Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Firefall: Open Beta is a Go

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Firefall has finally made it to open beta and we've got boots on the ground in game to give our readers the very latest (and greatest!) first impressions to be found. See what we discovered about Firefall and then head to the comments to discuss.

After lots of tries, I really think Red 5’s nailed this.  As I stated in last week’s piece on the “Miracle Patch”, you now gain experience for whatever Battleframe you’re wearing and can build them up accordingly.  Like Final Fantasy XI and XIV’s Job system, this is essentially playing one character with all of the classes available to you.  Firefall’s been doing this bit for a while, but with the return of enemy dropped loot and the simplification of the crafting materials system suddenly the mix of straight up experience gain and gear progression means so much more.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Firefall: Open Beta Is a Go.

Firefall can be really pretty, even when you’re almost dead.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Tried it out yesterday and quit after about 15 mins. Its not really clear what youre supposed to do or allowed to do in the game. Noobs need some direction and purpose, or at least steering into a group people to get an idea of what the point of the game is.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

yes- FireFall has been awesome- yes, with your typical first day mmo launch glitches here n there- the game has delivered for me as they spoken about within the past year.

they still have alot ahead of them- and now with the new player base feedback at hand they will sure have a busy year ahead- but the game is speaking for itself in result loud and clear!

pure fun sandbox!- and thats what mmos are all about! imo.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    Tried it out yesterday and quit after about 15 mins. Its not really clear what youre supposed to do or allowed to do in the game. Noobs need some direction and purpose, or at least steering into a group people to get an idea of what the point of the game is.

Really?  I found the tutorial for events, unlocking SIN locations, and all of that pretty handy.  Plus there's the main story and daily achievements.  The main thing I think needs more explanation is crafting.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

....an idea of what the point of the game is.

thats just a weird comment. youll need to elaborate on that one.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Really?  I found the tutorial for events, unlocking SIN locations, and all of that pretty handy.  Plus there's the main story and daily achievements.  The main thing I think needs more explanation is crafting.

It just didn't flow well. They drop you off in Copacabana and theres no real direction on how to start having fun. Went to a SIN think, hit E, but then what? WHat do the Devs want me to be doing exactly?

... The main thing I think needs more explanation is crafting.

yah- fortunately crafting will come to play later on in game, as your battleframe gets tarnished=which is a pretty brilliant idea.

but a quick run - 3 types of resources to collect:

gas- mineral-Organic = they build better gear. (theres a lot you can do with this)

crystite(cy) the blue rocks= is like the currency in the game.

xp= will unlock you battleframe to equip better gear!

the website goes over all this in detail. very much like eveonline= the game and site and community go hand in hand.

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

This is totaly different game i played 6 months ago. Looks like Devs are doing it all as it should be. They are fine rxsample of how you build a game that is getting better and better. To me Blizzard made a huge mistake leting this guy go or be sacked. Hope the game goes in the right direction, they have much clearer path now.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

This game is 2 years to late ...

Which is generally the problem in MMO development. It takes to long from idea to final product.

A concept that was amazingly original and innovative 5 years ago , is usually done to death when the game comes out. ( WAR -> Rift -> GW2 )

At the moment only EQN has originality advantage simply because nobody dared to make sandbox.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

As Bill has said -

WATCH THE TUTORIALS!

Its only fifteen minutes of your time and it really helps you to understand the game in ways that will benefit you as you become more involved. They really have pulled their ideas together into a neat bundle of fun. If you dont have that kind of time to spend learning about this sandbox then you probably dont really have time for any games atr all. Red 5 have definitely brought their game forward enough that its your loss not being involved.

Happily uninstalling Defiance, thanks Red 5.

It just didn't flow well. They drop you off in Copacabana and theres no real direction on how to start having fun. Went to a SIN think, hit E, but then what? WHat do the Devs want me to be doing exactly?

ah see here where mmo gamers may differ- when i played defiance and had that hologram girl waiting for me i thought- oh boy another wow.

here you explore hands on what you wanna do how you wanna do it u activate the sin the ares missions activate they give you one mission todo by oilspill guy and aereo speaks to you all the time informing you whats around togo and do-

not exclamation point on top of an npc head no quests requirement- that to me is refreshing. i mean perhaps if copacabana was beign invaded by arhanas when u arrive thatll give you an incentive- but every mmo has that..

i love that u get dropped in this town copa and start exploring at your own pace.

that to me is an open world eviromment!

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Which is generally the problem in MMO development. It takes to long from idea to final product.

A concept that was amazingly original and innovative 5 years ago , is usually done to death when the game comes out. ( WAR -> Rift -> GW2 )

At the moment only EQN has originality advantage simply because nobody dared to make sandbox.

You might be right but in EQN you cant shoot LAZERS PEW PEW..... and swords, daggers and wands are boring :D

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Chances are we are about too see why nobody dared. :)

• brindleburnbrindleburn Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I couldn't get past the first tutorial. Wasn't recognising my secondary weapon I just bought and took the vouchers so couldn't complete. It also kept having problems connecting to the SIN so will try again later in the week as it does look nice and I like the idea of being able to upgrade frames as a way to progress. 
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Only had 2hrs to try the game and so far I am not impressed.

I guess if you like shooters, e-sport (to come), battlegrounds alot, are satisfied with blowing things up and like F2P it can be an ok casual MMO.

Unfortunately blowing things up is not my main priority in MMOs, e-sport is a feature which imo has no place in MMORPGs anyway and I really don't like to be nickle and dimed all the time. I prefer B2B, P2P or F2P with option of a subscription.

The graphics also were not really my taste. Looks like a semi realistic cartoon style but for me they only looked cheap.

I am also not really sure why they call it a sandbox. So you can craft your equipment and blow up random enemy spawns. Maybe I just expect more from a sandbox. Maybe I missed something. As I said, hadn't much time yet, will probably take another look later on.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Can't please everyone. Everyone has an opinion different from the other. There is no perfect game for everyone, only for you.

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128
    Was on and off in closed beta... game is still pretty "meh".  Not terrible, definitely not inspiring either... just... "meh".
  • Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Most of the in game systems weren't working or extremely buggy yesterday which just left people even more confused. Many couldn't even log on most of the day, and then found they got stuck on the first quest when it froze and never updated.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Tried it and couldnt get past the graphics...

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Bad game remains bad even after pushing it into open beta.
  • RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

This game is not for the new generation gamers aka carebears.

find another game

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Not very patient of me but I quit during the crafting tutorial found it really confusing for what is supposed to be a easy going game.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    ^^ oh brother!!! Anytime I see "generation this" "generation that" I have to roll my eyes. Yes his comment is very carebearish but dont blaim an entire generation. There is this connotation in the work world that baby boomers are workaholics. Thats false! In fact baby boomers are mostly silverspoon fed from the greatest generation. The ones that put alot of time in work and claim to be workaholics mostly putz around all day and get done in 60 hours what someone that actually puts in an honest 40 does. Dont bring generational stereo types in, if hd found it confusing then so be it.

you had fun?= yes.

you had fun?= no.

thats all there is too it.

most likely the people who logged right off after 15minutes will prob never comeback to play it.  Red5 know where the voices need to be heard-

just becaouse its free it wasnt designed for you. and if it dosent meet your expectations it dosn t mean its a horrible game.

i can think of 3 titles that are currently in full release and dont even scale upto this game!

• hfamgamerhfamgamer Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Wait main storyline? What? guess I need to stop killing stuff to find this main storyline you speak of.
  • GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

Have to Agree with you 100% and Not to mention that the LAG is so bad at times, it's difficult to move