Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shroud of the Avatar Demo at RTX

superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

SotA presentation and playable Demo at RTX live in Austin, TX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OkfbzqFHEM

Same video with 720p version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX5npHEDock&t=189m59s

Richard Garriott talking with fans afterwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dYken5riQE

I absolutely loved what I saw so far! What did you guys think?

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    thanks for sharing.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

One of the coolest things I would have to say is the ability to have free-form, open-ended discussions with NPCs. Imagine the possibilities there! Don't you remember how much more fun and challenging that old-school style of dialogue was in adventure games? None of this "light the path to your objective" spellcasting to ruin the game.

• TrykenTryken Ultima Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 63

I've been so disappointed with the "promises" MMO companies make then later reveal. This video was one of the first, in a very long time, that made me sit on the edge of my seat in excitement. I absolutely loved it, and have faith in Richard (how could I not? Ultima Online is, to this day, the best MMO experience I've ever had).

Go into the woods, cut down wood, build furniture or buy it for your home? Check. Run a tavern? Check. Full, in depth crafting system where you can leave your mark on what it is you make? Check. A crypt that brought back memories of crypts from classic MMOs? Check. No levels? Check. Actually be immersed in a game instead of being caught in a rat race of combat leveling? Super, ultra check.

Yeah, I'm glad I put down the money to get into Alpha testing. I'm pretty darn excited.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Awesome share thanks very much,

Gotta say im loving the idea of the craft system - No Blueprints just get to know, this might seriously pander to my Excel spreadhseet love (ie EVE lol)

Still might need some pursuading about the conversation, but will give it a real feel, but concerned at the "hey baby wanna go and  ****" kids, and how this will have impact,

But, looks some good fun, having NEVER played any ultima this is  my first meet with lord british and migth even be pledging a small (sub $100) to this game, so far i like waht i see, but might just wait 6-8 weeks and see how the future dev going before pledging a few $$$S

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

I've been a backer since the kickstarter and I'm very pleased with the progress.  One other factor is the interaction between the Developers and the community.  No other game has made as much effort to include the community.  Weekly live dev chats and an Artistic Show (Pen of the Avatar) really makes you feel like your part of the creation process.

The entire staff at Portalarium are top notch and ooze class.   Community liaison Firelotus gives 100% to reply to emails and help with any technical issues.  Its not only about a game, but about the bond you start to form with the Developer Team.  This is probably the main factor that got me to pledge at a high level. 

The Demo really highlights the effort to make a unique gaming experience and avoid the term "clone" being applied to its description.

One word to describe the game.......Different.

**** Just go to    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/   and watch the videos.  They put out some more of the demo with a developer chat.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i like everything i saw. My only concern is the controls. It didnt look like it had WASD on the video gameplay. The cursor disappeared when the character was walking  but you could still see that the location of the cursor before disappearing and after showing up again was always pointing in the direction the character was walking. This shows they were pointing and licking to move.

i really really hope this game has WASD

Yes is has WASD movement.
  • DisastormDisastorm Member Posts: 318
    I really liked the demo and I feel like the game is going to be made into a very well done rpg with online components. It almost seems like an online version of Skyrim or something like that.
  • JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131

Im really torn about this one. On one hand it honestly didnt look THAT bad and I kind of felt an old school nostalgia in the interface and map. But aside from that part that nothing shown in the video had ANYTHING to do with MMO's. 

Hopefully they will push this into full MMO territory but if not, Ill probably ignore it until I see something substantial gameplay wise. So whose ready for Wildstar huh?

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    There is an irc channel and a web client on the site.  The web client is a little fragile and it's easy to click away and have to reload.  That happened to me several times to the amusement of the channel. :p  They seem to be a very friendly group and welcoming of newbs and visitors.

They are using a Selective Multi-player setup.  Its hard for me to explain all the ways you can play the game.  I'd recommend just checking out the main site for how it will work. 

Basically, when you play online your going to be participating with a pool of players (Friends, PVPers, Guild Mates) People you have selected.   You won't see all 10,000 people on one server, maybe a few hundred with the same likes as yourself.   Villages, Towns and Cities will always remain on SotA servers.  So when you enter those areas, player houses in a specific town will always be there when you log in to it.

I believe Star Citizen is following a similar concept. 

In addition to being playable as a single player offline game, SotA is expected to have three unique network play styles:[2]

• Single Player Online (SPO)
    • Friend Party Online (FPO)
    • Open Play Online (OPO)

Single Player Online (SPO) mode allows the user to receive updated content whilst exploring the world without external user interaction. Players in this mode will be able to see content from other players, such as houses and vendors, but will not be shown interaction options with other player characters. Friend Party Online (FPO) allows for the user to elect to see players the person is familiar (i.e. 'friends'), or other individuals they have explicitly stated they wish to share game-space. Open Play Online is similar to a traditional MMORPG model, but a ranking system is used to display any and all relevant player character options to each individual user. The details of this ranking system are not yet made public, but has been described as showing 'dozens to maybe hundreds' of external actors in the player game-space.

Players may play from any computer if they elect an online mode of play, suggesting that their character information will be hosted by Portalarium. Offline single player modes will not have this feature, nor will offline characters be allowed to switch to online modes of play. Online modes of play can be switched from SPO, FPO, and OPO anytime a player is within a settlement such as a village, town, or city. These options will not be available whilst a player is within an instance or active content.[3]

Additionally, players utilising the online modes of play will be able to participate in player to player transactions, group finding, patching, streaming of dynamic content, and exploit prevention.[2]

• MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Really impressed with how much has been accomplished since being funded on Kickstarter. I can't wait for this game.