Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest mmo since WoW

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Yet we have never seen any mmo studio taken their whole mmo offline fire their staff and start from scratch while offering players who bought the fail product to return for free and offer them beta's.
    Wich shows that this studio realy cares about you and their reputation.

its also Final Fantasy the longest running RPG in the world, its a love hate with each new chapter, and it will not be for everyone.

But respect needs to be given where respect is due.
    I wish some other studio's did this and followed their lead when their product is a utter failure.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon

Mark my words. FFXIV ARR will be the greatest mmo since vanilla WoW. Consider my reasons for this claim. Unlike any other mmo, FFXIV will be released world wide Aug.27  on both PC and PS3. With over 70 million PS3 units sold imagine how many people walking into walmart or gamestop looking for a roleplaying game will be attracted to this title. FFXI at its peak had 500k members and it was predominantly on PS2. Even if only 1% of all PS3 owners buy FFXIV thats over 700k subscribers on console alone. Know that FFXIV will also be released on PS4. We all know how cautious we can be when buying first gen games for new consoles. Imagine how comforting the Final Fantasy name will be to people looking for games in that genre. Then there all the FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 people who will want to give ARR a try. Plus how many WoW and GW2 players arent really that happy with the current state of their gaming. 

For new players playing their very first mmo ARR has a VERY friendly learning curve. Veteran players have even complained that it was too easy. However it has been confirmed that as you progress towards endgame the games challenges become more daunting. To the point of having to quit ones job in order to devote all of ones time to the game just to "first achieve" the games endgame rewards. There is also the ability to progress smoothly in game through both solo and group play.

It is commonly known that 1.0 had one of the deepest crafting systems in all mmos. This will be retained in 2.0, plus a crafting driven economy. Add a combination of 16 classes and jobs to choose from at release. Along with 18+ dungeons that range from easy to extremely hard. Player housing. Deep storylines.A beautiful soundtrack and the best graphics of any mmo to date. Plus  one can really become attached to whatever character you create because one toon can be any and every job. So goodbye Alts.

Then theres the attraction for the ladies. In-game marriage. Ceremony and everything.(yes wedding gowns) Being able to dress up ones mount in various outfits. Minions or pets that walk along beside you. And man some of these are pretty impressive. Yes I know these can be found in several mmos, but none of them look as good as these. Imagine a hand clad in a mickey mouse glove that follows you pointing at stuff. Then theres the outfits. Anything from full body armor, to dresses with purses filled flowers, to bikinis. Finally the ability to craft items for your house. Anything from wallpaper to roofing. And the ability to mount the heads of monsters you've slain over your fireplace to show off for you guest.

All of these things and many more have me convinced that this will be the greatest mmo in years and possibly for years to come.

I just don't see it happening.   They wanted to make a more casual version of FFXI, and to do so would require some sacrifice of the economy.   That really isn't a good thing if they didn't shift the focus to some kind of competitive  raiding (aka WOW).

How exactly are they going to convince new players to play if previous players keep their progression?

I think they just need to start on different serves. I think old players are stuck to legacy servers? I could be very wrong as I read the server transfer notes but I forgot lol.

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Yeah, legacy characters are on a specific set servers. While new players can choose to play on a legacy server, or a new server. 
  • ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141
    Just want to update the latest info on FFXIV ARR sales. Collectors Edition is already sold out with still over 2 months to release. The phase 3 beta access access has over 700k registrations. So far looking real good.
  • MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171
    Can't believe this thread got this long lol.........Tommorrow most people get to play so we will see.
  • ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

Almost 2 months since original post.

To those who said FFXIV would have a tough time competing with ESO.... Do you still feel the same way? ESO isn't even on the hype meter.

To those who said Wildstar would crush FFXIV. Not looking that way.

FFXIV ARRs beta is so packed, the producer said they cant give out more beta keys because players just aren't logging off. Over a million registrations for beta so far.

9 out of 10 beta players love the game.

What do you think is going to happen when the game actually hits shelves next month and starts advertising in mainstream media?

Lastly, if youre not playing FFXIV, what else is there to play? WoW, GW2, Rift, TSW and Terra. Four of those are F2P and people still are getting tired of them.

I stand by my words. This will be the greatest MMO since Wow.

Please don't get that confused with greater than Wow.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon

Almost 2 months since original post.

To those who said FFXIV would have a tough time competing with ESO.... Do you still feel the same way? ESO isn't even on the hype meter.

To those who said Wildstar would crush FFXIV. Not looking that way.

FFXIV ARRs beta is so packed, the producer said they cant give out more beta keys because players just aren't logging off. Over a million registrations for beta so far.

9 out of 10 beta players love the game.

What do you think is going to happen when the game actually hits shelves next month and starts advertising in mainstream media?

