Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the combat get better at 50? Yes.

Comments

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    So you have to get to 50 before the game gets good...got it.  image
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    Originally posted by free2play

Combat is boring when you grind mobs for 14 hrs a day, four days straight.

Levels won't fix that.

At what point did anyone mention grinding?

The trouble with these well crafted discussions is, the answer isn't in what people are telling you, it's what people aren't telling you.

Saying "combat is boring".

Moving is boring. All I ever do is use my WASD keys and maybe my space bar.

What is it people are looking for in video game combat? Why is it "boring"?

The first time you kill Garuda, it will be exciting. The 300th time? Not so much.

We have been having 2 day CBT's. You got to level 35 in 2 days. Tells me you are playing the ever loving shit out of the game.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    I'm glad that I enjoy the combat right out of the gate. I level so slow in these games that I could not imagine waiting until 50 for combat to get better.   
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir
    I'm glad that I enjoy the combat right out of the gate. I level so slow in these games that I could not imagine waiting until 50 for combat to get better.   

Same here.

I suck at leveling. I have yet to break 15. I'm having fun though.

Log in to multiple characters, run around, dig some ore, take a few quests, explore, get an idea how to make something, just play. I level by accident.

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291

Why is a 2.5 second global cooldown reasonable?? Actual question and serious inquiry.

One ten thousand

Two Ten thousand

Five.

2.5 seconds. It isn't really an issue. The trouble is, I think Auto Attack starts at 12 seconds or something. That's a bit foolish.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    From someone that's never played the game, 2.5 seconds seems extremely long.  Is there some other mechanic in place that players are supposed to do in that 2.5 second time frame?  SWTOR's 1.5 second gcd felt like forever and a day.  Don't most MMOs have a 0.5 gcd? 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by free2play
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

Same here.

I suck at leveling. I have yet to break 15. I'm having fun though.

Log in to multiple characters, run around, dig some ore, take a few quests, explore, get an idea how to make something, just play. I level by accident.

Well on the bright side when you hit 20, you can shift the focus from grinding levels to farming grand company seals and ranks. Makes leveling seem to go quicker.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Combat wont change at higher levels. I have no idea what they were thinking when they made the combat system in this game.
  • twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by chakalaka

Why is a 2.5 second global cooldown reasonable?? Actual question and serious inquiry.

"WoW: Hey, playa, wait 1.5 seconds."

Player: "Okay!"

FFXIV: "Would you mind waiting another second?"

Player: "WHAAAAT?!"

Now my serious response:

Why is it *not* reasonable?

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I thought the graphics and the dialog were truly outstanding.They were in sharp to the fighting animation and graphics which IMO were surprisingly poor.Talk about immersion killing..who wants to see flashes and damage numbers coming off targets in combat....and their's no way to turn the damage numbers off.
  • ChocobroChocobro Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by chakalaka

Because that's how they decided to design their combat system?? serious answer.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Teala

People are acting like this is a good thing too.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Eir_S

The wild assumption here being that the game doesn't get good until the combat gets good... way to go!

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

The wild assumption here being that the game doesn't get good until the combat gets good... way to go!

For me, it literally doesn't.  Combat is the most important thing to me in an MMO since it's what I spend 99% of the time doing usually.  So yeah, different strokes.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    i hated ffxi because i had to wait 3 hrs to form a party to kill fishes and crabs.  i dont know about you but it really kills my immersion when i have to 5vs1 a dog-sized crab. this is all i had to look forward to for a week because leveling took so fcking long and crabs and fishes were the best exp for the next 10 levels. To add insult to injury, these lame crabs were the same skin and color as the crabs and fishes i killed like 15 lvls ago. i'm VERY happy FFXIV is extremely different from FFXI.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    i hated ffxi because i had to wait 3 hrs to form a party to kill fishes and crabs.  i dont know about you but it really kills my immersion when i have to 5vs1 a dog-sized crab. this is all i had to look forward to for a week because leveling took so fcking long and crabs and fishes were the best exp for the next 10 levels. To add insult to injury, these lame crabs were the same skin and color as the crabs and fishes i killed like 15 lvls ago. i'm VERY happy FFXIV is extremely different from FFXI.

There is plenty to do besides twiddle your thumbs while waiting for a party...Farm crystals...Set up plants in your mog house...crafting...NM hunting...auctioneering.

The reuse of models was due to PS2 limitation. why would you expect that with today's tech?

And you clearly want a game you can burn through in a few weeks....

For me, it literally doesn't.  Combat is the most important thing to me in an MMO since it's what I spend 99% of the time doing usually.  So yeah, different strokes.

I don't know how many times this has to be repeated:

"The combat gets better at 50." =/= "The combat sucks until 50." It was certainly not the OP's intent to say the latter. How easy it is to jump to unwarranted conclusions.

Furthermore, if you were spending 99% of your time with combat, most of that is going to be at max level over the life of the game, no? So you're still saying that you're spending most of your time playing the game with combat when it is at its best. Yet its starting out at less than that peak is somehow a deal-breaker for you.

/boggle

• ChocobroChocobro Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by twrule

I don't know how many times this has to be repeated:

"The combat gets better at 50." =/= "The combat sucks until 50." It was certainly not the OP's intent to say the latter. How easy it is to jump to unwarranted conclusions.

Furthermore, if you were spending 99% of your time with combat, most of that is going to be at max level over the life of the game, no? So you're still saying that you're spending most of your time playing the game with combat when it is at its best. Yet its starting out at less than that peak is somehow a deal-breaker for you.

/boggle

Either people ignored the OP and just replied on the title or have horrible reading comprehension lol...  Combat gets better as you progress throughout the leveling process...  not combat sucks 1-49 and only good at 50? C'mon you guys can't be that dense.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Heaven forbid combat be fun starting at level 1 right?  Level doesn't matter, it could be level 20, 30, 40 or 50...you shouldn't have to get X levels for the primary part of the game to become "fun", sugar coat that all you want, that's poor design. 
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Shatter30
    Heaven forbid combat be fun starting at level 1 right?  Level doesn't matter, it could be level 20, 30, 40 or 50...you shouldn't have to get X levels for the primary part of the game to become "fun", sugar coat that all you want, that's poor design. 

And if the combat only gets fun at 50, then subscription shouldn't start until 50.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

The thing about 'fun' is that is based on the player's attitude as much as anything.

It's perfectly easy to have fun at level 1 in FFXIV, unless you have very narrow requirements for what can be considered fun.

If you want a combat experience complex and challenging enough to make a veteran mmo player sweat, you're unlikely to have fun at level 1 in FFXIV. If not that, what are you expecting from level 1 combat to make it 'fun'?

Combat is indeed a central part of the game, but it's far from everything (this being a game where the non-combat classes currently outnumber the combat classes, and are treated as independent classes, for example - making it arguably less combat centric than most MMOs). The world, the community, the overall charm of the game, playing with *others*, is what makes MMOs, particularly this one, fun for me, personally. I used to be perpetually disappointed with each new MMO that came out until I realized that there was a hell of a lot more to them I could be paying attention to than the button-pressing mini-games...

• dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265
    i hope they change pvp to no cool down or really low.. because fighting mobs being boring is one thing, but fighting players and it be boring... then forget about it, you lost me
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Fun is subjective. If someone who likes fps plays driving game and doesnt find it fun, is the driving game poorly designed?
    Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    great post. Im interested in FF14 arr and i think im going to be playing a black mage. when you explained the class description i thought a class like blackmage can split off in multiple paths? Also you didnt mention anything about the coolness of the skills etc. Sometimes i pick a class just for how awesome the skills are!