Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thank you Square Enix

2»

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by twrule
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

-snip-

I am willing to admit that I don't well know all the facts surrounding the legacy situation, as I did not take part in it. I'll just say this to clarify my general point for everyone (so as not single anyone out):

No matter how much any legacy player contributed to the development of the game, it gives none of them the right to self-importantly lord it over the heads of others. My post was a reaction to the "You should be grateful" rhetoric of the earlier posts.

Some purchased the game, some didn't. Some spent time on it, some chose not to. No one is obliged to pander to anyone else here. That's all there is to it.

Fair enough assertion right there.  We're all gamers, and in game we'll all be the same gamers, only with a (hopefully) cooperative tendency.  :)

Though one thing I would like to say -- so as to not excuse an outburst, but the general legacy crowd -- is that most of these people were used to a very close and nice community.  They started to get attacked on the Beta forums by people who really were jealous.  Not knowing how to deal with this, they simply defended themselves.  Most of the time whenever they bring up stuff like this, is stems from a provocation that otherwise wouldn't afford them a reason to.

Some of the stuff on the forums were pretty brutal.  People saying if they ever saw a legacy in game, instantly kick them out of a party.  Demanding SE take away all priviledges from Legacy members, etc.  It's hard not to defend oneself when backed into a corner.  All they did, after all, is play a game they most likely enjoyed playing with people they enjoyed playing with.  Though they are treated like they have the plague by certain individuals.

That all may translate over here whenever someone attacks legacy members as a whole (I.e. saying they're suckers).  It may not be handled in the best way, but there is a reason to the insanity.  It may even translate into a lack of faith in SE if they feel the need to defend themselves.  That so many outbursts may convince SE to dump legacy status.  Though again, they are from a multi-national culture that has been almost impossibly polite and most simply didn't know how to deal with personal attacks.  It's the only defense mechanism they have.

Most legacy members are incredibly nice in game and even on the forums.  Though still, some say even these people act all high an mighty just because they're always so nice and they learned not to let things get to them.

Here's a nice legacy website that's welcoming to everyone:

http://www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Did I miss a memo somewhere or is it really as simple as:

I'm not a legacy player so I can't roll on a legacy server and if you are a legacy player, you can't roll on a non-legacy server?

So, what's the big deal? I don't see the issue.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I'm not a legacy player so I can't roll on a legacy server and if you are a legacy player, you can't roll on a non-legacy server?

Non legacy can roll on a legacy server.  Legacy cannot role on a nonlegacy server until 6 months down the road when server transfers are available.

There is a compelling argument to be made for people who enjoy raiding and a stable economy to join a legacy server.  Many friends and family who decided not to play FFXIV 1.0 (and for good reason) will be rolling on legacy servers to be with their friends and family.

Originally posted by ZizouX

Non legacy can roll on a legacy server.  Legacy cannot role on a nonlegacy server until 6 months down the road when server transfers are available.

There is a compelling argument to be made for people who enjoy raiding and a stable economy to join a legacy server.  Many friends and family who decided not to play FFXIV 1.0 (and for good reason) will be rolling on legacy servers to be with their friends and family.

OK, but it's all still by choice right? Meaning. As a non legacy gamer, I can chose a realm where everyone starts fresh, or I can chose a realm where some are already established?

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

All these complaints against Legacy players can easily be reduced to:

"I am jealous they get to keep some stuff after having been loyal to the old FF14 while i have to start from 0"

And while i can (partly) relate to that "jealousy" (I would sure love to start with 2M gil xP) there´s no need to give them hell for it.

OK, but it's all still by choice right? Meaning. As a non legacy gamer, I can chose a realm where everyone starts fresh, or I can chose a realm where some are already established?

You have a choice.  Legacy players do not, unless they choose to start a brand new character on a Legacy server or non legacy, just like you.

If they choose to play on their Legacy character, they're stuck to a legacy server.

By the way,  Legacy has two definitions.

Legacy 1 - You paid for 3 months in 1.0 and now have a discount to your subscription and you have a Legacy Character.

Legacy 2 - You played in 1.0 and have a legacy character (played during the free period), but you didn't pay for 3 months, so you don't get the extra bonuses.   If you choose to use your legacy character, it will have to be on a legacy server.

You have a choice.  Legacy players do not, unless they choose to start a brand new character on a Legacy server or non legacy, just like you.

If they choose to play on their Legacy character, they're stuck to a legacy server.

Legacy 1 - You paid for 3 months in 1.0 and now have a discount to your subscription and you have a Legacy Character.

Legacy 2 - You played in 1.0 and have a legacy character (played during the free period), but you didn't pay for 3 months, so you don't get the extra bonuses.   If you choose to use your legacy character, it will have to be on a legacy server.

