Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's stop using the term "F2P"

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    F2P haters are kind of funny. They are people who refuse when offered free things and insist on paying for them. They even refuse to try things before buying them. They prefer to go in blind! In my country we call them victims.

The funniest is that they got angry when others take up free offers from the devs.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    F2P haters are kind of funny. They are people who refuse when offered free things and insist on paying for them. 

Or  they have some brain cells left and realise very few things in life are free.

Go try and give a $1000 to a homeless person and tell me how many actually refused to take it.

Almost all things "free" come with strings attached, marriage is free too.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by William12

F2P works when the company sees free players as a positive instead of a negative.   Most of them want everyone to spend $ while companies like SOE see players as content they make the world living and encourage the people who want to spend $ to spend it more often because the game is active.  

I was a big SOE hater coming from SWG. But after giving DCU a try and seeing how they ran a f2p game and looking into some of their other games I've slowly changed my tune on them.

I could live with their system becoming the bench mark for free to play. I think it has what both sides are looking for if you remain within the moderate bracket opinion wise. There's of course never going to be any appealing to people who hear Fre.. and say never going to try it.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by DamonVile

F2P works when the company sees free players as a positive instead of a negative.   Most of them want everyone to spend $ while companies like SOE see players as content they make the world living and encourage the people who want to spend $ to spend it more often because the game is active.  

I was a big SOE hater coming from SWG. But after giving DCU a try and seeing how they ran a f2p game and looking into some of their other games I've slowly changed my tune on them.

I could live with their system becoming the bench mark for free to play. I think it has what both sides are looking for if you remain within the moderate bracket opinion wise. There's of course never going to be any appealing to people who hear Fre.. and say never going to try it.

If I was to look for a benchmark model on free to play it would be LotRO. Freemium with a standard subscription, opportunity to make TP (turbine points) in the game. Yes, they would like it if you spend money but really if you wanted you could bank TP over multiple servers and buy all the content from gaming if you had no other option.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

People want more you give them a nickel they want a dime this is Obamas america where everyone feels entitled you don't like the F2P version do not play it.

SOE has the best f2p models in the business.

EQ can play the entire game free all content every zone, race, class, raid, quest all free.  In fact in EQ and EQ2 you can buy kronos for plat which give 30 days of a sub so the time you spend in game doing stuff you're earning a subscription cost if you wanted to buy that item for plat.

EQ2 ^^^^^

Vanguard ^^^^^

PS2 I play it took me 2 weeks to unlock a better weapon that is reasonable you want every single unlock in the game instantly without earning it ?  Spend the cash or earn it otherwise don't play the game if you don't like it.   You're not useless because you do not have the unlocks maybe you just suck at the game.  

Dead games do not promote spending. 

They don't charge for the expansion content in EQ or EQII anymore?  When did they change that?

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by Waterlily
    F2P haters are kind of funny. They are people who refuse when offered free things and insist on paying for them. 

Or  they have some brain cells left and realise very few things in life are free.

Go try and give a $1000 to a homeless person and tell me how many actually refused to take it.

Marriage is free?  When did this happen?  I guess if varies state by state in the U.S. but before my wife and I could get married, we had to purchase a marriage license and I'm pretty sure we would have had to pay a fee for the state to marry us even if we hadn't had a wedding at a church.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

CMTP : costs more to play
    CSG : cash shop game
    NWS : not worth a subscription
    TMC : two months of content

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

f2p is just a ''rebranding'' of a demo.

You can play it for free but not all of it.

Originally posted by Naowut

A demo stops asking you for money after  you bought the game.

A F2P game is like your alcoholist brother in law who nags you for money each time you see him.

Originally posted by azmundai

CMTP : costs more to play
    CSG : cash shop game
    NWS : not worth a subscription
    TMC : two months of content

IAT: it's a trap

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by Arclan

Originally posted by Aysono
    That's only 1 of many definitions of the word "free" ...

I have to agree. There used to be a song, "the best things in life are free," but we all know that turned out to be b.s.

That can still be true. One simply must decide what is best for them in life. Not everyone needs everything, or the 'best' materialistic gadget out there.

It's a matter of introspection and low expectations towards others, nothing more.

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

I don't mind free. There's a great deal of crappy free games that I'm glad I never paid money for. 

Don't try to argue that these titles would be better with a pay to play model. Cruddy game play is cruddy no matter how you pay for it. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by boxsnd F2P haters are kind of funny. They are people who refuse when offered free things and insist on paying for them. 

No, they're funny. Since they can't actually win, or poke any real holes in the idea of a F2P game, they start threads like this, and threads trying to say that F2P means Free, and so F2P is evil or something, and finally the thread saying F2P isn't Free because it's running on a computer that uses electricity and the internet.

Nearly every argument is based on creating a definition for F2P that doesn't exist. Most of them involve listing all the horrors of F2P games, but conveniently ignoring any and all decent or even good F2P games that exist. Every thread will, at least once, declare that if someone actually spends money on a F2P game, then they've been scammed or duped into doing so. It's all nonsense. Nonsense is funny. So, they are funny.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Or, or...we could just call ACTUAL F2P games F2P and Freemium games Freemium and stop being tools of game makers!

Games like AoC, SWTOR...Rift are not F2P, they are freemium.

How can you even say rift isn't F2P? Its one of the most open F2P games next to tera. To even put it in the same category as SWTOR is just crazy. The only thing that a person who didn't buy the game would need to buy are the new souls and that's it and those souls aren't even needed to raid. 

You can do all the the content in rift with out spending a dime. They don't lock gear, zones or limit PVP like SWTOR and many other games do.

lotro, aoc, ddo and swtor are Freemium.

Yeah, and this from a talking stack of money!! You just know he's legit.  image

Just had to...  image

Originally posted by whisperwynd

Or, or...we could just call ACTUAL F2P games F2P and Freemium games Freemium and stop being tools of game makers!

How can you even say rift isn't F2P? Its one of the most open F2P games next to tera. To even put it in the same category as SWTOR is just crazy. The only thing that a person who didn't buy the game would need to buy are the new souls and that's it and those souls aren't even needed to raid. 

You can do all the the content in rift with out spending a dime. They don't lock gear, zones or limit PVP like SWTOR and many other games do.

lotro, aoc, ddo and swtor are Freemium.

Yeah, and this from a talking stack of money!! You just know he's legit.  image

Just had to...  image

LOL nice. Its the geico money watching you. Comes with a great song too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hqBXV9pqYU

Hahaha nice..but no Michael Jackson singing in the chorus...Damn, am I THAT old?  image

A F2P game is like your alcoholist brother in law who nags you for money each time you see him.

What mmo stops asking you for money once you "bought the game" ?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Naowut f2p is just a ''rebranding'' of a demo. You can play it for free but not all of it.
    A demo stops asking you for money after  you bought the game. A F2P game is like your alcoholist brother in law who nags you for money each time you see him.

None of them stop expecting or hoping that you'll pay money, but the only F2P game that nagged me about it was Family Guy Online.

But you see what I did there? I used "F2P" in a sentence, and everyone here had a pretty good idea of what I was talking about. There's no need to stop using F2P because it adequately conveys the information it needs to convey.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

none, that's the point

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I would point out that this site already uses "item mall"  in the fee description column of the games list.

none, that's the point

I don't think I follow you. Where does the dig at f2p come from ? a p2p game asks for money every month..well demands really... and some of them even put a stupid cash shop in. I've played tera on and off this last month and have never been asked for a dime.

So if f2p is like your alcoholic brother in law does that make p2p your bitch ex-wife ?

So if f2p is like your alcoholic brother in law does that make p2p your bitch ex-wife ?

That's sort of the point of this discussion, isn't it?  It's the cash shop / item mall that's that problem.  Catagorizing games by the barrier to entry is putting the emphasis in the wrong place.

Originally posted by maplestone

That's sort of the point of this discussion, isn't it?  It's the cash shop / item mall that's that problem.  Catagorizing games by the barrier to entry is putting the emphasis in the wrong place.

I think to answer that properly I'd have to know where you stand on the whole free thing.

I'm fine with it because I know what it really means. I don't really think the name is all that important.  Like some others have said people know what I'm saying if I say f2p they know what I mean when I say p2p. Does it matter if I think p2p is a rip off and a scam ? it's not really why you're using the word in the first place.

So do you want  the name to describe what you think of f2p games or do you actually think that free word is misleading people ?

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

The games you list can be played for free.  They're free to play.

Implying they're not F2P is nonsense.  They're free to play.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

I think to answer that properly I'd have to know where you stand on the whole free thing.

Well, there go my fears that I've been spamming my opinions too much.

• Master.RyuMaster.Ryu Member UncommonPosts: 52

Yes, because no game out there is free to play to the fullest without paying a penny nowadays. 

/sarcasm

I could understand if you were talking about a certain type of "free to play" games, SWTOR for example. I'm not sure what's up with this community and wanting to throw their money at games serving the same thing every few months, such as WoW. On the other hand, you bash games that give you the game free of charge, unless you want to pay money.