Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bazaar of the Four Winds

ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

I just stepped in to this magnificent place today as I had no time last night.

I have no words to describe the brilliancy of this place, I didnt play GW1 enought to know the names but this place certainly has a familiar vibe to few places in there.

I also havent felt this much joy in exploring an area for a long time, I was nearly in tears when I saw the floating city.

It. Is. Magnificent.

If you have account and havent played for a while, now is the time to log back in to check out whats new.

Comments

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Arrggg!!! another awful jump quest  type update...enough already!

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    I feel bad for you who cant get any enjoyment out of jumping puzzles.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I am also sick of this jumping business. All we get it seems is jumping exercises with not enough challenging combat oriented content.

The achievements yet again feel like a chore to do. The only reason I might even consider doing them is because they are limited and to get some achievement points. But unfortunately none of this "living world" content is fun for me. It feels like a list of super ultra mundane things to do which really give you nothing but yet another cosmetic back piece. 

The new achievement UI and rewards are great though. I love the idea. The mini game is not entirely bad. Haven't tried the new permanent activity as I can't seem to find the trainers even though the game marks them on the map.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by ichihaifu

I just stepped in to this magnificent place today as I had no time last night.

I have no words to describe the brilliancy of this place, I didnt play GW1 enought to know the names but this place certainly has a familiar vibe to few places in there.

I also havent felt this much joy in exploring an area for a long time, I was nearly in tears when I saw the floating city.

It. Is. Magnificent.

If you have account and havent played for a while, now is the time to log back in to check out whats new.

Any context to what of the content you actually liked.  Sure it's good to have a positive thread once in a while, but there needs to be a general reason instead of "I just love the new patched content!"

I too love the new content.  Can't get enough of if and will be completely sad when it's gone.  This is because I'm a Jumping Puzzle aficionado.   But, it's more than Jumping Puzzles that have me enticed to repeating this content as much as possible while it's still around.

Artifact vendors are not your friend.  Oh sure, they act nice and say "come look at at my wares" with a half-crooked smile.  Then I decided to read a smoldering, glowing book that one of the vendors was fawning over, she asks me to just put it down.  There was several different ways to read it to:  Quietly, Aloud,  Backwards quietly, and Backwards Aloud.  I choose the last one, which apparently was a Curse that then summoned a Champion Fire Imp  (and also had the vendor make a very sarcastic remark about touching a book she asked not to).  All the other Tyrian heroes in the area quickly swarmed on the imp, to impede it's rampage of the market place.

That was just one experience I had within the Labyrinthine Cliffs while exploring it with guild members.

Sanctum Sprint is awesome!   They seriously need to make a Tyrian Olympics with all these unique mini-games that keep coming into the main game.  Basically a magical jumping puzzle race using Aspects while tripping up your enemies -with poisons, lightning, wind, and other traps-  in the most fashionable way possible.   It's Mario Cart  meets Guild Wars 2 in one of the best mini-games to date.  And...the map changes key pieces randomly each time (three sections change up their travel pattern, shortcut, and Aspect type needed).

Also, with this new scavenger hunt for Kites, there's never been more players doing the mini-dungeons and Jumping Puzzles as there have been now.  Sure, there's more than half that just cheats by having that one Mesmer that did make it just port them all up.  Forsaken Halls was just far better going in with 20-30+ people with a stream of torches in the darkness.

The Bottom Line: This content is just another strong, fun contended in an effort to 1Up other previous content patches before it.   It's fun. It's enjoyable.  It plays to GW2's strengths.  And I LOVE IT!.

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    What rewards do you get out of it? There's no rewards worth getting at all.  And the joy of "doing a new JP" isn't a reward in itself.  The whole thing is a pointless waste of time.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by FuryV
    What rewards do you get out of it? There's no rewards worth getting at all.  And the joy of "doing a new JP" isn't a reward in itself.  The whole thing is a pointless waste of time.

As is playing video games in general anyway...

No, the point of playing video games is to have fun and pass the time. Some people like meaningful goals in their computer games - because it will help with the fun part.

