Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Negative hype from media outlets

Comments

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    TESO will be a good game, but it will be a poor MMO. Just my opinion, but there it is.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

What's more important about that video if you have watched gamebreaker in the past is that they were all high on TESO, until recently.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Well, they can't appeal to both markets. They have to pick one, and the TES market is probably the market that is more of a known quantity. I mean, if you're going to pick a market, are you going to pick the one that's established and defined, or the one that complains about everything that exists, everything that doesn't exist, and mostly plays WoW?

lol, thanks for my morning laugh. I agree.  

Currently bored with MMO's.

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    It all looks prettty amazing to me.
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Originally posted by jimprouner
    Originally posted by superconducting

Congratulations! Now we all know to listen carefully to what you say and think EXACTLY the opposite.

Seriously, never seen somebody so glad to discredit themselves entirely...

Skyrim is such a cultural stable fad that merely insulting it is a social taboo.  Its like Apple computers, JFK ,or Marilyn Monroe.  People religiously defend it, but they don't know why.  They might even be completely ignorant of the subject, but they will still defend it with anything they have, which is usually insults.

TESO in a nutshell,

GW2 set in Tamriel.

If Skyrim is not to your liking or your type of game, fine, I'm OK with that. What I'm NOT OK with is painting it out to be a total disaster and showing such utter disrespect it makes you want to laugh. When you say stuff like what you said, your credibility immediately vanishes and you essentially disqualify yourself from the discussion. So here's a little hint for life: if you want people to take you more seriously, try not to sound like a troll next time.

• jimprounerjimprouner Member Posts: 142

Congratulations! Now we all know to listen carefully to what you say and think EXACTLY the opposite.

Skyrim is such a cultural stable fad that merely insulting it is a social taboo.  Its like Apple computers, JFK ,or Marilyn Monroe.  People religiously defend it, but they don't know why.  They might even be completely ignorant of the subject, but they will still defend it with anything they have, which is usually insults.

TESO in a nutshell,

GW2 set in Tamriel.

If Skyrim is not to your liking or your type of game, fine, I'm OK with that. What I'm NOT OK with is painting it out to be a total disaster and showing such utter disrespect it makes you want to laugh. When you say stuff like what you said, your credibility immediately vanishes and you essentially disqualify yourself from the discussion. So here's a little hint for life: if you want people to take you more seriously, try not to sound like a troll next time.

You are a perfect example!

Here read this again,

That is you, defending Skyrim tooth and nail.  You act as if I offended your sister or something.  At least that I could respect, but not this.  This is just a game, and you have to realize and accept there are differences of opinion. 

TESO in a nutshell,

GW2 set in Tamriel.

Here read this again,

That is you, defending Skyrim tooth and nail.  You act as if I offended your sister or something.  At least that I could respect, but not this.  This is just a game, and you have to realize and accept there are differences of opinion. 

I'm not defending Skyrim. Did you even read what I said? I said "If Skyrim is not to your liking or your type of game, fine, I'm OK with that."

I also never took offense when you made insulting statements. Why would I care what 1 person thinks?

What I do have a problem with is how you went about making the point that you thought it sucks. If you think it sucks, fine, say that. Instead you chose to say things like you wanted your dog to shit on it or whatever. So once again, if you want to retain some level of credibility please don't say retarded things like that.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Tierless

Who still thinks it has a chance? They basically admitted they took the TOR route and built a single player game then tacked on some MMO.

Not a chance in hell given the direction they are taking the game.  Sad too because it had the potential to be 1 of the best Themepark MMO's with open exploration centric content since forever.  Now it's going the route that has doomed the likes of Rift, SWTOR, AoC, Aion and others.

LOL you have no idea what you are talking about. This game will have exploration, not as open as Vanguard or single player Skyrim, but def open compared to many other MMOs. Can you please stop pulling stuff out of your #@! and stop baiting? Every game you mentioned hasn't shut down or have been going on for years so get a clue.