Lastly, if youre not playing FFXIV, what else is there to play? WoW, GW2, Rift, TSW and Terra. Four of those are F2P and people still are getting tired of them.

I stand by my words. This will be the greatest MMO since Wow.

Please don't get that confused with greater than Wow.

Where have I seen this hype before?

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

Nobody play this game... I don't want the community to smell like all the other MMO's ... or this thread.

The game is good, it's so much better than 1.0 and it's going to be successful.

Wildstar is the only game that might finally topple the behemoth IMO.

No bitchers.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I just dont see what all the hype for this game is all about.  I get it its Final Fantasy super, but I feel SWTor hype levels, and soon to be disappointment

Originally posted by Rinna

Nobody play this game... I don't want the community to smell like all the other MMO's ... or this thread.

The game is good, it's so much better than 1.0 and it's going to be successful.

Wildstar is the only game that might finally topple the behemoth IMO.

rofl, at Wildstar, doing anything remotely denting on WOW

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    i still feel the same way, it only caters the core ff fans thats it.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

To the OP: Kindly refer to the hype trains around GW2, Age of Conan, Star Wars The Old Republic, etc. This game might be good or it might be bad, pre-orders and beta numbers tell you nothing more than interest by hardcore fans of either the universe or this type of game.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Ayulin
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Ralstlin

The game is really good, but only will be a success if it keep more than 1M Subscriptions for more than a year.. and keep growning from there. 

Is that the number they gave or is that your opinion?

That would be their opinion, or what it would need to be successful to them. SE hasn't actually stated what their requirements are.

Didn't Yoshida actually give out a number in one of the recent interviews on why they chose p2p? Somehow the number 500.000 is stuck in my memory ..?

• intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I love what SE has done, but FF14 is too generic to be bigger than WoW.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Dihoru

To the OP: Kindly refer to the hype trains around GW2, Age of Conan, Star Wars The Old Republic, etc.

Indeed. Compare this title to [that other game] that's generating a dozen new threads a day, currently.

If the viral marketing reflects the local interest...

SqEn needs to hire more troops.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by intrinsc

At the same time though WoW was pretty generic out of the gate.  The only leg up it had was the Warcraft lore which many people loved already and polish.  Which well are basically the same ingredients ARR is going to have.

Originally posted by NetSage
    Originally posted by intrinsc

At the same time though WoW was pretty generic out of the gate.  The only leg up it had was the Warcraft lore which many people loved already and polish.  Which well are basically the same ingredients ARR is going to have.

except WOW came in 2004 at just the right time.  FF14 is here in 2013, with more of that been there done that feel

when I played WOW, coming from Asheron's Call and Horizons, WOW was completely different than both of those titles and fun and new. 

when I play FF14, I could be playing WOW, RIFT, SWTOR or FF14 and feel like its pretty much the same thing in a different skin

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    How was WoW different? Only thing I saw different in WoW from other MMOs before it was the faster, quest based, leveling system it had. Everything else was exactly the same. Weve had plenty of newer games that were more "different" and new than WoW ever was. In fact ... I remember WoW being ridiculed as "just another EQ."
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Don't sleep on the combination of:

A) well known and loved IP

B) rut in the market (seriously almost a year since the last major release anyone cared about)

C) polish polish polish

D) underdog effect (first time for a complete revamp/re-release - except for DF - but no one cares about DF)

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Don't see how. There is still a ton of fedex quests just like WoW in this game. I'm sure it will be so much better than the previous release but there really isn't anything new here at all, it just looks better than WoW, thats it.
    Originally posted by Kayo45
    How was WoW different? Only thing I saw different in WoW from other MMOs before it was the faster, quest based, leveling system it had. Everything else was exactly the same. Weve had plenty of newer games that were more "different" and new than WoW ever was. In fact ... I remember WoW being ridiculed as "just another EQ."

If you played Asheron's Call or Horizons you wouldnt ask how WOW was different

Asheron's Call was a sandbox open class, pretty much questless driven game, focusing basically around grinding exp and gear hunting.

Horizons was a crafting based game, everything in game was crafted, world building, community building pve game with playable dragons, and very few quests.  It was built around a multi-class system.

WOW for me was much different in 2004, cause I didnt play EQ, so a quest based, massive raiding game with pvp and battlegrounds was really new to me

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Don't sleep on the combination of:

A) well known and loved IP

B) rut in the market (seriously almost a year since the last major release anyone cared about)

C) polish polish polish

D) underdog effect (first time for a complete revamp/re-release - except for DF - but no one cares about DF)

^ This...and the fact that the game is pretty damn good.  Ive been playing since beta 2 and I hate when I can't play it.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    It might be the best wow clone.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by pauly6478
    They rename Final fantasy to Wildstar? I missed something.

Its funny because, Wildstar will be worse than this game, and this game is already nothing new.  

Yay! More WoW Clones!!!!

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL