Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Firefall: Open Beta is a Go

Comments

• Stormfire962Stormfire962 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by rentantilus
    I liked this game better back when it was called Global Agenda

Not sure where you are getting information.  But this game was never called Global Agenda.  HiRez developed GA.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I have been testing this game for a while now and the open beta release is ten times worse than the alpha or closed beta ever was.  There main problem seems to be their servers can't handle the stress.  At this point there are problems accessing inventory, upgrading your battlesuit, and crafting because they can't connect.  You even get the 503 error code which mean server is unavailible.  Really hope they can upgrade or fix the connection issues, all around the game is not bad a good game for relaxing if you don't want to play one of the hardcore mmo's at the time.
  • apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I love that there is no "purpose". Maybe the purpose is to have no purpose. I like being in the game and not having the burden of having to complete quests or whatever. Just exploring, playing and discovering the game at my own pace. No race to complete quests and level up. Just pure fun playing, I guess that is one of the reasons it is deemed a sandbox.
  • bludragon201bludragon201 Member Posts: 4
    I'm surprised no one mentioned that you can't even go buy your 2nd weapon as part of the questing that the game provides, so until they fix the npcs to actually bring up the list of stuff you can buy im not gonna even bother playing.
  • dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

yu can but i think its bugged i got it to work after i logged out and in

n this game is more of a type o game where yu log in play a bit then log out

thts wat im gonna do play this wen i dun feel löike playin any of the "heavier" mmos :)

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Started playing in closed Beta around Christmas time.  Played it A LOT, daily, like 3-4 hours a day for a couple months.  The game has changed quite a bit since then and I think they are heading in the right direction.  This game will totally hit the craving for those who liked games like Tabula Rasa and RYL.  Has a little bit of a Borderlands/Tribes feel to it as well!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111

Most people don't do very well when someone isn't holding their hand in an MMO.

Firefall isn't going to hold your hand, tell you to look both ways.

You do what you want in firefall.  You open your map like a big boy, look for icons, learn what they do, ask questions (yep, talk to strangers!) and go do the missions.

If you don't like that go Thump, or explore, or do achievements. Do what you want to do.

You have an Activities director on the right hand side of your screen, follow the hard to understand arrows pointing you in the direction of the large Waypoint on your screen, floating in the world.

• ZhurmenZhurmen Member Posts: 1
    The fix some lags today, im happy :)
  • SilynseSilynse Member UncommonPosts: 19

Let me tell you, Ive been a founding member for about a year now with that game. Its come a long way. but its pretty boring overall. The game itself has been being developed for two long and its no longer fresh, and frankly, the map is FAR to small, and the polish wont arrive in time for the mainstay of new gamers wanting something fresh to stick around.

Red 5 messed up. The quests this guy are talking about with storyline. ARE BORING. There is no genuine connection to my character or his world on any level. The opening movie is as emotionally bound as you are going to get to ANYTHING in that game. it feels like they threw all their money into advertising and making the intro into something gripping, and then left me with a character in a Brazilian haven and said "go do stuff, well get back to you with more stuff to do."

I bought the most expensive founders pack because I have money, and I always support the gaming community when I see promise in something. But these guys haven't delivered in a strong way, honestly, if this site give the game anything bigger than a 6, then its because MARK plugged it and is one of their staff.

If any MMO released and took player money and looked like this and played like this, then it would be shunned by this site, so I definitely AM interested to see what happens here. And if I was an investor in RED 5 or their product, I would be a bit upset and looking at solidifying a release strategy and expanding the playable map, or pulling my funding at this point. There are a TON of indie studios who wouldn't have wasted as much time as Mark and his boys have done thus far.

On a good note, the PVP in the game is fun and engaging, and in a five man team, for a bout thirty minutes, youre gonna have fun. But then its all repetition. Sorry. just  not worth money for sure. But a disappointment overall unfortunately. And Mark has made an ass out of himself plugging his game constantly every five days.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

I do agree the game still has to grow and add more polish, content and dynamic events but all those people that can't just go and explore, have fun and play the game without some script holding their hand and telling them every step of the way what they have to do: Just go play one of the many theme parks available, this game is not for you.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• blohm86blohm86 Member Posts: 43
    Oh god the pain.. of seeing this kind of game... the hype... the fail
  • falconhandfalconhand Member UncommonPosts: 50

Have to agree with the response from wraithone. In the end it is up to you what you are going to do with a game. I still like the concept of the game, however the reason why I think I will leave the game after an intensive try will be the graphics.

Maybe it is because I am getting older. But for me graphics are important. Tried gw2 and left it because of the graphics. Some gamers hate the funcom games but I still go back to age of conan and can't wait for the new mission pack 7 for tsw.

Like others said before me. Try it and if you do not like it, leave :) But at least try it with an open mind.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    It's interesting that the overall theme of all the comments I have read is that there is no handholding, No rails, no one to say do this, then do that.

And yet isn't that what all of you clamored for?
    Wow has ruins a generation, you will never like anything, you people don't seem to have the self intuition to solve problems on your own.

When uo came out, heck even eve, Eq, AC, you had to use your head, and people enjoyed the challenge.

Now all I see is the bleating of sheep.

Poor world

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    You illustrated my point exactly, thank you.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Played it for a couple more hours yesterday but didn't change my opinion much. Its fun to run around and shoot stuff, but theres not much beyond that. You get XP, unock skills and weps, farm resources, craft upgrades, do random missions. But theres no real point to any of it. It doesn't have the staying power of a real MMO. It doesn't have the freedom of a sandbox.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by Silynse

Let me tell you, Ive been a founding member for about a year now with that game. Its come a long way. but its pretty boring overall. The game itself has been being developed for two long and its no longer fresh, and frankly, the map is FAR to small, and the polish wont arrive in time for the mainstay of new gamers wanting something fresh to stick around.

Red 5 messed up. The quests this guy are talking about with storyline. ARE BORING. There is no genuine connection to my character or his world on any level. The opening movie is as emotionally bound as you are going to get to ANYTHING in that game. it feels like they threw all their money into advertising and making the intro into something gripping, and then left me with a character in a Brazilian haven and said "go do stuff, well get back to you with more stuff to do."

I bought the most expensive founders pack because I have money, and I always support the gaming community when I see promise in something. But these guys haven't delivered in a strong way, honestly, if this site give the game anything bigger than a 6, then its because MARK plugged it and is one of their staff.

If any MMO released and took player money and looked like this and played like this, then it would be shunned by this site, so I definitely AM interested to see what happens here. And if I was an investor in RED 5 or their product, I would be a bit upset and looking at solidifying a release strategy and expanding the playable map, or pulling my funding at this point. There are a TON of indie studios who wouldn't have wasted as much time as Mark and his boys have done thus far.

On a good note, the PVP in the game is fun and engaging, and in a five man team, for a bout thirty minutes, youre gonna have fun. But then its all repetition. Sorry. just  not worth money for sure. But a disappointment overall unfortunately. And Mark has made an ass out of himself plugging his game constantly every five days.

Thanks. This was exactly what I was trying to say. It lacks the rpg of a themepark and the hardcore of sandbox. Its just a shooting gallery.

• ExittiumExittium Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by orbitxo
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Tried it out yesterday and quit after about 15 mins. Its not really clear what youre supposed to do or allowed to do in the game. Noobs need some direction and purpose, or at least steering into a group people to get an idea of what the point of the game is.

Really?  I found the tutorial for events, unlocking SIN locations, and all of that pretty handy.  Plus there's the main story and daily achievements.  The main thing I think needs more explanation is crafting.

It just didn't flow well. They drop you off in Copacabana and theres no real direction on how to start having fun. Went to a SIN think, hit E, but then what? WHat do the Devs want me to be doing exactly?

ah see here where mmo gamers may differ- when i played defiance and had that hologram girl waiting for me i thought- oh boy another wow.

here you explore hands on what you wanna do how you wanna do it u activate the sin the ares missions activate they give you one mission todo by oilspill guy and aereo speaks to you all the time informing you whats around togo and do-

not exclamation point on top of an npc head no quests requirement- that to me is refreshing. i mean perhaps if copacabana was beign invaded by arhanas when u arrive thatll give you an incentive- but every mmo has that..

i love that u get dropped in this town copa and start exploring at your own pace.

that to me is an open world eviromment!

Exactly for me when I get into an MMO, i want it open and to be able to do my own thing, i.e. Ultima Online, and like firefall I can get in do my own thing.  I do find it unique but in a great way and for me fun.. 

The problem firefall may have it can be overwhelming to those other mmo gamers who have soley played WoW or something of it and has, the who's, whats, whens, where's, why and how told to them with the exclamation marks over the heads. 

• ZephlosZephlos Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by Dkuang
    Originally posted by BelegStrongbow
    Originally posted by Dkuang

I contributed $100 to Red5 Studios for their founders packs since I felt they had a good business model for their F2P game and at the time the game seemed to have a bit of potential. Now though, even after their "Miracle Patch" I'm very much inclined not to play the game anymore.

Firstly, content...not much of it, even with world events happening etc, they just don't seem to be "exciting" or even worth doing honestly. Gear and differentiating yourself from the next guy with the same battleframe...meh at best. They couldn't give us more skins for weapons, armor parts, etc either? As far as movement and getting around, sure you can sprint forever as their isn't a stam bar, but sometimes jet pack jumping over mountains and hills cant happen, simply because their controls are a bit herky jerky, invisible walls, or just because I dont know.

As for crafting over haul, I'm up in the air about it. I still feel crafting is only mediocre at best and they honestly need to guide new players a hell of a lot more in everything the game offers imo and lack of direction in the game is also meh. I don't know, the game still needs a lot of polish to get out of "open beta" or in my eyes, its just "Beta".

I am in the same boat as you,  Only I feel a little different.  Have you tried your Bike?  That's a lot of fun for movement and transport,  also gliders and glider pads. 

My issue with the content is just that there really isn't any real end game or purpose to fight for.  They really need to add open world PvP and some kind of player control to the world.  Clan controlled bases, fortresses,  Open world PvP,  Seiges,  etc. 

Tabula Rasa was going in that direction before it shut down,  clans could take over and hold bases,  bases would attack players you were at war with.  Then some kind of Overall Bragging rights system needs to be implemented.  User profile with KDR, pvp stats, etc.  They are trying to make this an e-sports game but they are lacking the essentials.  O and where is the epic world events where a giant alien comes down over the town and you can strap into a turret.?

Trust me man, I played the game for a solid 3-4 months last year around the spring, then just flat out stopped playing because there was literally NOTHING to do. Thumping was pointless, crafting was easily taken care off (be it was a lot more simple and stream lined than the current version, but both still didn't fill the whole different gear, different looks field). I like the Glider changes for sure, I'm not accidentally dropping to my death anymore. As far as my Locus Chopper, well its awesome but the controls on it and the dismount is like the rest of the controls, herky jerky at times.

When they sent out those surveys as to why you don't log on and what would you like to see in the game, changes, etc (FEEDBACK basically). I always said there was nothing to do, crafting needed major help, more itemization in gear/parts to make you not look like the next guy who's also a Biotech, and the next biotech outside of just the limited array of colors for your battleframe.

As far as those praising them for the lack of "direction" because it opens up the world to you...seriously?! Are we playing the same game? What world? The small piece of dirt they call open world sandbox mmo? Please, I've played Ultima Online, that game had no tutorial or direction but in a sense you had the resources and ability to dictate how you shaped your character and persona. However, in Firefall you aren't given many options or resources to do that. You're forced to thump, to just run around shooting random junk for well..more junk to do more junk? Makes sense? No? Because it surely doesn't make sense to me and a lot of others I suppose.

