Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

League of Legends: US Government Recognizes eSports Players

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

I would like to just point this out..

Religion and Politics

• MMORPG.com is a site to discuss massively multiplayer online roleplay gaming. While users are encouraged and permitted to use our Off-Topic forum to discuss real life and non-MMORPG gaming, threads concerning sensitive subjects such as religion, politics, or ethics may be locked or deleted if determined out of hand by the MMORPG.com moderator staff.

Under MMORPGs Rull of Conduct, wouldn't this topic fall under the politics section? Does this mean that they broke there own rule?

You view sports as a religion or politics? Because the US government stating it now considers one type of e-sports as a sport does not constitute a breach of that rule as it is not relating to politics, merely broadening the scope of existing laws to encompass emerging forms of sports.

The sports aren't politics, but when you converse about the government's role in said sports that is politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_on_Ice

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by dinams

Well

It requires skill, check

It requires dedication, check

It gives joy or pleasure, check

It is a past-time, check

Then it is a sport

Not sport like basketball or football

More akin to chess and poker

This.

Wow good to see there is a bunch of jock douchebags whom think only what they do can be classified as a sport.

If shot put is a sport...then basically anything can be. lol

If you don't what shot put is, its a game with a cannonball.  Nuff said.

Chances are though whats really going on here on this GAMING website, is extreme jealousy.

Good for them I say.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    This is only a positive. It's going to allow for even more competition and growth for those of us that actually enjoy watching e-sports. It isn't called a sport because it's not, it's called e-sports because that's what it is. It does require great skill and dedication and instead of people who choose a ball or racquet to fill all their free time they chose mouse and keyboard. This is super exciting to me despite the fact that I am more of a SC2 fan.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by JIUBHUNNY420

No offence to gaming, but puke.

"e-Sports" is NOT on par with actual athletes.

I support "pro-gaming" where one might be able to make a living playing video games, but I do NOT think of that as being an athlete.

Nascar isnt a sport either than right? Or Poker? Or Fishing?

Sorry but theres money to be made, and Id rather us nerds get a chance at doing what we love for a profit.

Well guess it depends on how in depth you take the definition of Sport derived from sportsman.Using a fish finder would hardly justify you as a sportsman.

Poker,well obviously no,based predominantly on luck.

Nascar well that is a really tough one been debated for years,you are using your arms,you do have a team but really drinking a coffee uses your arms and there was a team behind producing the product for you,yet it is not a sport.

Video games can  fall into this E-Sport because that is exactly what it is.It is a competitive structure similar to sport but takes  place electronically.

It is however NOTHING compared to actual sport,this is simply an electronic version.A perfect example would be if two players were playing Madden football,the guy who might win on the game might be in a wheelchair and have no chance at all in a real football match.So they should not be compared as equals in any fashion what so ever.Video games allow you to  do or sometimes do the impossible,so it is fantasy or non realism.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Wizardry

It is however NOTHING compared to actual sport,this is simply an electronic version.A perfect example would be if two players were playing Madden football,the guy who might win on the game might be in a wheelchair and have no chance at all in a real football match.So they should not be compared as equals in any fashion what so ever.Video games allow you to  do or sometimes do the impossible,so it is fantasy or non realism.

Look up please what it takes to reach even semi-pro gaming status before using such flawed examples to justify a warped conclusion.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

How long until there is a grand jury hearing about performance enhancing drugs being used by e-sport "athletes"?

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Originally posted by azmundai

How long until there is a grand jury hearing about performance enhancing drugs being used by e-sport "athletes"?

Doubt it's gonna be drugs, it's more likely gonna be performance enhancers (faster artificial limbs? ) or spy cams/ illegal access to the adversary's monitor screen stream.

• AysonoAysono Member Posts: 164

You know the "allstars" you see in the annual MLB Allstar Game are not all stars, right?

The fact is when fans wants to see them and it brings more money to the businesses then they are Allstars.

Now, Main Street says LoL eSport players are athletes and Wall Street says LoL eSport players are athletes so the Government says they are atheletes. Any question?

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Definition

The precise definition of what separates a sport from other leisure activities varies between sources, with no universally agreed definition. The closest to an international agreement on a definition is provided by SportAccord, which is the association for all the largest international sports federations (including association footballathletics,cyclingtennisequestrian sports and more), and is therefore the de facto representative of international sport.

SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1]

• have an element of competition
    • be in no way harmful to any living creature
    • not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
    • not rely on any "luck" element specifically designed into the sport

They also recognise that sport can be primarily physical (such as rugby or athletics), primarily mind (such as chess or go), predominantly motorised (such as Formula 1or powerboating), primarily co-ordination (such as billiard sports), or primarily animal supported (such as equestrian sport).[1]

There has been an increase in the application of the term "sport" to a wider set of non-physical challenges such as electronic sports, especially due to the large scale of participation and organised competition, but these are not widely recognised by mainstream sports organisations.

