Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

League of Legends makes the big leagues and other weird facts

jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

Opened up the USA Today this morning and saw this.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2013/07/11/league-of-legends-at-staples-center/2504935/

Figured I'd share.  Check out those numbers.  There are approximately 313 men, women, and children in the United States of America as of 2012 statistics.  If 32 million people are playing this game (not that I think that each of those account represents a single entity, nor even an entity of the US) that would be 10% of everyone in the country playing this game.

To put that in a more fun perspective.  That's about 3 percent less than all the foreign born persons in the country.  So try to imagine anyone you know who was not born in this country sneaking out to play League of Legends whenever you weren't looking.

It's also about 3 percent less that all the black or African American people that you know, so again, if you are black, and you look to your left, and that guy is not playing League of Legends, odds are that you and the guy to your right would be.

It is about 4 percent less than all the persons 65 years or older.  So when grandma and grandad say that they are heading to Bingo, or to play some skeet ball, they're really breaking out their laptops (haha laptops) and playing some League of Legends.

It is 4 percent less than the poverty level.  No wonder people are poor, who has time to work when there are battles to be won, characters to be bought, and tournaments to win in League of Legends!!

Anyway, just having fun with it.  Nice to see one of our own in the newspaper.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Not surprising. This should shut up those who don't believe there are 50M MMO players in the US (which includes LOL in those industry reports).

Online games are big business here.

In fact, my two kids play LoL religiously (not me though), so it is 50% in my household. I bet way more than 10% of their classes play LoL.

May be finally e-sport is going to be as big in the US as in S Korea.

• AysonoAysono Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Not surprising. This should shut up those who don't believe there are 50M MMO players in the US (which includes LOL in those industry reports).

In fact, my two kids play LoL religiously (not me though), so it is 50% in my household. I bet way more than 10% of their classes play LoL.

Online games are going strong, no doubt about it... but LoL is considered a MOBA, not a MMO.

In fact, Main Street and Wall Street seem to always have doubts in the MMO sectors as you can see frequently in articles from BusinessWeek, MarketWatch, Forbes and such they are often refered to as the "so-called MMOs".

Without the recognition of both Main Street and Wall Street, LoL would never have this kind of success.

The founder of Riot was a banker. Tencent is an international mainstream business giant. Combine both ends of the world you get profits.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Aysono
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Online games are going strong, no doubt about it... but LoL is considered a MOBA, not a MMO.

In fact, Main Street and Wall Street seem to always have doubts in the MMO sectors as you can see frequently in articles from BusinessWeek, MarketWatch, Forbes and such they are often refered to as the "so-called MMOs".

Without the recognition of both Main Street and Wall Street, LoL would never have this kind of success.

The founder of Riot was a banker. Tencent is an international mainstream business giant. Combine both ends of the world you get profits.

In MOBA is considered MMO in some industry research firms. To some extent, the label matters very little as long as it is clear.

MOBA, and LOL in particular, is clearly much bigger than MMORPGs, and no doubt devs are paying attention (which no one should be surprise that supply is paying attention to demand).