Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: Music, Arts, and... Swimsuits?

Comments

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Maeby 2 years ago... but now AA just looks old... took too long to become reality.

And race cars... 

Beautiful dream, yet again ruined for good.

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Boy, I can remember just like it was yesterday, when ArcheAge was the Great Hype Hope for the Bittervets.   I guess that title will go to EQNext until reality rears its nasty head there too.

I do find this sort of cobbling in all sorts of anachronisms to kill immersion in a game.   If you can only do it in your own home, that's one thing, but if it impinges on the world, that's another.  We'll see....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

As goofy as it sounds im glad they are doing it, it's a little different than the usual "must have pure fantasy immsersion nao!" stuff on the market currently. sure some people don't like it and thats fine and maybe it can get out of hand but there should be a place for everything and everyone, i hope the devs are on the ball to stop it getting to crass.

Hey maybe they will add a non pop culture server for those looking for more immersion.

• burno111burno111 Member Posts: 3
    All of these things and more is what makes ArcheAge, The music part they added is a great little addon. Though, how it is used in the game still confuses me, but actually being able to make real life things is great! Painting can also be very cool, didn't read a whole lot on it, but still pretty cool! The swim suits don't seem to catch my attention a whole lot, But to make a totally free and have a game with endless possibilities, New and diverse things are always a plus. I can't wait to see this game in action
  • MegatronicMegatronic Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by Megatronic
    After seeing the cars and submarines, stupid clothes and "art" and finding out the game is about as "sandbox" as Pac-Man, there's no way I'll waste any more time on this title. Which is a shame, as it was one of the few in a long time I was looking forward to.

How are you wasting time on a mmo that isn't even out yet? 

Waiting for something takes time, therefore I wasted that time.

It only takes time if you have to take time out of your day to do it.  Coming to mmorpg.com and finding some sour news on an upcoming title is hardly wasting time.  Maybe if you had to wait in line to get this news.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    After seeing the cars and submarines, stupid clothes and "art" and finding out the game is about as "sandbox" as Pac-Man, there's no way I'll waste any more time on this title. Which is a shame, as it was one of the few in a long time I was looking forward to.

The devs have never promoted the game as a sandbox, you and the over excited western media did that. Jake has always said it's a themepark with sandbox elements. Thing is when the game releases in the west you will still try it while forgetting the your above comment.

It always happens.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by burno111
    All of these things and more is what makes ArcheAge, The music part they added is a great little addon. Though, how it is used in the game still confuses me, but actually being able to make real life things is great! Painting can also be very cool, didn't read a whole lot on it, but still pretty cool! The swim suits don't seem to catch my attention a whole lot, But to make a totally free and have a game with endless possibilities, New and diverse things are always a plus. I can't wait to see this game in action

Innovative New and Diverse?

Or perhaps an incoherent pastiche of the detritus from a dozen dead MMOs that went before it.

Sandbox?

Or used kitty litter tray full of strange brown crusty objects and pungent smelling damp stuff.  Scratch the surface and the odor gets stronger and things feel damper.

Oh and that coolness is from the evaporation of what ever it is that is making the tray damp.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by someforumguy
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    All the non in game world relevant stuff breaks immersion for me though, personally. Running up to someones house in a High Fantasy world and seeing a pepsi machine and Scooby Doo paintings on the wall is a little disrupting.

Maybe it is just not a high fantasy world.

At this point, i don't think even the devs know what it is. It's more like your typical "throw everything in but the kitchen sink" b-grade asian game. Perfect World did the same shit.

I also don't like the way they mix about anything. Even though I am kind of bored with the high fantasy theme, I do prefer at least a coherent theme,

My comment was more about that it was quite obvious that Arche Age is not high fantasy.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by craftseeker

Or perhaps an incoherent pastiche of the detritus from a dozen dead MMOs that went before it.

Sandbox?

Or used kitty litter tray full of strange brown crusty objects and pungent smelling damp stuff.  Scratch the surface and the odor gets stronger and things feel damper.

Oh and that coolness is from the evaporation of what ever it is that is making the tray damp.

I'll have to use the above comment on the 2/8/13 when people like you realize that Smeds idea of a "sandbox" mmo isn't what people like you drooling over EQN call a sandbox.

Oh, and i'm looking forward to EQN, played the IP for 14 years but judging from your posts Smed has already convinced you.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by craftseeker

Sandbox?

