Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just can't love this game

AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

Firstly, I'm a player of GW since the first game came out, it was amazing. The time I've spent chosing what skills to use and how to combine them was the best memories I have about GW1. However, with GW2 the story is totally different. I'm trying to like it, but being so restricted with the weapon skills turns me off. Things like dodging warrior attacks, draining his mana, causing damage everytime his mana reached zero, and causing additional damage if he didn't use a skill in 3 seconds, was a good combo (Mesmer, GW1), but in GW2 there aren't skills in the same weapon which blend decently with each other.

Of course, the game also has a bigger and better world, dynamic events, good crafting...etc, but the skill problem is killing it for me.

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Nothing to be ashamed of then.  This game is not for you.  I am the opposite. I never really liked the original Guild Wars and have to say this might be my favorite game of all time.  I realize that is a loaded term so let me just say I am at least still having a blast with this game and I have been playing steadily since launch. Maybe one of the newer games to come out will grab you then. 
  • AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Well, the only shame is having payed 50 euros or so for a game I barely played. But well, lesson learned. I'll be trying the open beta of Firefall, it looks promising. It reminds me Planetside 2 a little bit

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by AtrusV

Firstly, I'm a player of GW since the first game came out, it was amazing. The time I've spent chosing what skills to use and how to combine them was the best memories I have about GW1. However, with GW2 the story is totally different. I'm trying to like it, but being so restricted with the weapon skills turns me off. Things like dodging warrior attacks, draining his mana, causing damage everytime his mana reached zero, and causing additional damage if he didn't use a skill in 3 seconds, was a good combo (Mesmer, GW1), but in GW2 there aren't skills in the same weapon which blend decently with each other.

Of course, the game also has a bigger and better world, dynamic events, good crafting...etc, but the skill problem is killing it for me.

I prefer guildwars 1 as well buddy.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by AtrusV

I prefer guildwars 1 as well buddy.

And I couldn't stand GW1. I will admit that the skill limitations in 2 vs. the skill flexibility of GW1 is enough to turn people off to the game. I also took the time to learn about the game before buying to know GW2 IS NOT GW1.  If I based my experiences off of playing the first GW then I would have missed out on 1000+ gaming hours that I really enjoyed in the second. Although the builds were very flexible in the first game, I can honestly admit that soo many of them were bloat and I never saw the point in touching them so I can't even really say I enjoyed that aspect of GW1.... but I can see your point and respect your opinion.... I just disagree.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I liked both games, to be honest.  The biggest drawback between the two:  Grouping.

In GW1, I felt compelled to group because frankly, some encounters were rather rough otherwise.  And it was enjoyable.

In GW2, I didn't really need to group, outside of the dungeons.  The nature of the dynamic content made it not necessary.

I could solo pretty much all the way to 50, which to me, isn't what I want to do.  I do enough soloing as is.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I am still playing GW2 extremely casually on and off. I think I have about 200 hours played in total now (is that casual for almost a yeaar?). I kinda like the game but I vastly preferred GW1. I find the skill system unnecessary restrictive in GW2 too. I also disagree with people who say that all those builds were bloat. GW1 had a lot a lot more viable builds compared to GW2 and energy management was an important part of the game. GW2 removed that aspect which makes their combat system feel more simplistic. Spam to your heart's content especially as many skills have very low CDs.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76
    I actually prefer everything in GW2 quite a bit compared to 1, except the story and the skill system in 1 is hands down the best I've seen in any MMO. I think the trait system though helps a bit for making it feel customizable, but I get where you're coming from if the skill system really puts you off.

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    An MMORPG with a skill system akin to a trading card game would have been revolutionary.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    GW2 is my main preference over GW1.  The game just feels better IMO.  If it's not for you (and it seems to be that way) perhaps it's time to move on to something different. 
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

For the box price you can one of the best value out of any mmo.
    It was worth every cent i payed for it.

But after some time i just started to mis healing and wish i had more spells on my action bar.
    It becomes realy repetitive both in pve and pvp.

But that doesnt take away that this is currently one of the best mmo's out there.
    But like all mmo's it cant please everyone :)

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I totally agree. There's a lot of content for the box price and it's the best implemented cash shop I've seen.

The art style is beautiful and animations are good without being rooted while casting - which really pisses me off in any other game now. Kill sharing was new for me and now I couldn't go back to kill stealing. No competing for gathering nodes - great. That little button 'deposit all collectables' <3 

However I agree with OP. As much as I wanted to love it, I couldn't - the story was insulting to anyone over 12 years old, I played a human thief and necromancer which both seemed absurd from a roleplay perspective without choice in the story to be anything other than nauseatingly good natured and heroic.