========================================

So when does a game become a sport? You can decide. However, 50 years from now I have a feeling some of you are going to be pretty upset. Professional gaming / e-sports is growing very rapidly. 

• rnor6084rnor6084 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    What a joke.
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by coprhead6
    Craz,
    Archery , Sailing, Equestrian, and Fencing are all very physical. I'm sorry you've never gotten up from your couch to realize that :D

+1. Took archery in college.  Takes alot more upper body strength than you'd think.  A lot of people struggled

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by JIUBHUNNY420

I support "pro-gaming" where one might be able to make a living playing video games, but I do NOT think of that as being an athlete.

Nascar isnt a sport either than right? Or Poker? Or Fishing?

Sorry but theres money to be made, and Id rather us nerds get a chance at doing what we love for a profit.

those are actual sports. Driving real racing cars, fishing real fishes with real tools on a real lake, and playing chess requires more mental preparation than any virtual fighting game.

You misunderstood the first poster. He didnt say video gaming for profit is wrong. He just said video games dont make you an athlete. You can be both, both one doesnt make you the other.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    damn, if only the government knew that casually throwing around terminology would make such fuel for nerd arguments 
    Originally posted by Asamof
    damn, if only the government knew that casually throwing around terminology would make such fuel for nerd arguments 

Neah, the nerds don't have any issue with it (unless they harbor some jealousy for flaming out of the pro-league level of e-sports) it's people who took non-esports in high-school or college who seem to be taking some offense at it... kind of amusing really.

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Why not? It isn't physical, but neither is archery, shooting, sailing, equestrian, golf, fencing or curling, and they're all Olympic sports. 

[mod edit]

lol ;]

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by mcrippins
    DefinitionThe precise definition of what separates a sport from other leisure activities varies between sources, with no universally agreed definition. The closest to an international agreement on a definition is provided by SportAccord, which is the association for all the largest international sports federations (including association footballathletics,cyclingtennisequestrian sports and more), and is therefore the de facto representative of international sport.SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1] have an element of competition be in no way harmful to any living creature not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football) not rely on any "luck" element specifically designed into the sportThey also recognise that sport can be primarily physical (such as rugby or athletics), primarily mind (such as chess or go), predominantly motorised (such as Formula 1or powerboating), primarily co-ordination (such as billiard sports), or primarily animal supported (such as equestrian sport).[1]There has been an increase in the application of the term "sport" to a wider set of non-physical challenges such as electronic sports, especially due to the large scale of participation and organised competition, but these are not widely recognised by mainstream sports organisations.========================================So when does a game become a sport? You can decide. However, 50 years from now I have a feeling some of you are going to be pretty upset. Professional gaming / e-sports is growing very rapidly. 

The only problem with e-Sports is the RNG factor. That would leave out most, if not all MMORPGs, unless it could be argued that since the RNG applies to everyone, it's not relevant.

Oh, and it seems e-Sports would fall under the Billiards definition.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by azmundai

Modafinil and Strattera Go!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by mcrippins

Definition

The precise definition of what separates a sport from other leisure activities varies between sources, with no universally agreed definition. The closest to an international agreement on a definition is provided by SportAccord, which is the association for all the largest international sports federations (including association footballathletics,cyclingtennisequestrian sports and more), and is therefore the de facto representative of international sport.

SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1]

• have an element of competition
    • be in no way harmful to any living creature
    • not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
    • not rely on any "luck" element specifically designed into the sport

They also recognise that sport can be primarily physical (such as rugby or athletics), primarily mind (such as chess or go), predominantly motorised (such as Formula 1or powerboating), primarily co-ordination (such as billiard sports), or primarily animal supported (such as equestrian sport).[1]

There has been an increase in the application of the term "sport" to a wider set of non-physical challenges such as electronic sports, especially due to the large scale of participation and organised competition, but these are not widely recognised by mainstream sports organisations.

========================================

So when does a game become a sport? You can decide. However, 50 years from now I have a feeling some of you are going to be pretty upset. Professional gaming / e-sports is growing very rapidly. 

Here

It seems this guy won the argument

Now all the envious people can sleep with troubled minds, primarily the "For" Sport argument , that was weak sauce

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Since when is sports primarily about physical exercise? Sports is about a competition of skill. No matter if that uses your physical strength, mind or reflexes or a combination.

Also, for many sports you need a clear mind and being able to concentrate for long. Cardio and physical exercise training program is beneficial for this. But of course if you compete in chess tournaments, your main focus will be chess training and not cardio. 

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

I'm still waiting to get scouted at the local mall arcade while I bust on 10-13 year olds for a chance at going pro in air hockey.

^ Even without talking about physical attributes I could argue air hockey is more of a "sport" than playing a MOBA.

