Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play EQNext if it was as brutal as GoD?

WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
Would you stick around or bail on the game?

Comments

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by DMKano

GoD wasn't that brutal, it sure was ugly and uninspiring imo.

It's the only MMO expansion I know of that wasn't beaten before the next one came out. Tunat wasn't killed on any server before OOW.

Would people be ok if an expansion is unbeatable nowadays?

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    GoD was not tuned for current max level at release, thus was released nearly unplayable. If the game is released nearly unplayable, that speaks for itself.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    I've no idea what GoD is but i'm all for brutality.  Loved AoC.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by arieste

I'm with this poster. Even down to the AoC part. So... what is GoD?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Waterlily
    Would you stick around or bail on the game?

Depends on how repetitive it was. I'm fine with things being hard, but being repetitive will get me to play another game faster than nearly anything else.

Though, I think it's appropriate to mention that I have no real plans to play EQN. I'm just kind of fantasy gamed out.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Vayman

I'm with this poster. Even down to the AoC part. So... what is GoD?

EQ expansion, Gates of Discord

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

It's an EQ expansion called Gates Of Discord, it's nothing to do with how brutal the game was like AOC. The expansion came after Lost Dungeons Of Norrath. It was a mess with unfinished content or unbeatable content, some would actually say it was the nail in the coffin for some top EQ guilds and normal players.

This was the same year that WOW came out and the OOW was delayed till later in the year, basically 2 months before WOW came out.

• wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278

It's the only MMO expansion I know of that wasn't beaten before the next one came out. Tunat wasn't killed on any server before OOW.

From what I remember - numerically, it was nearly impossible to beat because content was designed for the next expansion.  

With that said, having some content that is numerically too hard may spark some unique strategy, as it did in EQ1, it could be fun.  We had a turnout of over 100 people for elemental bosses in PoPower - multiple guilds and participants.  Yes, GoD even drove elite guilds to quit - but the content in question was far out of reach from the general population (progression and gear), and no one wanted to collaborate. 

Though, I'm not saying that I'd prefer to not allow a single group/guild to complete content of an expansion - I would prefer it if content like this was implemented (too hard), that it was an additional feature for fun, not a primary point in the games progression.

• CamoebCamoeb Member UncommonPosts: 53

Originally posted by Tygranir
    GoD was not tuned for current max level at release, thus was released nearly unplayable. If the game is released nearly unplayable, that speaks for itself.

It's true, the devs came out and said the level cap was supposed to be 70 for GoD. The encounters were actually alot of fun the major issues with the expansion were the large number of bugs at launch along with the fact that every zone was pretty much cut & paste.

Also if I remember correctly Overlord Mata Muram from OoW wasn't killed until after the launch of the DoN expansion.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

No, and neither would anyone else aside from a small handful of players.  Hard content is good, but content so poorly tuned that it literally is unbeatable is not.

That being said, after OoW came out and the max level went up to 70 GoD was still hard, but doable and thus pretty fun.

GoD and OoW probably should have been one expansion that shipped at the same time, then GoD wouldn't have been so horrible.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

Thanks for the clarifications. I can't say I'm familiar with it, so my reply may mean little. At any rate, I wouldn't say "no" to difficult content at all. I wouldn't want the entire game to have such difficulty because variety is good. As long as risk vs. reward dynamics are observed, everything should be on the table as far as what could be implemented.

One thing that "impossible" content does is bring together the community. Even a large guild might need to send out word for more people to ally with to take down Big Impossible Boss X. Everyone working together - strangers, even - tends to build camaraderie. Especially once the bad guy drops.

A lot of MMOs could use some community building features, in my opinion. Bring on (some) brutality then!

Originally posted by wizardanim

From what I remember - numerically, it was nearly impossible to beat because content was designed for the next expansion.  