I was bored of my skills after about 30 levels, had to keep respecing to keep it interesting enough to get to lvl 80.

They got rid of the trinity, which was interesting. Then replaced it with nothing. I'm a PvE player and like to have a role. The dungeons looked beautiful but the group play was ridiculous, I had at least some utility with 'stealth reviving' which is basically all I ever did other than stack DoT's on packs or backstab bosses. 

WvW was a nice concept, but it's always going to be a zerg, and giving classes so much AoE just made the whole thing stupid. I'm worried ESO will be the same, but I didn't play DAoC. I'd be interested in a PvP zerg with only single target abilities, would still just be a screen full of nameplates and invisible enemies at 10fps though probably.

I joined several guilds which felt just as pointless as discussing strategy in a dungeon. The only reason to join was for the passive buffs and a chat channel to talk shit in. All dungeons were PUGable, no large group content. Imagine a 25m raid with their FFA no trinity system, lol.

I really don't understand how it's kept some people busy since launch. Each to their own.

• SnigerknudSnigerknud Member UncommonPosts: 60

I all so miss the skill system from GW1 and I miss the nights when we made a grp of 3 peppl for underworld (3 rangers) and had a blast down there 2-3 hours..

And the Guild vs guild was so fun in the old days.

GW2 is stil the best game and most polished game out there at the moment but they should have taken some of the things from GW1 that they know peppl did love and use it again in GW2.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I think having 3 sets of skills for each weapon set would be a happy compromise.

Still much easier to balance than GW1, but a bit more variety.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    OP you have no idea how many times i tried to get into GW2 again. Atleast 5 times in last one month alone and i log out after 10 minutes. The skill progression really killed it for me. I still play GW1 and enjoy elite skill hunting. I just can not stand spamming same skills stuck to my hotbar from lvl 1 to 80 in GW2.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt

I totally agree. There's a lot of content for the box price and it's the best implemented cash shop I've seen.

The art style is beautiful and animations are good without being rooted while casting - which really pisses me off in any other game now. Kill sharing was new for me and now I couldn't go back to kill stealing. No competing for gathering nodes - great. That little button 'deposit all collectables' <3 

However I agree with OP. As much as I wanted to love it, I couldn't - the story was insulting to anyone over 12 years old, I played a human thief and necromancer which both seemed absurd from a roleplay perspective without choice in the story to be anything other than nauseatingly good natured and heroic.

I was bored of my skills after about 30 levels, had to keep respecing to keep it interesting enough to get to lvl 80.

They got rid of the trinity, which was interesting. Then replaced it with nothing. I'm a PvE player and like to have a role. The dungeons looked beautiful but the group play was ridiculous, I had at least some utility with 'stealth reviving' which is basically all I ever did other than stack DoT's on packs or backstab bosses. 

WvW was a nice concept, but it's always going to be a zerg, and giving classes so much AoE just made the whole thing stupid. I'm worried ESO will be the same, but I didn't play DAoC. I'd be interested in a PvP zerg with only single target abilities, would still just be a screen full of nameplates and invisible enemies at 10fps though probably.

I joined several guilds which felt just as pointless as discussing strategy in a dungeon. The only reason to join was for the passive buffs and a chat channel to talk shit in. All dungeons were PUGable, no large group content. Imagine a 25m raid with their FFA no trinity system, lol.

I really don't understand how it's kept some people busy since launch. Each to their own.

Everyone does have a role in a dungeon, especially in a dungeon. Some people are just too blind to see it and prefer to "mash them buttonz" and meatshield instead of .... you know ... actually playing the game. 

If you think more than 5 minutes about it, you will see that there are tanks in Gw2 and there are healers :) 

You lost some skills from Gw1, you got yourself a trait system tied with the weapon system which does make some interesting options. But you have to try. The game doesnt spoon feed you on this one

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt

Everyone does have a role in a dungeon, especially in a dungeon. Some people are just too blind to see it and prefer to "mash them buttonz" and meatshield instead of .... you know ... actually playing the game. 

If you think more than 5 minutes about it, you will see that there are tanks in Gw2 and there are healers :) 

You lost some skills from Gw1, you got yourself a trait system tied with the weapon system which does make some interesting options. But you have to try. The game doesnt spoon feed you on this one

The thing is the roles aren't really necessary for completing the content so no one bothers. The rez / dps method works for most everything. It really comes down to poor game design.  If you can't design the content to require it, then now matter how neat or innovative it is, it is pointless.....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by Snigerknud

I all so miss the skill system from GW1 and I miss the nights when we made a grp of 3 peppl for underworld (3 rangers) and had a blast down there 2-3 hours..

And the Guild vs guild was so fun in the old days.

GW2 is stil the best game and most polished game out there at the moment but they should have taken some of the things from GW1 that they know peppl did love and use it again in GW2.

Haven't you heard? GW2 takes all the features you love about GW1 ...

(and shits on them)

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

The rez / dps method works for most everything.

Try that in dungeons... when was the last time you played this game?

Yesterday..... and yes you can go through most of the content with little to no coordination....... 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Yesterday..... and yes you can go through most of the content with little to no coordination....... 

The person you answer to talks about dungeons. And no, you can't get through any dungeon without coordination, and you can't rez-zerg anymore. If you don't know that, then your opinion on this doesn't matter because it's obvious that you don't know a thing about it.

About the rest of the content? Many world elements of GW2 are "harder" (relatively) than most of the other theme park games released in the last 8 years. In all WoW and clones, you can level facerolling your keyboard, just standing there without even moving. Try that in GW2, without dodging, without removing those conditions when needed, etc... and enjoy the repair bill. And don't even get me started on stuff like jumping puzzles, where player skill matters even more, and not just stats on your gear.

But the person you answered to was talking about dungeon, you answer by saying you can rez/dps. You can't. If you think you still can, they you are not telling the truth, and you didn't play the game for a long while.

You can.... Sorry but it is true..... You are right about the jumping puzzles. They do take some skill. My wife can't do them at all. I wouldn't say that the rest of GW2 elements are harder though..... There is a reason that there are so many posts about how easy and casual the game is. Not that it is a bad thing. Everyone has their own tastes. 

Originally posted by Tierless

It's not the one you love. It's the one you call when your in the mood for a quick fix until something you can really love comes along and frankly, it was designed to be that way.

This! I couldn't have said it any better.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

The person you answer to talks about dungeons. And no, you can't get through any dungeon without coordination, and you can't rez-zerg anymore. If you don't know that, then your opinion on this doesn't matter because it's obvious that you don't know a thing about it.

About the rest of the content? Many world elements of GW2 are "harder" (relatively) than most of the other theme park games released in the last 8 years. In all WoW and clones, you can level facerolling your keyboard, just standing there without even moving. Try that in GW2, without dodging, without removing those conditions when needed, etc... and enjoy the repair bill. And don't even get me started on stuff like jumping puzzles, where player skill matters even more, and not just stats on your gear.

But the main point is that person you answered to was talking about dungeon, you answer by saying you can rez/dps. You can't. If you think you still can, then you are not telling the truth and you didn't play the game for months. Removing the ability to rez zerg in dungeons was done like 6+ months ago.

When playing my guardian I can literally faceroll my keyboard and pawn everything in the world. I don't have to dodge, move etc. I just stand there and spam my skills and pawn 5-6+ mobs. I guess if you played something like thief that might be different.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• JoxarJoxar Member Posts: 5
    Hello! i am new here in the communtiy , how is everyone? i am glad that there's a forum section here of Guild wars 2. I am from Jade Quarry server.  I think players have their own preference and it depends on your preference.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well incoming hate... but Guild Wars 1 I didn't like much I'll admit, I had a harder time playing it then GW2 and managed more time on GW2. Still Guildwars 1 is far superior mechanics wise then GW2. Considering combat is the main feature of GW1 and even GW2, it really sticks out like a sore thumb that its just far less in depth, relying far to much on dodge to make combat more 'advance' for GW2 which just doesn't do enough and makes it very stale and simplistic. Its a bit unfortunate that they didn't try and make combat more interesting. I know GW1 might be too 'hardcore' but it still feels a waste they didn't try to at least keep it more involved. 

Just because a game is a Sequel, doesn't mean its going to be good or appeal to people who enjoyed the first. GW2 feels like it just uses Guildwars for a name to carry it sadly, rather then actually making itself a true Sequel.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Vorch

I think having 3 sets of skills for each weapon set would be a happy compromise.

Still much easier to balance than GW1, but a bit more variety.

Agreed, about a billion percent. There is honestly quite a bit they could do with the current skill system. Additional skill sets for all weapons could open up after level 40, with another set becoming available at 80. Keep the sets together and don't allow for skill swapping between the sets. They could make sets based on mobility, but sacrifices a bit of damage. Condition based sets, supportive sets, etc.

I would say that's my only real sticking point with GW2 is that the weapon sets become far too repetitive after awhile. Some sets are utter trash compared to other weapons as well.

Additionally, I'd like to see more utility skills becoming more than what they are. Many of the utility skills are boring, or have such a long cooldown, that they don't really feel more than just a "Oh Crap!" button.