Then I absolutely do not see a problem with SQEENIX throwing 1.0 players a bone. But I have to be honest here. Even if I was a Legacy player, I would just start fresh on a new realm. It's a new game. I'd feel like I'd be losing out on the FF experience if I were to go the legacy route. But for those who did play, and were basically shut down, I've no problem at all with what they are doing. It only affects me if I want it to.

Then I absolutely do not see a problem with SQEENIX throwing 1.0 players a bone. But I have to be honest here. Even if I was a Legacy player, I would just start fresh on a new realm. It's a new game. I'd feel like I'd be losing out on the FF experience if I were to go the legacy route. But for those who did play, and were basically shut down, I've no problem at all with what they are doing. It only affects me if I want it to.

SE has really thought the situation through.  I know recently some people didn't like the idea that SE would allow Legacy players to transfer to new servers six months after release.  Someone on the beta forums pretty much made a thread about "don't over let new servers and legacy server mix, and how it would be the worst thing to his experience."

Then, the community quickly pointed out that new servers would have a majority of its population with multiple level 50s, just like a legacy player and the economy would be stabalized by that point.  A legacy player transferfing to a new server wouldn't change anything at all.

SE has really though through the situation and is trying to make all parties involved have a good experience.  And as for chooseing to start fresh on a new server even if you have a legacy character, many legacy players are going to do just that.  I prefer to transfer over mainly because I have a couple of crafting and gathering at 50 and those arn't as easy or fast to level.  Also, Legacy players also have Arcanist they can play at launch and experience the game from a lvl 1 perspective.  All in all, players have a lot of options and that's a good thing.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I didn't buy the original CE.  I had it pre-ordered, but didn't have the money at the time.  So a friend gave me a buddy code.  Played the game, didn't like what they did, saved money on the CE.

I purchased the current CE though.  I definitely like what they've done to "fix" the game.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity

SE has really thought the situation through.  I know recently some people didn't like the idea that SE would allow Legacy players to transfer to new servers six months after release.  Someone on the beta forums pretty much made a thread about "don't over let new servers and legacy server mix, and how it would be the worst thing to his experience."

Then, the community quickly pointed out that new servers would have a majority of its population with multiple level 50s, just like a legacy player and the economy would be stabalized by that point.  A legacy player transferfing to a new server wouldn't change anything at all.

SE has really though through the situation and is trying to make all parties involved have a good experience.  And as for chooseing to start fresh on a new server even if you have a legacy character, many legacy players are going to do just that.  I prefer to transfer over mainly because I have a couple of crafting and gathering at 50 and those arn't as easy or fast to level.  Also, Legacy players also have Arcanist they can play at launch and experience the game from a lvl 1 perspective.  All in all, players have a lot of options and that's a good thing.

This is no different back when WoW was still growing and adding servers all the time during TBC. They'd open a new server and not allow transfers in for a period of time. Then once the server matured for several months, they'd open them up for inbound transfers. I don't recall there was ever a server that was messed up because of that.

• RupskulRupskul Member Posts: 71

Thank YOU, OP ... Best thread ever. 

Folks remember that this is just a game, right?  If your fondest childhood memories involve a video game, I suggest you get outside a bit.  Make some new friends.  Do something else for a while.

Still.  This thread has given me more enjoyment than FFXIV 1.0 did, which I unceremoniously dumped it right when they added the monthly payment.  I feel good about that.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Rupskul

Folks remember that this is just a game, right?  If your fondest childhood memories involve a video game, I suggest you get outside a bit.  Make some new friends.  Do something else for a while.

Still.  This thread has given me more enjoyment than FFXIV 1.0 did, which I unceremoniously dumped it right when they added the monthly payment.  I feel good about that.

Perhaps, people actually talked with those friends about Final Fantasy?

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Perhaps, people actually talked with those friends about Final Fantasy?

hmmm .... Perhaps, but I stand by my comments.  This shouldn't be among fond childhood memories. 

I meant these were my fondest childhood memories of the games i played... not in my life.... period.

I guess something was lost in translation.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by monkeysoup
    I'm just happy to hear that for those individual who got the first Collectors edition doesn't need to buy anything, and will get the new in-game bonuses. new helm, mount head dress for your chocobo, and a cat mount for free.. probably forgot a couple of things but hey.. Thanks again. definitely going to sub when it goes live.

That's outstanding! I re-activated my old account from when i first bought the CE and am currently using it for beta. Is there anyway to make sure it shows me with the CE edition? I will have to log into the site and look again. 

Thanks!

I meant these were my fondest childhood memories of the games i played... not in my life.... period.

I guess something was lost in translation.

Fair enough!  This whole back and forth really made me laugh though. 

And for the record, I was a huge FFXI fan as well and as video games go, it's my fondest as well.  Great times trying to get to Jeuno, etc.  Hoping XIV recaptures that magic, but I'm getting too old and impateint, so I doubt it!  lol