With that said, having some content that is numerically too hard may spark some unique strategy, as it did in EQ1, it could be fun.  We had a turnout of over 100 people for elemental bosses in PoPower - multiple guilds and participants.  Yes, GoD even drove elite guilds to quit - but the content in question was far out of reach from the general population (progression and gear), and no one wanted to collaborate. 

Though, I'm not saying that I'd prefer to not allow a single group/guild to complete content of an expansion - I would prefer it if content like this was implemented (too hard), that it was an additional feature for fun, not a primary point in the games progression.

I liked GoD because you had something to work upto, you knew no one could beat it easily and you slowly made progress.

In new MMO I feel like everyone is just racing agains the clock, walsing through content as fast as possible, there's no time to reflect and invent a new strategy, it's just GO GO GO. I like progress that takes some time.

It's not so much the content that is hard, it's more the pace that is slow because of the hard content, I don't feel rushed.

Originally posted by Vayman

One thing that "impossible" content does is bring together the community. Even a large guild might need to send out word for more people to ally with to take down Big Impossible Boss X. Everyone working together - strangers, even - tends to build camaraderie. Especially once the bad guy drops.

True, I think most EQ players made their best friends in the game during hardship, at least I did.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by Camoeb

Originally posted by Tygranir

It's true, the devs came out and said the level cap was supposed to be 70 for GoD. The encounters were actually alot of fun the major issues with the expansion were the large number of bugs at launch along with the fact that every zone was pretty much cut & paste.

Also if I remember correctly Overlord Mata Muram from OoW wasn't killed until after the launch of the DoN expansion.

I remember hearing that the EQ devs had thought no one would be able to kill AoW before Luclin came out too. Someone surprised them right before the next expansion I believe.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

I liked GoD because you had something to work upto, you knew no one could beat it easily and you slowly made progress.

In new MMO I feel like everyone is just racing agains the clock, walsing through content as fast as possible, there's no time to reflect and invent a new strategy, it's just GO GO GO. I like progress that takes some time.

It's not so much the content that is hard, it's more the pace that is slow because of the hard content, I don't feel rushed.

Yeah but you don't want that type of difficulty all the way through. In this day and age most would simply leave the game, can you imagine the GW2 players or any of these latest mmo playing EQN if it was like GOD all the way through.

I think early EQ2 was pretty good for hard content, you really stayed in the cities and leveled up as much as you could before  venturing out and then you needed a group to really get a head. I also like Vanguards level of hard or easy scale, you can solo but you really have to group to get ahead and earn the big results.

Relying on other players is great.

• kniltsolkniltsol Member Posts: 10
    YES! if content gets beat too quickly or leveling is too fast it will just get dropped like every non aaa ftp mmo out there.
  • Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

It's an EQ expansion called Gates Of Discord, it's nothing to do with how brutal the game was like AOC. The expansion came after Lost Dungeons Of Norrath. It was a mess with unfinished content or unbeatable content, some would actually say it was the nail in the coffin for some top EQ guilds and normal players.

This was the same year that WOW came out and the OOW was delayed till later in the year, basically 2 months before WOW came out.

People complain games are too easy.

Then they make an expansion hard and people call it broken and quit the game. lol

It's cute.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

You know, I'm not sure.  GoD wasn't that bad.  Granted, I didn't raid everything in the expansion.  I quit halfway through.

I want a game to be difficult, scrub that, I want it to be challenging; but not Dark Souls difficult (albeit, Dark Souls is freaking awesome) and certainly not WOW easy.

Would I jump ship if EQN was that brutal?  Probably not.  It really depends on how good/bad the character advancement is.  If I can offset the brutal aspect of the game by making "the build", then I'll stick around.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity

Yeah but you don't want that type of difficulty all the way through. In this day and age most would simply leave the game, can you imagine the GW2 players or any of these latest mmo playing EQN if it was like GOD all the way through.

Most people couldn't even beat the 5 man exploration mode dungeons in GW2 and many that did slogged through it zerging with multiple deaths lol.  Even on the first lvl 30 dungeon lolol.