You can walk around or explore in any MMO, so WTF are you talking about?

Im not going to debate with someone who doesn't comprehend the difference between walking around and exploring. Very sad.

There Is Always Hope!

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Azz what mmo do you play and enjoy atm, I am curious?
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Didn't play Skyrim because it didn't have a tutorial... HAHAHAHAHA!!!

That is both the saddest and funniest thing I have seen typed in these forums in ages.

ESO is now on my radar simply because it ticked off a stupid guy.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Velocinox

That is both the saddest and funniest thing I have seen typed in these forums in ages.

I love games with no tutorial, that is half the journey... I like to figure the game out on my own. I was never a fan of walk through's for games. I have never used one since I have become a gaming enthusiast.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193

Well, they can't appeal to both markets. They have to pick one, and the TES market is probably the market that is more of a known quantity. I mean, if you're going to pick a market, are you going to pick the one that's established and defined, or the one that complains about everything that exists, everything that doesn't exist, and mostly plays WoW?

This ^

And sorry, but ''console kiddies'' ( those that are NOT between 12 and 17 and playing exclusively CoD,etc ) are a way better community than the MMO (read whiny little b****es never happy about ANYTHING) community - which I'm sometimes ashamed to be part of...

And yes, I play MMOs and I am all for the PC (also buying a PS4), but seriously it's going to be Elder Scrolls ONLINE before Elder Scrolls MMO, it's as simple as that and I think it's a good thing.

Originally posted by keithia

Im not going to debate with someone who doesn't comprehend the difference between walking around and exploring. Very sad.

Walking around new areas = Exploring

Yah, so how are they different?  In what game does this not exist?

TESO in a nutshell,

GW2 set in Tamriel.

Here read this again,

I'm not defending Skyrim. Did you even read what I said? I said "If Skyrim is not to your liking or your type of game, fine, I'm OK with that."

I also never took offense when you made insulting statements. Why would I care what 1 person thinks?

What I do have a problem with is how you went about making the point that you thought it sucks. If you think it sucks, fine, say that. Instead you chose to say things like you wanted your dog to shit on it or whatever. So once again, if you want to retain some level of credibility please don't say retarded things like that.

Again, that is part of my point.  You don't even know you are defending it.  Its so intertwined into your being, that you can't think rationally when it is offended.   You are completely brainwashed. 

Originally posted by deveilblad

This ^

And sorry, but ''console kiddies'' ( those that are NOT between 12 and 17 and playing exclusively CoD,etc ) are a way better community than the MMO (read whiny little b****es never happy about ANYTHING) community - which I'm sometimes ashamed to be part of...

And yes, I play MMOs and I am all for the PC (also buying a PS4), but seriously it's going to be Elder Scrolls ONLINE before Elder Scrolls MMO, it's as simple as that and I think it's a good thing.

That is exactly what a console kiddie would think. 

What selfish brat would bum their mum for a $600 low end PC that isn't really good for anything else.   Then you have to pay $60 a pop for games.  And every console kiddie has a whole shelf full!

TESO in a nutshell,

GW2 set in Tamriel.

Here read this again,

Again, that is part of my point.  You don't even know you are defending it.  Its so intertwined into your being, that you can't think rationally when it is offended.   You are completely brainwashed. 

This is me refusing to dignify your absolutely absurd post with a proper response.... See you Later buddy

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Azz what mmo do you play and enjoy atm, I am curious?

Until recently Neverwinter, waiting on the Module 1 and hopefully *crosses finger* New Ranger Class.  Spending more time playing through Skyrim, Walking Dead, Cubeworld and ACM'ing (attended combat bot macroing) in Asheron's Call.