If you're saying playing games is always a waste of time - and as such, anything you do in a game goes, because it's a waste either way - that means that every game in the world is exactly the same fun, because they're just a waste of time.

But you're not saying that, because that would make you a silly person.

Oh....you mean rewards like the Random Rare from completing 15 Sanctum Sprints?  How about the Aspect back pieces that drop from the chest at the end?   No?  Okay, how about the Zephrum (sp?) head piece skins that are from the Kite fortunes?  Not enough?  Okay, maybe you're a "grinder" type:  How about grinding the world for 18 gold just to purchase the Quaggan mini-pack from the Gem Store?

It's your opinion that the rewards aren't worth it.  It's my opinion that they are.  Opinions are like sphincters, everyone has one.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by DKLond

If you're saying playing games is always a waste of time - and as such, anything you do in a game goes, because it's a waste either way - that means that every game in the world is exactly the same fun, because they're just a waste of time.

"Meaningful" is extremely subjective, what one likes another dislikes.

Waste of time might be a wrong way of saying it but it does the same as other forms of entertainment. This is a perception, glass half empty/half full type of thing with a social/moral debate that I am not willing to start.  lol

Every game does the same to the ones playing it, it can't be the same 'fun' as not everyone likes the same thing. 

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

As is playing video games in general anyway...

No, the point of playing video games is to have fun and pass the time...

So what you're saying is, Mission Accomplished.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Aye, nicely said, thanks for clearing up my post in that aspect.

Point is...

I just finished to collect all the crystals needed and I got my miniature. Who are you (DKLond) to say it's less meaningful than e.g. getting some purple item in WoW? And don't come with the "it's easy" argument, people who did it can tell you it's quite a challenge, even if a different one from killing some scripted monster.

It's just as meaningless in the grand scheme of things, aka "real world", but in game, it's just as meaningful, it depends on likes and dislikes as whisperwynd said. Both the purple raid irem and the miniature are virual, non existent outside of the game, same stuff, just pixels. Yeah, flash news, all you get from MMORPGs is pixels.

Point made, back to the topic for me, no more posts about this.

Well, I hadn't read your post until after posting mine so please don't infer I was attempting to clarify yours, by any means. image

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Originally posted by Siphaed

Oh....you mean rewards like the Random Rare from completing 15 Sanctum Sprints?  How about the Aspect back pieces that drop from the chest at the end?   No?  Okay, how about the Zephrum (sp?) head piece skins that are from the Kite fortunes?  Not enough?  Okay, maybe you're a "grinder" type:  How about grinding the world for 18 gold just to purchase the Quaggan mini-pack from the Gem Store?

It's your opinion that the rewards aren't worth it.  It's my opinion that they are.  Opinions are like sphincters, everyone has one.

Lots of stuff to get with this patch. Got my new helm and back piece yesterday. Not to mention that they introduced a new resource that can be mined in your home zone. Oh, and achievement awards with unique skins are pretty cool too. Only issue I have is the Bizarre is temp content, although i think it will be like the holiday stuff, on a yearly rotation. Plenty of stuff in this patch.

The problem some people have is they cant get over the idea that "upgrades" are cosmetic and not stat oriented. Its a shift in mind set and if you cant make that shift you wont understand GW2.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I popped back in and looked at the patch. i didn't get far into it though. I'll probably spend more tim in it this weekend. I have to agree with some here. There is far too much emphasis on jumping puzzles. I am not opposed to them being in the game. But this is an MMORPG not Super Mario Land. I want new content to reflect why I play MMORPGS and not platform jumpers on a console. 

No, the point of playing video games is to have fun and pass the time.

See, you got my point... almost.

Some people like meaningful goals in their computer games - because it will help with the fun part.

What's a meaningful goal? Beating the content has always be the main goal of any MMORPG. Raiding, PvP, PvE, a jumping puzzle, hell, even leveling, all this is about beating the content.

And yes, playing game, per se, is a waste of time, it produces nothing. When you sit there are your keyboard killing virtual monsters and getting virtual trinkets, the only thing you do is use some electricity for a totally optional leisure activity. Everything is virtual, it doesn't exist.

