Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lotro, once a great game destroyed...

Comments

• AzaqinAzaqin Member UncommonPosts: 67

Sigh. Just another poster who doesn't get the fact that if the game does not supply what you want, then you don't play it. There are plenty of games that will happily give you exactly what you want.

The truth is that there is a market for a game that is NOT raid or PvP centric. Hell, a lot of people prefer it.

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

I started playing LotRO shortly after the SoA launch.

I've always loved Tolkien, so I was hooked in the very beginning. I didn't reach max level until a few months before the Moria launch, but I distinctly remember having lots of fun all along the way. The world was huge and mostly open, there were plenty of dangerous areas (my repair bills in Angmar especially were atrocious), and the game was just very solidly made. Then Moria came, and it was mostly awesome with the exception of the Legendary weapon system (there is NOTHING legendary about that massive recycling system). Then came the big Pre-Lorien patch which was...underwhelming, to say the least. The same was true for Lorien itself.

Then came Mirkwood, followed by the f2p transition. Awful. Dunland. Worse. Isengard. Atrocious. Rohan I didn't even bother purchasing, so I can't comment on it. All I know is that the last time I tried the game (a few weeks ago), even with a subscription they @#&;*ing store was popping up EVERYWHERE. It was completely obnoxious. I uninstalled without finishing my sub and didn't look back.

LotRO was once a great game, but that time was a long time ago.

No one cares. Bye.

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by nosam9

Lotro is ok if you want to try it out for cheap - but I agree with the OP. Turbine is letting the game get worse and worse. I play it and have watched it over the last few years. No there are so many bugs and performance problems (so much lag). They are not investing much in the game any more and expansions are tiny for $40 with no instance content! Not worth it at all for a new player who will have to buy all the expansions - pay $80 or more for a pretty bad game. Combat bad, AH bad, bag space and items bad, only the early zones, Moria and scenery is good in the game.

If anyone plays a lot of MMOs they will quickly see how bad this game is compared to WoW or Rift. Only the story and scenery is good in Lotro. The game is failing big time. But Turbine has its new game to work on - so they don't really care.

No lag for me, even in Bree and I can't remember the last time I saw a major bug. So more BS from a troll i'd say.

This forum is becoming more and more irellevent when deciding which mmorpg to play. Don't listen to the posters on here, including me,  just go play the game and make your own minds up.

• radagast777radagast777 Member Posts: 80
    Whoa, there are a lot of butt hurt fan boys
  • DralonDralon Member Posts: 38

This game is still a fantastic MMO out there. It does not have everything for everyone, but everyone can find something to enjoy if they look for it.  The good thing about this world we live in, is that there are dozens of quality MMO's out there. If LOTRO isn't your cup of tea....something else will be

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

OP, the sooner you realise that pvp is a sub genre in the game, the happier you will be.

The game has never been based around pvp, raids etc

It's main focus is pve, crafting and an a great community.

If your hoping for a rush to max level and sit in the city all day kind of game, go elsewhere

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by anwar

The early years of LOTRO was probably the best game made with the best community by far.

No more.

I totally agree. SoA was the best and it has been trending downwards ever since. Turbine has milked the IP to death and we should have been to Mordor by now. The game may very well die before that happens. The glff channel has gone from 400 people to around 70 now (on a good night) and all three of the kins I belong to are dead. Server merge anyone?

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    I dropped out after Isengard. The perma stat increases that they put in the item mall were the first strike, then the 3 man content wasn't very kind to my Loremaster. Pushing out Isengard without the new dungeons and nerfing Draigoch were the last straws. My it sure went downhill fast. Was one of the best MMOs I ever played Angmar-Enedwaith.
  • MorrowbreezeMorrowbreeze Member CommonPosts: 141

I find that I have to take a break from time to time. This game holds a special place in my heart though. The older I get the more the rp means something and that really gives gameplay a shot in the arm. Not heavy rp, but things like concerts, Weatherstock, horse races, caravans, trading faires, etc. A kinship you can make friends in is important too. Grind, well isnt that old school? And isnt old School what so many are whining for?

