Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Firefall: Open Beta is a Go

Comments

• skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 357
    This game would be decent if they weren't trying to run it on a 28.8k modem in the basement. Nothing works because you can't interact with anything in the game. The npc's don't work. the crafting doesn't work, you can't even unlock any of your weapons or repair your gear. Totally unplayable. The fact that are trying to hide behind the word "beta" as they sell 100$ "starter packs" pretty much tells you this is just another financially strapped studio trying to get away with putting out an unfinished game on the cheap. This isn't even worth playing for free until they do some massive server upgrades or something. I guess the bright side is that so many people will quit the first time they try it then maybe the server load will be low enough to allow you to do something in the game. 
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I have been testing this game for a while now and the open beta release is ten times worse than the alpha or closed beta ever was.  There main problem seems to be their servers can't handle the stress.  At this point there are problems accessing inventory, upgrading your battlesuit, and crafting because they can't connect.  You even get the 503 error code which mean server is unavailible.  Really hope they can upgrade or fix the connection issues, all around the game is not bad a good game for relaxing if you don't want to play one of the hardcore mmo's at the time.
  • DkuangDkuang Member UncommonPosts: 37

I contributed $100 to Red5 Studios for their founders packs since I felt they had a good business model for their F2P game and at the time the game seemed to have a bit of potential. Now though, even after their "Miracle Patch" I'm very much inclined not to play the game anymore.

Firstly, content...not much of it, even with world events happening etc, they just don't seem to be "exciting" or even worth doing honestly. Gear and differentiating yourself from the next guy with the same battleframe...meh at best. They couldn't give us more skins for weapons, armor parts, etc either? As far as movement and getting around, sure you can sprint forever as their isn't a stam bar, but sometimes jet pack jumping over mountains and hills cant happen, simply because their controls are a bit herky jerky, invisible walls, or just because I dont know.

As for crafting over haul, I'm up in the air about it. I still feel crafting is only mediocre at best and they honestly need to guide new players a hell of a lot more in everything the game offers imo and lack of direction in the game is also meh. I don't know, the game still needs a lot of polish to get out of "open beta" or in my eyes, its just "Beta".

You reap what you sow.

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236
    Played this at PAX like 3 years ago...and it's going to open beta just now? O.o
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I wasn't impressed with the game, I might return to check it out in 6 months if another mmo has not cough my eye by then.
  • Ward123Ward123 Member CommonPosts: 1
    I love that people complain about not know where to go. This lack of rails is what makes me like this game. They give you a brief tutorial then send you on your way. I enjoy havin to discover and experiment with things to see what works.
    For all the people who are lookin for a game that will hold your hand and tell you exactly what to do, where to do it, and when, there's a game called World of Warcraft, it's been around a while but is just what your looking for ;-)
  • ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

Was about to pass this game up after playing it for 15-30 min, but ended up getting helped by a really nice community member. He grouped up with me, told me about the game, took me to several locations and answered practically my every question.

After that, I found the game very fun. That said, it Shouldn't be needed, but unfortunately it was.

• yakovenoyakoveno Member Posts: 1

the idea of the game is great but i find my self like 15min in looking for charecter window, when it got only the inventory how i use my new items realy bad. 

than the qwest were is the qwest log or jurnal some fing of my goals realy bad.

end the time all operations take so long open trade window log in time end huge bugs bad.

i can keep play difeaince its much more better than this game 

oo yeah no skip tutorial thats great YEA 
  • BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296
    Originally posted by Dkuang

I contributed $100 to Red5 Studios for their founders packs since I felt they had a good business model for their F2P game and at the time the game seemed to have a bit of potential. Now though, even after their "Miracle Patch" I'm very much inclined not to play the game anymore.

Firstly, content...not much of it, even with world events happening etc, they just don't seem to be "exciting" or even worth doing honestly. Gear and differentiating yourself from the next guy with the same battleframe...meh at best. They couldn't give us more skins for weapons, armor parts, etc either? As far as movement and getting around, sure you can sprint forever as their isn't a stam bar, but sometimes jet pack jumping over mountains and hills cant happen, simply because their controls are a bit herky jerky, invisible walls, or just because I dont know.

As for crafting over haul, I'm up in the air about it. I still feel crafting is only mediocre at best and they honestly need to guide new players a hell of a lot more in everything the game offers imo and lack of direction in the game is also meh. I don't know, the game still needs a lot of polish to get out of "open beta" or in my eyes, its just "Beta".