Red5 needs to content patch Firefall like a mother eeffer, patch in a hell of a lot more npc mobs, events, resources, gear mods, battle frame mods, weapon mods, skins, quests, better crafting, more reason for people to shoot this and go their too basically. Also, one of my gripes too was the ridiculous ease of ammo and the ridiculous limit of how much ammo we could carry. Just feels like we're running around spamming shots all over the place, not caring about hitting or missing. :( Long, I know, but jeez the game could of been soooo much better with sooo much potential..and this...this is what they came up with at the end of the day and slapped "OPEN BETA" on it. God help us all if this is how the gaming market is turning into with its developers and customers.

I wont even add my 2 cents. You guys already covered the bulk of R5's retardation.

• ZephlosZephlos Member UncommonPosts: 35

Just something one of the more knowledgeable members mentioned to me a while back. 

I found it interesting and considering he was more than willing to back up his facts I would at least look into it.

"Yeah, Red5's parent company (The9) is now on shaky water financially, and all of it's Executives(Chinese) are racing to distance themselves from poisonous development projects (like foreign American mmo-shooter games that have been in beta for multiple years spending 100s of 1,000s of dollars on youtube video productions or whatever).

As for Red5, they've personally recently taken to referring to The9(their parent company) as "our owner IN PART(tm)". This suggests a? coming finance conflict"
  • mrkit73mrkit73 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by orbitxo

you had fun?= yes.

you had fun?= no.

thats all there is too it.

most likely the people who logged right off after 15minutes will prob never comeback to play it.  Red5 know where the voices need to be heard-

just becaouse its free it wasnt designed for you. and if it dosent meet your expectations it dosn t mean its a horrible game.

i can think of 3 titles that are currently in full release and dont even scale upto this game!

SW:TOR was better than this "game".

• Home15Home15 Member Posts: 203
    I rather play unreal tournament.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by DMKano

Played it for a couple more hours yesterday but didn't change my opinion much. Its fun to run around and shoot stuff, but theres not much beyond that. You get XP, unock skills and weps, farm resources, craft upgrades, do random missions. But theres no real point to any of it. It doesn't have the staying power of a real MMO. It doesn't have the freedom of a sandbox.

I agree, because Firefall has never had a clear focus from the devs as far as what kind of game it is, and it shows.

If FF started out as a sandbox game from inception it would be apparent, but the schizophrenic scatterbrain approach where they changed the direction constantly during last several years of development didn't help any.

This.  I'd say that currently firefall is too much of a mess to be any good(also too much grind).  It's possible they may get thier act together, but I feel it unlikely.

I think someone put it best on the firefall forums a few months ago.  You grind in order to make it a bit easier to grind.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by killahh
    It's interesting that the overall theme of all the comments I have read is that there is no handholding, No rails, no one to say do this, then do that.

And yet isn't that what all of you clamored for?
    Wow has ruins a generation, you will never like anything, you people don't seem to have the self intuition to solve problems on your own.

When uo came out, heck even eve, Eq, AC, you had to use your head, and people enjoyed the challenge.

Now all I see is the bleating of sheep.

Poor world

I'd say the problem is that firefall isn't a deep game, like uo, eq or ac.  I think it's much closer to the likes of wow at it's core.  It just doesn't have any real direction to it.  the tutorial is pretty useless, the crafting interface is very badly designed and last time I looked had no explenations anywhere,  there are no real consequences to anything, so no stick(no real character development anymore so no carrot either), you get the idea.  Most things in firefall are actually quite simple just badly designed and/or no explenations to them.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Honestly, I had more fun playing Defiance than Firefall.  I have a feeling Firefall is going to tank badly.  Being an ex-Blizzard dev doesn't always mean what they make will succeed.  The track record of former Blizzard people is spotty, at best.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• emperionemperion Member Posts: 23

If you have any sense of adventure, you go out and look around and find it out for yourself.  

I Guess some people like being spoon fed and burped.   Kids these days are so lazy and lacking of their own initiative.

"Whats That Mr. Death Knocking At Your Door, Who's Gonna Die Tonight?"