Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Negative hype from media outlets

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I gave up on this game.

ESO should have been something similar to Archeage or EQNext, instead it will compete with Rift, SWTOR, and WoW.

ESO will be another 1 month wonder, everyone will rave about it before launch, everyone will claim this game is fun as hell, but then after a month they all realize that the game is repetitive and nothing new.

It happened many times before, it will happen with this title as well.

If they don't put Sandbox elements in it, I don't see this game being a success.........................give us TES 6 Bethesda please.

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by ste2000

I gave up on this game.

ESO should have been something similar to Archeage or EQNext, instead it will compete with Rift, SWTOR, and WoW.

ESO will be another 1 month wonder, everyone will rave about it before launch, everyone will claim this game is fun as hell, but then after a month they all realize that the game is repetitive and nothing new.

What else do you see in your crystal ball? Any tips for the 14:30 at Warwick? How about 6 Lotto numbers? 

And yes it should have some of those awesome features like in EQNext that we know so much about.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by noncley

THE HORROR! It's barbaric!

Thanks for linking a one month old video...again. And let's ignore all the best of E3 awards from places like Digital Trends (best MMO,) Game Critics Awards (best RPG,) Game Informer (best MMO,) IGN (best MMO,) etc. They've obviously all been paid-off and, as everyone in the internet knows, we here at mmorpg.com know what's best.

Gloom and doom threads are always the best for shock value and attracting the masses...just ask the Fox News editorial staff.

6 months ago I said "let's wait for release"
    3 months ago I said "let's wait for release"
    1 month ago I said "let's wait for release"

Guess what I'm saying today?

But hey, at least you're pulling some attention away from the EQ Next forums today.

LOL. I remember all the 'Best Of...' awards another game got before it was launched.

That game was SWTOR.

Oh, and we waited until launch and then launch came and it was precisely as bad as we said it would be.

Sure it's all hype and most of it half-cocked hype from morons who don't get that nothing has changed except who they're concentrating their pitch on (hint--Skyrim players.) Any idiot knows that ALL themeparks can be soloed. But when Zmax said that you can play ESO like a single player game...hey queue the thunderclap...  the sky fell and chicken little got squashed.

The only point in linking counterhype is to show the idiocy of it all.

This game will suck or not. We'll know next spring...except you of course because you already know... must be nice to be that certain about shit you know nothing about...nice stress-free life...LOL.

LOL. But dude, we do know about this. We've seen the footage and the stills and the developer conversations and the gameplay previews. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by jimprouner

Thanks for linking a one month old video...again. And let's ignore all the best of E3 awards from places like Digital Trends (best MMO,) Game Critics Awards (best RPG,) Game Informer (best MMO,) IGN (best MMO,) etc. They've obviously all been paid-off and, as everyone in the internet knows, we here at mmorpg.com know what's best.

Gloom and doom threads are always the best for shock value and attracting the masses...just ask the Fox News editorial staff.

But hey, at least you're pulling some attention away from the EQ Next forums today.

LOL. I remember all the 'Best Of...' awards another game got before it was launched.

That game was SWTOR.

Oh, and we waited until launch and then launch came and it was precisely as bad as we said it would be.

Sure it's all hype and most of it half-cocked hype from morons who don't get that nothing has changed except who they're concentrating their pitch on (hint--Skyrim players.) Any idiot knows that ALL themeparks can be soloed. But when Zmax said that you can play ESO like a single player game...hey queue the thunderclap...  the sky fell and chicken little got squashed.

This game will suck or not. We'll know next spring...except you of course because you already know... must be nice to be that certain about shit you know nothing about...nice stress-free life...LOL.

Sure, maybe if all they said was most of the game can be solo'd, then I could buy that as still within the boundary of MMOs.  But we both know they said, and implied a lot more than that.  They went on to say things like "This is more a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game than an MMO."   You can't just ignore all these quotes!   The message is clear.  This is Skyrim online, and not a real MMO.

I know it sucks.  I was hoping for a real MMO too, but that isn't what we are getting.  Time to face facts brother.