I am in the same boat as you,  Only I feel a little different.  Have you tried your Bike?  That's a lot of fun for movement and transport,  also gliders and glider pads. 

My issue with the content is just that there really isn't any real end game or purpose to fight for.  They really need to add open world PvP and some kind of player control to the world.  Clan controlled bases, fortresses,  Open world PvP,  Seiges,  etc. 

Tabula Rasa was going in that direction before it shut down,  clans could take over and hold bases,  bases would attack players you were at war with.  Then some kind of Overall Bragging rights system needs to be implemented.  User profile with KDR, pvp stats, etc.  They are trying to make this an e-sports game but they are lacking the essentials.  O and where is the epic world events where a giant alien comes down over the town and you can strap into a turret.?

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by atuerstar

As Bill has said -

WATCH THE TUTORIALS!

Its only fifteen minutes of your time and it really helps you to understand the game in ways that will benefit you as you become more involved. They really have pulled their ideas together into a neat bundle of fun. If you dont have that kind of time to spend learning about this sandbox then you probably dont really have time for any games atr all. Red 5 have definitely brought their game forward enough that its your loss not being involved.

Happily uninstalling Defiance, thanks Red 5.

+1

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by RelGn
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    Tried it out yesterday and quit after about 15 mins. Its not really clear what youre supposed to do or allowed to do in the game. Noobs need some direction and purpose, or at least steering into a group people to get an idea of what the point of the game is.

This game is not for the new generation gamers aka carebears

find another game

Go play WOW. Im a old generation gamer AKA EVE.

Originally posted by Battlerock
    ^^ oh brother!!! Anytime I see "generation this" "generation that" I have to roll my eyes. Yes his comment is very carebearish but dont blaim an entire generation. There is this connotation in the work world that baby boomers are workaholics. Thats false! In fact baby boomers are mostly silverspoon fed from the greatest generation. The ones that put alot of time in work and claim to be workaholics mostly putz around all day and get done in 60 hours what someone that actually puts in an honest 40 does. Dont bring generational stereo types in, if hd found it confusing then so be it.

You guys are really good at making as ass out of u and me. Its confusing because its poorly designed. There isn't any game in the game.

• Stormfire962Stormfire962 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Tried it out yesterday and quit after about 15 mins. Its not really clear what youre supposed to do or allowed to do in the game. Noobs need some direction and purpose, or at least steering into a group people to get an idea of what the point of the game is.

Firefall is really not that hard to figure out.  Basically you go around shooting stuff in PVE like creatures to earn XP and resources which go toward leveling up and creating new equipment.  Or you can mine with a device called a thumper.  Or you can do events.  Or play PVP.  There is a lot to do in the game and it does not take a high education to figure it out.  Ask in game players for help and they will be glad to answer.  Learn by watching others and checkout websites about the game.

Originally posted by Ward123
    I love that people complain about not know where to go. This lack of rails is what makes me like this game. They give you a brief tutorial then send you on your way. I enjoy havin to discover and experiment with things to see what works.
    For all the people who are lookin for a game that will hold your hand and tell you exactly what to do, where to do it, and when, there's a game called World of Warcraft, it's been around a while but is just what your looking for ;-)

Its not about rails. Its about purpose. They start you off with an exciting video, and a nice how to play tutorial, which gives you some expectation youll be doing something exciting. They they drop you off on a planet to just go wander around. If they want it to be a sandbox, then remove the plot, give me something to fight over and leave me alone. If they want there to be a story and an adventure then give me something to pursue to help the good guys defeat the bad guys.

Originally posted by Stormfire962

Firefall is really not that hard to figure out.  Basically you go around shooting stuff in PVE like creatures to earn XP and resources which go toward leveling up and creating new equipment.  Or you can mine with a device called a thumper.  Or you can do events.  Or play PVP.  There is a lot to do in the game and it does not take a high education to figure it out.  Ask in game players for help and they will be glad to answer.  Learn by watching others and checkout websites about the game.

You just confirmed what I said. Theres no purpose to anything.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

I logged back in thinking that Open Beta was going to be an updated experience and it wasn't. It's clear Red5 and the CEO don't care about how the game is perceived once released for public consumption. Its quite delusional. I honestly feel bad for the people working on the game because from what is seen they're doing a great job and are capable of more great things if they have time and direction.