Not saying it's bad to enjoy games, just as movies, TV, books, etc... mind you, just saying things as they are. I know it may hurt some here who may take games a bit too seriously.

A meaningful goal is one that you consider meaningful.

People don't find the same things meaningful, necessarily - which is what you're not getting.

You don't have to produce something for it to be meaningful. Having sex doesn't necessarily produce anything - so it's a waste of time? That's stupid.

No, you're not saying things as they are. You're claiming that playing games is a waste of time - and while they may be so to you - that's not necessarily the case for everyone.

I don't know why it would hurt anyone that you're wasting so much of your time playing games - but I don't really mind. It's your choice.

Originally posted by whisperwynd

"Meaningful" is extremely subjective, what one likes another dislikes.

Waste of time might be a wrong way of saying it but it does the same as other forms of entertainment. This is a perception, glass half empty/half full type of thing with a social/moral debate that I am not willing to start.  lol

Every game does the same to the ones playing it, it can't be the same 'fun' as not everyone likes the same thing. 

Aye, nicely said, thanks for clearing up my post in that aspect.

Point is...

I just finished to collect all the crystals needed and I got my miniature. Who are you (DKLond) to say it's less meaningful than e.g. getting some purple item in WoW? And don't come with the "it's easy" argument, people who did it can tell you it's quite a challenge, even if a different one from killing some scripted monster.

It's just as meaningless in the grand scheme of things, aka "real world", but in game, it's just as meaningful, it depends on likes and dislikes as whisperwynd said. Both the purple raid irem and the miniature are virual, non existent outside of the game, same stuff, just pixels. Yeah, flash news, all you get from MMORPGs is pixels.

Point made, back to the topic for me, no more posts about this.

I don't know what you're talking about.

I haven't said GW2 is meaningless to you.

It's just meaningless to the people who consider it meaningless. That's a very simple concept, isn't it?

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

Not a huge fan of jumping puzzles myself, but the new content is pretty decent. Rather annoyed that you can only make 1 charged crystal a day/account. The new crafted item's seem rather meh stat's accross the board imo aren't really that worth it. The achievement rewards are a nice bonus, extra incentive to do more random stuff like finishing slayer deeds. All in all i'd say this is a decent living story.

The new zone is amazing, unless your afraid of hight's.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I popped back in and looked at the patch. i didn't get far into it though. I'll probably spend more tim in it this weekend. I have to agree with some here. There is far too much emphasis on jumping puzzles. I am not opposed to them being in the game. But this is an MMORPG not Super Mario Land. I want new content to reflect why I play MMORPGS and not platform jumpers on a console. 

Because, if you came to GW2 expecting to play the same as other MMORPG's, for it to be a clone as other MMORPG's, then YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Fun facts:

• When we decided to make Guild Wars 2, we wanted to make something unique and different; we didn’t want to make the same MMO you’ve been playing for all these years. As a live game, we want to continue to build on that goal, to take the core concepts that inspired GW2 from the start and see if we can push the boundaries and explore even further what they can mean in the MMO space.

Is Guild Wars 2 MASSIVE?  -yes.

Is Guild Wars 2 MULTIPLAYER? -yes.

Is Guild Wars 2 ONLINE? -duh.

Is Guild Wars 2 a ROLE PLAYING GAME?  -yes.

So, it is an MMORPG?  -yes.

Is it a mutant-clone of WoW, Rift, FFXIV, EQII, Vanguard, AoC, and the dozens of other like-minded games out there? -NO!

Well, there you go.  Enjoy what it is and will always be.  If you can't, MOVE ON AND PLAY SOMETHING ELSE!~

Because, if you came to GW2 expecting to play the same as other MMORPG's, for it to be a clone as other MMORPG's, then YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Fun facts:

• When we decided to make Guild Wars 2, we wanted to make something unique and different; we didn’t want to make the same MMO you’ve been playing for all these years. As a live game, we want to continue to build on that goal, to take the core concepts that inspired GW2 from the start and see if we can push the boundaries and explore even further what they can mean in the MMO space.

Is Guild Wars 2 MASSIVE?  -yes.

Is Guild Wars 2 MULTIPLAYER? -yes.

Is Guild Wars 2 ONLINE? -duh.

Is Guild Wars 2 a ROLE PLAYING GAME?  -yes.

So, it is an MMORPG?  -yes.

Is it a mutant-clone of WoW, Rift, FFXIV, EQII, Vanguard, AoC, and the dozens of other like-minded games out there? -NO!

Well, there you go.  Enjoy what it is and will always be.  If you can't, MOVE ON AND PLAY SOMETHING ELSE!~

I have to ask....

Why is it that some of you always do that?

When ever someone criticizes GW2 in some way, the fall back answer is 

"Because it's not a WoW clone, go play WoW"

Knowing full well that you are taking the previous post totally out of context.

Where did I ever imply I wanted to see WoW like features? Or do you think that's not possible outside of Jumping Puzzles?

POST EDIT:

Does a Jumping Puzzle have to be Massivley?  No

Does GW2 have to be Massively? Yes

Does a Jumping Puzzle have to be Multi-player?  No

Does GW2 have to be Multi-player? Yes

Does a Jumping Puzzle have to be Online? No

Does GW2 have to be Online? Yes

Is a Jumping Puzzle an RPG?  No

Does GW2 have to be an RPG? Yes

So you see, GW2 has to be defined by those features to be considered an MMORPG, but it does not require Jumping Puzzles to meet it.

Jumping puzzles are but a unique flavor added to GW2, but when a single flavor becomes overpowering, it can spoil the whole dish.

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    Probably the second best living story so far, Mad King event being the first. I just love the new area's aesthetics, jumping puzzles and NPCs.
  • ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by FuryVgold just to purchase the Quaggan mini-pack from the Gem Store?

Actually, I was born sphicterless and I'm a bit touchy about it and don't need to be reminded that i can't poop.

Sorry, trying to lighten the mood. It got combative kinda quickly.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Pardon this guy, he has to vent.

FuryV there are lots of games out there where you can find worthwhile rewards for you efforts. Leave us to our game please. We like it here.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by ichihaifu
    I feel bad for you who cant get any enjoyment out of jumping puzzles.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I'm enjoying the content in this patch. I'm not a fan of JPs, but I don't hate them either. I actually much prefer this iteration, with the aspect powers rather than pure jumping ability, most of it is a bit less about manual dexterity and a bit more about puzzling out what to use where.

There are things that I don't like. Why the level 80 requirement to learn most of the new Recipes? GW2 crafting has always been based only on crafting level for making items, not character level. Annoying. Why are the new craftables account bound? Also, since they are account bound and not a source of profit, why the limit one charging one crystal per day?

I also hate that they made doing a WvW Jumping Puzzle part of the main JP achievement for this event. I like WvW, I tolerate JPs, but I'm with most people in my hatred for WvW jumping puzzles! First off, when I'm out helping the war effort, nothing ticks me off more than to know that valuable player slots for my faction in a WvW zone are being taken up bu people doing JPs. Second, WvW JPs are griefing by design and have no place in a game that strives to be grief free. WvW JPs shouldn't be in the game and they should never, ever, ever be a requirement for a Living Story achievement!

Even though I personally love the flavor and setting for this LS event, I am annoyed at more temporary content, the lack of PvE content and the lack of actual Story in something called Living Story. So, my enjoyment of the event is tempered by the greater failure of the Living Story concept in general.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

My only addition to this post is. The jumping puzzles ALL of it is easy in this content. It's more about knowing where to jump. Rather then it actually being any kind of hard. The puzzles in the past were way harder then this. I just think it's entertaining like all things cheesey.

It should go bye bye in two weeks the laughter will wear off fast. The race is nothing but human Mario Kart. Now if you can't enjoy that? You must of never had a Snes or Genesis. And are were robbed of a great time in gaming. And hell Dulfy did this so even if you sucked at this. She practically handed you all the info any way.