Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did the concept art reveal actually decrease your excitement for the game?

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
Question is as simple as the title states.  For me personally it did, I was very put off by the artstyle and "reinterpretation".  It would be easier for me to not feel disappointed if I felt it was just a few random illustrations that were not likely to be of the style  actually in the game - but considering that the site originally said new concept art "in the style of Everquest next" before they changed it, and the comparison photo of the screenshot smed posted on twitter to the new art showing similar huge shoulder pads and so forth, it made it seem that is indeed going to be the style unfortunately.  So for myself, it did decrease my excitement some and actually has me a bit worried about the reveal and what we will see.  How is everyone else feeling as a result of the art reveal?

Comments

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Once I realized that it wasn't a ratonga in the picture, it did.

The art being pretty bad also didn't help.  And I'm certainly not in the camp of people that say "oh he's just an artist, the painting is not meant to have anything to do with EQN".   It's the front page of the EQN website and has been referred to by the DEVs as "a reinterpretation, EQN-style".  So I fully believe the DEVs meant everything that's in this pic.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

for me - any art is probably going to be a carrot for reminding me that EQN reveal is less than 21 days

the drawing of FV was a turnoff but its only art

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    Any reveal will only lower the hype. It always work this way. People are hyped by their imagination; anything putting a cold shower at their imagination lowers hype.
  • Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Originally posted by Nadia

for me - any art is probably going to be a carrot for reminding me that EQN reveal is less than 21 days

the drawing of FV was a turnoff but its only art

I agree with Nadia here.

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156
    It looks like Neopets.
  • JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131

Yes.

I undoubtly knew the game would look this way, regardless of the art. But what I had hoped for was something with at least a fraction of originality. What we got was a copy of every "Safe" MMO art style that weve seen over the past decade.

Does this mean Im done following EQN? Absolutely not, I still wain to see more information and more gameplay video. But yes the initial excitement rush is gone. And no, that would not have happened had we seen an original piece of art, and really, just one that was actually in the vein of EQ art and style, not a psuedo Japense interpretation of EQ1 art.

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Margulis
    Question is as simple as the title states.  For me personally it did, I was very put off by the artstyle and "reinterpretation".  It would be easier for me to not feel disappointed if I felt it was just a few random illustrations that were not likely to be of the style  actually in the game - but considering that the site originally said new concept art "in the style of Everquest next" before they changed it, and the comparison photo of the screenshot smed posted on twitter to the new art showing similar huge shoulder pads and so forth, it made it seem that is indeed going to be the style unfortunately.  So for myself, it did decrease my excitement some and actually has me a bit worried about the reveal and what we will see.  How is everyone else feeling as a result of the art reveal?

SOE have been building games since the late 90's I'm sure they know what they are doing...For one they got you advertising for them for free and two they are a business and are not stupid when it comes to making PP or for the none EQ'er $$$. If you want to talk about pants art just look at Wow and how many idiots bought that game?

Bandit

Asbo

• wblastynwblastyn Member Posts: 13
    No, I'm not convinced it actually reflects the ingame graphics yet. Even if it does I don't mind, as long as the animation and gameplay is good.
  • ReznechekReznechek Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by arieste

That is a ratonga in the picture. The legs look just like a RL rat's if it was standing.

• wblastynwblastyn Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Reznechek
    Originally posted by arieste

That is a ratonga in the picture. The legs look just like a RL rat's if it was standing.

Looks reptilian to me.

• st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155
    No.  The whole idea of redoing it was to keep the original integrity of the art in tact, but updating it slightly.  It is not like it was a reboot of sorts on the original art work.  So it holds no sway in my feelings towards the game itself.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

The concept art has no bearing on the game to me.  It just made me miss a great artist like Keith Parkinson.

And sad that they let a remake of his picture through without the master race(the new picture left out the Troll. Replacing Troll with a cat man = vomit)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Grahor
    Any reveal will only lower the hype. It always work this way.

EQN concept art revealed recently on facebook

-- I dont think these dragons lower hype

http://eq2wire.com/2013/07/11/eqnext-dragon-concept-sketches/

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

It actually reminded me about the title.

I think it is a ratonga in the image. Just stylized.

It's just some art. Before we start the EQ Wailing Wall we need to wait for real screen shots.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Margulis

playing MMOs for waaay too long I have learned myself a few things;

-don't preorder unless you've participated in betas;

-don't try to login on Lauch Day;

-don't buy into hype threads on forums created by fanbois and ppl who are hired by the devs to post those threads to hype;

-play the game after doing research on unbiased reviews a while after the game has launched;

-don't go 'ooooh' and 'aaaaah'when looking at art based on the game;

-don't go 'ooooh' and 'aaaaah' when looking at movie trailers which shows absolutely NOTHING what the game

-only go by trailers with actual gameplay in it -with UI- at minimum;

-don't go 'ooooh' and 'aaaaah' when reading articles where developers say everyone should buy their product as it is the best thing ever made;

**keeping true to the points above saved me from buying many $50 boxes+subs of worthless MMO's released of the past decade.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Well, for me, I'll wait until some actual gameplay is shown to see the world. So far, it's character models and conceptual art, let me see the world.

Never been big on what the avatars looked like.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

Nifty.  seems like young vs older dragons.   Would be kind of cool if they cycled.. Naggy is hatched and grows from a minor nusence to a town killer... kill him, cycle restarts.  

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Not at all. I haven't even seen the game yet. I still sub and play EQ1, so gameplay and community trumps all to me.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

They do look pretty awesome.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Heh, I remember when I bought EQ1 and after playing the game for the first few hours thinking to myself that this game looks nothing like the box art. That is my sentiment for the "Concept art" that's been revealed so no it doesn't phase me one bit.
  • GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276

Yes the released concept art has decreased my excitement...I don't understand how the artistic style poster can be such a step backward...it's wow graphics and the "classes" depicted are uninspiring.  Heck there isn't even a single caster depicted in the poster, everyone is using weapons.  I'm worried now that EQN is going to be lazy and go with crappy cartoony graphics instead of pull the genre forward towards realism.

Games that look like games do not pull me in and immerse me and make me forget that I'm playing a game.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Wasn't really impressed with the art, but the art is so inferior to every other aspect of the game to me, I'm not phased by it one bit.  Even the music in an MMO is more important than the art choices in my opinion.  I still play games from the 90s and their dated models and graphics have no bearing on my enjoyment or level of immersion.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

Nope.

Gameplay >

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Any reveal will only lower the hype. It always work this way. People are hyped by their imagination; anything putting a cold shower at their imagination lowers hype.

This is generally true, reality usually fails to match the marketing hype.

But for me, I'm happy with a wide variety of art styles so the concept art didn't bother me at all. Had it been realistic, I still would have liked it. My only point of contention at the moment is open world pvp, otherwise I'll probably like what I hear as I'm not as difficult to please as others on these forums are.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Lets not kid our selves especially on this site.  The art could of looked like the image below and people would be defending it due to it's sandbox nature. 

Yes this is a joke!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!