug. But I had absolutely No trouble leveling up my other classes, to lvl 10 that its,  Just by doing what quest were in the area of said classes, Fates and the hunters log. I only unlocked battleleves when i needed the airship pass to get the marauder class. I did no duty finder at all either.

I have not tried the gathering classes so I do not know how those go, But the Hunters log, completeing it alone, and a few fates easly got me to lvl 10. Like I said. low lvl, donno how high lvl will be.

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Didnt that say that VO was starting in P4 as well? Only one I really care about, lol
  • Raphiel75Raphiel75 Member Posts: 16
    • (The Labyrinth of) Bahamut is so long, it pretty much requires players to 'save progress' as they proceed through the dungeon.

*cough*Nyzul Isle*cough*

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by free2play

Most of that stuff I agree with.

- Gathering needs attention

- HQ NQ is fine. They should leave it be for now. I was getting plenty of HQ mats when Gathering. They convert to HQ components most of the time and that makes HQ gear most of the time. They may want to adjust it later but for now the ground up system seems to be solid.

- Second and onward class exper bonus was to be expected. It could help improve Gathering in itself. It is a secondary by default.

I also think they need to look at making the level 10 quests a little more run of the mill and maybe make 15's the gauntlet that 10 can be now. This way people have an option beyond deleting their character if they can't do the 10 as it's the quest that unlocks the other classes.

Lack of responsiveness, clicking buttons multiple times and a weird glitch where closing a window wants to drag it all over the screen need to be dealt with too.

It is a bad translation in regards to the bosses being meant to just kill everyone.  I am so glad they are not going to make face roll end game content like the majority of games out there now. 

• AzphelAzphel Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Awesome news. Thanks for the heads up :) Now back to the beta!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

looking forward to try the Arcanist, i hope its not a statue like Thaumaturge. TOday i tried the Archer and fell in love with its mobile capabilities. I was planning to play a Thaumaturge only but after playing archer i want nothing to do with Thaumaturges in this game. Archer is too fun and quick, even charging skills let you run while shooting. This is the ranged class i was hoping to find, which is sad because mages are my favorite (as long as they are can move while shooting).

Anyway ill try arcanist but if its a static brick like thaumaturge ill stick with archer.

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

Endgame difficulty is one of the reason I know this game will do well. If you look at 3 of the top MMOs in north America...

WoW:  Endgame too easy. After a month or so of raiding you can have almost everything you want.

GW2:  No endgame

SWTOR: No endgame

Endgame or the lack there of is the reason that most people don't play these games long term.  When I started WoW my progression was laid out very simply. Pick a race and class, then sprint to 85. Level 2 crafts and make as much gold as quickly as you can for enchantments and jewels for gear. Burn dungeons to reach gear rating. Finally, join good 10 man to beat Deathwing. 

After that I quickly got bored. I tried my hand at PvP. Leveled a couple of alts. But nothing caught my fancy to keep me playing. Went back when MoP came out, but a after a month of so I was bored again. I believe the easiness of WoW is why they are losing subscriptions.

I was so excited about GW2. preordered it and dove in. Then I discovered there was no endgame. I also learned that the legendary gear was just for show. I didn't level anything past 20. Whats the point? Great combat? I don't play mmos for pvp. I play RTS for that reason. Exploring? Once again, not the reason I play mmos. That's what Skyrim and GTA are for.

FFXIV ARR is so loaded with things to do its going to steal my life for months.

I cant wait to get my first lvl 50 and tackle the Primals to get my hands on a good primal weapon. Not to mention my AF gear.

I also have to decide what crafts are best for me to earn gil. The housing update will be out before we know it and I want my piece of the pie. Then of coarse I want to raise chocobos that are faster and stronger than my neighbors.

What is also amazing is that I will be able to set up a store front counter in my house to sell things I've made through crafting and gathering! No auction house needed. Can you imagine how competitive the market is going to be? It makes me tingle.

Of course I have to do pvp. Yes I know I just said I don't play mmos for pvp, but have you seen the top pvp gear? Its incredible looking. Its modeled after animals. (Lion, fox, ect)  I can easily gather 4 friends, perfect a pvp strategy and attempt to dominate my server. 

And then theres endgame.... If its as hard as the devs say I see this taking months and months to complete.

All of this is just level 50. What happens when they raise the level cap. Or when they come out with my favorite jobs Dark Knight and Ninja.

So much to do, so little time to do it.

• dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon

Endgame difficulty is one of the reason I know this game will do well. If you look at 3 of the top MMOs in north America...

WoW:  Endgame too easy. After a month or so of raiding you can have almost everything you want.

GW2:  No endgame

SWTOR: No endgame

Endgame or the lack there of is the reason that most people don't play these games long term.  When I started WoW my progression was laid out very simply. Pick a race and class, then sprint to 85. Level 2 crafts and make as much gold as quickly as you can for enchantments and jewels for gear. Burn dungeons to reach gear rating. Finally, join good 10 man to beat Deathwing. 

After that I quickly got bored. I tried my hand at PvP. Leveled a couple of alts. But nothing caught my fancy to keep me playing. Went back when MoP came out, but a after a month of so I was bored again. I believe the easiness of WoW is why they are losing subscriptions.

I was so excited about GW2. preordered it and dove in. Then I discovered there was no endgame. I also learned that the legendary gear was just for show. I didn't level anything past 20. Whats the point? Great combat? I don't play mmos for pvp. I play RTS for that reason. Exploring? Once again, not the reason I play mmos. That's what Skyrim and GTA are for.

FFXIV ARR is so loaded with things to do its going to steal my life for months.

I cant wait to get my first lvl 50 and tackle the Primals to get my hands on a good primal weapon. Not to mention my AF gear.

I also have to decide what crafts are best for me to earn gil. The housing update will be out before we know it and I want my piece of the pie. Then of coarse I want to raise chocobos that are faster and stronger than my neighbors.

What is also amazing is that I will be able to set up a store front counter in my house to sell things I've made through crafting and gathering! No auction house needed. Can you imagine how competitive the market is going to be? It makes me tingle.

Of course I have to do pvp. Yes I know I just said I don't play mmos for pvp, but have you seen the top pvp gear? Its incredible looking. Its modeled after animals. (Lion, fox, ect)  I can easily gather 4 friends, perfect a pvp strategy and attempt to dominate my server. 

And then theres endgame.... If its as hard as the devs say I see this taking months and months to complete.

All of this is just level 50. What happens when they raise the level cap. Or when they come out with my favorite jobs Dark Knight and Ninja.

So much to do, so little time to do it.

you dont play for exploring even tho mmos are vast worlds, you dont play for pvp, yet you level to do what? fight more A.I mobs?

you have very boring taste, all you wanna play is a spreadsheet

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354

I just want to say he did this interview  in game with no heads up. He just poped next to home point and players started asking questions and he kept answering :) . and you will tell me why I do love this game. the producer and developer is in game.

by the way, it was not the first time, he did it before in phase 1 and 2

edit: corrected major flaw in my statement, i meant i love this game xD

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by ZenTaoYingYang

I just want to say he did this interview  in game with no heads up. He just poped next to home point and players started asking questions and he kept answering :) . and you will tell me why I do not love this game. the producer and developer is in game.

He plays often during beta weekends, a lot of the time he plays under another name and hides within the game joining random groups, he commented before how he lost out to a roll for a piece of dungeon gear.  He is always open to players feedback and his ideas are not always suited to everyone else's taste, he is fully aware that the game cannot tailor to everyone.  I think the guy has done a really good job, I don't like everything and have some reservations, but the game is very appealing and will be a long term commitment for me.  A lot of beta testers specificly new comers have very shallow minds, and don't see the whole picture only by what they are allowed to do and not do during testing, many of them treating it as a demo or trial, some things will be removed from the beta for the released version and lots more is going to be implimented with a lot more stuff added as the game progress's.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Appreciate the info! Very curious to know if and/or when voiceovers will make it into the game.
  • ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye
    Originally posted by ZenTaoYingYang

I just want to say he did this interview  in game with no heads up. He just poped next to home point and players started asking questions and he kept answering :) . and you will tell me why I do not love this game. the producer and developer is in game.

