Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMORPG is the best for RP?

I was searching the web these days for a RP-based MMORPG (I mean heavy RP, like SWTOR). I got really impressed with SWTOR but I couldn't find another MMO whose the RP engine was so awesome as SWTOR. I'm not sucking up to this game but I've never seen such an interactive story (the class stories for example) that makes you literally get into the game you know? I'm searching really hard for another MMORPG with this kind of RP disponibility, and I wanna know if you guys agree with me or have a nice RP-focused game to share? :)

Comments

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    EvE Online.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    So you are looking for a very story driven MMO. . . or an MMO that has a good RP community? 

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• marcelloslnmarcellosln Member Posts: 5
    Could you explain a little more what the game is all about?
    I'm wanting a well driven story like SWTOR, with in-game cinematics, and with a nice rp base, allowing the player to be free to choose whatever he wants to be you know?
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    the best mmorpg for RP is the one you feel deeply immersed in its story and your own character. THe only way to find that out is by playing various games. What someone thinks is the best for RP for them might not be for you. Thats all i can say. I dont RP but if i was an RPer i would be doing it in WoW just because its my favorite Lore of any mmo. But thats just me.

But maybe you could share one of your favorite games? :P
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by marcellosln
    I'm wanting a well driven story like SWTOR, with in-game cinematics, and with a nice rp base, allowing the player to be free to choose whatever he wants to be you know?

So like a sandbox version of swtor......yeah I don't think you're going to find that.

Most sandbox games don't have yellow brick road story lines like swtor did filled with cinimatics. I loved the story part of that game but it kind of goes against the whole open world non-linear thing where you can choose where you want to go or what you want to be.

I have preference now for a well-made story with voice dialogues and  interactive cinematics, I don't need the game to be a sandbox :P Don't you know some game that is like that?
  • alstreamalstream Member Posts: 14
    I recommend you Anarchy Online
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

TSW. 

... and you can thank me later.

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    SecondLife. I know, not the typical suggestion for a game. However, many often develop a persona naturally and role play without ever meaning to.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by DeanGrey
    SecondLife. I know, not the typical suggestion for a game. However, many often develop a persona naturally and role play without ever meaning to.

I agree with SecondLife, but to an extent.

It really does serve as more of a social media virtual world than anything else.  But they are very good at what they do.  One thing that is indisputable ... it has the most outstanding character creation of any game (Disclaimer:  SL residents don't consider SecondLife a game and they will be plenty peeved if you identify it as such).

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

This thread (and specifically the OP) confirms to me that MMO players today have no idea what role playing means.

Such a shame, really.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

The Secret World has some separate RP locations, RP servers, lets you create and participate in plays, etc. It used to have an active and nice RP community, but I haven't checked it out for a while.

Edit: Oh, if you're looking for a non-linear story like SWTOR's, single-player RPGs are the better option. The Witcher 2 and Fallout: New Vegas are the ones I'd recommend. As far as I know, no other attempts to make a SWTOR-like MMO have been made. The Secret World's story beats TOR's stories hands down as far as the quality of writing goes, though. Guild Wars 2 lets you choose some things, but they're mostly big decisions that can change the next few missions completely and not little dialogue choice SWTOR has.

• glideleafglideleaf Member Posts: 5
    Well, thanks to some of the forum members here I have a little bit of an idea what role playing is and I suggest anything medieval...or medieval-looking.
  • ZangetxuZangetxu Member CommonPosts: 18
    No world of warcraft recommendations ? that is weird
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by marcellosln

That's pretty contradictory since story driven MMOs like SWTOR do not let you be whatever you want to be.

Closest to what you want sounds like LOTRO.  It has an epic story and an active roleplay community.  Everquest 2 also has a pretty big roleplay community on Antonia Bayle and has SoEmote which alters your voice and makes your avatars face move the same way as yours.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Zangetxu
    No world of warcraft recommendations ? that is weird

I like WoW but the world isn't exactly immersive or good for roleplaying, the game just doesn't take itself seriously enough.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

SWTOR's unique selling point is the voice acted dialogue with the quests, and this is what the OP wants more of. Nothing comes close to SWTOR in this respect because they blew most of their $100 million budget on it!

The other posters here are 100% correct - RP is something that comes from within you - it is the complete opposite of a voice acted story line because, in a voice acted story line, you the player are playing a passive role - it's just like watching TV. 

Therefore, I think the original question should be re-phrased to, "What MMORPGs have the greatest suspension of disbelief?" 

The answer to this is subjective, but for me, it's used to be Eve Online because it has tremendous range and depth - it's the biggest sandbox MMORPG.

The best RP games tend to be sandbox because you have more freedom to do what you want. However, I suspect that the OP might not like that.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I can agree that EVE is a nice platform for roleplaying (and would be even nicer if we ever got WiS), but in the suspension of disbelief category it falls flat on its arse, because everytime I play it I feel like I can "see through the matrix" and all those beautiful visuals are just there to shroud my vision. Collide with (i.e. fly through ) another ship and there goes the suspension down the drain, right there. View your ship from millions of miles away in an instant (camera drones lol). Turn a big battleship still in motion and see it pivot about a fixed point on all three axles...

I could go on for a dozen other examples, but you get the point I guess.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Rift is pretty good for RP because of the custom dimensions people have made. Go to the Faeblight server and you will find all kinds of player made locations custom designed for RP.

I also think EQ2 and Vanguard are good roleplaying games because of the housing.

TSW is also a good choice.

I also see a lot of RP on my server on FFXIV.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by tom_gore

I can agree that EVE is a nice platform for roleplaying (and would be even nicer if we ever got WiS), but in the suspension of disbelief category it falls flat on its arse, because everytime I play it I feel like I can "see through the matrix" and all those beautiful visuals are just there to shroud my vision. Collide with (i.e. fly through ) another ship and there goes the suspension down the drain, right there. View your ship from millions of miles away in an instant (camera drones lol). Turn a big battleship still in motion and see it pivot about a fixed point on all three axles...

I could go on for a dozen other examples, but you get the point I guess.

I agree with you 100%.

This genre needs far more competition.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by tom_gore

This thread (and specifically the OP) confirms to me that MMO players today have no idea what role playing means.

Such a shame, really.

ya he is not asking for roleplay suggestions. he clearly misspoke or simply does not know what roleplaying means. he's asking for an mmo that will tell a great story with him at the center of that story, including cut scenes, etc.

the only other games i know of with heavy story and cutscenes would be:

FFXIV - the main storyline for your character is what unlocks much of the game for you. and it does include a generous heap of cutscenes for you as well.

The Secret World - storyline combined with cutscenes, puzzles, and some detective work make this a great game for the immersion the OP is requesting.

honestly, OP you should also try some single player games like Skyrim. you'll have a much greater chance of finding heavy story combined with cutscenes in that genre.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• tersagetersage Member Posts: 4
    Does it count mobile games?
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    As others have already mentioned, The Secret World sounds like it fits your criteria the best. However, if you don't mind jumping into something more sandboxy, Ryzom was very RP-oriented the last time I played it.

<3