I'll have to use the above comment on the 2/8/13 when people like you realize that Smeds idea of a "sandbox" mmo isn't what people like you drooling over EQN call a sandbox.

Oh, and i'm looking forward to EQN, played the IP for 14 years but judging from your posts Smed has already convinced you.

Smed and Smokescreener have never convinced me of anything.  I have high hopes and maintain a sense of optimism but would be unsurprised at bitter disappointment come early August.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by Arakazi

The game looks like a aesthetic mess. To make it clear to those that don't seem to get it, imagine watching Game of thrones when Ned Stark is chatting to Jon Snow about honor and duty all dressed up in their medieval finery, when Jamie Lannister walks by wearing speedos and sipping from a can of coke.

Boom!  Nailed it..  That beach vid belongs in Sim:Spring Break not a fantasy MMO...  There are too many conflicting themes it appears.

How can any character on that beach wearing swim shorts, Speedo's and Bikini's slugging on a cocktail, then wander off and go get armoured up and start dealing death???  The two ideals just don't mesh !!

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

All the non in game world relevant stuff breaks immersion for me though, personally. Running up to someones house in a High Fantasy world and seeing a pepsi machine and Scooby Doo paintings on the wall is a little disrupting.
    I'm with you on that. With each "Cool!" that escaped my mouth, a "Crap!" followed shortly.

Excuse me, but you got the real world in this fantasy world.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Yep thats what turned me away from AA.
    The strange shit that they implement like cars / pepsi machines in a fantasy world -_-
    it has nothing to do with not pleasing but its a little strange when playing inside a fantasy world and you see that shit.

Immersion is what counts when playing games...
    And AA threw it all overboard for their cash shop.

Originally posted by mcrippins
    Oh short sighted friends.. For those of you posting about immersion breaking due to people's creativity - may not find the sandbox to be the best place. Sandboxes are meant to inspire creativity, allow the players to control the world, and give them the utilities to build whatever it is they choose to build. Unless you're some kind of hardcore RP'er which most of you aren't, then you really have zero room to complain. First off, you haven't even played this game. You saw a couple of screenshots or a video and instantly judged it as if you've earned the right. You haven't. Shut up. There are a billion and one games out there that do not inspire any sort of creativity and will not break your precious 'theme' (which you never cared about before until someone else mentioned it). So please just leave these games to the people that really, really want them, and don't go yelling in our forums to make changes that already exist in other, lesser, games.
    So "creativity" to you means copying things already created?

Did I NOT see a race car in the video? Did I not see bikinis and swimwear from this 20th century world? I do not need to play a game to make a judgement call from videos like these. Or are you the kind of person who touches the hot stove after your parents tell you it is hot, even though it glows red or has fire coming from it? You do realize that EVERY game maker wants EVERY game player to have your "I must try it first!" attitude? It sells more boxes that way. I do not have to buy a box to make a judgement call on how a game looks for my own personal tastes. I have saved a lot of money doing things *my* way.

You can have Arch Age. Have fun. I won't be there :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KeksXKeksX Member UncommonPosts: 47

Haha, you guys never played korean MMOs before right?

Stuff like this, where players get real life things in the game, is so common in korea... The only reason you could complain about this is that you just don't inform yourself properly. Yes WoW might not have it and LotRO doesn't have it and maybe ArcheAge EU/NA won't have it. but korean MMOs are full of that stuff because koreans love it.

So take a deep breath, go beat a wall or something because this stuff is as normal as the "amen in the church".

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Oh short sighted friends.. For those of you posting about immersion breaking due to people's creativity - may not find the sandbox to be the best place. Sandboxes are meant to inspire creativity, allow the players to control the world, and give them the utilities to build whatever it is they choose to build. 

Unless you're some kind of hardcore RP'er which most of you aren't, then you really have zero room to complain. First off, you haven't even played this game. You saw a couple of screenshots or a video and instantly judged it as if you've earned the right. You haven't. Shut up. There are a billion and one games out there that do not inspire any sort of creativity and will not break your precious 'theme' (which you never cared about before until someone else mentioned it). So please just leave these games to the people that really, really want them, and don't go yelling in our forums to make changes that already exist in other, lesser, games.

So "creativity" to you means copying things already created?

Did I NOT see a race car in the video? Did I not see bikinis and swimwear from this 20th century world? I do not need to play a game to make a judgement call from videos like these. Or are you the kind of person who touches the hot stove after your parents tell you it is hot, even though it glows red or has fire coming from it? You do realize that EVERY game maker wants EVERY game player to have your "I must try it first!" attitude? It sells more boxes that way. I do not have to buy a box to make a judgement call on how a game looks for my own personal tastes. I have saved a lot of money doing things *my* way.

You can have Arch Age. Have fun. I won't be there :)

Guilty as charged. I am absolutely one of those "I must try it first" types. I believe you learn from experience, not from imagining what it would be like. Luckily they offer beta type programs for those interested in trying before buying. Can't imagine being one of those people who sits back, reads a review, and doesn't try it simply because someone else didn't like it. Judges, Books, and Covers.

I am absolutely one of those "I must try it first" types. I believe you learn from experience, not from imagining what it would be like. Luckily they offer beta type programs for those interested in trying before buying. Can't imagine being one of those people who sits back, reads a review, and doesn't try it simply because someone else didn't like it. Judges, Books, and Covers.
    I can understand and appreciate your choice.

I don't read "a review" as you imply. I read posts from those who play the games, watch videos if my interest in the game is enough, read reviews from many sources and take all that information into my decision.

Do you automatically try every MMO released based solely on the publishers hype? Or do you do a little research before you decide to try? Why is your research (I am assuming you do research) more valid than mine?

Betas are definitely getting easier to get into than used to be, especially if a player has money.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by LlexX

Some players just can't handle the sandbox elements and the freedom...

But no worries, there are tons of WoW clones for them out there. bye.

Really? Show me these "WoW Clones" cause as far as I know there isnt 1 single game that is a clone of WoW. There are some games that share features, but then again WOW shares the features of the games that came before it. And if sharing features of a game makes it a clone the WOW is a clone of Asheron's Call, Everquest, Ultima Online and Dungeons And Dragons.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

It's sci-fi.

Eleanor Rigby.

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

you can hve a sandbox and nopt break immersion just look at swg...the import of pop culture is annoying and I hope trion can steer clean on it...besides won't copyright laws prevent a lot of that stuff from showing up in the American version

so say we all

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by SoulStain

Oh short sighted friends.. For those of you posting about immersion breaking due to people's creativity - may not find the sandbox to be the best place. Sandboxes are meant to inspire creativity, allow the players to control the world, and give them the utilities to build whatever it is they choose to build. 

Unless you're some kind of hardcore RP'er which most of you aren't, then you really have zero room to complain. First off, you haven't even played this game. You saw a couple of screenshots or a video and instantly judged it as if you've earned the right. You haven't. Shut up. There are a billion and one games out there that do not inspire any sort of creativity and will not break your precious 'theme' (which you never cared about before until someone else mentioned it). So please just leave these games to the people that really, really want them, and don't go yelling in our forums to make changes that already exist in other, lesser, games.

Many of us have seen more than a few screenshots. I myself have been following the game watching the videos , reading the forums and coverage.I was pleased that Trion received distribution rights. I like to occasionally RP  even if it is a small amount. I never considered that I'd need to have a pepsi machine in game or walk around in a bikini or shorts.( at least make them fit the theme..next they'll add retro parachute pants) among other ridiculous things that MAY be added to the western version. You tell us to shut up and not judge the game then judge us by declaring we never cared about immersion in the games theme until someone else mentioned it. I call bullshit. It's when the developers mentioned it perhaps..that is when I made a judgement...and I have every right  as does everyone else because we all are the ones that might put money into this game. I don't see how bikinis and racecars inspire creativity...you don't need that shit for RP...just a well rounded world preferably with many sandbox qualities and a decent theme.

If you're a role player in the least, then what I said does not apply to you. Being an RPer is all about immersion, and I won't try to take that away from you. Also, I'm pretty sure this game is being labeled as steam punk and not fantasy. That being said, the game you want is not a pure sandbox style game. It's a hybrid. No good ones really exist at the moment, but they will. So be patient. My problem is with the people that whine and complain, and have zero experience playing the game. Even this game is going to be a hybrid. It's not a pure sandbox.. but the tools they are giving you are better than most to inspire creativity. The more people complain about these things, the lesser the chance we'll have them. If you don't like something, move along. There are plenty of other games that will do their best not to break your immersion. If that's even possible.

Think about it. Anything can break your immersion. Someone walking into your room. Phone ringing. Facebook notification. Along with a million other things. 

this game doesnt look like steam punk to me .....

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by SoulStain

Many of us have seen more than a few screenshots. I myself have been following the game watching the videos , reading the forums and coverage.I was pleased that Trion received distribution rights. I like to occasionally RP  even if it is a small amount. I never considered that I'd need to have a pepsi machine in game or walk around in a bikini or shorts.( at least make them fit the theme..next they'll add retro parachute pants) among other ridiculous things that MAY be added to the western version. You tell us to shut up and not judge the game then judge us by declaring we never cared about immersion in the games theme until someone else mentioned it. I call bullshit. It's when the developers mentioned it perhaps..that is when I made a judgement...and I have every right  as does everyone else because we all are the ones that might put money into this game. I don't see how bikinis and racecars inspire creativity...you don't need that shit for RP...just a well rounded world preferably with many sandbox qualities and a decent theme.

If you're a role player in the least, then what I said does not apply to you. Being an RPer is all about immersion, and I won't try to take that away from you. Also, I'm pretty sure this game is being labeled as steam punk and not fantasy. That being said, the game you want is not a pure sandbox style game. It's a hybrid. No good ones really exist at the moment, but they will. So be patient. My problem is with the people that whine and complain, and have zero experience playing the game. Even this game is going to be a hybrid. It's not a pure sandbox.. but the tools they are giving you are better than most to inspire creativity. The more people complain about these things, the lesser the chance we'll have them. If you don't like something, move along. There are plenty of other games that will do their best not to break your immersion. If that's even possible.

Think about it. Anything can break your immersion. Someone walking into your room. Phone ringing. Facebook notification. Along with a million other things. 

Gotcha. Steampunk/fantasy is the vibe I get but I still don't want Bermuda shorts..lol.

• GranDuxGranDux Member Posts: 70

Ah the collective ignorance of western gaming society never ceases to amaze. The term sandbox has different features and there were decent MMOs in the past that were sandbox <before the mmo genre became 'mainstream'>. In other words supplying more tools and creativity to the users. Some out there can't handle this and rather eat their steady digestive intake of +6 WOW themepark games. Combined with limited inspiration and a lot of hand-holding features. Not only highly ill-formed, but highly uncultured right at it. Western gaming society still doesn't understand that there are other people in the world besides them playing video-games? Why does western society continue to insist of being anti-cultural instead of showing some demographic diversity? Why can't we show Korean games? Why are there always forced changes? If games were made by Russians or British, will the game be forced to "change" as well too?

With some of these comments on these forums, it's pretty obvious the gaming entertainment in the world lives in a limited box. Koreans are still the foreign aliens<and why is this>, and anything not created by the  typical westerner<description here>  is automatically assumed as "bad" or "no-good". While there are some legitimate claims such as mechanics which are universal in any game, oithers have an under-tone of the western-side ego factor of superiority complex and overall lack of diversity and culture. Because the game is Korean its "bad" and automatically must be changed to suit western audiences who are not familiar with anything outside the 4 WoW walls and concepts.  That's the entire reason why AA is being "changed" in the first place. Other Korean games have changed, and the results weren't that outstanding. At times it actually took away from the games, not 'improve' them. The idea of gaming is for enjoyment and entertainment, and that entertainment comes in different formulas and multiple outlets. Except the west has been fed a certain formula to the point that it's almost crippling. No real growth, no true expansions, just the same themes and types with a different coating as we all play our WoW clones. And dare any game go beyond these mundane rituals?

I've seen more diversity and culture at a college campus, than the amount of collective ignorance stemming from gaming society. Do we all live in caves now? There is a large segment of diversity that is poorly ill-represented and missing from gaming society. There defiantly can be more improvements for more females, more people of different races/cultures creating these games and overall showing the different types of people who play videogames than just the collective chosen 'representation' of gaming supposedly actually is. And there are, MANY people of different races and cultures, with different tastes in entertainment playing video-games.

• Squiddy54Squiddy54 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Mabinogi has been had music.  Its not new.  But I cant wait for ArcheAge.  Its gonna be like a better version of Mabinogi