He plays often during beta weekends, a lot of the time he plays under another name and hides within the game joining random groups, he commented before how he lost out to a roll for a piece of dungeon gear.  He is always open to players feedback and his ideas are not always suited to everyone else's taste, he is fully aware that the game cannot tailor to everyone.  I think the guy has done a really good job, I don't like everything and have some reservations, but the game is very appealing and will be a long term commitment for me.  A lot of beta testers specificly new comers have very shallow minds, and don't see the whole picture only by what they are allowed to do and not do during testing, many of them treating it as a demo or trial, some things will be removed from the beta for the released version and lots more is going to be implimented with a lot more stuff added as the game progress's.

But that is why they give out thousands of beta keys to begin with. We are helping them test without being paid for it, of course not everyone is gonna test. usually those who do find the game appealing and want the game to succeed.  As soon as I stumbled on a bug that affects the Lalafell race on most of the classes at level 10. I made sure i did every class to see if i could emulate the bug again and took pics before and after of what was being affected.  I did not progress far because of it, mostly because I did find this bug to be a hinderance for the race at that level and it goes by unnoticed because of the gear you get. If you are interested in it go to the beta forms and search Puglist HP Bug.

• separateunionseparateunion Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by dwarflordking

you dont play for exploring even tho mmos are vast worlds, you dont play for pvp, yet you level to do what? fight more A.I mobs?

you have very boring taste, all you wanna play is a spreadsheet

I personally don't care for PvP. Not playing PvP isn't "playing a spreadsheet," it's enjoying the ability to group up with others to conquer bosses and dungeons. Is D&D "playing a spreadsheet" because it's not PvP?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by rojo6934

looking forward to try the Arcanist, i hope its not a statue like Thaumaturge. TOday i tried the Archer and fell in love with its mobile capabilities. I was planning to play a Thaumaturge only but after playing archer i want nothing to do with Thaumaturges in this game. Archer is too fun and quick, even charging skills let you run while shooting. This is the ranged class i was hoping to find, which is sad because mages are my favorite (as long as they are can move while shooting).

Anyway ill try arcanist but if its a static brick like thaumaturge ill stick with archer.

I rolled an Archer this morning and my 1st thought was "YES! I can kite!"

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429

I just wanna say this.

White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage White Mage.

Okay. I'm done. 

Cannot - flipping wait. I went a bit out of the box cause I am not doing a travel vacation, took 2 weeks off for this game .. yep ... 

Cannot waittt. 

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Blog post to reiterate what I was saying about the Dev joining random groups.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/481

• SephrinxSephrinx Member UncommonPosts: 94

Still nothing about the combat, le sigh. Oh well. 

I was really hoping to see them augment the combat system in some way in order to make it not so horrendous. Maybe I have been spoiled by playing games that have amazing, fast paced combat. This game is just too slow for me I think. I really want to love this game, it has so much going for it, but I simply cannot come to accept the terribly clunky, slow, and boring battle system and the mechanics therein.

imageimageimageimage

Originally posted by Sephrinx

Still nothing about the combat, le sigh. Oh well. 

I was really hoping to see them augment the combat system in some way in order to make it not so horrendous. Maybe I have been spoiled by playing games that have amazing, fast paced combat. This game is just too slow for me I think. I really want to love this game, it has so much going for it, but I simply cannot come to accept the terribly clunky, slow, and boring battle system and the mechanics therein.

Combat is more than fine. Combat in FF has always been slower and more strategic.

In regards to leveling speed, how does extra xp make the game easier? There are 19 classes to potentially level to 50. Your play time does not equal how difficult a game is at all.

• SephrinxSephrinx Member UncommonPosts: 94

@ Waldoe

I don't know man, there isn't really any strategy involved. And just because the battles and combat are slower paced, how does that equate to being more strategic? After running several dungeons, I find it just the same as solo play. Slow, boring, and unimaginative. My rotations are always pretty much the same. I tank with a Gladiator and it's faceroll easy. Like, Prot Pally style. Spam flash a few times and you are good. Hit mobs with Savage Blade and Shield bash and it goes smooth. I also play a Pugilist, and it's pretty much just 1-2-3 repeat. 