Originally posted by Blazeyer

I'm still waiting to get scouted at the local mall arcade while I bust on 10-13 year olds for a chance at going pro in air hockey.

^ Even without talking about physical attributes I could argue air hockey is more of a "sport" than playing a MOBA.

Look up one of the pro teams for LoL and ask for a match with 4 bots on either side you and one of their lower end pros... see how far you get.

Look up one of the pro teams for LoL and ask for a match with 4 bots on either side you and one of their lower end pros... see how far you get.

What's your point? They're better than me at LoL? Duh. I was ranked top 30 in the world on fight night champions ps3, I didn't call it a sport, nor consider myself an athlete solely based upon that fact.

I have issue with calling it a sport, but as I stated in another post since I consider something like chess to be a sport (stamina, determination, skill, intelligence) I can't look the other way on MOBAs. I will never ever call the people playing these games athletes though.

This whole argument to me is just stupid. This means that every 8-12 year old kid playing CoD on xbox is now playing a sport. "No mom, I don't need to go outside and be active, the US govt says what I'm doing is a sport, so I must be an athlete. Now get me more hot pockets". This means that in a single swoop there are more people playing "the sport of" video games than all other prior sports combined.

---This is for ALL GAMES isn't it? Meaning If I challenge some friends to a rousing game of  hello kitty island adventure score comparison (or whatever the hell you actually do in that game) we're infact playing a sport, and are now athletes.

I can read, so I must be smart enough to join mensa?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I take everything US government does and says very seriously.... image... image...image...image...

Nah i am just screwing with you all.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

What's your point? They're better than me at LoL? Duh. I was ranked top 30 in the world on fight night champions ps3, I didn't call it a sport, nor consider myself an athlete solely based upon that fact.

I have issue with calling it a sport, but as I stated in another post since I consider something like chess to be a sport (stamina, determination, skill, intelligence) I can't look the other way on MOBAs. I will never ever call the people playing these games athletes though.

This whole argument to me is just stupid. This means that every 8-12 year old kid playing CoD on xbox is now playing a sport. "No mom, I don't need to go outside and be active, the US govt says what I'm doing is a sport, so I must be an athlete. Now get me more hot pockets". This means that in a single swoop there are more people playing "the sport of" video games than all other prior sports combined.

---This is for ALL GAMES isn't it? Meaning If I challenge some friends to a rousing game of  hello kitty island adventure score comparison (or whatever the hell you actually do in that game) we're infact playing a sport, and are now athletes.

Pathetic attempt at irony aside, do you consider soccer played on a field by a couple of kids a sport or a game? Do you consider a bout of football between family members in a backyard a sport or a game? Here's the difference in it: Unless it is in a official and competitive setting you can't really call video games sports, you call them games, if the 12 year old is a prodigy at a Counterstrike tournament able to keep up with people twice his age and win games for his team and he's a athlete in my book, if he is a toxic little shit on XBLA ordering for hot pockets from his too good natured mom then he's a gamer.

Context in this is crucial because just like any older sports video games can be either games or sports ( some people run for fun, others run as part of a sport). It may seem like a minute difference when games are concerned but, just like in professional sports, gaming tournaments are rigorously monitored to maintain fair conditions where cheating and other means of assuring wins cannot happen.

Pathetic attempt at irony aside, do you consider soccer played on a field by a couple of kids a sport or a game? Do you consider a bout of football between family members in a backyard a sport or a game? Here's the difference in it: Unless it is in a official and competitive setting you can't really call video games sports, you call them games, if the 12 year old is a prodigy at a Counterstrike tournament able to keep up with people twice his age and win games for his team and he's a athlete in my book, if he is a toxic little shit on XBLA ordering for hot pockets from his too good natured mom then he's a gamer.

Context in this is crucial because just like any older sports video games can be either games or sports ( some people run for fun, others run as part of a sport). It may seem like a minute difference when games are concerned but, just like in professional sports, gaming tournaments are rigorously monitored to maintain fair conditions where cheating and other means of assuring wins cannot happen.

Why wouldn't I consider those examples a sport/game? If you've ever played any sort of backyard sport you would know that NO ONE ever plays to lose. If I play in a rec basketball league with people of all ages and there is no referee it's not a sport/game?

Professional eaters are more athletic than professional gamers. Physical, Mental, Stamina. You show me a 12 year old that can put down more hot dogs than kobayashi and I'll point and say "there's an athlete". Calling a 12 year old who could be 4'10 200lbs but is good at a FPS an athlete is a joke. By your account those tween girls who are in the texting competitions are athletes.

I already said I have to concede on calling gaming a sport because I feel certain ways about games like chess. You do not have to be a professional anything to be called/considered an athlete that's why there are people we call "professional athletes". But calling someone an athlete just based on playing video games (because it's now recognized as a sport by the US govt [2 weeks ago they weren't athletes, but magically now because a piece of paper was signed they are]) is just silly.