Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Top Five Jobs to Add to FFXIV: A Realm Reborn

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn will launch with numerous Jobs iconic to the Final Fantasy series, but there are still quite a few left unrepresented. In this week's column, we offer up a couple of Job picks to add post-launch. Read on and share your own shortlist with us in the comments!

A Realm Reborn is missing the “Thief” Class, so this would be needed first. Thieves and Ninjas are some of the most iconic roles in Final Fantasy history. Characters such as Locke Cole and Shadow from Final Fantasy VI are beloved by many fans of the series. These two roles also had great representation within Final Fantasy Tactics. Between Thief and Ninja, A Realm Reborn is sorely lacking that ‘Rogue’ trope for which many players are attached to. Backstabbing, stealing, and even throwing items would be great fun in ARR.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Top Five Jobs to Add to FFXIV: A Realm Reborn.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Ugh, no more rogue classes. It's quite refreshing to see a game that doesn't rely on a cliche characters that anyone under the age of 16 idolizes. Put on some big boy pants and be a team player.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Isn't the Red Mage kind of a combo/mix between White and Black mages?

That's my vote.

I'm a big fan of more hybrid characters.

I'm also a big fan of a Soldier type job.

The Warrior is always kind of a "rage filled bezerker" type, same is true in FFXIV.

Paladin is always the Holy warrior - mix of "light" magic kind of stuff blah blah.

I like a non-magical, non-zerker Knight/Soldier archetype.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Calculator would be cool to see.
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Red Mage would definitely be a plus, but I think that is more of a combo between White, Black, and Gladiator.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • beej1986beej1986 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    I would love to see dark knight as its played out in FFT, more with sword magic rather then black magic tagged on. Though I don't see Dark Knight as a counterpart to Paladin, its more the counterpart to a Holy Knight who is not in FFR (Yea there is a difference).  

also I would like to see traits added for cross classes. For example if I go ninja and learn to wield two swords, I can place that on my Bez, and wield two axes.

CENTER]image[/CENTER]

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    I vote Blue Mage.
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I hope they add SAM and NINJA class.
  • TaiyohTaiyoh Member UncommonPosts: 48

I'll have to agree with all the aforementioned classes, but I'm still waiting on seeing a Gunner class, seeing as there have been hints of such a class since 1.0 with the Barracuda Musketeers in Limsa Lominsa, so I'd guess that would be the first class on the list, also because even with the Arcanist becoming playable, there would still have to be one more new class that starts out in Limsa Lominsa to even things out as far as starter classes go.

As things stand now, the starting classes are divided as followed:

Ul'dah: Gladiator, Thaumaturge, Pugilist

Gridania: Archer, Lancer, Conjurer

Limsa Lominsa: Marauder, Arcanist

So I'm voting for a Gunner class, wich could also relate to the aforementioned Engineer perhaps?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Taiyoh

I'll have to agree with all the aforementioned classes, but I'm still waiting on seeing a Gunner class, seeing as there have been hints of such a class since 1.0 with the Barracuda Musketeers in Limsa Lominsa, so I'd guess that would be the first class on the list, also because even with the Arcanist becoming playable, there would still have to be one more new class that starts out in Limsa Lominsa to even things out as far as starter classes go.

As things stand now, the starting classes are divided as followed:

Ul'dah: Gladiator, Thaumaturge, Pugilist

Gridania: Archer, Lancer, Conjurer

Limsa Lominsa: Marauder, Arcanist

So I'm voting for a Gunner class, which could also relate to the aforementioned Engineer perhaps?

Limsa would also be the perfect place to house the Thief class. Being full of pirates and all. There is some rumor of a "surprise!" class for launch...

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Personally, I'd like to see Red and Blue Mages added, both are very unique in their own right. Dark Knight should also be a priority as well, especially if it's a Black Mage/Gladiator variant. Although the FFT or FFIV variants would work as well.

Additionally, Thieves and Ninjas should be added. Both are iconic jobs across numerous FF games. The FFIV ninja was a special favorite of mine.

I'd love to see the FFT Alchemist make an appearance as well. Numerous times, I would run with Alchemists over White Mages as my healer/support characters in FFT.

The Engineer in FFT was a bit bland for my tastes, they'd really need to open it up and make it something special.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Red Mage please, that way I don't have to play a thaumaturge with substandard and often weak healing from the conjurer class.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Originally posted by Stellus
    Ugh, no more rogue classes. It's quite refreshing to see a game that doesn't rely on a cliche characters that anyone under the age of 16 idolizes. Put on some big boy pants and be a team player.

Funny you say that, because thieves and ninjas are both kind of known for working in groups ('band of thieves', 'ninja clan', etc.) - and, with the notable exception of Shadow in FF6, they are pretty well team-players in the FF universe (and even Shadow ended up taking one for the team).

Originally posted by Taiyoh

So I'm voting for a Gunner class, wich could also relate to the aforementioned Engineer perhaps?

I've been hearing a lot about 'Musketeer' as the next likely class (or more precisely, the next 'job' - I'm thinking it will be a job corresponding to the archer class, an alternative to Bard), so I think you are right here; we'll see them instead of 'Engineer', or at least first. Though I guess it's possible that Musketeer will be a class, not a job - in which case Engineer will be one of the jobs growing from it, and maybe Corsair or 'Gunner' as the other, with Ranger taking the other archer slot...

They have all but confirmed Samurai and Ninja - those two are way too popular throughout the franchise to be passed up, though which classes they will grow out of I don't know...I could see a Thief class growing into Ninja...maybe Lancer into Samurai? I don't know...

Also, Dark Knight is extremely likely - I don't think there has ever been an FF game with Paladins that didn't also have Dark Knights. It would be a pretty simple match-up to have Dark Knight be the second job growing from Marauder too. I think we can expect this before too long.

So, basically all those in the article are pretty likely and coming soon, I'd say, with the possible exception of Blue Mage (likely to show up eventually, not sure how soon - might be a second job growing out of the Thief or Gladiator classes maybe).

As for my own guesses:

-Conjurer > Geomancer (the lore for Conjurer would make this extremely natural - no pun intended - would expand on the offensive wild/earth/water spells of the Conjurer to make a more damage/off-healer hybrid)

-Thaumaturge > Oracle (Debuff-Centric support that will also tap into Arcanist skills probably)

-Thief or Gladiator (whichever Blue Mage does not come from) > Beastmaster (Also an iconic/popular class, though this one might come later on just because there are already 3 classes with pets, 1 of which is a dedicated pet class - dd and/or off-tank)

-Pugilist > Dancer (Support Buff/Debuff DD) or possibly Puppetmaster (versatile role support)

-Archer > Ranger (Heavy DD)

I'd also like it if they added a 3rd main healing and 3rd main tanking class...I'm sure they will be in demand...maybe another class like 'fencer' that uses a rapier with magic and grows into Red Mage (healer) and Rune Fencer/Mystic Knight, etc. (something that can pass as a tanking class).

So in summary (TL;DR):

All the jobs listed by the article are likely, but Musketeer instead of Engineer (or both plus Corsair).

Geomancer, Oracle, Beastmaster, Dancer (or Puppetmaster), Ranger, and maybe Red Mage and Rune Fencer are my guesses for down the road.

That'd make 22-24 jobs just for combat (more than FFXI has after a decade!) in additional to all the crafting and gathering jobs! (So if we do see that many, it'll take SOME time...)

Edit: Now that I think about it, it seems like they are trying to make the more iconic FF archetypes into 'jobs' while the classes are sort of generic. If that's the case, if that pattern holds, 'thief' would be a job if it is in at all, not a class. But that means Samurai and ninja might have to be bound to some generic katana-wielding class ('Far Eastern Blade'?), while there needs to be a generic dagger class ('Rogue'/Knife-fighter??) for Thief to grow out of. That'd still leave 2 job slots open in my above predictions though - a second job growing from Lancer (Knight??), and a second growing from the dagger class (Maybe *this* is Dancer and the Pugilist slot is Puppetmaster??, or maybe this is where Beastmaster or Blue Mage will come from??). Ah, speculation... 

• naZchoconaZchoco Member Posts: 82
    Samurai. Please. Do it.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    I forgot all about Blue mages, that would be awesome!
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Red Mage, Samurai, and Dancer.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by naZchoco
    Samurai. Please. Do it.

I second this...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• TheFirst109TheFirst109 Member UncommonPosts: 182
    This post is invalid because there is no puppetmaster listed!!
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

You know, I played FF6 extensively as a kid, and I never even knew that Cyan was a Samurai.

I guess he didn't matter enough to me for me to care.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Ghavrigg

You know, I played FF6 extensively as a kid, and I never even knew that Cyan was a Samurai.

I guess he didn't matter enough to me for me to care.

Hahaha, me neither.  I didn't really care to analyze what job they were supposed to represent. 

As long as I could play Edgar & Celes I was fine.

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Mimes!!!!!!!!

Even though I have no idea how that class would work. lol

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Please no gunner classes, sick of hearing guns fire over and over in a team. 
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Stellus

Thief and Ninja were very much team players in Final Fantasy 11 and they could be too in XIV if done right.  Hell Ninja was a tank class in 11.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I don't care if they add a rogue type class but please no invisibility for them. 
  • Thunder073Thunder073 Member UncommonPosts: 108

1. Blue Mage

2. Alchemist

3. Green Mage

4. Dark Knight

5. Red Mage

./drool

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    They need to release BLU and a new race, Ronso!   I know they have male mithra now, but they're weak! They need more muscles! Ronso muscles!  My favorite character in all of FF was Kimahri.  He was quiet, and straight to the point.  I totally filled out his tree in FFX, and had every ability, he was so awesome :D  And bring back Lancet, I didn't like how BLU was in FFXI.