I tried to play EQ2, Dragon's Prophet (will be good once the bugs get worked out)  Also tried going back to GW2 and TSW but no dice there.  (not till they release a dungeon finder)

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by deveilblad

This ^

Said by fans of SWTOR and any other failed MMO over the last 6 or 7 years.  You can not make an Elder Scrolls Online game and remove all the features that make an Elder Scrolls game fun and rewarding.  Like killing NPC's, placing baskets over shopkeepers heads and robbing them blind, Dragging the bodies of your slain and placing them in akward buyt funny poses, rolling 10,00 cabbages and cheese wheels down the side of the Throat of the World, or heres another, mod new armor skins and weapons skins into the game, try out new combat mods, or mod in general (that's where the majority of the longevity of Skyrim comes from once the main story line is done)  Or how about decorate a house, amass a library of the 800+ books in Skyrim.  There is so many things in the single player game that can't be done in an MMO because of the A, the persistence, B, the rendering and latency issue and C, the inability to grief.

Look at those things, that is only a partial list on why ESO will not be any online Skyrim!!!!!! Please get this through your skull, in order for an online MMO to work it must contain ideals, systems and philosophies that work on a grand scale and on a persistent scale therefore you need systems and ideals not found in a single player game that encompasses many and varied play styles.  When a studios refuses to understand that you need to replace all those things from the single player experience with ideals and systems that work for an MMO experience and do not do so, they run the risk of creating another failed MMO.  Call it an Elder Scrolls game but online all you want but you will, trust me when I say, get bored because it lacks things your used to having In the single player experience and nothing was added to replace it hence the need for the MMO version to have many and varied systems in place just as robust and fun as the single player experience.  Right now ESO does not have that, all it has is combat, questing and character progression......it is missing the little things that make an MMO alive, rewarding, thrilling and promotes longevity.

Read this, understand this, your vision is blinded by things you do not know of.  If you want to have the best online version of Elder Scrolls, it needs to have the best MMO features to replace those systems and design principles that can't possibly be placed in the online version.  This is the crux of my argument and it is one that is beyond debate because I have 6-7 years of failed MMO design on my side, those same failed MMO designs thought they could get away with the same type of skimping of systems that you are now advocating for in the online version of Elder Scrolls.  What you need to advocate for is the best  ELDER SCROLLS MMO, period, cut and dry, no debate, no argument.  And if you do not, then do not come crying to these forums 3-6 months post release of ESO wondering what went wrong when thousands of us MMO enthusiasts have had tied to make you understand.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Hahhns
    many of these comments come from people who are not beta testing. The group is small but the feel is TES all the way. You have to give it frigging time guys it is a year away and they have almost a year of beta to go .

Actually Scott and Gary both played the game and even though they skirted around the issue and tried to remain optimistic they pointed out obvious faults with the game design.  I haven't played the game but I have been playing MMO's for 14+ year and I can spot the signs of mediocrity when I see it.  Hopefully you're right though and the year they have left on development will make the game good, surely if anyone wants it to succeed it's me.

SWTOR felt like a Knight of the Republic game, but the over-use of instancing and the method of storytelling that required everything be done just so, with little to no leeway in method of delivery made the game feel more like a single player game than an MMO with a living, breathing world.  It worries me that many of the reviews seem to only focus on the "feels like an elder scrolls game" with little input, let alone positive input about how social and 'MMO like' the game is.  This is exactly the way the reviews went with SWTOR and the game suffered as a result of such one sided feedback.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by Velocinox

I love games with no tutorial, that is half the journey... I like to figure the game out on my own. I was never a fan of walk through's for games. I have never used one since I have become a gaming enthusiast.

Especially in a game like Skyrim. A tutorial would have ruined the immersion.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Iselin

THE HORROR! It's barbaric!

Thanks for linking a one month old video...again. And let's ignore all the best of E3 awards from places like Digital Trends (best MMO,) Game Critics Awards (best RPG,) Game Informer (best MMO,) IGN (best MMO,) etc. They've obviously all been paid-off and, as everyone in the internet knows, we here at mmorpg.com know what's best.

Gloom and doom threads are always the best for shock value and attracting the masses...just ask the Fox News editorial staff.