And its really a beautiful game to be immersed in!

photo ScreenShot00047_zpsf81b0080.jpg

• Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Still love the game but can't deny it has serious problems now. Everything in this thread reminds me of Vanguard discussions a few years ago.
    One problem is money. There are lifers that are playing for free now. You might argue they are even being paid to play with cash shop stipends. Selling lifetime memberships only makes sense if you plan for the game to die after 2-3 years. After a couple of years those lifers become losses on the balance sheet unless you can bombard them with cash shop ads and get them to spend $$$.

Another problem is they pulled the f2p trigger too fast. There wasn't any need for it at the time other than to get a ton of money coming in fast and inflate the login numbers. Now would have been a better time for f2p. The game is very top heavy. Most servers are dead, the few that are still active have high level toons running around newb areas grinding points, or stick to their own isolated cliques. F2p now would have brought new life into this, but since they already did it there really isn't much more to do other than try another expansion, that people will complain about a month after release, followed by even more 'this game is dead' write ups everywhere.
    I just resubbed because I still enjoy the game and it's a lot of fun if you aren't into PvP, rushing to max, and don't mind playing solo most of the time. Plus the world graphics aren't that bad. Was nice yesterday watching a sunset, rainbows, a passing thunderstorm, and hanging out in Bree listening to some user made music. I feel like this is the last hurrah for Lotro so I'll enjoy it for a while before it goes Vanguard, just my opinion.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Whoah now guys, let's not get crazy.

A once average game, destroyed. The only time this game was great was in alpha when it was a sandbox called Middle Earth Online. Everything added since then has made the game perpetually worse.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

The only time this game was great was in alpha when it was a sandbox called Middle Earth Online.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Originally posted by avalon1000
    Originally posted by anwar

The early years of LOTRO was probably the best game made with the best community by far.

No more.

I totally agree. SoA was the best and it has been trending downwards ever since. Turbine has milked the IP to death and we should have been to Mordor by now. The game may very well die before that happens. The glff channel has gone from 400 people to around 70 now (on a good night) and all three of the kins I belong to are dead. Server merge anyone?

I agree that Turbine has not done a great job with a lot of the game (though there are things they have done very well) but I really disagree that we should have been to mordor by now. What's the rush?

Once we "get to mordor" the game world is essentially "over' and they have to start fabricating even more things that will even be worse than what they have already fabricated.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    Originally posted by sfc1971

Turbine had with the original game, pre-moria, a decent little sleeper hit on their hands. It was WoW for people that don't like the "intensity" of WoW. And with that I mean anything from the famous barren chat to having to grind just to be able to join a raid. 

The game eventually (before Moria) had two raids, one big and one smaller which gave somewhat okay rewards you didn't need. Raiding was about raiding and not about getting phat loot. I lead plenty, especially Helegrod, were anyone was welcome as long as they met the level requirement to get inside in the first place. 

This would be unthinkable in WoW. Lotro was a nice casual MMORPG and was slowly growing.

But apparently not fast enough because with the release of the Moria expansion, the game took a radically different approach. It introduced an area that was literaly a dungeon and dungeon with no "run free" parts. With that I mean that in the original outdoor areas, you could always find a path with no enemies to harass you on your way to an area OR you could at least reach a spot where you can "run free" of your pursuers without picking up new ones. Not so in Moria, just endless corridors with enemies just widely spaced enough that you would always be under attack. The bypass for collapsed bridge was particullaly insulting, just one corrider just narrow enough to have the single mobs always attack you as you run past. Either run the entire bloody long way under attack or spend an hour or two fighting them. BORING!

Moria also introduced gated content, instances you had to grind before being allowed to do the expansion raid.  For people who by that time had many alts, it promised to be an unsurmountable hurdle and the end content was regonized by many as not worth the hassle. Ever since the introduction Turbine has made countless changes, everytime claiming that this time they had fully satisfied their customers needs... they haven't yet.

Legendary gear was another Moria abonimation and again often changed.

