Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What classes do you like/love/hate and why?

BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Title and question is pretty self explanatory-

What classes do you like/love/hate and why?

Personally, I've thus far been the biggest fan of Conjurer, Lancer, and Marauder.

I like casters, and healers, though after level 11 or so solo'ing as a Conj has been a little frustratingly slow.

Lancer is just fine, good damage, very survivable, nice combos, and exceptional animation - plus I always like the idea of a Spear wielder - not as common in MMOs.

Marauder is probably my favorite. Heavy armor, big frick'n axe, tank class + good damage and combos.

Every one of the level 1-8 abilities has been useful. I have a bleed, a dps combo, and a +defense self buff + a self heal.

I'm drawn initially to Paladin and Warrior jobs, but Gladiator has thus far been a little too slow for me.

Comments

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I love the Conjurer and the Gladiator, which is nice because I want a Paly. I also want a Bard but have not tried an Archer yet. I'll end up with a White Mage as well, and likely a Dragoon. Those are my first goals anyway :)

Really loving the CNJ though.

• oGMooGMo Member UncommonPosts: 89

Thaumaturge was kinda boring to 10 ... thus I will definitely start with it so I can quest it to 10 and not grind. Conj was actually kinda fun once I started mixing in thaum stuff. I think Conjuror may be my favorite class at the moment.

I played some Marauder, and I don't remember it being excessively dull.

Played a little gladiator, that seemed a little dull, but I didn't play much and it wasn't particularly hard, so my guess is I could blaze through. Mix some Marauder/Pug/Glad and it'd probably be a win.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I feel like it really makes sense to initially level up the "slower" classes like Conjurer / Gladiator with all of the available quests in the 1-15 zones.

You can then (if you choose) run dungeons easier as healer/tank types 15+

And for the DPS type classes, when you are starting at level 1 and all you have is hunting logs and levequests for the first 15 levels, having the killing speed of the DPS classes will really help.

That's my plan anyway.

Probably level to 30 as either Gladiator or Marauder, then do up to 15 as either Conjurer or Gladiator (depending) if I choose to go Paladin or Warrior first.

And all that time questing and dungeon running and such to get to 30 and then 15 on sub class will allow me save up a lot of levequest allowances for leveling up DPS classes (and crafting classes) later on.

There is one thing I need to test though this week/weekend:

If you say level up in Gridania first, get your airship pass, then head to say Ul'Dah and class change to something (level 1 now), are all of the 1-15 ish quest available?

As in - can you do the opening zone stories for each of the 3 city states?

• oGMooGMo Member UncommonPosts: 89

I haven't had any trouble grinding Conjurer myself ... just doing the hunting log once I had it from Thaum and thing were pretty easy.

I should say, though, this is all a lot more fun and interesting than FFXI's "go grind outside of town for a few hours," at least to 10. Beyond that parties were fun, and I hope they're fun in this, but I unfortunately haven't had the opportunity to try a large party yet. Dungeons sound a lot more fun than standing around pulling mobs for hours on end though.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Will be taking the road to 3 classes, Bard, Paladin and White Mage. I like being needed in teams and not often do I play DPS. I like the Bard for support with good DPS and the team buffs are great. The debuffs that make your team do more damage is awesome. Paladin because I want to be able to be the main tank on the big bad bosses. They will be the main tank for that and I am all about taking on mobs way bigger then me. Last White Mage will be just when we need another healer or the raid wont happen =-) Take one for the team.
  • RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234
    seems people forgot there will be a new class with 2 jobs (at release ofc) :p
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I don't really hate any of the classes.

I loathe the Level 10 Gladiator quest with a passion. I did complete it but if I had to do that out of the gate, no way.

Because you need that quest to add new classes, if I had to go it with just Gladiator skills? I'd delete the character first. The only way I was able to do it was with a 1.00 character with Cure and a Thaum DoT slotted. Between the fact that you need to be a damage dealer because it's solo instanced, you have a ball and chain for a healer and the way the last guy spams an over powered special when he falls below 30% health. It's just an overkill, stupid quest for the content it unlocks. ie: All the other classes.

