Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Raptr Announces Most Played Games for June

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    I know a few people who use raptr, I am one of the people that use it, but I can't believe this is accurate whatsoever. I mean yeah Rift got a boost in population but honestly it wasn't THAT much. Definitely not enough to beat League of Legends out of the top spot, I have no idea how these were compiled.

Rift ran a massive campaign to get this.  Raptr users got Rift for free, and if they were in rift x amount of hours they got SL free too.  

When a tool like this is used by less than 1% of the population, running a massive campaign to get people to use it will skew the numbers.

Using a less biased source will find Rift at 31, just above Aion and well behind Neverwinter and SWtOR

http://www.xfire.com/games

Not that xfire is worth much anyway, but at least its somewhat neutral.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    I know a few people who use raptr, I am one of the people that use it, but I can't believe this is accurate whatsoever. I mean yeah Rift got a boost in population but honestly it wasn't THAT much. Definitely not enough to beat League of Legends out of the top spot, I have no idea how these were compiled.

Rift ran a massive campaign to get this.  Raptr users got Rift for free, and if they were in rift x amount of hours they got SL free too.  

When a tool like this is used by less than 1% of the population, running a massive campaign to get people to use it will skew the numbers.

Using a less biased source will find Rift at 31, just above Aion and well behind Neverwinter and SWtOR

Yeah I forgot about the Rift campaign, I even got a free copy of it because I had played it before in the past. Only issue I see with xfire is that it is a lot smaller than rift in terms of the population that uses it. I mean they are both pretty bad ways to figure out populations on things, but I don't know I guess xfire may be more valid just because they don't really run any deals for playing specific games.

Originally posted by strangiato2112

Yeah I forgot about the Rift campaign, I even got a free copy of it because I had played it before in the past. Only issue I see with xfire is that it is a lot smaller than rift in terms of the population that uses it. I mean they are both pretty bad ways to figure out populations on things, but I don't know I guess xfire may be more valid just because they don't really run any deals for playing specific games.

xfire is the bigger of the two as far as I can tell.  In all my years of mmo playing though I dont think ive met more than a handful of people that use either.  Were talking a very small fraction of the population here.  So it doesnt take much to tip the scales in a games favor.

• Master.RyuMaster.Ryu Member UncommonPosts: 52

I see the WoW players are hot and heavy here. 

May lose a few numbers, but I think RIFT should maintain it's position in the coming month or so.

The thread isn't misinforming at all for those that mentioned it. Raptr's statistics are accurate, for Raptr, and that's what the topic says. It doesn't say "RIFT most played game by players across the net!"

Originally posted by Master.Ryu

I see the WoW players are hot and heavy here. 

May lose a few numbers, but I think RIFT should maintain it's position in the coming month or so.

The thread isn't misinforming at all for those that mentioned it. Raptr's statistics are accurate, for Raptr, and that's what the topic says. It doesn't say "RIFT most played game by players across the net!"

Yes, Rift was certainly the most played game on Raptr in June.  But its not newsworthy because its only due to the fact they had a major promotion with raptr.

#1 played game on the tool that ran a promo, number 31 on the tool that doesnt run promos to favor games. 

• Tenaka30Tenaka30 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by Axewielderx
    Originally posted by rojo6934

This must be a joke, right? Yes, I am willing to believe that Rift had over 8 mil people playing it. ...Not! Sorry,  WOW is still the king so just get over your pathetic selves and stop advertising bs we all know is not true.

beginning to think this site is a complete waste when one is seeking actual true foul information.

where does it say RIft has over 8 mil people playing? the #1 spot only means a tiny small number of WoW playerbase uses raptr.

Sorry, I thought I was clear enough. That was really my point. Only a small number of gamers use raptr. Therefore, this information is irrelevant and biased.

Biased how?

The chart is of *Raptrs* most played games, not THE most played games.  It is a chart of games played by people who also ran Raptr at the same time AND had tracking working.

In this regard, with respect to what the chart claims to be, it is incredibly accurate.

Some points to note;

Rift had issues with tracking where a lot of peoples tracking broke and they were playing the game without it being recorded.

As has been said, many people idled in Rift in order to win the pet, other items or a free copy of the game/Storm Legion expac.

WoW 64client also had issues with tracking.

As for Ozmodan's asinine comment about age, would he like to consider his response were someone to make the same claim about MMORPG.COM?

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Way to go Rift:) well deserved.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Yeah, just like tanaka mentioned, these are only the numbers gathered from people using Raptr. Raptr is basically a new x-fire. Neither service offers an accurate representation of sub numbers - this is just a fun article to show rift is pretty popular among Raptr users. But who knows! Maybe since Rift went free to play, it HAS become the top MMO. Only time and quarterly reports will tell ;)
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

I don't get it. Discussing XFire is prohibited, but Raptr stats are posted as news.

Good for Rift, I suppose, as meaningless as these stats are.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Love Rift and all but hey, rewards for being logged on... kind of going to inflate numbers.

Wow... How is fable 3 on here? I think a few game designers are staying logged on to boost numbers! That or... ouch, I'd hate to be any of those games rated below fable 3, even if raptr (and any graph like this really) isn't really a good wya to judge the population or how much. If it was and my game was listed under fable 3, I'd delete my work and forever quit video games in shame of somehow being ranked under that "interesting" title... 

Anyways silly little joke rant aside, worthless chart is worthless.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    Originally posted by Iadien
    My 14 hours idling at the character select screen to receive the Rift expansion for free helped make that possible.

I spent about 40 hours idle at the character select to get the pet.

Ha, I logged in just to say the same thing. 

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Tenaka30

Biased how?

The chart is of *Raptrs* most played games, not THE most played games.  It is a chart of games played by people who also ran Raptr at the same time AND had tracking working.

In this regard, with respect to what the chart claims to be, it is incredibly accurate.

Accurate and biased mean two different things.

A survey can be both accurate and biased.  If you took a poll at an NRA meeting who they would vote for in the next election, the results would heavily favor Republican.  The survey would indeed accurately reflect the feelings of those at the NRA meeting, but the sample used is biased because the sample used (NRA meeting) is not representative of the overall population (US citizens).

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I think some of you guys need to settle down a bit. You guys are in an uproar getting hot and bothered by a chart that while does reflect certain circumstances, never claimed to be anything other than what it is. It's not like it's going to reshape the industry. Yeah, Raptr ran a promo, yeah that promo is reflected here, but yeah, it's Raptr's list. That list could have been called "The results of the Promo" . What's the difference?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by rojo6934

This must be a joke, right? Yes, I am willing to believe that Rift had over 8 mil people playing it. ...Not! Sorry,  WOW is still the king so just get over your pathetic selves and stop advertising bs we all know is not true.

beginning to think this site is a complete waste when one is seeking actual true foul information.

where does it say RIft has over 8 mil people playing? the #1 spot only means a tiny small number of WoW playerbase uses raptr.

Sorry, I thought I was clear enough. That was really my point. Only a small number of gamers use raptr. Therefore, this information is irrelevant and biased.

You don't know how many players use Raptr. I used Xfire for years and then replaced it by Raptr. I love it because it has a lot more active and interactive community. I have made so many new friends whereas in Xfire there was hardly any communication. Have you even used it? Raptr community is anything but 'small'.

Not to mention that Xfire is buggy as hell and half of the games doesn't even work on it. I never had such a problem with Raptr so far and it is lot more easier to use.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Raptr is now  more popular than Xfire. Congrats  to Rift and WOW. Looks they are still the best mmorpg's
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

I think we all need to make up our own acronym's and assign a game to it:

Anarchy Online is the number one game played on DoH......

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Raptr is now  more popular than Xfire. Congrats  to Rift and WOW. Looks they are still the best mmorpg's

Just throws more fuel on the making of more WoW clones.....Rift is so bad about it they literally pasted and copied parts of WoW into their game.....Obviously Raptr and Rift have some connection to make the numbers so misleading.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

You don't know how many players use Raptr. I used Xfire for years and then replaced it by Raptr. I love it because it has a lot more active and interactive community. I have made so many new friends whereas in Xfire there was hardly any communication. Have you even used it? Raptr community is anything but 'small'.

Xfire is buggy as hell and half of the games doesn't even work on it. I never had such a problem with Raptr so far and it is lot more easier to use.

I've had similar poor experiences w Xfire -- I like Raptr

Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by bubaluba

Just throws more fuel on the making of more WoW clones.....Rift is so bad about it they literally pasted and copied parts of WoW into their game.....Obviously Raptr and Rift have some connection to make the numbers so misleading.

Yeah as if people need tools like Xfire or Rptr to tell them that Rift is booming after going F2P. image

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86
    dafuq is raptr

twitch.tv/boonmackle

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Realistic list my ass how many copys where sold rift? 2million?(doub that)

How many copys skyrim sold 16million

And rift number one yeh right:P

• DoctorhooDoctorhoo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    RAPTR offers the Most IN GAME REWARDS for RIFT Players.   New Mount and New Pet.  That might have played a factor.  Game is Booming right now since it went F2P.  Very Fun Game Environment with all the people.
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

I don't see what the uproar is, Raptr used Rift to gain members by offering rewards. We saw it here on this site and elsewhere.

They show what their members are playing. Period. Good for them.

Who cares where Rift stands on their list? They're happy, those playing Rift are happy, why can't the rest just be happy and move along? image

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    I think this thread is going to be fun.

useless Raptr numbers vs irrelevant Xfire numbers popularity contest in 3...2...1....

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Realistic list my ass how many copys where sold rift? 2million?(doub that)

How many copys skyrim sold 16million

And rift number one yeh right:P

No one said that.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney