Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of travel do you want in EQNext?

WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
What kind of travel do you want in EQNext?

Comments

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

option 2 or 3 is fine with me, I'd prefer 3 though.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

I voted portals as per post-PoP but I think you should have to discover the end point first.

I would have gone with long travel times, but I think the majority of players would find this tedious.

• wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278

Out of these three options, I choose the slow travel - as that is what I prefer.  However, with that said, with this being a free to play game, I will just end up boxing a character with transportation options if there is one.

If you need to travel a lot in this game (quests, friends, fighting areas, etc), the appeal of spending a large % of the time holding down the arrow key to get from point A to B is not good.  

Lets say that a trip must be made 5x, 10 min trip each.   If you were able to port and save 5 minutes off this run, wouldn't you rather hold down the arrow key for 25 minutes instead of 50 minutes?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Fast travel between friendly major cities (not towns), Druid/Wizard locales on timers and costal ferries on timers. I think mounts are fine early on but get faster as you either level a riding skill or get higher level, maybe capped as you go like EQ2 is for gathering.

The mounts opinion depends on how big the world is. I'm hoping that the areas between cities and major spots is big enough to warrant a mount :)
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Pre-POP transport + taxi service + mounts (realistic upkeep, not Pokemon style)
  • TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Slow travel all the way; throw in some wiz portals and druid rings; those of which you MUST visit first before you can teleport there.  

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498

You left the best option off the poll.

Namely, early WoW style, where you have long slow travel the first time you go to an area, then fast(-er) travel once you identify a nearby flight point.

• Pneuma001Pneuma001 Member Posts: 39

I'd prefer a slower type of travel with shortcuts available by consulting other players.

Wizard spires and Druid Rings that you have to visit before you can cast the spell to get there. This should be made a very attractive option. Get people to talk to each other!

Run speed buffs/songs.  Group run speed buffs.  Keep them useful!  With the advent of mounts in EQ2 nobody cared about getting a SOW anymore. Suck!

No automatic free instant portals anywhere.  I'm not opposed to timed teleportation events between specific places.  Maybe give them a small cost to use.

Limited flight path options, which you have to visit before you can use them.  They should either be expensive, moderately slow, have timed cooldowns or be somewhat restrictive in where they can take you.

Cheap or free boats and caravans which travel on specific routes, but only leave at specific intervals and are moderately slow.

The options where you can go AFK while covering ground should still take you some amount of time to complete.

A lot of people want the travel to take a long time.  I think travel should take no more than 30 minutes to get almost anywhere in the world, assuming you take the correct routes.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by dandurin

Namely, early WoW style, where you have long slow travel the first time you go to an area, then fast(-er) travel once you identify a nearby flight point.

early WOW sped  up travel w mounts being available at lvl 40

EQ didnt offer player mounts until years later

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

I like this option.  Forcing people to explore the world is great, but those boat rides across Ocean of Tears got a little tedious after doing them for the 100th time.

• GholosGholos Member Posts: 209
    I voted 3, with portals made by players (only some classes) just to speed travels in some circustances and with mounts

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
    -Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I don't want fast travel at will nor do I want slow travel.

What I want is a world large enough to where normal travel appears to take a while and the game allows the use of mounts, portals, "limited fast travel" and speed buffs.  As long as the portals are somewhat similar to Asheron's Call in that everyone can take up the skill (hopefully the game is a skill based system) but in limted to where you can go based on whether or not you ben there and have tied to a portal In the area.  In other words any player can portal recall but your limited to 1 or 2 ties so you still have to rely on others to get to places you cant get to fast.

Basically I want many options but the world to me is the most important part, it needs to be huge and I'm talking bigger then any non space based MMO to date.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ClassicEQClassicEQ Member Posts: 145

Landslide results. Immersion wins again.

We need to pay PLAYERS for speed spells and ports, not random rocks and waypoints.

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    This is a good example of a question where many people think they want the most hard-core option (3) but when it comes down to it they really don't.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I like slow travel, but epic mount solo quests, and epic guild portal quests, I am talking quests that might take a month at a time to finish as a solo/guild

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

How about some kind of hybrid?

Public transportation -- magical.  Fixed portals that have timers, similar to the Nexus spires in EQ1, set to 5 minutes.   The click and go portals (like the PoK stones) cut into social time.   Make the click and go portals operate more like the Priest of Discord ("I wish to go to Discord") only about 1 minute delay instead of 20 seconds, and have these require a consumable component.

Public transportation -- mundane.  I'd love to see more in-game preplanned travel options -- boats, coaches, etc.  These move faster than a character / mount can run

For player ports, I'd like to see a personal / group travel spell that travels 1 zone, just a little faster than you could run there at fastest speed.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by ClassicEQ

We need to pay PLAYERS for speed spells and ports, not random rocks and waypoints.

Since the best option isn't included, not much can be deduced from this poll.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

still like how Asheron's Call did fast travel better than any other game.  In case you didnt know, you could be tied to one portal, and have the ability to summon that portal.  You had to visit the portal to tie to it

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    dislike any kind of slow travel in games,makes feel like driving your car or taking the bus to work,realy hope they dont uce slow travel.
  • Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

I want travel that's a part of the experience, is rewarding and fun(Like skyrim, where things happen on the roads and in the wild, traveling is one of the best parts of skyrim because you never know what's going to happen or what you're going to discover or find),

Not a barrier between experiences (Holding W for 60 minutes for the sake of holding W for 60 minutes),

Along with some options for faster travel as a utility to be used when needed.

That way I want* to always travel by land and explore first, but I have the option to fast travel if I need to get to an event or meet up with friends fast.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• BlackcatZeroBlackcatZero Member UncommonPosts: 58
    2, Because I'm more EQ2 Player and only got to play EQ1 after POP.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Caldicot
    This is a good example of a question where many people think they want the most hard-core option (3) but when it comes down to it they really don't.

can you please prove this as fact?

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by ClassicEQ

Since the best option isn't included, not much can be deduced from this poll.

The "best option" is solely your opinion..

I never  liked WoW's method.

• mos0811mos0811 Member Posts: 173

I chose option 3.  EvE has slow travel for 99% of it's game (capital ships are the difference).  When Capital ships are used, then it costs a resource which was paid for by isk.

If they have any type of meaningful asset destruction where two sides are fighting over x resource, you don't want fast travel either.  As a side note, when you die in PvP, you should go back to the city you were bound to and not just some random spawn near were you died; this is how they did it in Shadowbane as well.

As for the specifics of the OP, slow travel makes getting somewhere more meaningful.  It cost something to get there; TIME.  Time is valuable and it helps players choose what area is more valuable to them.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Number 3 because each travel was a minigame itself in EQ. It required planning and involved risk. Wonder if the memememee generation can ever accept it though.