6 months ago I said "let's wait for release"
    3 months ago I said "let's wait for release"
    1 month ago I said "let's wait for release"

Guess what I'm saying today?

But hey, at least you're pulling some attention away from the EQ Next forums today.

LOL. I remember all the 'Best Of...' awards another game got before it was launched.

That game was SWTOR.

Oh, and we waited until launch and then launch came and it was precisely as bad as we said it would be.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by noncley

Thanks for linking a one month old video...again. And let's ignore all the best of E3 awards from places like Digital Trends (best MMO,) Game Critics Awards (best RPG,) Game Informer (best MMO,) IGN (best MMO,) etc. They've obviously all been paid-off and, as everyone in the internet knows, we here at mmorpg.com know what's best.

Gloom and doom threads are always the best for shock value and attracting the masses...just ask the Fox News editorial staff.

But hey, at least you're pulling some attention away from the EQ Next forums today.

LOL. I remember all the 'Best Of...' awards another game got before it was launched.

That game was SWTOR.

Oh, and we waited until launch and then launch came and it was precisely as bad as we said it would be.

Sure it's all hype and most of it half-cocked hype from morons who don't get that nothing has changed except who they're concentrating their pitch on (hint--Skyrim players.) Any idiot knows that ALL themeparks can be soloed. But when Zmax said that you can play ESO like a single player game...hey queue the thunderclap...  the sky fell and chicken little got squashed.

The only point in linking counterhype is to show the idiocy of it all.

This game will suck or not. We'll know next spring...except you of course because you already know... must be nice to be that certain about shit you know nothing about...nice stress-free life...LOL.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

That game was SWTOR.

Sure it's all hype and most of it half-cocked hype from morons who don't get that nothing has changed except who they're concentrating their pitch on (hint--Skyrim players.) Any idiot knows that ALL themeparks can be soloed. But when Zmax said that you can play ESO like a single player game...hey queue the thunderclap...  the sky fell and chicken little got squashed.

This game will suck or not. We'll know next spring...except you of course because you already know... must be nice to be that certain about shit you know nothing about...nice stress-free life...LOL.

Sure, maybe if all they said was most of the game can be solo'd, then I could buy that as still within the boundary of MMOs.  But we both know they said, and implied a lot more than that.  They went on to say things like "This is more a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game than an MMO."   You can't just ignore all these quotes!   The message is clear.  This is Skyrim online, and not a real MMO.

I know it sucks.  I was hoping for a real MMO too, but that isn't what we are getting.  Time to face facts brother.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

That game was SWTOR.

Sure, maybe if all they said was most of the game can be solo'd, then I could buy that as still within the boundary of MMOs.  But we both know they said, and implied a lot more than that.  They went on to say things like "This is more a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game than an MMO."   You can't just ignore all these quotes!   The message is clear.  This is Skyrim online, and not a real MMO.

I know it sucks.  I was hoping for a real MMO too, but that isn't what we are getting.  Time to face facts brother.

The thing is that they changed nothing and overnight they started promoting the "single player experience" crap. If the new hype campaign had been accompanied by a change or two, I could buy that they were redesigning, But they changed nothing but their spin. I watched for that.

That leads me to believe that all we're seeing is a new marketing campaign spin to try to attract non-MMOers. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

That game was SWTOR.

The thing is that they changed nothing and overnight they started promoting the "single player experience" crap. If the new hype campaign had been accompanied by a change or two, I could buy that they were redesigning, But they changed nothing but their spin. I watched for that.

That leads me to believe that all we're seeing is a new marketing campaign spin to try to attract non-MMOers. 

Except we weren't even going to get raids at the start, so it pretty much was a single player game with some dungeons.  Then consoles announcement comes, and they start hyping single player.   I can't help but to think they hadn't done much or any work on the end game group content anyways.  Thus, they don't have to redesign much of anything, as they hadn't done it, and these announcements lead me to believe they wont.