You have no interactive abilities, and the 'combos' are just pathetic in terms of combination abilities. And the limit break feels like it does absolutely nothing. When you limit break is should remove the global cooldown for like 4-6 seconds, and remove the TP cost from all skills. Something like that anyway, it would be badass as all get out. Currently I don't even bother with limit breaks. I have never needed too use them, and when I do I don't even notice if it has gone off or not, until I look at the Limit Gauge and realize i'ts empty. 

To each their own I guess tho. If some people like this sort of battle system then that is good for them and I"m happy they are getting enjoyment from it. I just with is was more appealing to people who play the game for good combat, quick actions and involvement and fast thinking/snap decision making. You don't need a 3 second GCD just to have Strategic combat. In fact I think it has the opposite effect. Reducing the time between abilities makes for far, far more tactical and strategic based combat. Rather than taking forever to launch your next attack, and giving you "time to think" about what you are going to do, you should have it all planned out ahead of time. 

"Ok, so there are 4 mobs too pull up ahead, 3 smaller mobs and a big guy. I"ll run in and flash, shield bash the big dude, flash again and then start my 1-2-1 rotation."

It would be the exact same, regardless of GCD timer. With the GCD Lowered you would be able to 'weave' more abilities and spells together, and it would make the combat feel much more involving and exciting. Right now I feel that I spend most of the combat time sitting there staring at my characters backside, waiting for the GCD too come off cooldown.

And I entirely agree, making you gain bonus Exp for Alternate classes in no way makes the game 'easier' it just reduces the time it takes to level... alternate classes. No one wants to spend 27 weeks leveling Mining and Goldsmith. That is just silly. If anything it makes the game more interesting as you have quicker access to more jobs and classes!

imageimageimageimage

Originally posted by Sephrinx

@ Waldoe

I don't know man, there isn't really any strategy involved. And just because the battles and combat are slower paced, how does that equate to being more strategic? After running several dungeons, I find it just the same as solo play. Slow, boring, and unimaginative. My rotations are always pretty much the same. I tank with a Gladiator and it's faceroll easy. Like, Prot Pally style. Spam flash a few times and you are good. Hit mobs with Savage Blade and Shield bash and it goes smooth. I also play a Pugilist, and it's pretty much just 1-2-3 repeat. 

You have no interactive abilities, and the 'combos' are just pathetic in terms of combination abilities. And the limit break feels like it does absolutely nothing. When you limit break is should remove the global cooldown for like 4-6 seconds, and remove the TP cost from all skills. Something like that anyway, it would be badass as all get out. Currently I don't even bother with limit breaks. I have never needed too use them, and when I do I don't even notice if it has gone off or not, until I look at the Limit Gauge and realize i'ts empty. 

To each their own I guess tho. If some people like this sort of battle system then that is good for them and I"m happy they are getting enjoyment from it. I just with is was more appealing to people who play the game for good combat, quick actions and involvement and fast thinking/snap decision making. You don't need a 3 second GCD just to have Strategic combat. In fact I think it has the opposite effect. Reducing the time between abilities makes for far, far more tactical and strategic based combat. Rather than taking forever to launch your next attack, and giving you "time to think" about what you are going to do, you should have it all planned out ahead of time. 

"Ok, so there are 4 mobs too pull up ahead, 3 smaller mobs and a big guy. I"ll run in and flash, shield bash the big dude, flash again and then start my 1-2-1 rotation."

It would be the exact same, regardless of GCD timer. With the GCD Lowered you would be able to 'weave' more abilities and spells together, and it would make the combat feel much more involving and exciting. Right now I feel that I spend most of the combat time sitting there staring at my characters backside, waiting for the GCD too come off cooldown.

And I entirely agree, making you gain bonus Exp for Alternate classes in no way makes the game 'easier' it just reduces the time it takes to level... alternate classes. No one wants to spend 27 weeks leveling Mining and Goldsmith. That is just silly. If anything it makes the game more interesting as you have quicker access to more jobs and classes!

Have you experienced post 35 content? You are making comments and assumptions about a game you have not even played all the content for. Message me back after you get your ass handed to you in crystal tower.

• Deliverus_GamoraDeliverus_Gamora Member Posts: 29
    THM is a ranged powerhouse, but the fact that an archer can move while doing just as much damage puzzled me. Also, when I parsed Fire III right after getting it the DOS was well behind fire I due to cat time and mana cost. I posted this on the beta form hopefully something will be corrected