Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

League of Legends: US Government Recognizes eSports Players

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a new tweet on League of Legends' Leigh Smith's account, the US government now recognizes esports players on a par with the NBA, NFL, NHL and more. It entitles participants to travel visas for gaming events.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

No offence to gaming, but puke.

"e-Sports" is NOT on par with actual athletes.

I support "pro-gaming" where one might be able to make a living playing video games, but I do NOT think of that as being an athlete.

• JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Four0Six

I support "pro-gaming" where one might be able to make a living playing video games, but I do NOT think of that as being an athlete.

Nascar isnt a sport either than right? Or Poker? Or Fishing?

Sorry but theres money to be made, and Id rather us nerds get a chance at doing what we love for a profit.

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Why not? It isn't physical, but neither is archery, shooting, sailing, equestrian, golf, fencing or curling, and they're all Olympic sports. 

[mod edit]

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• coprhead6coprhead6 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Craz,
    Archery , Sailing, Equestrian, and Fencing are all very physical. I'm sorry you've never gotten up from your couch to realize that :D
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

hmmm what are you doing on a gaming forum?

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

So that means Pro gamers aren't allow to get travel visas???

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Yeah Im sorry but to compare gamers with athletes is a total joke.....Im sorry people but these guys aren't heroes or anything else for that matter....What they msot likely are is people that have too much time on their hands and nothing else to do....Kinda reminds me of the guys who were quitting college or their jobs to become professional guitar hero players.
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

I believe it's simply a way for the government, using the term 'e-sport' to capitalize on making more money for these visas. By categorizing them as such, they assure future revenue.

Originally posted by Theocritus
    Yeah Im sorry but to compare gamers with athletes is a total joke.....Im sorry people but these guys aren't heroes or anything else for that matter....What they msot likely are is people that have too much time on their hands and nothing else to do....Kinda reminds me of the guys who were quitting college or their jobs to become professional guitar hero players.

Maybe you're putting athletes on a pedestal. Based on your reasoning, anyone could become a professional athlete with "enough time on their hands and nothing else to do". 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

Sorry would have replied sooner, except I was putting all my wife's rings on my right index finger to get my clicking up to speed so I can go try out for USA Olympic LOL....

/sarcasm off

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Maybe you're putting athletes on a pedestal. Based on your reasoning, anyone could become a professional athlete with "enough time on their hands and nothing else to do". 

Anyone with enough time on their hands CAN be an "e-sport-ist", so are you defending the premise that "e-sports" aren't sports?

Originally posted by coprhead6
    Craz,
    Archery , Sailing, Equestrian, and Fencing are all very physical. I'm sorry you've never gotten up from your couch to realize that :D

Yes, you're right, they do require you to actually get up and leave your house in order to participate in them, if that's what you gauge as being physical. However, considering there are champions in these sports who are past their physical prime (40, 50, even 60s in equestrian) are you honestly trying to argue that they are as physically demanding as other sports? 

Archery would require the same skill set as being a professional gamer. Same with shooting. I'm just saying, to say that video games is not "skills" based is a fallacy. Can some of those skills be built with practice, yes, but most sports have some amount of dependence on repetition and skill building. Also, games requiring twitch reflexes, I'm assuming, require a heightened level of performance that isn't going to be "learned". It's like saying that you think you could improve your reaction time hitting a buzzer the more than you did it, if the timer was random. That's hilarious to think. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Well

It requires skill, check

It requires dedication, check

It gives joy or pleasure, check

It is a past-time, check

Then it is a sport

Not sport like basketball or football

More akin to chess and poker

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

Anyone with enough time on their hands CAN be an "e-sport-ist", so are you defending the premise that "e-sports" aren't sports?

Awesome! You should totally try out. Everyone has 24 hours in a day, which means that you'll definitely make $150,000 a year doing it. So unless that's what you're making now, it's an easy decision! 

/sarcasm off

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Incorrect, not everyone can be a professional e-sport player, it take a Hell of allot of time to get half decent and what elevates the semi-pros from the actual pros are higher reaction times which one is born with not trained to get (granted in starcraft 2 this matters a little less that's why we see people in their late 20s and early 30s in the pro-scene but even so the top level global players all young and very fit for a reason).

Meh.

Defend away, I'm out. You win.

You ARE just a bunch of  "dumb Jocks" I guess. Just wanting to be part of the "in-crowd" again, same as back in school.

I might point out that for a LOOOOONG time now many gamers have been happily making cash playing games and NOT labeling themselves as "athletes". But you go ahead.

Funny how all through life humans claim to cherish diversity, but given the chance they always want to just be part of the group.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

Why not? It isn't physical, but neither is archery, shooting, sailing, equestrian, golf, fencing or curling, and they're all Olympic sports. 

