Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's stop using the term "F2P"

ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

One only need look at threads here to see "F2P" is hated by many and loved (dearly) by a few. But the term "F2P," is a marketing term coined by the very industry it serves. Saying "Free to Play" is about as useful as a grocery store claiming "Free to Shop."

I propose anyone who dislikes F2P to stop using that term since it only furthers their cause. Use "Monetization Model," instead or simply MM.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Comments

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

People like 'free'. Doesn't matter you call it. They will still opt for something free versus having to pay for it.

The semantics in the wording is irrelevant.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

GAS is definitely a runner-up!

In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Arclan
    One only need look at threads here to see "F2P" is hated by many and loved (dearly) by a few. But the term "F2P," is a marketing term coined by the very industry it serves. Saying "Free to Play" is about as useful as a grocery store claiming "Free to Shop."I propose anyone who dislikes F2P to stop using that term since it only furthers their cause. Use "Monetization Model," instead or simply MM.

You're assuming that people don't understand what the term means. Everyone here understands what the term means. If I use the term "F2P" to describe a game, then people have an idea of what to expect. For instance, if EQN is F2P, people know they can download, install and start playing the game without spending any upfront money.

This is just another version of the "F2P games aren't actually free" thread.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by lizardbones

One only need look at threads here to see "F2P" is hated by many and loved (dearly) by a few. But the term "F2P," is a marketing term coined by the very industry it serves. Saying "Free to Play" is about as useful as a grocery store claiming "Free to Shop."

I propose anyone who dislikes F2P to stop using that term since it only furthers their cause. Use "Monetization Model," instead or simply MM.

You're assuming that people don't understand what the term means. Everyone here understands what the term means. If I use the term "F2P" to describe a game, then people have an idea of what to expect. For instance, if EQN is F2P, people know they can download, install and start playing the game without spending any upfront money.

Yeh.

F2P is obviously free for most players, and for me.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    It should be F2T- Free to Try
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Yeh.

F2P is obviously free for most players, and for me.

I wonder if you have a t-shirt with that on it. image

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    No one is going to stop using that term until a developer is sued and loses, which will never happen...
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Maybe we should refer to them as "LE" versions of MMO's. So you have EQ2, then EQ2 LE which could stand for "Limited experience". Basically stating you don't get the full experience without paying.

In all honesty, Im sticking with F2P. People already know that F2P = Pay to compete. Now if you don't care about competition, and spending 2x or 3x the amount of time to accomplish something is no biggie, then F2P is the way to go for you. And I see nothing wrong with that.

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

Here is what I have found to be true in almost every "F2P" game I have played.

It is true that these games are "free", sure you can DL them and install them and play them without spending a dime.

What it really boils down to is the type of gamer you are at heart. Mediocre Gamer VS Actual Gamer.

For this example we will use the most recent "F2P" game I started playing seriously which is Planetside 2 by SOE. I have been playing PS2 for about 3 months now and it didn't take me but a week to realize that if I wanted to actually compete with these monsters (real fps gamers) that I would have to do 2 things.

1. Sub to the game for 14.99 a month, to increase my resource and cert gain plus allow myself more passive certs while not online.

2. Invest in enough station cash to buy the proper weapons and vehicle mounts to be a viable asset to the war effort.

Now in regards to #2, yes I am aware I could have gotten all of these weapons for 1000's of certs each at the expense of about a year's worth of play. To that I say... have you ever played this game? Do you really expect the average gamer to get their ass beat for 12 months before they can stand up for themselves in a game.... yeah probably not.

Doing these 2 things have transformed the gameplay experience into one of utter frustration, to something that is actually fun.

So what does this show us? Well in the case of PS2 it shows us that playing FREE=Frustration and headache, while spending money P2P=Happiness and Fun.

Just subbing to this game places a player from Mediocre status to contributor.

PS2 is just one example, almost every F2P game I have ever played has this distinct separation, spend money= character good, play free= character sucks balls.

F2P is F2P if you want to suck balls <---- new F2P slogan

Originally posted by madazz

In all honesty, Im sticking with F2P. People already know that F2P = Pay to compete. Now if you don't care about competition, and spending 2x or 3x the amount of time to accomplish something is no biggie, then F2P is the way to go for you. And I see nothing wrong with that.

Exactly.

