Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The Secret World: Issue #7: A Dream to Kill Preview

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The Secret World game director Joel Bylos gave us a tour of TSW's latest game update, Issue #7: A Dream to Kill. Read on to learn what's in store for players in the update!

We began our adventures in Transylvania, where things start out typically enough for the location. There’s a monster in the forest – and we’re tasked with finding out more about it. Let’s just say that things are quite a bit more complicated than a simple monster story in A Dream to Kill. Of course, I knew we were in for something far more significant than this. After all, we were both dressed sharply in a pair of tuxedos. 

Read more of Michael Bitton's The Secret World: Issue #7: A Dream to Kill Preview.

Comments

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    Looks good! Ive found that this game has yet to disappoint me :)

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• VikaernesVikaernes Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Little late to the party? Issue 7 launched for subscribers 2 days ago. Maybe a "preview" would have been a little more relevant then, as even non subscribers have had the ability to get in and play it for themselves before your spoiler rich article was posted. While we're at it, why don't you tell me all about that brand new Gangnam Style dance? For a game rated so highly here, it's representation with regard to timeliness, quality and accuracy of articles here is abysmal.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    @Vik: Mike's tour was unable to happen until yesterday due to some serious tech issues, so how about toning the jerkiness down? We would have had this sooner if we could have, believe me. But it couldn't happen last week as it was originally planned.

But you know, keep being smarmy and rude if it suits you.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• VodunVodun Member UncommonPosts: 87

@Vik: If you have nothing positive or enlightening to discuss then don't bother to waste space here.

These guys are doing a great job trying to keep us informed of all things MMO!

The Vod

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Bill can you guys do an expose on the current state of PVP in The Secret World? As great as the PVE is, the PVP which Funcom touted as such an important piece is complete utter bollocks. They screwed over so many people with how it is handled and the inability to even queue for it for SO long.

I'm kind of getting tired of games getting great reviews during the first week, but as things progress and fall apart no reviewers speak on it. It leaves a big segment of players without a voice.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

Bill can you guys do an expose on the current state of PVP in The Secret World? As great as the PVE is, the PVP which Funcom touted as such an important piece is complete utter bollocks. They screwed over so many people with how it is handled and the inability to even queue for it for SO long.

I'm kind of getting tired of games getting great reviews during the first week, but as things progress and fall apart no reviewers speak on it. It leaves a big segment of players without a voice.

Not Bill, but we actually have many ways to empower YOUR voice here at MMORPG.com. Obviously our forums are one area, but you can also post your own blog or user feature.  It sounds like you have a lot to say on TSW PvP. ;)

If you put together something awesome, be sure to shoot me an e-mail at community AT mmorpg DOT com and we may even promo it for you right here on the site/our social networks.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I'll be definitely checking this out.Some of us havent reached this content yet in a matter of 2 days.So we appreciate the preview.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

nothing mind blowing but it sounds cool and fun. While i dont play this game constantly for reasons we are sick and tired to discuss. Its really nice that they keep adding this issues with more content.

One thing JB really needs to add is more character customization. That girl on the trailer looks cool with one blind eye and a scar that goes through it.

• WillyMMORPGWillyMMORPG Member UncommonPosts: 78

Finished Issue 7 on day one of the early access (Tuesday for Subscribers / Lifers) and it was awesome. This is the third home run issue in a row, starting with Issue 5 - Tyler Freeborn, one of the most haunting and actually sad quest series I've ever played in an MMO. It rivaled the WoW opening of the Wrathgate quest in the Lich King expansion (spoiler: the one where the dragon flights came flying in after Arthas and the undead wiped out both the Horde and Alliance armies at the back door to the Lich King's house, and you saw them lazily flying in with the sun as a backdrop and they flew around and torched the place up as Arthas walked back inside) ;;

Issue 6 was a total change a pace, an action adventure takeoff  of the Indian Jones movies, the "Last Train to Cairo" (I still play this quest series every three days and it doesn't seem to get old, I love to run the length of the run-away train, fighting mad cultists trying to get away with an Ark.

Issue 7 returned to the creepiness and underlying sadness of Tyler Freeborn but ramped up the creepiness. The nursery with all the dolls and all types of yucky things was particularly effective and the snow mobile chase through the Carpathian Fangs culminating with the base jump off the bridge was this issues action / adventure that I think it needed to break up the uneasiness you feel from all the horrific images you encounter along the way.

Funcom has taken the MMO genre to the next level with their innovations: sabotage missions (sneak > Rambo), Investigation missions (my brain hurts, this is some tough stuff to figure out) and the modern day setting and homages to Lovecraft, Stephen King and the X-Files. As god is my witness, I'll never kill 10 boars and loot 5 boar whiskers again!

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I find the content of this game comes too little and too far between. But what they deliver is always amazing. I'm going to be reinstalling and playing again by tomorrow. Every new issue makes me wanna play, even though the gameplay itself is not that great.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

Along the lines of what Mike said, if you've got some questions you want answered about PVP, just fire 'em my way and I'll see if Funcom can respond.  I can't promise anything, but I can try.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    There is a fair while to wait between content, but the content is always high quality and not just the normal boring daily quests other MMOs churn out.  I play the TSW as my 2nd game, so I'm not always on but I log in from time to time to check out the new stuff and rerun some of the old fun missions.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by rojo6934

nothing mind blowing but it sounds cool and fun. While i dont play this game constantly for reasons we are sick and tired to discuss. Its really nice that they keep adding this issues with more content.

One thing JB really needs to add is more character customization. That girl on the trailer looks cool with one blind eye and a scar that goes through it.

Actually this new issue is mind blowing. Play it then you will know what i am talking about.

Also how come guys like Vikaernes do not get banned for being total jerks but if you say that 'this X game is garbage' you get banned for a week? i just don't get it.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Yup this issue and TSW in general is ace! :D

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

My summer has officially begun!

TSW #7!      n Firefall!!!

i need more time!!!!!!!!!!!!

ill give my thoughts when i start the #7 campaign in TSW!!!! woooohoooooo!!!!!!

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    bought a lifetime sub to this game but have fell out with mmo's atm.hopefully I will get back to playing this.no one does content has good as funcom.especially dungeons.
  • faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123
    Never thought I'd come to this site of all sites just to see some positive feedback on this game.. I've been having a blast while playing this with a friend of mine. I wish it wasn't so underrated (Even though there are plenty of people in my server) just because of some things that are easy to look over like animations.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    terrific game. i just couldn't get over the stilted combat with so few mechanics for movement or cover.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Looks neat. Hope they stick to the horror themes though.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by kevjards
    bought a lifetime sub to this game but have fell out with mmo's atm.hopefully I will get back to playing this.no one does content has good as funcom.especially dungeons.

If you haven't already done so I'd suggest going into your account options and turning on the option to auto-buy the DLC packs.  That way whenever you decide to get back into the game you'll have all the DLC available to you and depending on how long it is between your visits you should end up having more bonus points to spend in the store.  Since the points only 'stack' up to 6 months worth at a time.

• TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135

its good. and by funcom standards not too buggy. the new flamethrower aux weapon is fun. loads of new and returning players.

pvp is broken as it was before (e.g. you cant get into fusang on some servers, still broken after 3 emergency patches last week).

and rubberbanding is back with this patch, more deadly than any raid boss.