Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Player Loses Revenant Supercarrier Worth Approx $8k In Combat

Comments

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Lol, and remind me why PvP is supposed to be fun again? That doesn't sound fun to me at all, it would definitely be a Kleenex moment...or a 100.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Jadedangel1
    Lol, and remind me why PvP is supposed to be fun again? That doesn't sound fun to me at all, it would definitely be a Kleenex moment...or a 100.

The only people who would really love it are the PKers. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by waynejr2

The only people who would really love it are the PKers. 

That's what I guessing. And yet the hardcore PvPers always wonder why the idea of full loot PvP is always getting shot down.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

that kill was the least of PLs worries..

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=18611012 the battle report is more fun.. about £40k value give or take 

But full loot it isn't if you look at the losses it shows that some items dropped and some didn't, so this keeps the market fresh otherwise with full loot and no 'lost' items the market valuation would be saturated on the l33t items until they held minimal value

EDIT

This is pennies in terms of the wealth of players, because one ship is worth that much converted to real cash, the fact is some of the big alliance were coining in 100s billions (conservative estimate) per month from moon goo (tech moon et al) 

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• dalewjdalewj Member UncommonPosts: 94
    ya buy the big ship, you fly it into battle, you risk losing it all.  its eve....that's all.

HomePage/Gaming Blog - http://dalewj.com . MMORPGer - Current game: http://AfterWorld.ru .
    Author of Diaries of Afterworld- http://www.jconsult.com/afterworld and the Outside Sci-Fi series- http://www.jconsult.com/outside

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    I'm not sure why someone would take such a rare ship into battle. Seems like an idiotic move to me and they paid for it.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Sorry... What?

This is the whole thing, the thrill of combat. The risk of losing something instead of same old spawn and die without consequences. Maybe if you tried something like that you would know why some people love this so much.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Nizur
    I'm not sure why someone would take such a rare ship into battle. Seems like an idiotic move to me and they paid for it.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I find it fun to take ridiculous ships into battle. Before the 200% blaster bonus, I used to fly daredevils in PVP when I could have easily used a thrasher or rifter. There was something about knowing i had to pick and choose my battles careful, weigh the odds and all that.

A ship in a station is safe, but that's not what ships are built for. ;)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I can't speak for anyone else, but I find it fun to take ridiculous ships into battle. Before the 200% blaster bonus, I used to fly daredevils in PVP when I could have easily used a thrasher or rifter. There was something about knowing i had to pick and choose my battles careful, weigh the odds and all that.

I understand the thrill of possibly losing something valuable. It's what sets games like EVE apart from your average MMO. Personally though, if it's one of just three in existence, I'd be too nervous to bring it to battle.

The silver lining is that the remaining two ships just increased in value!

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I understand the thrill of possibly losing something valuable. It's what sets games like EVE apart from your average MMO. Personally though, if it's one of just three in existence, I'd be too nervous to bring it to battle.

The silver lining is that the remaining two ships just increased in value!

Three known and thus far, Incursions are still ongoing so there will be a trickle of them going into the market every few months or so ( if only 3 ever dropped that's around... 1 every 8 or so months, give or take).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah, but the adrenaline rush you get from combat in one of those must be great. Risking everything have it's good and bad parts.

Still, it is one of the reasons I don't like mixing in real cash in MMOs.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Well deserved PL loss. Those mofos have been ruining the game with their superblobs of cowardice for too long. What they do is as close to pvp as sleeping is to an extreme sports.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258

Just to be clear, there is no 'mix' of real and ingame cash in eve. People only use usd$ as an estimate on value based on PLEX sales, but nobody realistically spends a large amount of cash for in game isk (or could witouth crashing the market). 

Think of it as a way to keep things into perspective.

Originally posted by Loke666

Yeah, but the adrenaline rush you get from combat in one of those must be great. Risking everything have it's good and bad parts.

The ship was not purchased with real cash. The ship's worth is calculated by taking its ingame value (roughly 250 billion isk) and translating that value into plex (which are worth around 500 mil isk a pop, a pair of those goes for around 25-30$ depending how thrifty you get with suppliers you hit online, so the value of the ship is roughly 7500$ if it were to have been purchased via pumping in plexes into the market and converting said plexes to isk).

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

That'll teach him to take his carrier into someone else's docking bay...

Sorry, couldn't help it    image

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

This is why I can't play EVE for more than 3 months at a time any more.

Figures were at a trillion when NC imploded or by Plex value, $30,000 US stolen by RMT bandits. it's all sensationalism of course but that's because reading about it is 1000 times for entertaining than actually doing it.

Once you are in the game it's like reading a sandwich board menu.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Nice kill!  The tears shed over that loss must have been epic.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Loke666

The ship was not purchased with real cash. The ship's worth is calculated by taking its ingame value (roughly 250 billion isk) and translating that value into plex (which are worth around 500 mil isk a pop, a pair of those goes for around 25-30$ depending how thrifty you get with suppliers you hit online, so the value of the ship is roughly 7500$ if it were to have been purchased via pumping in plexes into the market and converting said plexes to isk).

And more to this point: those plex can't be converted back into money so the plex loses its dollar value as soon as it becomes a plex.

Also, CCP owns everything in the game including our characters and anything related to our characters; we pay for a subscription to a service that they provide and that is all.

The player didn't lose anything of any value to him/her at all and could most likely afford to lose the ship since rule number two is: Only fly what you can afford to lose.

What else are you going to spend 250 billion ISK that you can afford to lose on? A revenant sounds about right to me.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooAwesomeToUse

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Nice kill!  The tears shed over that loss must have been epic.

Actually, the group seems to have taken it in stride. Grath raged initially but calmed down after a few minutes. Here's the comms:

XXXGrath RageXXX Full Version

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    I respect the fact that the ship was actually in battle. As a player who likes to fly expensive ships myself I can't help but be impressed as to actually see the thing undocked.

I won't really touch on RL conversion for Isk but I do agree that the two are intertwined quiet tightly. Much like Second Life and real world vaule.comparrisons.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

for a further update to the epicness that was PL getting AWOXED 

Very good article from The Mittani with interviews with relevant parties

http://themittani.com/features/first-degree-awox-premeditated-murder?page=0%2C0

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

Originally posted by w407309

for a further update to the epicness that was PL getting AWOXED 

Very good article from The Mittani with interviews with relevant parties

http://themittani.com/features/first-degree-awox-premeditated-murder?page=0%2C0

I would take anything posted on a CFC website with a grain of salt because they are on opposing sides of the fountain war.

• TonbelTonbel Member Posts: 4
    Rather than just releasing a Collector’s Edition of EVE Online, the team has a lot more plans to bring the EVE Online universe to the forefront of gamers and science fiction fans alike. Even those gamers who haven’t actually played the game have heard the tales of massive space battles that can last months, the internal strife of guild politics, and some of the most shocking tales of extraordinary betrayal to occur within any game ever. Currently in development are a number of projects, including bringing these tales to life.
  • AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    What is life without taking risk. Why have it if you aren't going to use it at some point. Kudos to the pilot, and well wishes from a quick recovery.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.