Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CCP hired EA's Play4Free division head

AysonoAysono Member Posts: 164

This site usually covers all the little news from CCP but surprising apparently it missed this new hire, significant  enough to merit a press release while it was reported in most mmo related site:

http://www.ccpgames.com/en/home

"Sean’s extensive experience in the games industry will be extremely valuable for us as we enter the second decade of the EVE Universe,” said Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, CEO of CCP

Any idea how Mr Decker's extensive f2p development leading experience will be utilized in CCP, particularly in the EVE Universe?

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Aysono

This site usually covers all the little news from CCP but surprising apparently it missed this new hire, significant  enough to merit a press release while it was reported in most mmo related site:

"Sean’s extensive experience in the games industry will be extremely valuable for us as we enter the second decade of the EVE Universe,” said Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, CEO of CCP

Any idea how Mr Decker's extensive f2p development leading experience will be utilized in CCP, particularly in the EVE Universe?

Since he's best known for working on FPS, the assumption is that he's being brought in to turn the DUST project around.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• AysonoAysono Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by Malcanis

Since he's best known for working on FPS, the assumption is that he's being brought in to turn the DUST project around.

No, his expertise was in mmorts like Command and Conquer. And again,

Mr. CEO did mention Sean's extensive experience and the EVE Universe in the same sentence. Just a thought...

"EVE Universe" has a specific meaning in the CCP Lexicon. Their vision is of a constellation of games that link directly into EVE, with EVE merely being the first and DUST the second. For instance, EVE-R might be the third, or they might spin off the WiS project as a seperate game.

It's a bold vision and I hope they can carry it off.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

That would make a lot more sense. Eve is not struggling and hasn't been for years. Dust didn't really go off with the bang they hoped for I assume.

Originally posted by DamonVile

That would make a lot more sense. Eve is not struggling and hasn't been for years. Dust didn't really go off with the bang they hoped for I assume.

I think that would be a fair statement. The DUST team are slowly and painfully learning some of the lessons learned by the EVE team re: listening to the players

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    as long as anything related to EA has nothing to do with World of Darkness im ok. THey can do whatever they want to the EVE universe. :p

You know it might be worth considering that is Mr Decker merely wanted to do things the EA way, then he'd have stayed in EA which is a much larger operation, will pay more, etc.

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418
    He will, however, want to apply what he learned at EA and as he's head of all product development he will eventually look to change Eve into something that he himself understands, even if he is hands off in the beginning. No exec is going to let a whole division under their control operate without their understanding of it, if they are any good that is. If they aren't good heaven help CCP.
  • Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375

He is going to be working on all three games from the Atlanta office. That means EVE, DUST, and world of Darkness.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375

The company referenced Decker's extensive industry experience as a valuable asset in helping guide EVE Online through its next 10 years and in ensuring growth through the eventually-maybe launch of World of Darkness and the expansion of DUST 514. Decker will be based out of CCP's Atlanta studio.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/02/ccp-taps-ea-s-sean-decker-as-new-vp-of-product-development/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Massively+(Massively)

He worked on more then just the C&C f2p game. Battlefield heroes, and battlefield play4free were his DICE credits.

• apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273

Dust show what's gonna happen to eve as soon as there will be some REAL competition like star citizen and maybe ellite dangerous.

Originally posted by apanz3r

Dust show what's gonna happen to eve as soon as there will be some REAL competition like star citizen and maybe ellite dangerous.

I've lost count of the number of "EVE Killer" games that have been and gone whilst EVE has still grown every year.

That reminds me - is Star Trek still going?

"Real competition"? Well I grant you that the Star Citizen team are pretty good at making promises that Star Citizen is going to be exactly what everyone wants, but with a 128 per server limit, how is it going to be "REAL" competition for EVE?

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

I think that would be a fair statement. The DUST team are slowly and painfully learning some of the lessons learned by the EVE team re: listening to the players

I could not resist , i would not say anything about dust at normal circumstanses but  you are a joke , you were the one blaming every people when they said how dust was bad  at beta and coming now and telling this now that ''Dust devs are learning '' .What did they do nearly /or more than one year at that beta ? image

EA= crap  microsoft = crap any management  from  EA / MS  = downhill for a company

Originally posted by jagd1

I could not resist , i would not say anything about dust at normal circumstanses but  you are a joke , you were the one blaming every people when they said how dust was bad  at beta and coming now and telling this now that ''Dust devs are learning '' .What did they do nearly /or more than one year at that beta ? image

EA= crap  microsoft = crap any management  from  EA / MS  = downhill for a company

No I wasn't, I was "blaming" people who wouldn't shut the hell up with their ceaseless whining about how CCP had violated their human rights and killed their dog by putting out a game on a console.

I never said DUST was a good or bad game - how could I, when I never played it? But I strongly dislike people making idiotic statements like "DUST is going to be bad because FPS don't work on consoles" or endlessly repeating the same lie that DUST didn't work with Keyboard and Mouse.

People who said "I played it and I didn't like it because of reason x, y and z" I never said anything against.

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Originally posted by apanz3r

yes yes, kindly refer to the pile of games that were supposed to be "eve killers" several years until now. how's things going for them?