If you even attempt to deny that there is a heightened level of skill required to participate in these games at the LCS level then I'll just call it ignorance and leave it at that. 

Your fucking retarded. Every one of those sports you listed takes Athletisium. Ever tried to sail? Hit a golf ball 300 yards? Keep your balance on ice sliding a heavy ass rock into target? Every pulled a bow string back? I could go on but i dont feel i need to.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Meh.

Defend away, I'm out. You win.

You ARE just a bunch of  "dumb Jocks" I guess. Just wanting to be part of the "in-crowd" again, same as back in school.

I might point out that for a LOOOOONG time now many gamers have been happily making cash playing games and NOT labeling themselves as "athletes". But you go ahead.

Funny how all through life humans claim to cherish diversity, but given the chance they always want to just be part of the group.

O.o the Hell you on about? We're rejoicing for finally getting sports status for e-sports, if you think the people who train to that level aren't similar to "jocks" in certain respects then you haven't met very many.

Sorry would have replied sooner, except I was putting all my wife's rings on my right index finger to get my clicking up to speed so I can go try out for USA Olympic LOL....

/sarcasm off

ROFL!!!! this had me on the floor LOL.

Originally posted by xAPOCx

If you even attempt to deny that there is a heightened level of skill required to participate in these games at the LCS level then I'll just call it ignorance and leave it at that. 

Your fucking retarded. Every one of those sports you listed takes Athletisium. Ever tried to sail? Hit a golf ball 300 yards? Keep your balance on ice sliding a heavy ass rock into target? Every pulled a bow string back? I could go on but i dont feel i need to.

Yes, I've done all of it, but not as well as a professional. I'm saying that these are skills-based sports over physical sports. John Daly wouldn't run a marathon, but it was his skill that allowed him to drive the ball far plus, probably, some inherent natural ability. Curling probably has the highest percentage of fat people who play it than any other sport on Earth (except sumo wrestling) and some of the best archers in the world are fatties too. 

Sorry, all I was trying to say is that athlete does not equate to peak physical condition. Maybe that's the perception, so maybe if they simply called them "professional gamers" that whole argument would go away. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

All those sports are very much physical, show me a professional rider, sailor, fencer that is some pudgy ass kid that "ONE tubby tubby TWO tubby tubby" pops in their mind.

Calling e-sports is a friggin joke.  And this is not just a physical issue, really the physical aspect is irrelevant as that is not what makes sports recognized globally... well not purely physical.  There is athleticism and professionalism.  Coachers, regulations, organizations, ect ect all play a part.

And the quote is misleading that people seems to overlook.  The context of the quoted message seems more in line that e-sports are recognized and on par with the NFL, NBA, ect ect on the premises of issuing visas which I agree.

Granted given enough money the gov't would say installing games is an official sport on par with real sports given enough money.  The gov't has made so many retarded statements that nothing surprises me anymore.

You know i just had my roof done by "pro" roofers. does that mean roofing is now a sport? If the file guy at my job puts forth the effort to do his job faster then anyone else, is filing now a sport? I think we need to cover context when talking about this now.

A Sport

For Sport

Two different meanings.

"e-sports" is not A sport.

People do it FOR sport.

Say what you want about the subject. It will not change my mind at all. Stupid subject.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Hahaha!  Pretty funny.  They've got to be kidding.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

Yes, I've done all of it, but not as well as a professional. I'm saying that these are skills-based sports over physical sports. John Daly wouldn't run a marathon, but it was his skill that allowed him to drive the ball far plus, probably, some inherent natural ability. Curling probably has the highest percentage of fat people who play it than any other sport on Earth (except sumo wrestling) and some of the best archers in the world are fatties too. 

Sorry, all I was trying to say is that athlete does not equate to peak physical condition. Maybe that's the perception, so maybe if they simply called them "professional gamers" that whole argument would go away. 

Key words that completely discredits your post.  Show me professionals in said sports that are "fatties."   Still trying ti figure out what the hell is curling, watch a Canadian match and just doing a "WTF is this?"

And some "inherent natural ability" is utter BS in what makes sportsman great.  Sure that might apply to the rare ones like Tiger Woods and other legendary sportsman but really it falls back to dedication and commitment since anyone can learn the stuff and if they tried hard enough they will be an accomplished athlete in whatever sport they are in.

Still though, when you have volleyball, badmitten, jumping the trampoline (whatever the hell you call just bounding on a trampoline that the Chinese won medals in) all considered Olympic sports anything goes in this day n age it seems like.  The criteria and tradition of Olympic sports being a test of physical prowess and athleticism is forgotten and anythings goes now.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

People play games and are called athletes.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.