Firefall consists of 1 small zone with a limited amount of things to do. By limited I mean you will find starter zones in other games with twice the amount of activities and real estate. From this small zone you can warp to 3 even smaller areas (1/3 the size of starting zone) with literally nothing to do but look around or play an RNG game (that needs 8-10 ppl to clear) to get a key that allows you access to a 5 player instance.  All Red5 has currently done is take this piss poor unfinished miniscule offering and put an absorbent grind fest/time sink around it hoping people won't notice there is no literally NO game yet.

They went to Open Beta to grab money. Period. July 9th before stress testing the servers, before figuring out why their chat server keeps crashing, before resolving connection issues to God damn near every single UI menu they put up a $20 and $100 "starter package".

Everytime a new person has a complaint or question about "why isn't this there" "why is there so little to do" they're either hit with "it's a beta" or "we're doing that soon". Or they're directed to some stupid tutorials (that should be in game btw). The tutorials aren't going to make content materialize out of thin air or fix all the shit that's wrong. Taking time, and including content before going public does.

This is one of the most deplorably irresponsible desperate Open Beta launches I've ever experienced for a game that could be pretty decent. Yet I will get written off as a "hater" or a "troll".

Don't avoid Firefall. Download it, try it out and I PROMISE, you will feel like you're Bill Murray in Groundhog Day by the time you get 24-32 hours logged into the game.  The only thing that will keep you going is the curiosity to see the other areas you can get to.  When you do, you'll want your time back.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

So far so good for me.

I needed something to take me away from Planetside 2 while I wait for Wildstar.

This just might do the trick, I hope!

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    This review in progress is going to be a rough one if they don't get some patches out fast.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• DkuangDkuang Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by BelegStrongbow
    Originally posted by Dkuang

I am in the same boat as you,  Only I feel a little different.  Have you tried your Bike?  That's a lot of fun for movement and transport,  also gliders and glider pads. 

My issue with the content is just that there really isn't any real end game or purpose to fight for.  They really need to add open world PvP and some kind of player control to the world.  Clan controlled bases, fortresses,  Open world PvP,  Seiges,  etc. 

Tabula Rasa was going in that direction before it shut down,  clans could take over and hold bases,  bases would attack players you were at war with.  Then some kind of Overall Bragging rights system needs to be implemented.  User profile with KDR, pvp stats, etc.  They are trying to make this an e-sports game but they are lacking the essentials.  O and where is the epic world events where a giant alien comes down over the town and you can strap into a turret.?

Trust me man, I played the game for a solid 3-4 months last year around the spring, then just flat out stopped playing because there was literally NOTHING to do. Thumping was pointless, crafting was easily taken care off (be it was a lot more simple and stream lined than the current version, but both still didn't fill the whole different gear, different looks field). I like the Glider changes for sure, I'm not accidentally dropping to my death anymore. As far as my Locus Chopper, well its awesome but the controls on it and the dismount is like the rest of the controls, herky jerky at times.

When they sent out those surveys as to why you don't log on and what would you like to see in the game, changes, etc (FEEDBACK basically). I always said there was nothing to do, crafting needed major help, more itemization in gear/parts to make you not look like the next guy who's also a Biotech, and the next biotech outside of just the limited array of colors for your battleframe.

As far as those praising them for the lack of "direction" because it opens up the world to you...seriously?! Are we playing the same game? What world? The small piece of dirt they call open world sandbox mmo? Please, I've played Ultima Online, that game had no tutorial or direction but in a sense you had the resources and ability to dictate how you shaped your character and persona. However, in Firefall you aren't given many options or resources to do that. You're forced to thump, to just run around shooting random junk for well..more junk to do more junk? Makes sense? No? Because it surely doesn't make sense to me and a lot of others I suppose.

Red5 needs to content patch Firefall like a mother eeffer, patch in a hell of a lot more npc mobs, events, resources, gear mods, battle frame mods, weapon mods, skins, quests, better crafting, more reason for people to shoot this and go their too basically. Also, one of my gripes too was the ridiculous ease of ammo and the ridiculous limit of how much ammo we could carry. Just feels like we're running around spamming shots all over the place, not caring about hitting or missing. :( Long, I know, but jeez the game could of been soooo much better with sooo much potential..and this...this is what they came up with at the end of the day and slapped "OPEN BETA" on it. God help us all if this is how the gaming market is turning into with its developers and customers.

You reap what you sow.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Really?  I found the tutorial for events, unlocking SIN locations, and all of that pretty handy.  Plus there's the main story and daily achievements.  The main thing I think needs more explanation is crafting.