Plus, there are different aspects of completion. In Marvel Heroes, you can "compete" the game with two heroes for free. The question is whether you count "playing other heroes" part of the completion.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I love the OP's sig and I think that totally describes it. Here's the flip side to your analogy, though, you might not buy a room full of clowns a drink, but would you buy a room full of beautiful women a drink (or men, whatever your choice)? 

Either way, going to the bar is free, but it gets you in the door. What you do when you're there is up to you. Shoot, maybe you hate it altogether, maybe clowns scare you, so just walk out. That's the whole point of F2P is to allow you to shop around until you find a "bar" that you really like and where you'll actually "buy a drink". The main difference is that if you're an idiot and choose to buy the entire bar rounds all night, there isn't anyone there to cut you off when you've had too much. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Who's really fooled by the word free in f2p ? I know that when I load up a f2p game I'll be able to mess around in it and play casual as long as I like. I can do lots of things as long as I'm in no rush to be at the upper end of game play any time soon. I can play for free as long as I don't have unreal expectations as to what I'm being offered for nothing.

If I really want to play the game serious I know going in I'll have to spend money.

I think most people know this.

So really the type of gamer that comes onto forums and rages that a game is p2w or that free games aren't free because people send money to get ahead.....is that person really looking for a better description of the payment model or is there something else going on there.

Originally posted by DamonVile

Who's really fooled by the word free in f2p ? I know that when I load up a f2p game I'll be able to mess around in it and play casual as long as I like. I can do lots of things as long as I'm in no rush to be at the upper end of game play any time soon. I can play for free as long as I don't have unreal expectations as to what I'm being offered for nothing.

If I really want to play the game serious I know going in I'll have to spend money.

I think most people know this.

So really the type of gamer that comes onto forums and rages that a game is p2w or that free games aren't free because people send money to get ahead.....is that person really looking for a better description of the payment model or is there something else going on there.

Exactly. There is little deception here. You know you can play part of the game free. You know what you are buying before you put in your cc number in a cash shop.

You can decide, as most players do, not to spend a dime.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

welfare games for welfare players.  wgwp.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

"f2p"

"freeloaders too, participate" 

,-)

Originally posted by theAsna

"f2p"

"freeloaders too, participate" 

,-)

Nothing wrong with freeloading when devs are practically begging you to freeload.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    I have a counter-proposition: why don't we call "P2P" - gfwm? "Games for whiny _people with inadequate intelligence to understand the business model of f2p_".
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    totally agree, F2P is misleading to the extreme
  • AysonoAysono Member Posts: 164
    Free only means no obligation to purchase, not free of charge.
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Free only means no obligation to purchase, not free of charge.
    wrong, stop using your own interpretations

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/free?q=free

free

adverb (freer /?fri??/, freest /?fri??st/)

without cost or payment

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

F2A

Free to be annoyed.

All die, so die well.

• AysonoAysono Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Originally posted by Aysono Free only means no obligation to purchase, not free of charge.
    wrong

free

adverb (freer /?fri??/, freest /?fri??st/)[list]

without cost or payment

That's only 1 of many definitions of the word "free" and the only one you selected to use but not necessary the meaning of the companies that used it.

Check this out in the same oxford dictionaries:

3. not subject to engagements or obligations:the bathroom was free

ROFL. Go take the bathroom home and claim it is free of charge?

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Sheesh you people.  It just means I can play the game for free, thats it, nothing more.

I can play for free.

I can pay for things I want if I choose to.

This isn't hard.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Aysono
    That's only 1 of many definitions of the word "free" ...

I have to agree. There used to be a song, "the best things in life are free," but we all know that turned out to be b.s.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Aysono
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Originally posted by Aysono Free only means no obligation to purchase, not free of charge.
    wrong

free

adverb (freer /?fri??/, freest /?fri??st/)[list]

without cost or payment

That's only 1 of many definitions of the word "free" and the only one you selected to use but not necessary the meaning of the companies that used it.

Check this out in the same oxford dictionaries:

3. not subject to engagements or obligations:the bathroom was free

ROFL. Go take the bathroom home and claim it is free of charge?

Context:

noun

the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed:

the parts of something written or spoken that immediately precede and follow a word or passage and clarify its meaning:

<span exgrbreak"="">word processing is affected by the context in which words appear

http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/context

Lets stay on topic please.