The thing is that they changed nothing and overnight they started promoting the "single player experience" crap. If the new hype campaign had been accompanied by a change or two, I could buy that they were redesigning, But they changed nothing but their spin. I watched for that.

That leads me to believe that all we're seeing is a new marketing campaign spin to try to attract non-MMOers. 

Except we weren't even going to get raids at the start, so it pretty much was a single player game with some dungeons.  Then consoles announcement comes, and they start hyping single player.   I can't help but to think they hadn't done much or any work on the end game group content anyways.  Thus, they don't have to redesign much of anything, as they hadn't done it, and these announcements lead me to believe they wont.

Actually you're not far off on the PvE end-game bit. When a few months back they announced that after 50 you could go do the other two alliance PVE areas bolstered to level 50+, many here thought that this was cool. I've been saying all along that it looks to  me like a post-50 PVE placeholder, since they had already said that the real post-50 PvE content, "Adventure Zones", wouldn't be ready for release.

Adventure zones were always meant to be their end-game, non-instanced raid area. They said more than once that the plan was to have 24-man raids there in an open world environment but that you wouldn't be fighting uber bosses like in traditional WOW raids. Instead they were designing those fights around large numbers of enemies. We shall see... with the release delay now there's even a chance that they will be ready for release.

But at any rate, this has never been what interests me about ESO. The game will work for me or not totally depending on what they do in Cyrodiil with the AvA. My plan all along has been to be there most of the time from level 10 on. Unless they screw-up the leveling in PvP and make it a lot slower than PvE (in which case I guess I'll have to pop-out to level) I plan to play there almost exclusively.

3-sided, large scale PvP, can be a lot of fun if it's done right. And they're spending a lot of time on it. But they do seem to be a bit gun-shy about talking too much about it. I chalk this up to the fact that when the game was first announced, a lot of the emphasis in interviews was about the 3-alliance PvP in Cyrodiil... and that pissed off the self-appointed "true TES fans" to no end. Just go back and look at most of the threads here from the beginning of the year and you'll see what I mean.

Can't say I blame Zmax for currently downplaying the PvP aspect. But make no mistake: the central part of the game always was and still is the 3-alliance conflict in Cyrodiil. That's not likely to change as long as Matt Firor is developing it. If he leaves, that would be the time to start worrying... just don't tell the anti=PvP crowd that it's still the same... mum's the word. We don't want them upset about that again.

Funny thing is that it's precisely this feature that they whined about so much that puts TESO squarely in the MMO category. If this was really being designed as a "single player game with some MMO stuff' we'd get the obligatory handful of 15-minute PvP scenarios tacked on...that's not the PvP they've designed: large scale tactical PvP meant to be played by hundreds at a time is what they're doing...it doesn't get much more MMO than that.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Coated
    Someone mentioned in another thread about expectations and what not. I'm going to assume that this game has such low expectations, that it can only go up from here. Seriously, If I had to rate this game right now, I'd rate it 'poo'. That wasn't a childish remark either, I'd really consider this game to be a steaming pile of crap right there at your feet.

Its a Cash grab a pile of themepark crap not a succesor in tradition of the Elder scrolls serie's.

I hope it fail and Bethesda put there knowledge and resources into a new improved Skyrim instead of this dumb themepark mmo.

Btw they don't alinate mmo market they embrace it they alinate the true elder scrolls fans who just want a elder scroll mmo in tradition of solo games not a WoW clone.

• jimprounerjimprouner Member Posts: 142

I gave up on this game.

If they don't put Sandbox elements in it, I don't see this game being a success.........................give us TES 6 Bethesda please.

Sandbox elements in? A sandbox game is just a themepark, but with elements removed.  After you remove all the structure, then you pretend no direction is better than 2 or 3 guided ones.

I just don't get you sandbox nuts.  When are you going to realize that the pure sandbox is a dead genre?