I tend to agree with you, Bill. Compared to Closed Beta, this is like a dream. The tutorial was great and all, but my biggest complaint about this initial tutorial was the tutorial itself. Previously it was like immediately, "This is a Thumper and oh, btw, here some action." Now it's like, "Unlock a SIN point...... 1/12 unlocked, Unlock another SIN point......." and the points aren't even very close, so the act of unlocking all SIN points might take you an hour. TBH, I quit after about 4 SIN points because I was tired. The game is still great, but there is a definite bore factor that Firefall will need to address quickly if they want to engage people and keep them moving through the content. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

The point of the game, is much like many "sand box" games... Its what ever you decide to do, at a given time.  You can do the various missions, you can do the events that pop up. You can gather resources for crafting (thumping),  you can craft. You can explore.  You can patrol areas for the Chosen strike teams and pods that show up.  You can take back out post towers that have fallen to the Chosen, you can defend towers from Chosen strike teams. 

Just about anything you decide to do, will gain you resources, experience and crystite (in game currency).  These can be used to advance your current battleframe and equip it with better gear.

As the game advances there will be more missions, more events and I'm told more battleframes.  There will also be more of a sense of a world in conflict,as the Chosen Warfront kicks off.  Many interesting things are coming in the future. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • naZchoconaZchoco Member Posts: 82

Nothing too innovative. 

That being said - I'm enjoying myself. It's difficult, and that is a huge change in an MMO - (back to the roots at least). I can't do many missions on my own unless I craft a lot of med-packs, use walls as coverage, and single pull. It's super frustrating but it's allowing me to remember why I started playing MMOs back in 99'.

The crafting is a bit difficult in terms of learning curve. I'm just experimenting for right now, and I'm not using beans and it's going just fine. The only problem is there is literally no direction on crafting - here are a bunch of mats, go thump, crafting vendors, and here is a crafting machine. That being said again - I'm enjoying myself not knowing what to do for the first time in a while on an MMO.

I haven't encountered many bugs yet. Extreme lag. But who is going to whine about lag during a beta? Do any of us remember WoW launch? WoW beta? Did that matter to 15 million +? Lol.

It has a lot of potential as a themepark/FPS hybrid. Nothing more though. Not something I'll sit and play for 5 years straight. And I don't see the foundation well enough to build something that I could do that with.

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

There's no real purpose to doing anything in the game. You kill for the sake of killing, craft for the sake of crafting, and harvest resources for the sake of harvesting and crafting. There's little to no overarching storyline, the starting area is comparatively tiny, and there's just no proper motivation to DO anything. Even EVE Online, vast and open-ended as it is, provides more motivation to create / pursue goals than Firefall.

Had it entered OB a couple years back, I'd have probably been more forgiving. But Red5 wasted far too much time & money on the game, and it's quite obvious they're grabbing for all the cash they can get.

Oh, and they're still having latency / connection issues identical to those they were having over TWO YEARS AGO. Seriously? Two years isn't enough to get this fixed?

Gotta agree with FlyByKnight; this game may have had potential at one point in time, but that time has since passed, and I can very nearly guarantee with 100% certainty that it won't be around for more than a year or two.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

the game has def improved from first time it was released. the game is alot more fun now and feels like an actual mmo. what i'm afraid of is the endgame content they have to offer. atm my goal is to farm me enough crystite to get me an lgv. but what happens after that? sure i could play the market system and craft me loads of armor and make some money out of it or finish the story line. but what happens after that.? the game over all starts you off running dynamic events all the way from beginning to end. i think sandbox features to build for open world pvp would fall nice into the whole environment of firefall.

building and upgrading your own base. having side defenses like turrets, cannons and nukes to attack opposing player based enemies. not to mention if they add a dynamic pvp event where chosens also attacks you at the same time while players do, it would make it really fun defending. you would really need an alliance system to pull off a full scale attack. anyways i love the pve aspect of firefall but it does get borring and people do burn through content alot faster then devs can develop them. so ya i hope they add sandbox features to the game and also hopefully allow you to create flying vehicles. i wouldn't mind having my own garage where i see all my vehicles are and custom work with them.

• Stormfire962Stormfire962 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by Stormfire962

You just confirmed what I said. Theres no purpose to anything.

If feel there is no purpose then this not the game for you.  Maybe you try Planetside2.