Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about alts

McBiffMcBiff Member Posts: 11
I'm new to Eve and enjoying the game.I played Eve before about five years ago,for a couple of months,so it's like starting over again.That was back when there was learning skills and races were more adapted to certain roles.Back then(hope I'm right by the way)it made sense to for instance,have a Brutor for a combat pilot and a Sebiestor for a miner .Now as far as I understand race choice doesn't have any such effect on your career paths,so this leads to my question.Does it make sense to have an alt on the same accout to fill a different role?My fear is that you'll still have to cross train so many of the same skills that it may just be better to have one character with many skills than to split skill points between the two.Is having an alt(on the same account)self defeating and a waste of time and effort?I do realize that many players have more than one account and that would be the best way to go but I haven't decided if I want to spend the extra money.Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    My opinion is that it is better to have 2 accounts(or more). The problem with having another character on the same account is that you can only train one of them or play one of them at the same time.  2 accounts mean you can play both and train both at the same time. You will reach a point eventually where you can buy in game plex and use it to fund one or both accounts. Lets you have 2 accounts working in tandem - or doing different things. I often played split screen and had a miner and a fighter to defend or a hauler to keep the miner out longer. Depends on you really but I would recommend 2  or more accounts over 2 toons on the same account.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by McBiff
    I'm new to Eve and enjoying the game.I played Eve before about five years ago,for a couple of months,so it's like starting over again.That was back when there was learning skills and races were more adapted to certain roles.Back then(hope I'm right by the way)it made sense to for instance,have a Brutor for a combat pilot and a Sebiestor for a miner .Now as far as I understand race choice doesn't have any such effect on your career paths,so this leads to my question.Does it make sense to have an alt on the same accout to fill a different role?My fear is that you'll still have to cross train so many of the same skills that it may just be better to have one character with many skills than to split skill points between the two.Is having an alt(on the same account)self defeating and a waste of time and effort?I do realize that many players have more than one account and that would be the best way to go but I haven't decided if I want to spend the extra money.Thanks in advance.

For roles that take up a lot of skills like combat and mining I do think it is a waste. I have tried it :(

The only redeeming reason for alts to me are extra PI farms and light transporting for trades in spread out regions.

I have managed fairly well with only 1 account and could have it be self-sustaining if I wanted to. If only it didn't get really boring at times. Having a second account could certainly improve that.

• McBiffMcBiff Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the quick responses.Sounds like what I thought is true,that it doesn't really make sense to have an alt on the same account to fill a different role.So let me ask this.If I was to play with just one character and train him for combat and for mining say,would that be stupid?I'm asking because sometimes you just feel like doing something different and it's nice to have some flexibility when it comes to gameplay.Thanks again.
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by McBiff

Early on, it's probably best to just focus on training a single character. Once you've got the more urgently needed skills, there can be a lot of value in putting a little training onto a character on the same account: none of the following need much training

Market alt

Cyno alt

Hauler alt

Faction Warfare alt

Red vs Blue alt

Scout alt

CCP offer a "dual training" function which allows you to buy 30 days skill training for an alt on your account at the cost of one PLEX. The utility of this is that you can train up a limited function alt like one of the list above, and then stop training it and retain access to it when the 30 days are up. (If you train an alt on another account then you have to keep paying for the account even if you've done all the training that alt really needs for its purpose). 30 days is easily enough for all of the above with the possible exception of the RvB alt, depending on what sort of fights you enjoy.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Personally Cross training should not happen until you hit about 40mill sp.

This is the about the number you will get to when you have 

A Maxed out mining & their skills

B Maxed out combat on a single race (sub-cap post cap adds another 20mill sp)

Whilst there is no harm in mixing ANY skills you feel nescessary you just wont be able to do things to the best of ability, IE mine/refine/produce, the most/best Combat is notorious for neeeding every last % of free points you can give it from level 5 skills

Personally a lot of hte game does require 2 accounts to do really well (at peak i used 11 active accounts for 9 for production spread across 4 corporations) 

I ALWAYS work on premice that each account is responsible for their Plex accounts money in game, meaning that no matter what they must earn the 500mill per month on their own abilites/skills etc, This way it means you dont/wont end up with sugar daddy accounts funding all the others

Currently i just run with 2 accounts for invention and production.Because using 1 would make it barely profitable with costs and the max build slots

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161

If you are rich ingame in terms of isk then you can do dual training and not care. If that was the case though you could also get a second account so there isn't much difference except in min-maxing your isk dependant on how much time you need to train the second character.

The main difference is that dual spec'ing is most beneficial when you just want to add 4 - 8 weeks training to a character on a single account. If you are looking at long term then a second account is better because that extra startup cost and 2 x plex to do a character transfer can be absorbed.

Really though, there is no requirement to have a second account unless you feel you are really committed to the game and have a real *need* for another account.

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by ElderRat
    My opinion is that it is better to have 2 accounts(or more). <....> Depends on you really but I would recommend 2  or more accounts over 2 toons on the same account.

While I don't play EVE, this was my experience too - and as an altoholic I couldn't get it :) (since I only launch a second account in any game if I can't buy more character slots or I really need a mule)

When I tried EVE years ago, I knew 3 dudes who are playing, one of them had 3 accounts already (the other two had 1, 1).

When recently appeared in the news that EVE is still running and even has some slight account increase I asked them the current status: one of them stopped already (but had 2 accounts for years), the other two has 4 and 3, with 2+1 from those are self-sustained and payed with PLEX.

It makes me wonder, whether that slight subscriber increase is from the existing playerbase starting additional accounts all the time? :)