• django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115

I have played around a bit with each class and actually didn't find anything I hated whilst leveling them.

I'm a big fan of the lancer and pugilist though, love the animations and the weapons.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Ive tried pug, thaum, and archer, and I like archer best.  Not sure I will like bard though, but will see.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Just FYI from last night and some testing, the main story is a one time thing.

Makes sense really, but what I mean specifically is that if you do the main story quests in your starting city state, let's say Gridania, and you then level up and get your airship pass and head to say Ul'Dah and class change to a level 1 Thaum or Glad or Pug etc. you get access to all of the side quests and area specific ones in the region, but you don't get to do the main quest line for that region.

Glad/Conj are def my favorite now, and useful cause they are both the prereqs for Paladin and White Mage.

It's kind of odd how mining/goldsmith is in Ul'Dah but Blacksmith/Armorsmith is in Limsa Limosa.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I usually gravitate towards tank classes.

I haven't been able to really get into GLD yet. Only to L13 so far, so hopefully it opens up some more. I've found it slow, and in guildleves difficult so far to manage, but I realize it's still very early in the class.

I had planned to level up MRD this beta period, but I've been tied up with work and haven't had a chance to yet. It may be more my playstyle (old school EQ SK, WoW bear)

I've got CNJ the highest, it's fun in a group, it's slow solo and not as engaging. Maybe with chocopet it will be more entertaining now that I realized I can use him as a battle pet.

I have found ARC so far to be pretty fun - being able to run&gun without having combat abilities pin you down is nice.

THM also seems like it would be pretty fun - the balancing of the two auras is an interesting concept and wow, can Fire hit pretty hard. I've only got this up to about L5 so far though.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I would love to play the arcanist/scholar but I doubt the HoTs will be my idea of a main healer so I am stuck with white mage and therefore conjurer. I would like to play other jobs but I think since I intend to craft like a crazy person white mage will be my only job.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350

Classes I loved. Gladiator , Conjurer , Lancer, Marauder and Thaumaturge.  These I had alot of fun leveling them up the most. Combining Gladiator with cure and archers lvl 2 ability the one that gives 10% crit(forgot its name) made leveling a breeze to 15. Puglist was okish but quite unhappy most of what it offered to the other classes were just not as good.

Archer I hated, mostly because I just hate the archer class in general XD but i do believe i needs a little more something. Prob when bard opens up you are given that something but as for now it just did not feel up to par like the other classes that did give you a bit more to do, combos to play with ect. However, the upside is what the archer class offers to the rest of the classes. and the first ability at lvl 2 that it offers is to hard to ignore.

A decent hitting ability that only uses 60 tp and grants you 10% crit rate. How can you /NOT/ pick that up for Lancer, heck even for Gladiator. I had Fate bosses cemented on me because of critting, stealing aggro from other gladiators higher level then me (they thought protect was cool, ya at lvl 15 now i have protect also but before I had the upper hand XD) It made my lvl 10 Gladiator quest a breeze, together with cure, and the level 15 story quest was a joke XD.

I plan on taking Marauder to lvl 15 and see if I will stick with that or Gladiator. For now Gladiator with the 3 abilities from the other classes I took has given me alot of survivability and better hate mechanics. (Because critting with your ability that increases hate really shines XD)

I donno but darn healing feels so rewarding in this game. Not that its any different from other games. I think its more how things are displayed. Heck in wow i gave no shits to the person next to me. here i throw heals here and there. smack mobs n help someone low on health. But then my friends wanna be healers so i guess ill have to take the tanking classes. hmm choices. but then theres lancer.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Love Archer until 22 but I am not looking forward to playing Bard so not sure this will stay my main.

Also enjoy Leatherworking quite a bit! =)

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Only tried the archer.Struggeling to keep playing.Got to level 7 only.