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower
    Originally posted by Coated
    Someone mentioned in another thread about expectations and what not. I'm going to assume that this game has such low expectations, that it can only go up from here. Seriously, If I had to rate this game right now, I'd rate it 'poo'. That wasn't a childish remark either, I'd really consider this game to be a steaming pile of crap right there at your feet.

Its a Cash grab a pile of themepark crap not a succesor in tradition of the Elder scrolls serie's.

I hope it fail and Bethesda put there knowledge and resources into a new improved Skyrim instead of this dumb themepark mmo.

Btw they don't alinate mmo market they embrace it they alinate the true elder scrolls fans who just want a elder scroll mmo in tradition of solo games not a WoW clone.

I really don't get what all of you are talking about. You all must be seeing different things then myself, because from what it looks like, the game looks perfectly fine.

All I keep hearing is people saying how bad this game will be, but none of you actually have definite proof to think that. I mean for the most part, ZMax hasn't shown us much, at least not enough to make an informed decision. Almost everyone who has actually PLAYED the game, seem to be satisfied with it and say the videos currently out there, don't even do the game justice.

Many of which are confused on why ZMax is doing that.

I trust people who have played the game, and I trust reliable sources more then some retards that never even touched the game. Such as Revision 3, is a reliable source to me, and they played it at E3. I trust them because they usually will say when a game is bad and when a game is good. No hype, just cold hard truth. They said they enjoyed it, and it plays exactly like an Elder Scrolls game, and it's so much better then any of the information and videos that are out there.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

TESO looks like garbage and I'm glad people are bashing it.  It's something that should have huge potential and it looks like they are doing everything they possibly can to create suck instead.

ES games are the pinnacle of PVE content and immersion.

So when they decide to MMO-iffy their game, they decide to focus on PvP and include no real MMO features or content.  WTF.  What morons decided on this design and even moreso, what morons in management thought this was a good idea?

There is no point to TESO.  It's looking to be an abomination of an MMO and an insult to Elder Scrolls.

An ES MMO should have zero PvP, and should be focused on amazing group-based PVE experiences, because if it's not all about group PVE, why should it even exist when people can already do some of the best single player cRPG action ever in their single player games.

When I first heard there was going to be an ES MMO I was pretty psyched.  The more I hear about it, the more I want to vomit because I just don't see how the crap they're creating is supposed to appeal to their legions of single player PVE fans in any way.

All I can say is that I'm glad EQNext is also on the horizon because NW is/was a waste of time and space, TESO is looking horrific, and everything else coming out is barely even worth mentioning as a discussion point of mediocrity.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

Originally posted by Voqar

TESO looks like garbage and I'm glad people are bashing it.  It's something that should have huge potential and it looks like they are doing everything they possibly can to create suck instead.

So when they decide to MMO-iffy their game, they decide to focus on PvP and include no real MMO features or content.  WTF.  What morons decided on this design and even moreso, what morons in management thought this was a good idea?

There is no point to TESO.  It's looking to be an abomination of an MMO and an insult to Elder Scrolls.

An ES MMO should have zero PvP, and should be focused on amazing group-based PVE experiences, because if it's not all about group PVE, why should it even exist when people can already do some of the best single player cRPG action ever in their single player games.

When I first heard there was going to be an ES MMO I was pretty psyched.  The more I hear about it, the more I want to vomit because I just don't see how the crap they're creating is supposed to appeal to their legions of single player PVE fans in any way.

All I can say is that I'm glad EQNext is also on the horizon because NW is/was a waste of time and space, TESO is looking horrific, and everything else coming out is barely even worth mentioning as a discussion point of mediocrity.

Actually, the funny thing is, from what I have seen it looks more PVE focused since apparently there is 200+ hours of questing for each faction. That is a ton of PVE, so not sure what the hell your talking about lol.

It shouldn't have PVP? Why not? I really can't find any good reason not to include PVP. Also, the faction system to me is a great idea, as it takes PVP to an area where it makes sense and you expect it. That means your whole factions land is PVE oriented since there is no PVP there, or at least not open PVP.

[mod edit]

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987

Actually, the funny thing is, from what I have seen it looks more PVE focused since apparently there is 200+ hours of questing for each faction. That is a ton of PVE, so not sure what the hell your talking about lol.

It shouldn't have PVP? Why not? I really can't find any good reason not to include PVP. Also, the faction system to me is a great idea, as it takes PVP to an area where it makes sense and you expect it. That means your whole factions land is PVE oriented since there is no PVP there, or at least not open PVP.

Again, I feel like some of you .. just don't know how to think properly or something -.-

Also, mentioning EQN goes to show me you are really dumb. How much info is even known for EQN? Last I checked it was like nothing at all.

I can think of 100's of thousands of reasons why it should have pvp.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Again, I feel like some of you .. just don't know how to think properly or something -.-

Also, mentioning EQN goes to show me you are really dumb. How much info is even known for EQN? Last I checked it was like nothing at all.

I can think of 100's of thousands of reasons why it should have pvp.

Did you mean shouldn't ... or are you just agreeing with me?

That game was SWTOR.

LOL. But dude, we do know about this. We've seen the footage and the stills and the developer conversations and the gameplay previews. 

Oh you've played the release version in the future and came back to tell us? You lucky sod you!

Like I said... it's so much less stressful not having your head cluttered with facts and shit, eh?

Look, I know you're angry about people criticising a game in which you've apparently vested a lot of your emotional worth but we've seen gameplay footage, we've seen ingame stills, we've heard developers talk about the game and reviewers who have had experience of the game. And it doesn't look good.

I gave up on this game.

Sandbox elements in? A sandbox game is just a themepark, but with elements removed.  After you remove all the structure, then you pretend no direction is better than 2 or 3 guided ones.

I just don't get you sandbox nuts.  When are you going to realize that the pure sandbox is a dead genre?

What you've defined is not a sandbox. It's an empty box. Both Eve and SWG had many, many structural elements within them and they are considered the quintessential sandboxes. Research them.

That game was SWTOR.

Oh you've played the release version in the future and came back to tell us? You lucky sod you!

Like I said... it's so much less stressful not having your head cluttered with facts and shit, eh?

Look, I know you're angry about people criticising a game in which you've apparently vested a lot of your emotional worth but we've seen gameplay footage, we've seen ingame stills, we've heard developers talk about the game and reviewers who have had experience of the game. And it doesn't look good.

The problem with that is a game is an interactive media. Meaning unless you have actually played it, you can't actually make a very good review of the game. It is why reviewers actually play the games first and then review you it.

Also what you have seen and heard really is only a small portion of the game. It would be like rating a movie by it's preview ... but only worse. You can't say a game is bad with out playing it since playing it is the point, not what you see. A game wouldn't be a game with out the interaction. A game can look like complete crap, yet be super fun to actually play it.

As for the reviewers, that is mixed sort of. I have heard mostly good thing from reviewers who have played the game. Actually the only bad I have heard are from mostly people who have not played at all. That right there tells you a lot.

All the negative hype is just that, people being negative and probably would hate the game no matter how good it was because you just don't want it to be good, or you have some serious issues and doubts about the game in general because it's an elder scrolls mmo lol.

I really don't know, I have heard the same info you have. I have seen the same footage you have. I have not seen anything what I would consider bad. Now I realize we have different views, but I hate angry birds and you don't se me going to the angry birds website on their forums just to hate on it. Why should I waste my time on a game I don't like? So why are you wasting your time here? Bored? 

That game was SWTOR.

The problem with that is a game is an interactive media. Meaning unless you have actually played it, you can't actually make a very good review of the game. It is why reviewers actually play the games first and then review you it.

Also what you have seen and heard really is only a small portion of the game. It would be like rating a movie by it's preview ... but only worse. You can't say a game is bad with out playing it since playing it is the point, not what you see. A game wouldn't be a game with out the interaction. A game can look like complete crap, yet be super fun to actually play it.

As for the reviewers, that is mixed sort of. I have heard mostly good thing from reviewers who have played the game. Actually the only bad I have heard are from mostly people who have not played at all. That right there tells you a lot.

All the negative hype is just that, people being negative and probably would hate the game no matter how good it was because you just don't want it to be good, or you have some serious issues and doubts about the game in general because it's an elder scrolls mmo lol.

I really don't know, I have heard the same info you have. I have seen the same footage you have. I have not seen anything what I would consider bad. Now I realize we have different views, but I hate angry birds and you don't se me going to the angry birds website on their forums just to hate on it. Why should I waste my time on a game I don't like? So why are you wasting your time here? Bored? 

Who says I am wasting my time? You? The others of us who think, for the evidence, this game is going to be severely disappointing enjoy analysing its highly visible faults and dissecting its patently ridiculous marketing. The empty-skulled grinning of the fanbois can't stop this - though they try - just as they couldn't stop our examination of SWTOR. And which one of us was right about SWTOR? The criticial analysts or the fanbois?

I gave up on this game.

What you've defined is not a sandbox. It's an empty box. Both Eve and SWG had many, many structural elements within them and they are considered the quintessential sandboxes. Research them.

No its not an empty box, because it still has mobs and rocks in it.  Sort of like a real sandbox with a couple basic toys, and a whole lot of sand.  Then you are free to do whatever you want. [mod edit]

That game was SWTOR.

Who says I am wasting my time? You? The others of us who think, for the evidence, this game is going to be severely disappointing enjoy analysing its highly visible faults and dissecting its patently ridiculous marketing. The empty-skulled grinning of the fanbois can't stop this - though they try - just as they couldn't stop our examination of SWTOR. And which one of us was right about SWTOR? The criticial analysts or the fanbois?

I am simply speaking from what I see.

Also, this isn't SWTOR. Comparing it to another game is kinda dumb I my opinion. Course I never played SWTOR so I can't really comment on it. Never saw any interest in it.

Also, who knows, maybe you will be right in the end. Congratulations, if that ends up being the case. I really do not care.

My current point of view though is you are being over dramatic with the negative hype. 

As for wasting your time? Well do you consider the time spent here productive? Do you have some specific goal here to achieve or something? Also, evidence? I am sorry, but their is no evidence that the game will be disappointing, that is an opinion, it can't be proven. Analyzing? WHAT are you analyzing? Faults only become faults when they exist, the game isn't out yet so you don't know if they are faults. Good try though. Ridiculous marketing? Maybe, I don't know the first thing about marketing, so I won't even comment on that. However, marketing really has very little to do with the actual game itself.

You can keep talking, but all I hear coming out of your mouth is your opinionated negative garbage and your only so called proof is SWTOR, like as if it has anything to do this.

That game was SWTOR.

I am simply speaking from what I see.

Also, this isn't SWTOR. Comparing it to another game is kinda dumb I my opinion. Course I never played SWTOR so I can't really comment on it. Never saw any interest in it.

Also, who knows, maybe you will be right in the end. Congratulations, if that ends up being the case. I really do not care.

My current point of view though is you are being over dramatic with the negative hype. 

As for wasting your time? Well do you consider the time spent here productive? Do you have some specific goal here to achieve or something? Also, evidence? I am sorry, but their is no evidence that the game will be disappointing, that is an opinion, it can't be proven. Analyzing? WHAT are you analyzing? Faults only become faults when they exist, the game isn't out yet so you don't know if they are faults. Good try though. Ridiculous marketing? Maybe, I don't know the first thing about marketing, so I won't even comment on that. However, marketing really has very little to do with the actual game itself.

You can keep talking, but all I hear coming out of your mouth is your opinionated negative garbage and your only so called proof is SWTOR, like as if it has anything to do this.

Don't forget the travesty that was GW2.

Getting tired of the large quote blocks >.>

Well, I never was a guild wars fan to begin with, so I never tried GW2. I also don't actively follow it, so I have no clue about it at all. If you say it was a travesty, I will trust you on that. Though I do have to ask, why you mentioned it?

Originally posted by Total_Hunt

I gave up on this game.