I hope EQN is like that, personally. :)

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

wiki has a good overview in the "controversy" writeup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest:_Gates_of_Discord

Matters came to a head when Woody Hearn, a notable gamer and cartoonist of GU Comics website called for the boycott of the next planned expansion Omens of War.[2]

When released, some of the content was nearly unplayable for most of the player base. Numerous bugs were discovered in the game with the release of the expansion, which also updated the graphics and geometry engine. Old content seemingly unrelated to the new expansion "broke", requiring the immediate attention of the new developers or online guides and GMs. One explanation offered is that during expansion developments there was a "changing of the guard" in the staff at SOE, leading or contributing to these issues. It was also revealed that a management mistake had been made in which some of the content was meant for the next tier cap of player levels - level 70. A SOE game developer confirmed that SOE designed Gates of Discord with level 70 in mind, but SOE did not include the planned tier cap increase from 65.[1] This management mistake ensured that several critical points of the expansion were unbeatable by most players at that time, both for single groups and raids. Whatever the cause, these issues were eventually addressed, but too late to prevent controversy.

Several "uberguilds" (highly powerful and influential groups of players), including Fires of Heaven, Afterlife, Ascent, and Keepers of the Faith, departed from EverQuest around this time. Many of these players acted as beta testers for World of Warcraft, which was in development for release later in the year, although by spring of 2005 some returned. This possibly had something to do with EQ becoming a game with fairer competition due to instanced raids.

In response to player criticism, SOE organized a summit in the summer of 2004 to hear the main concerns of the playerbase towards Gates of Discord and EverQuest in general.[1] The summit's guests included influential players and gamers from guild leaderships and fan websites, notably among them Woody Hearn (of GU Comics). SOE also delayed the release the next expansion Omens of War by several months to give time for the GoD quality issues to be addressed.[3]

http://www.gucomics.com/20040607

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I don't really care how harsh a game is... If through learning the systems of the game etc things make sense.   Which means you can smart.. you can win.   Or if you are game smart you do have a chance to recover from a bad (not suicidal) encounter.

Most MMO's just seem to go to some system which makes zero sense and then declare it "difficult" or a challenge.   God mode on a NPC (as an example) isn't a challenge in my opinion.   Games used to be a lot more interesting at least my memory tells me they were.

Basicly what I mean is.. I don't mind figuring stuff out at all.   I don't mind if I die while in that process.   Dying simply because that's the script no matter what I do.. is not going to interest me.   I played Ultima Online up until EQ came out and then went back and forth (all but one friend moved to EQ) so I don't exactly find current games harsh in comparison to what UO was like in 97/98.

• kniltsolkniltsol Member Posts: 10

"It's cute"

LOVE IT!

I agree. They just dont make hardcore games like they used to. LOK made UO look like a baby's toy. Ahhh the good ol days.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by Gallus85

Then they make an expansion hard and people call it broken and quit the game. lol

It's cute.

Haha, well to be fair, I was around in EQ still at that time.  And, what some of the others said above, the expansion was designed for level 70s, but the level cap remained 65 when it launched(they rushed the release of the expansion).  So, it was pretty much unbeatable for just about everyone.

Point: it really was broken :p

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by Lokero
    Originally posted by Gallus85

It's cute.

Haha, well to be fair, I was around in EQ still at that time.  And, what some of the others said above, the expansion was designed for level 70s, but the level cap remained 65 when it launched(they rushed the release of the expansion).  So, it was pretty much unbeatable for just about everyone.

Point: it really was broken :p

I never did get through Tipt while I played GoD. Got past the first named but never completed the whole run. From what I remember, we always had a charmed mob tank the named because he hit way too hard for pretty much every tank...

GoD wasn't the expansion anyways that did it in for me, but OoW. Didn't feel like grinding out the next couple levels and saw that loot that I had raided for was now dropping with some regularity off of named mobs in the newest expansion. Think The Bloodfields was the place to go for that. Was just kind of deflating to me.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger