Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP vs PVE, Themepark VS Sandbox. Let the polls decide!

l2avisml2avism Member UncommonPosts: 386

PVP vs PVE, Themepark VS Sandbox. Let the polls decide!

Themepark PvE Games: (most of them) Original EQ2

Themepark PVP Games: none

Themepark Both: WoW, DAOC, EQ2 after PVP patch

Sanbox PVE Games: not many, SecondLife, UO after trammel

Sandbox PVP Games: planetside, not many

Sandbox Both: most sandbox games, DF, EVE

Comments

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
     Why is there such a need to rehash the same questions over and over with nothing new to discuss? There's a 20+ page thread talking about just this...
  • l2avisml2avism Member UncommonPosts: 386

The other thread was biased towards PvE and did not have a poll.

There were also claims that the majority of gamers are strictly PvE or PvP without any evidence to back up those claims.

A poll solves that.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    It won't decide a thing, just go off tangent and become another PvP vs PvE thread but have fun anyway.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Why does everyone have to put a stupid option in a poll (referring to the last option).
  • ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191

Sandpark (pve with some pvp)

I simply like elements from both Themeparks and Sandboxes and would like to see a combinaation of both.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

I will always choose PvE over PvP but I can't choose between sandbox and themepark because I enjoy both.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Why does everyone have to put a stupid option in a poll (referring to the last option).

Because it's funnier than putting "none of the above, please post why."

As for the OP, you almost tricked me with sandbox both, I would like both PvE and PvP in any game I play, but I don't want PvP in my PvE world. I want PvP separate, so I had to pick Sandbox PvE.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

Whether the last option was meant to be "stupid" or simply worded to be "funny" will unfortunetly be left up to the reader.  However, I chose the last option in all seriousness.  I do not want a themepark.  I do not want a sandbox.  I do not want PVE (whether raid / gear-driven or not).  I do not want PVP (any type of pure PVP is the worst).   I want something else.  You could call it a combination of these (it probably is), but I want a blur a new look;  EQ was never a themepark (at least not until planes / raiding levels -- in the earliest days).  It had some quests -- that's ok.  But it did not care where or how you leveled -- your grinded whether via kills, belts, or by pelts, etc.  I don't want to only grind quite that hard anymore, but would be ok if it were a viable option.  I do not want to be spoon  fed with quests designed to carry me to the next level or more, but like it upon occasion (just not 100% and maybe not even 50%).  I do not want to die over and over to twerps, jerks, and gangs.  I do want player vs. player combat if it's fun (do not balance me or my group -- balance my nation maybe).  I do not want them vs. us.  I want those against those and those and maybe some help from them or them.  I do not want to build a stick so I dig some mud to build a brick to melt a gem to plug a hole in any object.  I do not want to live in a mobile park.  I do not want to have invisilble guards on my belongings.  I want to fear (but mainly the fauna and such not my neighbors -- at least not much).  I do not want a way to win.  I do not want to wake up herioc and epic every day.  I want to earn it over a lifetime.  A long lifetime.  I do not want restrictions-- I want to earn freedoms.  I want much more then any sandbox or themepark.  What I want is doable.  Give me 5-10millions and I would deliver it with a team of 30 or 40 in two - three years (and some loans!).

Do it!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I'd be willing to bet the most popular answer would have been themebox pve focus with flagged pvp. People like aspects of all the types of games but want more choices in the games we play.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by ghorgos

I simply like elements from both Themeparks and Sandboxes and would like to see a combinaation of both.

This.  And since the poll does not have this option, the poll sucks.

Originally posted by whisperwynd
    It won't decide a thing, just go off tangent and become another PvP vs PvE thread but have fun anyway.

Thats why you just look at the poll and totally disregard everything underneath :)

Originally posted by elocke
    Originally posted by ghorgos

This.  And since the poll does not have this option, the poll sucks.

go make your own poll then

Originally posted by DamonVile
    I'd be willing to bet the most popular answer would have been themebox pve focus with flagged pvp. People like aspects of all the types of games but want more choices in the games we play.

This is the Themepark both option. It has pve and pvp.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Open World Sandbox (with some Themepark elements), PvE with Structured PvP (Duels, Group Battles, GvG Wars, Contested Areas)

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

There is far more 'sand' in Eve than DF.

Eve is the only game I keep going back to.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

At the moment we have 56 votes for sandbox and only 5 for themepark. Is there really such a strong majority for sandboxes on this forum?

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

There is no "decision" to make.

It is enough that my preference succeeds, everyone else doesn't need to fail.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

where is the PVE both option and the PVP both option ?

cause I wanted to pick PvE both, cause I like theme parks and true sand boxes equally

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Open worl sandbox, some themepark elements PVE vith optional PVP combat must be focused on PVE and no spacial gear for pvp or anything else, both should share same set-up, gear, etc, etc, etc, again has to be PVE focused.
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Originally posted by znaiika
    Sandbox PVE vith optional PVP combat must be focused on PVE and no spacial gear for pvp or anything else, both should share same set-up, gear, etc, etc, etc, again has to be PVE focused.

Or, PVP gear can only be worn as a PVP spec, which can only be used in PVP areas :)

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

Sandbox is more immersive. You stake your claim and build a life in a world. Often times making your own equipment and house or boat. Decorating your house and using it to store gear and supplies. FIghting other players for resources and dungeons. Maybe even defending your home area from sieges or laying siege to other people's areas. Ship battles are also possible. So much more going on than in a standard theme park.

I also believe in having non player races and areas with factions as well as deep and sophisticated dungeons and encounters.

There can be a sort of marriage of sandbox with pvp and some theme park elements.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Roguewiz
    Sandbox PVE vith optional PVP combat must be focused on PVE and no spacial gear for pvp or anything else, both should share same set-up, gear, etc, etc, etc, again has to be PVE focused.

Or, PVP gear can only be worn as a PVP spec, which can only be used in PVP areas :)

Usualy PVP gear is overpowered and PVPers use it to do PVE, and that, is not fair, PVPers should learn to use what's in desposal, not looking for easier way to make them overpovered.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

Usualy PVP gear is overpowered and PVPers use it to do PVE, and that, is not fair, PVPers should learn to use what's in desposal, not looking for easier way to make them overpovered.

Hense the whole PVP gear, as a PVP spec, in PVP areas comment

Translation:

• PVE Spec can't use PVP gear
    • Because you aren't a PVP spec, you can't be in a PVP area as a PVE spec
    • Because you are a PVP spec, you can't be in a PVE area as a PVP spec.
    It's the easiest way to balance a game around PVP and PVE.  If everyone has access to a PVE Spec and a separate PVP spec, the only thing you need to do is balance the PVP spec for PVP, and the PVE spec for PVE since they will never collide.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

In TERA's forecast today I see a slight leaning to PvE over PvP.

PvE DOMINATES!

PvP looses!  PvP looses!

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

I would really enjoy a PvE Sandbox MMORPG.

Not a PvP Sandbox retrofitted for PvE like Wurm Online or EVE, but a MMORPG created from scratch to be PvE and Sandbox.