Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

LFG: Adventure Focused- NOT power gamed.

insaneouslyinsaneously Altmar, NYPosts: 1Member

I must be completely insane to even ask if it exists, but...

Is there a game out there that doesn't give you chores and call it a "quest?"

Being a Dungeons & Dragons DM, I love any game with roleplaying aspects, but I understand the appeal in a video game, because a classic DM vice is to want to over-complicate game mechanics to build a truly realistic system, only to find that you've created a monster of a game that no one has the time to memorize or do the math on. Computers take care of that- so why has no one came out with a game that makes the story the priority, while making combat easy, exciting, and completely balanced?

I'm looking for a quest system that really sends you off on a quest.  I don't want to start up a brand new game and find out, for the hundred and first time, that MMORPG designers apparently don't have the creativity to open the game with something other than a kill "quest" or item collection "quest." Not only that, they make the story completely irrelevant to playing the game, so they hire a team to write these story lines that maybe one geek will sit down and take the time to read, while all the power gamers zip through to level 10 in the hour he spent reading. Ideally, I want something that opens with a short cut-scene that summarizes the circumstances of the area they're dropping you in, and ends with giving you some problem to solve, or by calling off some of your options- just like a DM opens a session of D&D.

I consider a quest a long term endeavor. Bilbo Baggins went on a quest with twelve dwarves to reclaim Erebor. Luke Skywalker went on a quest to defeat the Galactic Empire. Harry Potter vs. Voldemort, Eragon and Galbatorix, etc. They didn't complete their quest in ten minutes and get a meager reward and get peddled off to some other lifeless NPC to complete some mediocre task for. 

So I'm supposing you're about to say that nobody can keep their interest for that long. There are ways to remedy that. Take a game of D&D. Some of the shortest adventures might come in three parts, each of which you do in about... 6 hours. That's without computers, of course, and combat is turn based, and it's full of debates on what your group wants to do next. Strictly getting through without stopping probably takes about a third of that time. 

To be specific, I'd be ecstatic to have that cut scene say something to the effect of "You are in a city. The ruler is a completely d-bag, everyone is corrupt, and the people hate life because everything costs too much, gangs are causing anarchy and the authorities don't give a damn."

And then based on your character creation choices, you'll be given certain information from there. For example:

"You know that two major gangs exist in this city, the <blank>, who are known to have political connections and make more money than the <ruler> himself, and the <blank>, who contradict your expectations of normal gangs. This gang serves as more of a band of vigilantes and protectors who, while seeking profits and power, represent hope for a better <city name here>."

Etc. Keep it short, keep it plain, and, best of all, since this is a computer game, include OPTIONS!

As well as the two factions noted above, in that story, you might want to include a few political factions, some churches of various deities, schools of magic, guilds of merchants and workers, independent parties such as weird scientists or wealthy land owners. Since you can't keep a cut-scene going all day, just point the players to the well-informed NPC's, give them options to ask questions with actually valuable answers.

Give the players a circumstance, and let them decide their quest based on the events that take place, and make their interactions count for changing those circumstances, you know?

Comments