What else do you see in your crystal ball? Any tips for the 14:30 at Warwick? How about 6 Lotto numbers? 

And yes it should have some of those awesome features like in EQNext that we know so much about.

I understand your sarcasm, but after playing every kind of MMORPG for the last 11 years, I kinda have the feeling of what will work and what won't.

I don't even have to play a game anymore to understand what the game is all about, who is aimed for, and how succesfull it will be.

All I need to do is reading Developers official statements, interviews and gathering info scattered throughout the web, then putting the puzzle together.

I also developed a "developer bullshit filter" so when they say something, I know what they really mean.

I already predicted the failure of many MMORPGs WAY BEFORE their official launch (just check my history) such as  WAR, SWTOR, TSW, Aion just to name few.

But I also predicted that GW2 would do well and it did, GW2 is the most innovative and fresh MMO to come out since WoW.

And if you think I am a GW2 fanboy...............I played the game for a month, maxed my Warrior and got all the best end game equipment, then I quit and never touched it again.

But the fact I don't like GW2 genre doesn't mean that I can't see why other people like it.......................at the same time I don't have to hate a game to say it will be a failure.

The next failure in line will be FFXIV, yeah I know I am against the masses who think this game is great, but as I explained before I don't look at the hype in order to judge a game, but at its features.

Just wait and see.............

ESO started tragically (check the first interviews of Zenimax) but it is getting better thanks to people like me who objected at their initial design.

Zenimax is now taking more time and it is implementing features who were deemed "too difficult" to implement (trademark of Mr Firor) when they first announced the game.

If it weren't for the critics, ESO would have been released ages ago, but Zenimax decided to make some improvement before launch, because they realized they were heading towards the SWTOR route.

My only problem though is that, the initial design was too similar to SWTOR, so I am not sure if they have enough time to change enough to make it "something different" and not the usual boring and uninspiring themepark, like pretty much any other game released in the last 10 years.

But I am still optimistic, as I said I noticed Zenmax is making an effort,  I just need to play Beta to make up my mind on this game.

But at the moment I am still not convinced they did enough to improve it from their original design.

Originally posted by Total_Hunt

I gave up on this game.

I understand your sarcasm, but after playing every kind of MMORPG for the last 11 years, I kinda have the feeling of what will work and what won't.

I don't even have to play a game anymore to understand what the game is all about, who is aimed for, and how succesfull it will be.

All I need to do is reading Developers official statements, interviews and gathering info scattered throughout the web, then putting the puzzle together.

I also developed a "developer bullshit filter" so when they say something, I know what they really mean.

I already predicted the failure of many MMORPGs WAY BEFORE their official launch (just check my history) such as  WAR, SWTOR, TSW, Aion just to name few.

But I also predicted that GW2 would do well and it did, GW2 is the most innovative and fresh MMO to come out since WoW.

And if you think I am a GW2 fanboy...............I played the game for a month, maxed my Warrior and got all the best end game equipment, then I quit and never touched it again.

But the fact I don't like GW2 genre doesn't mean that I can't see why other people like it.......................at the same time I don't have to hate a game to say it will be a failure.

The next failure in line will be FFXIV, yeah I know I am against the masses who think this game is great, but as I explained before I don't look at the hype in order to judge a game, but at its features.

Just wait and see.............

ESO started tragically (check the first interviews of Zenimax) but it is getting better thanks to people like me who objected at their initial design.

Zenimax is now taking more time and it is implementing features who were deemed "too difficult" to implement (trademark of Mr Firor) when they first announced the game.

If it weren't for the critics, ESO would have been released ages ago, but Zenimax decided to make some improvement before launch, because they realized they were heading towards the SWTOR route.

My only problem though is that, the initial design was too similar to SWTOR, so I am not sure if they have enough time to change enough to make it "something different" and not the usual boring and uninspiring themepark, like pretty much any other game released in the last 10 years.

But I am still optimistic, as I said I noticed Zenmax is making an effort,  I just need to play Beta to make up my mind on this game.

But at the moment I am still not convinced they did enough to improve it from their original design.

No offence, but it isn't particularly hard to tell when an mmo will fail as most do. So your track record means practically nothing. It would be like having a 6 sided dice with 4 being on 5 sides and 2 being on one side and saying you are great at predicting that it will land on 4.

I have been playing MMOs just as long as you have, and I am very, very, very picky. I hate Guild Wars, never touched Guild Wars 2. I hate WoW and anything resembling it. I didn't care much for TERA, though the combat system was good, everything else sucked majorly. It would take me forever to mention every mmo I have tried and hated.

Now the issue is, you say you are not convinced? Convinced of what? If you are thinking ESO will b some amazing super game, then ya, of course you are not convinced. If you simply assume it will be a good game, something decent to play, then your expectation will most certainly be met. There is no way the game will bad, it may not be amazing, but I don't think it will be bad. Nor do I think it will fail at all.

As for it seeming to much like SWTOR in the past, I never saw it. I heard people say this many times, but really it was a stupid claim. Just because 2 games have similar features doesn't mean both will fail. The reason for this is because even if 2 games have similar feature 1 can use those features in a better way then the other. It's why one racing game can suck and another can be good. Both games have racing, but both games are not considered equal. It's how you use the features, not the features themselves that make a game bad.

Again, I do not think ESO will be some amazing game, I think it will be good though, and I think it is dumb everyone has to be so negative and act like they some how can magically predict the future and act like ESO will fail, when it's not even out yet.

I have more reason to assume ESO will be a good game because of the Elder Scrolls track record. So I will assume it will be a decent game untill proven other wise, which will be at release.

No offence, but it isn't particularly hard to tell when an mmo will fail as most do. So your track record means practically nothing. It would be like having a 6 sided dice with 4 being on 5 sides and 2 being on one side and saying you are great at predicting that it will land on 4.

I have been playing MMOs just as long as you have, and I am very, very, very picky. I hate Guild Wars, never touched Guild Wars 2. I hate WoW and anything resembling it. I didn't care much for TERA, though the combat system was good, everything else sucked majorly. It would take me forever to mention every mmo I have tried and hated.

No offence taken, it is not the first time I have this kind of comment thrown at me.

I had it with SWTOR fanboys, WAR fanboys, TSW fanboys and all the other games I criticised before (quite a few).

But see, the difference between me and you is that I don't have to hate a game to predict it will be crap, and I don't have to love a game to predict it will be good (You apparently missed the part where I was talking about GW2).

I don't base my judgements on what I LIKE or what I HATE but on the features of the game and what kind of player thee game could appeal to, unlike you who seems to base your judjement on what you hate or like (green highlights)

I know pretty much every type of MMORPG player by now and I know that ESO original design would have attracted the SWTOR crowd (AKA burn the game fast and move on).

You say that it is not difficult to predict if a game will fail or not, although I do actually predict failure of games that 80% of people think will be a hit (just check their hype pre-release)

I mean it is not like I am betting on a safe horse.............am I?

I am doing the same with ESO which is a popular title, again, not playing it safe am I?

Anyway you are contesting my prediction (which you are entitled to obviously), which means that you think ESO will succeed.

So one of us will be wrong..................let's have this conversation 2 months after ESO release and let's see who was right and who was wrong, then you can tell me if it is so easy to predict if a game fail or not, as you say.

And by the way I am a TES fanboy (check my signature), who played the Saga since Arena (ceck Wikipedia), and want ESO to be a success, yet I don't think it will be...............just to confirm my claim that I don't have to hate a game to predict it will bomb.

I might change my mind after I play Beta, as I said before, Zenimax tried to change and implement few things since first they announced the game and people complained about.

It could be enough, but I doubt it....................Firor doesn't look like someone that is bold enough to do something too different from what the Marketing Department suggests.

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124

As long as this game is as good as skyrim I couldn't really care less about the mmo bit, if that turns out ok then bonus if not its another elder scrolls as far as I'm concerned, bonus.

No offence taken, it is not the first time I have this kind of comment thrown at me.

I had it with SWTOR fanboys, WAR fanboys, TSW fanboys and all the other games I criticised before (quite a few).

But see, the difference between me and you is that I don't have to hate a game to predict it will be crap, and I don't have to love a game to predict it will be good (You apparently missed the part where I was talking about GW2).

I don't base my judgements on what I LIKE or what I HATE but on the features of the game and what kind of player thee game could appeal to, unlike you who seems to base your judjement on what you hate or like (green highlights)

I know pretty much every type of MMORPG player by now and I know that ESO original design would have attracted the SWTOR crowd (AKA burn the game fast and move on).

You say that it is not difficult to predict if a game will fail or not, although I do actually predict failure of games that 80% of people think will be a hit (just check their hype pre-release)

I mean it is not like I am betting on a safe horse.............am I?

I am doing the same with ESO which is a popular title, again, not playing it safe am I?

Anyway you are contesting my prediction (which you are entitled to obviously), which means that you think ESO will succeed.

So one of us will be wrong..................let's have this conversation 2 months after ESO release and let's see who was right and who was wrong, then you can tell me if it is so easy to predict if a game fail or not, as you say.

And by the way I am a TES fanboy (check my signature), who played the Saga since Arena (ceck Wikipedia), and want ESO to be a success, yet I don't think it will be...............just to confirm my claim that I don't have to hate a game to predict it will bomb.

I might change my mind after I play Beta, as I said before, Zenimax tried to change and implement few things since first they announced the game and people complained about.

It could be enough, but I doubt it....................Firor doesn't look like someone that is bold enough to do something too different from what the Marketing Department suggests.

By your standard, since I am a Sonic fan boy, I couldn't possibly hate any sonic game. Which is funny, because I do hate some of them. It's very easy to like certain games and hate other games even if you are a fan boy in that particular series of games. I still do not go around tooting my own horn and act like I know which sonic games will fail and which will not. Even if I am correct most of the time, it really doesn't mean anything.

You say you do not hate games, but that is a lie. You are human, humans have likes and dislikes, you are not exempt from that.

Also this isn't about being right or wrong, this about being smart and knowing that the game isn't out yet, and knowing how much you think a game will fail doesn't mean it will. We are not psychic and no matter the persons track record , that isn't proof of such.

Do I think ESO will be a success? Really, I have no idea. Do I think it will be good? Yes. I have not heard anything that makes me think the game would be bad. What I like isn't generally what everyone else may like though. I am not as bold as you to say I do not hate games, because I simply am not a liar. It's not like I hated guild wars before I played it. I own it for crying out load lol. I tried it, and played it for a few months and didn't like it all that much.

I judge games based on my tastes after trying it. Even then I do not say a game will fail. I simply say I do not like it. You are here tooting that you are not convinced and saying you think it will fail. That is much worse then saying you hate it. At least then it's your own opinion. However, you are making this out to be as if it's fact, as if you are correct since apparently you have some sort of track record for this lol. Unless they change it, they will fail.

Seems like everyone is a psychic these days. It's like they never saw a movie they thought was going to suck and it turned out to be amazing.

Edit: To be honest, you being an Elder Scrolls fan boy works against you. I find most ES Fans hate the fact an MMO is being made out of their beloved series. So being a fan boy actually makes your opinion MORE biased, not less.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Guitarbry

As long as this game is as good as skyrim I couldn't really care less about the mmo bit, if that turns out ok then bonus if not its another elder scrolls as far as I'm concerned, bonus.

But for you what made Skyrim good? That's the underlining question here.

if you enjoyed things like being able to go anywhere, well this game will have levels. So that's not going to be the same experience.

if you like being able to attack and kill anything, well this is a MMO in which you will share the game world with many many people. So giving them all the option to kill a certain NPC for your quest would be a disaster.

do you enjoy the story. Well again how will you fill about 100+ people around you doing the same exact story. Do you feel unique anymore in the game?

stuff like this is what you and others should really think about before getting too overhyped.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design