Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linda "Brasse" Carlson: "Highly unlikely that EQN will launch in 2013"

TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

From this Feb. 4th tweet.

@Brasse @js_resetglitch With Smed implying a 2013 launch for #EQNext there should be info on the game way b4 playing it at #SOELive.

@Khayotix Highly unlikely that EQN will launch in 2013.  Smed said we'd have "something", but that could be one of a million facets.

I was in another thread and I was amazed to hear that the community at MMORPG.com hadn't come across this information.  For those that don't know, Linda is the Director of Global Community Relations for SOE.  So, if there was something important to know in regards to EQN, its her business to keep on top of that to address community concerns.

This tweet and her reply was in regards to Smed saying this:

"Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year - and I don't mean a beta," says Smedley

Some of the controversy I've already heard was that the community should believe Smed first.  Ok, sure.  I think many of you know just how much Smed likes to talk, and spin, and hype, especially in the recent past in regards to EQN.  He is a Hype machine at this point and is pumping out all the right catch-phrases and being just cryptic enough to keep people guessing..and talking.

Sometimes, he has even gone a bit too far.  For this I give the example of his "We like permadeath for EQN" which he later recanted, tweeting "In case people did not catch the sarcasm I was kidding about EQN having permadeath :) ".  So, he likes to stir the pot and see what the community reaction will be, and how far his words will spread.

Now, I think something will be shown at SOELive.  It would be, IMHO, irresponsible after teasing us for so long.  But, "an actual release version.." of WHAT, is the question that is hanging in the air.  Combat scenes?  The game's intro?  Character creation?  Brasse seemed quite confident that it wouldn't be the game itself.

Comments

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Maybe Jan 2014 ?

Im hoping around end of Feb 2014 , that's when I will be on holiday for about 3 months so I can rush to end game and beat the game .

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    If they show up on august 2nd with nothing to show and a bunch of hopes and dreams about what EQN will be, I'ma gonna be pissed! (and no one will care that I'm pissed, but I'll still be that way)
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Smedley went on to mention that veteran EQ devs Dave Georgeson and Terry Michaels are spearheading the project, and he promised that it would be playable at next year's SOE Live event.

(which is this august)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/19/soe-live-2012-smedley-says-eqnext-is-largest-sandbox-style-mmo/

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

players will get their hands on an ACTUAL RELEASE VERSION...

...of the login screen.

...of the opening intro.

...of the SOE logo that will be present before the login screen.

...of the demo for the new /pizza command.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Grailer

Maybe Jan 2014 ?

Im hoping around end of Feb 2014 , that's when I will be on holiday for about 3 months so I can rush to end game and beat the game .

I'm hoping for a Q1 2014 release as well.  It seems realistic, but I would say Q2 at the latest.  I don't mind, as this gives ample time for strong beta testing.  Let's not have a bugged mess of a launch to ruin everything.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

How about this:

If they dont say when the beta is starting at SOE Live, we'll assume she's right.

If they don't give a release date at SOE Live, we'll assume she's right.

It's fair to assume SOMEONE will ask the Panel when the game is coming out. We'll see how Georgeson and them respond

Until then, I would be more inclined to go with Smed's "they'll get their hands on the game this year and I'm not talking about a beta" comment until proven otherwise. Which to me, I will have a good idea August 2nd if the game will release this year or not.

Originally posted by Waterlily

Smedley went on to mention that veteran EQ devs Dave Georgeson and Terry Michaels are spearheading the project, and he promised that it would be playable at next year's SOE Live event.

(which is this august)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/19/soe-live-2012-smedley-says-eqnext-is-largest-sandbox-style-mmo/

This information is 3 months older than his other interview and message.  Its still along the same line. 

The question is, if he is bringing something playable to SOELive, what is it?  The game hasn't gone into beta yet, so I'm sure they have a very heavily polished "something" for the public's eyes of a very limited nature.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by Telondariel

(which is this august)

This information is 3 months older than his other interview and message.  Its still along the same line. 

The question is, if he is bringing something playable to SOELive, what is it?  The game hasn't gone into beta yet, so I'm sure they have a very heavily polished "something" for the public's eyes of a very limited nature.

Keep in mind, Georgeson said they could have done/shown everything theyre doing at SOE Live for Everquest Next at E3. That tells me the process is going very smoothly that they could have fully revealed the game and let people play it in attendance two months prior.

if the game does come out in 2014, I dont imagine itll be long. I'm talking January/February if it isnt 2013. But to me, August 2nd I'll have a real good idea since itll be impossible for them to dodge a "When is the game coming out" "When is the beta starting" question.

Originally posted by hMJem

(which is this august)

Keep in mind, Georgeson said they could have done/shown everything theyre doing at SOE Live for Everquest Next at E3. That tells me the process is going very smoothly that they could have fully revealed the game and let people play it in attendance two months prior.

if the game does come out in 2014, I dont imagine itll be long. I'm talking January/February if it isnt 2013. But to me, August 2nd I'll have a real good idea since itll be impossible for them to dodge a "When is the game coming out" "When is the beta starting" question.

Well, I for one am hoping for a release at the end of this year.  Is that realistic?  Brasse doesn't seem to think so, but that was in the beginning of Feb.  A lot of ground could have been made since then. 

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

(which is this august)

Well, I for one am hoping for a release at the end of this year.  Is that realistic?  Brasse doesn't seem to think so, but that was in the beginning of Feb.  A lot of ground could have been made since then. 

I just hope SOE isn't dumb enough to hype up the reveal this much, and then show off some ugly ass video with terrible animation and bugs galore. They've waited this long, they better bring it.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

I remember in an interview during E3 dave said they could of showed a playable client at E3 but chose to wait until SOE Live.  

I fully expect a Q1 2014 release for the very reason SOE is releasing EQ and EQ2 Expansions in Nov/Dec.  

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Wordplay, SOE are professionals at that. Have a hunch that they will release some good info but as for a release - who knows.
  • IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by William12

I remember in an interview during E3 dave said they could of showed a playable client at E3 but chose to wait until SOE Live.  

I fully expect a Q1 2014 release for the very reason SOE is releasing EQ and EQ2 Expansions in Nov/Dec.  

Yeah, my guess is Q2 at the latest, worst case scenario type stuff.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Iadien

(which is this august)

I just hope SOE isn't dumb enough to hype up the reveal this much, and then show off some ugly ass video with terrible animation and bugs galore. They've waited this long, they better bring it.

lol, your comment made me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW7Rqwwth84

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Who knows, that tweet is over five months old. The term "release" to me means post beta and the 2nd of August is five months from '14. She is the Community Manager and therefore in charge of dealing with the community's expectations. Saying that back in Feb was doing just that.

Again, who knows.
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Who knows, that tweet is over five months old. The term "release" to me means post beta and the 2nd of August is five months from '14. She is the Community Manager and therefore in charge of dealing with the community's expectations. Saying that back in Feb was doing just that.

Again, who knows.

I'm certainly not the biggest Brasse fan.  By that, I mean she does her job of community management very well.  I've gotten into some pretty visceral back and forths with her last year over corporate double speak and lack of clarity over some major community issues.

Was she doing damage control here in this case?  I didn't get the feeling she was buffering, rather, she sounded genuinely surprised someone would think there was going to be a 2013 release.  But, again, it's a matter of inferring.

• JedidiahTheadoreJedidiahTheadore Member Posts: 48
    I'm betting on May 2014 at the earliest. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed into Aug/Sept.

Hopefully they don't push it out the door before its ready. If irc McQuaid said that he believes MMOs should have long betas and the original EQ had a 9 month beta, so hopefully EQN at least has the same length for its beta. FFXIV had a short beta and was pretty disappointing, thankfully they took it back to the drawing board.
  • NadiliNadili Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by JedidiahTheadore
    I'm betting on May 2014 at the earliest. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed into Aug/Sept.

Hopefully they don't push it out the door before its ready. If irc McQuaid said that he believes MMOs should have long betas and the original EQ had a 9 month beta, so hopefully EQN at least has the same length for its beta. FFXIV had a short beta and was pretty disappointing, thankfully they took it back to the drawing board.

It really depends on what the company is looking for with it's beta, general bug fixes and not changing the underlying game at all or intense feeback on gameplay.  I have done quite a few betas with SoE and generally they aren't looking to change core mechanics.

• DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307

The OP is actually from Feb 7.

That same conversation continues where she tells us to interpret it as we wish.

Here that same day in reference she says that even she doesnt know what they will be showing at SOELive with EQN.

Here that same day she says she has been proven wrong before to someone named Khayotic, the previous posts were to Khayos, I assume the same person but I could be wrong.

I think she didnt know back then and was just doing her job.

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Well EQN is not going to be playable at SOE Live by the actual public.  I hope no one mistakenly thinks they are going to get hands on playing time with EQ Next there.  I got this information in an email from SOE by the way.
  • DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307
    I got an email saying EQN is an EVE clone and well be going to Luclin on spaceships.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Does this need yet another thread? 

So they're covering their ass that it might not launch this year?  This matters how?

They're close either way.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Does this need yet another thread? 

So they're covering their ass that it might not launch this year?  This matters how?

They're close either way.

That's about all anyone should take from it I think, that they're covering their ass.

Presumably they've kept things under wraps all this time so other companies can't swipe any ideas.   As such, if they're revealing it now they must feel pretty good about releasing it relatively soon.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395