Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQNEXT : what about it other than IP appeals to EQ1&2 fans?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Something I realized is that most of the info regarding EQNEXT has no relation to the past titles which have a huge fan base which I assume is based off the gameplay.

the game play designs so far that were talked about are nothing like EQ1&2 spit would seem to me, the only thing that is keeping interest for the fans of the past two games are the IP, which likely will be changed anyway. So again what other than the IP has old EQ1&2 fans interested in this game?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

I would assume lore and setting, but I'm not a huge follower of the series so I can't even speak as to how close the game claims to hold true to those.

I personally am just interested to see if it will actually be anything unique and special, and if its a sandbox sans gankfesting and egotripping and closer to SWG.

I refuse however to get excited about any MMO these days, I only hope.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Since hardly anything is actually *known*, nothing at this point in time.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Pretty much that!

It may have a lot in common with EQ1 or it may not.  We'll know Aug 2nd.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    The use of certain words, like "largest sandbox ever made." and the whole storybricks thing helps too. Other than that, as was said, nothing. Barely any information yet. I'm very excited at the possibilities but as it stands at the moment I have very little tangible reasons for it. It's got my attention and next month will hopefully determine if it deserves it further.
  • keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Its a fantasy MMO made by SOE.
  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Nothing.

The IP itself if you've stuck with the original for 14 years something with new tech, new ideas, a new game engine and a huge open world appeals to you.    We didn't get what we wanted they scrapped that 2 builds ago, but as long as its norrath and says EQ its appealing.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

EQ1 and EQ2 were the only two games that I can say I have been able to completely immerse myself in. I'm not sure why exactly. Probably because both games had so much depth, there was always something to do. Could also be due to the faction systems. I am that guy who can grind mobs for countless hours to become the faction's number one fan so I could get the special crafting recipes or mounts.

Other games have come close. Rift for example was great until I hit max level then all there was to do was grind dailies or raid. It soon became dull. Most games these days don't keep me interested for more than a month.

If EQN can give me that sense of immersion and depth again I'm sure it will be a game I will play for months if not years.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    The OP asks why EQN appeals to EQ1&2 fans because from all we know it won't be anything like EQ1&2. EQ1&2 fans answer, "because of EQ1&2."
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

EQNEXT : what about it other than IP appeals to EQ1&2 fans?

just the IP interests me regarding EQN -- everything else is unknown

• st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155

I think the main drive is nostalgia - at least I know it is for me.  I have not played EQ since 2001, but I think about the "good ole days" all of the time.  EQ was a great game in its time and was revolutionary, just as WoW was revolutionary in its time which is now long past.  With the MMO experience that SOE has and the many things they've got right (and wrong) there is a lot of hope that SOE can deliver a game that is "NEXT" generation built around a world that numerous people like myself miss.

They've tossed around a lot of keywords that MMO gamer's yearn for: sandbox, hints at skill based system instead of class system, etc.  However, all of the hyper surrounding the game is still based on hope.  Hope that they learned from their own MMO's EQ, EQ2, SWG (Pre-CU and Post), Planetside, Planetside 2 and from other MMO's in what they got "right" versus "wrong".

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

Nostalgia from the previous games EQ1 was my first mmo and I got into it at Luclin so I missed quite a bit of the game already by that point and didn't have that much time to play in my youth. EQN is also the only AAA mmo game coming out that has properly used the words "sandbox", "system level tools", and "factions".

There is literally nothing on the horizon that I feel even remotely interested in until potentially Pathfinder Online, which is working with a shoestring budget compared to this.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

I'm an EQ1 fan but I hated EQ2. The above quote says it all for me at this point. I'll see what it looks like later, but I'm not very excited about it right now. 

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

EQ1 IP for me and that's it, or well, almost all of it.

I've been hoping for a game in a fantasy setting that's open world and more sandbox than most games have been in years. I've played Darkfall and DFUW and liked both, but I enjoy PvE and I felt like they were lacking in that area. I liked Eve a lot and played it for quite a while, but I'd rather have land based and fantasy.

So, EQ setting mixed with sandbox, which is vague, but hopeful and then throw in that two gaming sites voted it best of show even though it wasn't in the show gives me something big to hope for.

Asdar

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Aha , I see what you did there...

The IP is the draw, we'll see what it is, when it is.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Very simple. The idea that it's a huge land-based sandbox by the people who made the only huge land-based sandbox. Admittedly, they then went on to destroy that sandbox but, who knows, perhaps Smedley the Destroyer has learned his lesson.

Yeah, sure he has. But still.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    chance that we will finally get a sandbox game which isnt pvp focused (sure it may happend that eqn will be pvp focused, but since eq1 nor eq2 are, there is quite good chance neither will eqn)
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    The OP asks why EQN appeals to EQ1&2 fans because from all we know it won't be anything like EQ1&2. EQ1&2 fans answer, "because of EQ1&2."

well nobody really knows yet ,it may well be a groundbreaking game but what we do know is it has lore, factions, classes and its Norrath big open world etc

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

nothing at all, it can simply have the name everquest and i will at least give it a try at launch.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    At the moment, the fact it has the Everquest name means the game has got my attention, but there has not been anything given out yet that would persuade me to buy the game. Only when SOE have put some substance before us to judge the game will i be able to make any kind of decision about it. EQ2 was after all, a dismal failure, that EQN is starting off F2P does mean i'm a little less interested than before, but i'll wait until more is known about the game before i write it off completely.image
  • JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I like the idea of a sandbox styled game set in Norrath.

Beyond that, waiting until Aug 2nd to see if all this is going to amount to anything.

• CamoebCamoeb Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by Phry
     EQ2 was after all, a dismal failure

How can you even say that? Define failure. Vanguard was a failure, EQ2 did fine with sub #s, no it didn't have 12 million subs at any given time but I would never call the game a failure. It had it's own good qualities. Some of which I hope carry over to EQN

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

It's the IP.

It seems worthwhile to put countless hours in developing/leveling up a character in an EQ game because to me a character in the EQ universe seems more tangible than a character in any other random MMO. In other words, to me it just seems to be the place to see and be seen. It hasn't been since EQ1 since I found myself in conversation with random strangers about my MMO character

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Its the IP at this point period.  As someone said earlier, EQ1&2 are the only games that I have ever been able to play for any length of time.  Even though I think $OE is on the same level as the devil himself, I have fun playing EQ titles.  I just hope I like what I hear on Aug 2nd.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

EQ was a great time for many of us.  I know I remember it fondly.

EQ2 was just a harder version of WoW that took a better computer to run (so I enjoyed it).

SOE makes great games (EQ, EQ2, DCUO, Planetside, Planetside 2).

They did a great job saving Vanguard from doom.

And they said it's going to be a sandbox (How exactly, is unknown so far).

But there are no good Sandbox MMORPGs on the market with a fantasy setting (EvE is great for Sci-Fi).

So SOE (Good company with lots of resources), EQ franchise (Great memories), Sandbox (No other games in town really).

More than enough to get me pumped.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

The IP means doodly squat to me as I thought the original Everquest was a horrible game with horrible design decsions and I for the life of me do not understand why anyone would of played it.  But then again I was an Asheron's Call fan and always and to this day believe it was the much better game.  The only reason, I am interested in the game is because it promises to be a sandbox game or at the very least have some sandbox elements. 

At this point TESO is the game I wish would be better because of what I know about that game as far as the things I deem important, combat, progression and exploration are exactly what I look for in a game but it lacks the endgame I want out of a game.  SO basically EQN is getting all my hype based on the unknowns instead of what I do know of TESO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!