It was basically Moria that ended Lotro as a casual friendly MMORPG and with F2P it opened the flood gates to the kiddies who want WoW but can't afford it. The problem with that approach was simple, the old paying customers left and the new free loaders didn't bring in enough cash. So Turbine went into cash shop overdrive trying to sell stuff like dyes which basically were free in the game proper and finally resorting to pure p2w driving away more old paying customers and getting only free loaders in return.

The game would have been far better if 9/10 of moria had been cut and instead the time had been spent on a nice non-gated raid and some outdoor alternative areas. It had the RP market locked up but wanted to attract the barren crowd instead. Well. They succeeded.

Whereas I did love Moria.. I have to agree with you that LOTRO was best played before the Moria expansion. I felt I was in Middle Earth.  Then  after Moria came the nerfing and f2p. I went back when Isengard came out and left, and then when rohan came out and left. Then I tried again deleting my highest level characters and starting on a new server. And quit again. I doubt if I will go back. The game I loved, the orginal game, is gone now. RIP.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by The_Big_Boss_61

The Lord of the Rings online, made by Turbine a great mmo game is now a joke. Everything is pay 2 win now. New expansion announced. Only questpack LOL no raid/group content whatsoever and they said they will not work on it because raiders are minority of the playerbase. So they sell a questpack for $40-70, add 10 more levels and call it an expansion...

Game already has abysmall pvp, and now raids,6 mans,3 mans are gone. And people in Lotro forums are extremely rude. When people say 'what the hell why only solo content with the last 2 expansions?' fanboys call them haters,whiners etc...

Community manager bluntly told everyone instances/raids and pvp are not their priority in fact, they won't add any more of them anymore. What a joke.

Long story short; if you ever heard of this game and want to try out, be warned. This is one of the grindiest mmos out there. Also if you happen to start, you will have to pay huge amount of money to unlock basic things like traits, gold cap etc and pay for overpriced expansions without any endgame in the end. LOL no endgame at endgame, how about that :) And fanboy excuses are they never liked or did any group content so they prefer solo expansions more.

Also game support is lacking and also rude. I heard someone wanted to cancel their preorder. When Turbine said no he told them he will sue them if they don't. Turbine threatened to ban his account if he tries to get his money back via his legal rights...

Game is 6 years old now and what left of the old players are leaving one by one. They make their goodbye speech on forums also why they think the game is going down, only to get vomitted over by fanboys saying stuff like 'good grief,just leave already whiner' ...

My advice, don't even bother with this game. If you are fan of Tolkien, read the books, watch the movies, play other Lotr games but stay away from this one...

TLDR

1. Or subscribe to the game which unlocks all quests packs and understand this "grind" actually IMPROVES your character via deeds.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Deeds

2. Game WAS NEVER PvP based, with 12% of characters being CREEPS.

http://lotroaltfinder.net/stats

3. Players come and go in EVERY game, what this game has is dedicated players with a gaming community .

http://lotroaltfinder.net/

http://lux-hdro.de/hdro-live.php

Edit:

Forgot, if a player CHOOSES to "grind" (which IMPROVES characters) TP's they can spend very little if any $ on the game.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Azaqin

Sigh. Just another poster who doesn't get the fact that if the game does not supply what you want, then you don't play it. There are plenty of games that will happily give you exactly what you want.

The truth is that there is a market for a game that is NOT raid or PvP centric. Hell, a lot of people prefer it.

I'm all for games providing good solo options for players but there has to be a balance between solo and social activities or the game really has no future.

I mean really how many hours have you spent playing even the best of the best single player games?  I probably spent 400 hours or so playing games like Quest of the Avatar or Morrowind compared to many 10's of thousands playing MMO's like EQ2 doing group content like raids and dungeons.  Solo content is valuable in a MMO but it can't be the whole MMO.

I just don't see a future for a MMO who's entire content is solo based.  Now maybe the OP is overstating just how solo based LOTR Online has become but I have not heard anyone argue that it hasn't shifted significantly that direction.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Azaqin

I just don't see a future for a MMO who's entire content is solo based.  Now maybe the OP is overstating just how solo based LOTR Online has become but I have not heard anyone argue that it hasn't shifted significantly that direction.

What is there to argue when quests can be completed as a group or solo?

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

I still enjoy the game. It's no more or less "grindy" then most other MMOs I've tried. The game world is beautiful still, and the story and side plots are actually pretty good. Many of the NPCs recur and develop at the higher levels. Some aspects are rather exhausting: the constant building, leveling, and reforging legendary items. But I guess the "reforge" mechanic echoes the lore.

For someone playing "free", then yeah... I guess there's a reliance on the cash shop. But... well, isn't that the point? For a subscriber, the games opened up. I chose a lifetime sub when the game launched. I've only paid for expansions since then. The monthly Turbine Points I get adds up quick to let me add bank slots, new mounts, etc.

With all the games currently out and on the horizon, I wouldn't suggest this to anyone though. But any fan of Tolkien or the movies will find enjoyment.

(On a side note - has the term "grindy" lost all of its original meaning now?)

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Anyone who complains about lotro pvp is the joke, the game was never about PVP.

Which was Turbines first mistake. PvP should have played a bigger role in the game. Instaed Monster Players were confined to a small area. The monsters played a key role in the books & movies but were basicly shafted in the game. I have been with LotRO since Alpha for Shadows. I stopped playing a few months ago and with the changes WB/Turbine has made I will not be returning to the game any time soon. I have returned to Rift and I have many Betas I am in so it is no big lose for me.

• keirionkeirion Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by Starbuck1771

Which was Turbines first mistake. PvP should have played a bigger role in the game. Instaed Monster Players were confined to a small area. The monsters played a key role in the books & movies but were basicly shafted in the game. I have been with LotRO since Alpha for Shadows. I stopped playing a few months ago and with the changes WB/Turbine has made I will not be returning to the game any time soon. I have returned to Rift and I have many Betas I am in so it is no big lose for me.

Having the PvP in the small area they did was actually already a strong stretch of their license. Open world Monster Play/PvP would have been downright breaking it, as much as Middle Earth Enterprises does like them.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Karahandras

LotRO was never a great game.

Middle Earth Online was a great game, made by passionate innovative devs.

LotRO was the result of scrapping most of the good content and dumping out a cheap WoW clone. The only real good aspects of LotRO are leftovers from MEO's development.

It was only a matter of time.

Have to agree with this, if it was so great it wouldn't have been a ghost town and had to go f2p.  But I agree with the analysis of the cash shop.

It wasn't a ghost town. It went F2P when WB got the company during the fall of Atari. WB was the worst choice as the new owners of Turbine inc. Just like EA shouldnt have gotten Bioware  from Atari because TOR is a total disgrace to the genre.

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128
    The thread suggests that at one point the game was worthwhile... which just isn't true.
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Lotto is just a terrible game from top to bottom & it always was, everything feels mediocre & stale. That said I quite enjoy D&DO. Even for Tolkien fans this game has very little to offer even if you drop cash on it.
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by Karahandras

LotRO was never a great game.

Middle Earth Online was a great game, made by passionate innovative devs.

LotRO was the result of scrapping most of the good content and dumping out a cheap WoW clone. The only real good aspects of LotRO are leftovers from MEO's development.

It was only a matter of time.

Have to agree with this, if it was so great it wouldn't have been a ghost town and had to go f2p.  But I agree with the analysis of the cash shop.

It wasn't a ghost town. It went F2P when WB got the company during the fall of Atari. WB was the worst choice as the new owners of Turbine inc. Just like EA shouldnt have gotten Bioware  from Atari because TOR is a total disgrace to the genre.

I don't think Atari has anything to do with Turbine or Bioware, EA bought Bioware from Elevation investment group and if I remember correctly, Turbine was an independent company before WB bought them.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012

Actually "no".

The "monsters" were all seen from the point of view from the main characters. You never saw any of the dark forces making decisions or musing about something or planning unless of course it was seen from and described by the main characters.

the whole set of books is seen from one side only.

this is not to say that a viable monster side couldn't be made and still fit the books but in the end "they lose". That's there "job" so to speak.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
This discussion has been closed.