Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: Music, Arts, and... Swimsuits?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It seems an unlikely trio of ways for fans to show off their work in game, but ArcheAge will feature the ability for players to tout their music, their artwork and the ever-popular swimsuits. See what we've learned about these features and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

Verily, I say unto thee, the drought hath returneth, and I know not the directions to which Western ArcheAge is taken. Speaking more simply, it would be enough to say that after E3, the folks at Trion Worlds and XLGames have kind of gone silent once again. As the drought of Western ArcheAge information continues, let us harken back to the culture of ArcheAge and discuss three developments made known to the community: the ability to play music, the fostering of fan art with in-game galleries, and... well, swimsuits. 

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s ArcheAge: Music, Arts, and... Swimsuits?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    All the non in game world relevant stuff breaks immersion for me though, personally. Running up to someones house in a High Fantasy world and seeing a pepsi machine and Scooby Doo paintings on the wall is a little disrupting.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    This sounds rediculous but different strokes I guess. I too like continuity in an online world. That and I think pop culture is LAME!!!
  • LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200

Some players just can't handle the sandbox elements and the freedom...

But no worries, there are tons of WoW clones for them out there. bye.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by LlexX

OR....

They like sandbox elements but want the creativity to fit the world they are in.

crazy right!?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    The sandbox elements and tools that are provided define the world. If the world, as so defined, does not appeal to a player, then the player should not feel the need to try to change it when there are other options on the market. MMO developers should be encouraged to push the boundaries as long as they stick to their business model and try to appeal to whatever demographic they are after.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Too bad ArcheAge has a massive themepark thing going before you actually get into the sandbox part of it.

A bunch of different genres mashed together, Asian grind stuff, bizarre Korean pop art things at every turn.......no thanks, I wait for EQ Next.  Something more tuned to a western audience.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Race cars and swimsuits. Sweet.....

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    All the non in game world relevant stuff breaks immersion for me though, personally. Running up to someones house in a High Fantasy world and seeing a pepsi machine and Scooby Doo paintings on the wall is a little disrupting.

Not nearly as disrupting as all the other trash-MMO mechanics out there, e.g., capture the flag, huttball, battlegrounds, follow-the-path mentality, etc.

I'd rather deal with cars and swimsuits within a large player-controlled open world than delve into the same "stand on the main road" and bounce quest hub to quest hub. I'm done with it.

We finally get a game that breaks off from the traditional fail mold, and people complain about swimsuits. Sigh...

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    I like speedos and cars.

gameplay > graphics

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

Too bad ArcheAge has a massive themepark thing going before you actually get into the sandbox part of it.

A bunch of different genres mashed together, Asian grind stuff, bizarre Korean pop art things at every turn.......no thanks, I wait for EQ Next.  Something more tuned to a western audience.

I don't see a problem with this. Theme Parks are fun to level in, but are ultimately boring when they are completed. The problem with WAR, AoC, SWTOR, etc...     nothing to do at the end.

EQN is a good 3+ years away.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Not nearly as disrupting as all the other trash-MMO mechanics out there, e.g., capture the flag, huttball, battlegrounds, follow-the-path mentality, etc.

I'd rather deal with cars and swimsuits within a large player-controlled open world than delve into the same "stand on the main road" and bounce quest hub to quest hub. I'm done with it.

We finally get a game that breaks off from the traditional fail mold, and people complain about swimsuits. Sigh...

That is in the Korean version, we don't know what we will get here. Only Trion knows for sure.....

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    ArcheAge: The Scarlet Blade expansion ?
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by flizzer

No not at all. Scarlet Blade was extremely shameless.

I am getting more of Second life vibe from this entire thing now.

With the user generated music and art. Its all very....create your own game sounding to me.

Which isn't a bad thing. It can break immersion very quickly if mishandled.

Only time will tell and once we get our hands on it though.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Night clubs and slot machines are not sandbox elements. They are not ground breaking, only indications that the game has no focus. I too like the game concepts expressed by this game but not at the expense of traveling through a shallow world. Why can't we have both? I like clock work vehicles, WoW/GW2, because they add flavor to the world. The pop culture elements though pull you right out of the world though. If you don't care about these elements of gameplay that's fine but I feel the vast majority of mmo players do which means the game will die before it begins. Does anyone know how we'll the game is doing in Korea?
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    A game that once interested me has now officially gone full tard.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by MondoA2J
    Originally posted by flizzer

No not at all. Scarlet Blade was extremely shameless.

I am getting more of Second life vibe from this entire thing now.

With the user generated music and art. Its all very....create your own game sounding to me.

Which isn't a bad thing. It can break immersion very quickly if mishandled.

Only time will tell and once we get our hands on it though.

At least you knew that going in with SB. This one is a stealth version of SB maybe.

• Moridin82Moridin82 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Sovrath

OR....

They like sandbox elements but want the creativity to fit the world they are in.

crazy right!?

/signed

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Amazing, I hope this stuff makes it to our shores, but to be honest, America isn't really the land of the free now is it? 
  • SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    I was interested in this game but if characters are going to have pepsi machines, travel about in race car mounts in their bikinis or bermuda shorts then forget it. Way to f*ck it up.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

what's the best cure for an anachronism headache??

i have some gin...

you know how some games have "pvp and non pvp" servers?  trion if you're listening make this game have "pop culture and non pop culture" servers.  because if you remove the modern day clothing and vending machines the premise of the game is amazing.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by sevitoth

Race cars and swimsuits. Sweet.....

Classic combination that sold a lot of sports cars in the 50s.

Still works, I guess.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

OR....

crazy right!?

Actually yeah that does sound crazy. Glad we didn't follow your line of thinking in the real world. We'd be stuck in the stone ages.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by mcrippins

OR....

crazy right!?

Actually yeah that does sound crazy. Glad we didn't follow your line of thinking in the real world. We'd be stuck in the stone ages.

So "like", in the renaissance there was hip hop music and Wendy's restaurants?

Or during the Rococo period you and your girl, in her bee hive hairdo and poodle skirt, would sit in your cherry drag racer at the drive-in, finishing up a burger and a malt and afterward  make with the back street bingo? (edited for more swank!)

or did you just not understand?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

This sort of stuff is for the RP'ers, most of them sit in the safe zones and RP all day. Xl games is just catering to those folks. XL games has also added a 10 man underwater dungeon and a new Dragon boss.

New Dragon Boss

http://youtu.be/hiB8liN_34s

http://youtu.be/w0ayKXUVDBM

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Oh short sighted friends.. For those of you posting about immersion breaking due to people's creativity - may not find the sandbox to be the best place. Sandboxes are meant to inspire creativity, allow the players to control the world, and give them the utilities to build whatever it is they choose to build. 

Unless you're some kind of hardcore RP'er which most of you aren't, then you really have zero room to complain. First off, you haven't even played this game. You saw a couple of screenshots or a video and instantly judged it as if you've earned the right. You haven't. Shut up. There are a billion and one games out there that do not inspire any sort of creativity and will not break your precious 'theme' (which you never cared about before until someone else mentioned it). So please just leave these games to the people that really, really want them, and don't go yelling in our forums to make changes that already exist in other, lesser, games.