Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest mmo since WoW

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Can't help but laugh everytime i read the title of this topic. image

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Originally posted by pauly6478
    They rename Final fantasy to Wildstar? I missed something.

Its funny because, Wildstar will be worse than this game, and this game is already nothing new.  

Yay! More WoW Clones!!!!

+1

• Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538
    Originally posted by duuude007
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

Quality wise, maybe. Combat wise, not even close, it's a cheesy spammy EQ2 combat system that makes you yawn after 10minutes.

Gameplay wise the game is painfully mediocre, offering nothing new whatsoever with no reason to even have a NDA. ARR doesn't have a single quality any MMO would consider stealing. Graphics wise the game is second to none but that is a familiar tale of fail.

You can expect 90% of the playerbase to solo to max, a mindless spamfest for a combat system and a sleep inducing MMO formula that's been done to death. It won't fail like 1.0 but it's far from special. In fact, I see no reason to play this game for more then 1-3 months.

The NDA is in force because much of phase 1 and phase 2,  is full of placeholders. How you can comment on the combat without breaching the NDA is beyond me. Incomplete is incomplete is incomplete.

We can comment on it from phase three and its slow as fuck and not interesting in the least. It neither has the down time that 11 has nor the speed of any other game. So not only does your resource not matter at all, you're still spamming boring abilities.

• WittenWitten Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

Its funny because, Wildstar will be worse than this game, and this game is already nothing new.  

Yay! More WoW Clones!!!!

+1

You guys keep thinking there will be a super revolutionary MMO.

News flash. Unless it's Virtual Reality, you will continue to see more of the same elements from past MMOs in future MMOs.

You see any flying cars yet? Things don't change so quickly, they evolve.

And yeah, ARR is different. It's unfortunate you can't see it.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Free to play games like STO and SWTOR have tiny little measly content add ons, very rarely.

Look at GW2, no major content update since launch, just silly side events.

If you want a game that can keep a fast paced development, you want a pay to play game, you want FFXIV.

• WittenWitten Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Free to play games like STO and SWTOR have tiny little measly content add ons, very rarely.

If you want a game that can keep a fast paced development, you want a pay to play game, you want FFXIV.

Oh damn! Testify!

Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Can't help but laugh everytime i read the title of this topic. image

Me too, at all the people who doubt it.

• NeutorNeutor Member Posts: 101

I wasn't going to buy it, wasn't even on my radar

Got in the beta P3, thought it was boring and damn all the cutscenes, stopped playing.  Next day logged back in, got through all the tutorial stuff and now I hate it when I can't log in, I want them to take my money now...oh wait they already did.  I went from hardcore GW2 to not even logging in since I got into beta, i just find that game shallow and dull now.  

This coming from someone that isn't a FF fanboi, I don' t know anything about the lore, the universe or the story.  This is just a damn good game.

Join us dtguilds.com
  • MagKilnMagKiln Member Posts: 46

Definitely not a WOW killer, I once heard that Blizzard will kill WOW. That will probably be the case. There is nothing out there that will kill WOW Nothing. I am not a big WOW fan just know they did very well over the years and continue to Rock it.

I like SE and know they are doing great things but its just not in the cards, OP went all in with 2 pair! LOL

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Goldenboy93
    Originally posted by Reserton
    Originally posted by Goldenboy93
    Originally posted by khameleon
    That game was terrible and scared away at least 40% of those players to where they won't even try this new version. The ones that have come back get this version for FREE, so that will not count as a sale. For example, I bought the collector's edition for myself and my girl, we both get a free CE this time around.

I picked up the CE for me and my wife years ago as well...is there some promotion going on where we get to trade in those codes for free versions of the upcoming CE for A Realm Reborn?

Not a promotion. If you bought 1.0 CE you get ARR CE free of charge, automatic upgrade, can login for a free month also on launch. You will get all the new digital items that you get with ARR CE.

Fantastic, thanks for the heads up! Will there be an e-mail about this when it launches? Or do we just wait until it launches and then go download it from the site? Sorry for the questions, I just went to the ARR site and there's no info, or places to sign up. Do we just re-install FF14 and sign in through that and it'll upgrade?

Cheers! :)

It is an all new download so it will not upgrade an existing version. Even the current beta 3 client will need to be uninstalled and the phase4/release client will need to be installed fresh. You should already be able to sign into your original accounts, download the current client and get into the last of this beta phase this weekend if you want too. If you bought the original CEs but never opened them then you still use the original code you got with them to create a new service account for you and your wife.

All die, so die well.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Witten

Oh damn! Testify!

Realy GW2 has not had content update? http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates  I guess the one they just did was chopped liver....

Played previous FF games - MEH - nothing exciting to me. If you like it fine, but it is not the savior of the MMO genre like people in this thread think it will be.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

In the early 80s nobody would have been able to predict that Microsoft would some day beat a giant like IBM at its own game. IBM was dominant and it looked like it would never change. Even now 30 years later IBM is still doing fine but they have no shortage of competitors for every one of their products. Also keep in mind that in the early 80s there were a bunch of companies just like MS trying to do the same thing or something similar. Very few of them are around today and of those few are very big.

Same thing with MMOs. WoW looks like it will dominate forever but it wont. Not because someone is going to come an knock it down but because time passes and things change. WoW will continue to loose subscribers but they can slowly bleed subs for many years before they are as small as their next competitor. It will happen eventually but it will take a long time.

Some day some other game will pass WoW. Not soon. it is still at least 5 years away I suspect. but some game will eventually take the lead from them. Who will it be? Who knows. There is no telling. It will take someone having just the right thing at just the right time and having the presence of mind at that time to jump at it. Could it be FFXIV? I would say it is as good a candidate as any. Who ever it is will already be more than half way there before anyone realizes whats happening.

All die, so die well.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Must admit, the first launching of FF XIV was terrible, even so i gave it a try, and pretty much regretted it within just a few days of playing it, and wasnt really all that surprised when SE took the game down to redo it, though i didnt hold out too much hope for it, as it had too many issues, from the game mechanics to the UI, so when the beta invites went out, i was pretty slow in taking them up on it, very slow, but im glad i did, because its a much much better game, from the UI, to the graphics, maybe its because so much time has passed, but the graphics seem to be much better, the world is so much better than before, i hope the rest of the game proves to be as improved over the original, and i'll be there when it launches to find out. I don't know if the game will be bigger or better than WoW, but from my standpoint at least, i'll be playing FF XIV not WoW.. in terms of numbers though, i don't think any game will ever achieve the kind of player numbers that WoW did, it was a one off that will most likely never occur again. Having said that, i do expect FF XIV to exceed a million players, by how much, is the big question image
  • shockwaved1shockwaved1 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Solid post , ARR is and will be a solid game. Im not sure what the majority of mmo players are looking for out there in a new game and what more could u want, I really don't understand the trolls but this game will indeed succeed. It has a beautiful world , smooth controls, mulit platform, crafting, dungeons, open world etc etc. For those who have played Everquest back in it's day they will enjoy this game and others alike. How much more can u put in mmo's anymore other then changing the combat style, skill systems and the many other features that mmo's have brought us over the years. Im not really sure what new flashy things that players want in mmo's these days, it surprises me on how many players try to just put down games anymore. And don't even mention wow, why does it always fall back on Wow. Been there done that.
    Originally posted by botrytis

Oh damn! Testify!

Realy GW2 has not had content update? http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates  I guess the one they just did was chopped liver....

Played previous FF games - MEH - nothing exciting to me. If you like it fine, but it is not the savior of the MMO genre like people in this thread think it will be.

Guess you can't read, I said 'no major content update' and yeah, I looked through the page.

Bug fixes, class balancing, and seasonal events.  OH look and some limited run events too.

NOT major content, sorry GW2 fans.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Aion > wow

Warhammer > wow

Rift > wow

Swtor > wow

TSW > wow

Tera > wow

Anything that isn't wow > wow......

.....until people actually play them for a while.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

Its a good game, but when WoW launched, it really was a impressive game. Familiarity breeds contempt I guess, but other than EQ1, WoW held my attention longer than any other MMO and I have tried pretty much all of the AAA titles that have came out since 2001.

FF XIV AAR comes out in the post-WoW era where people have way too high of expectations in games. I hope it does well, but I suspect that it will achieve moderate success, like Rift or SWTOR. 

The true beauty of WoW was that you could run that sucker on a shoe box with a tv plugged into it. No matter how crappy your friends computers were, they could still play WoW. 

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Oh damn! Testify!

Guess you can't read, I said 'no major content update' and yeah, I looked through the page.

Bug fixes, class balancing, and seasonal events.  OH look and some limited run events too.

Take your quarterly content updates in a p2p MMO, spread it out over bi-weekly intervals, see where you get more. 

Originally posted by Naqaj

Oh damn! Testify!

Take your quarterly content updates in a p2p MMO, spread it out over bi-weekly intervals, see where you get more. 

Sure, except I don't see any new zones, raids, or actual content, I just see temporary content, bug fixes and class balancing.

That is not major content.

When RIFT added in an new island with entirely new mechanics?  That's major content.

When WoW has a new raid, with new dailies, and new gear to get, and new pets, that's major content.

When FFXIV in its original state added in new zones, AN ENTIRE ADVANCED JOB SYSTEM, new classes, reworked zones, and added in lots of top end game fights.  That's major content, and they did that while the game was free because they admitted it was botched.

"Free" to play games CANNOT offer the same content as Pay to Play ones, it is common sense.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I think it will peak at around 350.000 subscribers after a couple months, and then slowly slide down to  a steady 150.000.

• McSireMcSire Member Posts: 43
    FFXIV Won't even be close to WoW for one reason, and that reason is the combat is extremely weightless and slow paced, there's barely any action at all, the only interesting thing about it is the nice job on flashy effects.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Yay! More WoW Clones!!!!

+1

News flash. Unless it's Virtual Reality, you will continue to see more of the same elements from past MMOs in future MMOs.

You obviously haven't played enough MMO's.  It's rather obvious this industry has degraded by tons from the amount of WoW clones, and the community is sick of it.  I'm sure you'll pick that up the more you spend in games and on this forum.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Naqaj

Oh damn! Testify!

Sorry Rift's content was too little too late IMO and I was playing it then. There was so little content in the game is was pathetic. Rift was one of the smallest games ever produced in original form.

Yay! More WoW Clones!!!!

+1

You obviously haven't played enough MMO's.  It's rather obvious this industry has degraded by tons from the amount of WoW clones, and the community is sick of it.  I'm sure you'll pick that up the more you spend in games and on this forum.  

No, you want UO clones and I am happy that era is over.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Yay! More WoW Clones!!!!

+1

No, you want UO clones and I am happy that era is over.

Me personally, I don't want any clones.  I want something new on the table. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL