Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you guys ever feel guilty for playing F2P MMOS and not spending a dime?

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Loke666

Just vote with your money. If you love something but never pay anything you don't really have the right to complain if they change it or close it down.

Nah .. there is free speech in this country. You always have the right to whine, but the devs have the right to ignore you.

then why is Justin Carter still in jail facing up to 8 years in prison for a bad joke comment on facebook? The FoS is quickly fading away in this country. We started to see beginnings of dictatorship for a while now.

• CalibanvovCalibanvov Member UncommonPosts: 192

I've been helping out Trion a lot between Rift and Defiance,  but I havnt paid for NW yet.  The $20 for a char slot, bag slot, is just too steep.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Just vote with your money. If you love something but never pay anything you don't really have the right to complain if they change it or close it down.

Nah .. there is free speech in this country. You always have the right to whine, but the devs have the right to ignore you.

then why is Justin Carter still in jail facing up to 8 years in prison for a bad joke comment on facebook? The FoS is quickly fading away in this country. We started to see beginnings of dictatorship for a while now.

Yes, someone threatening to shoot up a kindergarten and watch the blood rain down is someone we should all pity and should be used to represent the lack of free speech.

Oh yeah, death threats are a serious thing and can result in being tossed in jail to protect others. Just thought you might want to know that. It would clearly be better to ignore all death threats because some moron doesn't know what not to joke about and allow all the more serious ones to end in someone's death instead.

He's also currently in jail because he is awaiting trial where he could be proven innocent and let go. There is a bond option, he just can't afford it. But overall your statements show a gross misunderstanding of how laws work and an exaggeration that there is no FoS because of this one douche.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Because he didn't only whine about MMOs?

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

"Do you guys ever feel guilty for playing F2P MMOS and not spending a dime?"

No guilt.  I think of f2p as an unlimited trial.  If I like what they have and they update often I will invest.  

I might spend more on the f2p than what I would a p2p if I really like what they have - pets usually.

I'm not a gambler so I don't pay for any "chance to have" items.  I refuse to buy anything limited with an expiration timer.  I will not play pay-to-advance games like Dungeons and Dragons Online even tho I loved that game to death.  In other words I had better be able to advance just as easily as a paying player does or I'll quit your f2p.

I also will not use a credit card online for ANY reason.  No game card no purchases.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Lol now this is a funny thread.

Shows how many have no clue what FREE TO PLAY means. These are not little kids were talking about. They are men and women working hard yes yet not one (that I know of) has ever wanted one person to feel guilty if you never spend a dime.

One were talking REAL MONEY and guilt. We have over 25,000 children die each day and I know most of us never give it a second thought. So trust me the devs here will be ok.

So expect something for your money.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

If I spend money on a F2P game, it is because I have enjoyed the game and see myself continuing to enjoy the game.  If I do not spend money on a F2P game, it is because the game was bad and I do not bother to continue playing said game.

If you really enjoy a F2P game and get a great deal of enjoyment out of it, support the company.  The employees have to get payed somehow.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by whisperwynd
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Nope.

And guilt should not be felt at all here. Why not spend your paycheck on World Vision or Unicef or charities like that if your conscience is bothering you.

Real issues of the world take a back seat but those poor devs offering a free game where, and this is the kicker...should you wish to, spend real money to buy something and support them to your heart's content is worthy of guilt for those not buying anything?!

Why not just come out and say to those who pay nothing, "Shame on you, you selfish ingrates!" because in the end, are you really trying to gauge what posters here think to assuage your own feelings or is it a confirmation of an already established conviction?!

Morally aware indeed...

And you know how i don't do my part with real issues in the world? you don't know me and i have no reason to plug my contribution to social causes here on gaming forums.

I see that you love to assume a lot about people. My reply about being more morally aware has nothing to do with calling you a selfish ingrates. If that is how you felt then i can assure you the problem is with you , don't try to project your own thoughts on me and try to twist the meaning of my post. No idea why you are so bitter though.

Then pray explain what you meant by 'Morally aware' if not to disassociate yourself from those opposite of that?

I don't assume anything, i go with what is there. If you wish not to be called out on something, define it better then there wouldn't be any misunderstandings. I can respect one's point of view even if i don't agree with it. Just be concise.

My 'problem' is seeing people seemingly present themselves or their ideals as the only viable way to be. The world is too diverse to be have only one way of being, thinking, acting. If that's really what you weren't doing then of course I apologize. Understand though that it can be construed as such.

I'm not bitter. I love a good discussion, so long as it doesn't degrade into squabbles and condescension.

You go with what? from those two words somehow you know me and about my personal life?

I am on gaming forums talking about games. Please tell me why would i start talking about my contribution and involvements in social causes? 

As far as being more morally aware, i already explained it in earlier post. For me i feel i am taking advantage of someones hard work by not contributing  as little as 15 bucks if i had thousands of hours of fun out of something. I would do the same for any other product whether it is games, music or movies. Everything is easily avilable for consumption and that too for free in this age of internet but if i enjoy something it is my way of saying thank you and supporting the hard work of people involved in making of these products.

Way to overreact man and trying to twist my post into something it wasn't. Stop taking everything so damn personally. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

You go with what? from those two words somehow you know me and about my personal life?

I am on gaming forums talking about games. Please tell me why would i start talking about my contribution and involvements in social causes? 

As far as being more morally aware, i already explained it in earlier post. For me i feel i am taking advantage of someones hard work by not contributing  as little as 15 bucks if i had thousands of hours of fun out of something. I would do the same for any other product whether it is games, music or movies. Everything is easily avilable for consumption and that too for free in this age of internet but if i enjoy something it is my way of saying thank you and supporting the hard work of people involved in making of these products.

Way to overreact man and trying to twist my post into something it wasn't. Stop taking everything so damn personally. 

First, nowhere did I request for you to explain about your contributions in social causes, way to read something not there. I don't care about your personal life, just what you posted about the guilt feeling towards F2P games.

Second, saying you wish to pay back into a company because you feel they deserve it is fine. More than fine, you certainly did not need to add that it was because you were 'maybe morally aware'. Again, it can be seen as insulting to those who feel no guilt at not giving any money. Just saying. It does seem however that it is you overreacting here as I did not attack you and even apologized in the event that it wasn't a condescending remark on your part.

Thirdly, I'm not taking it personal and did not twist anything you said. Hope this clarifies things.

Cheers!

I don't see a problem taking advantage of devs who want to give me free stuff. it is not like they are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

I don't see a problem taking advantage of devs who want to give me free stuff. it is not like they are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

There is a saying: "You get what you pay for".

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Not at all because F2P games tend to dupe players all the time.  NW is a perfect example.  Founder's pack no way near qualified the price but people were buying em left n right because it had the Twarpzzit race or beta access.  Then there were massive amounts of chargebacks that mods had to make posts on in hopes to deter some chargebacks.  Then there was everywhere you looked it was Zen this Zen than or AD this AD that that was way too intrusive on a pos game.

I have very low tolerance for games that use deceptive tactics to generate revenue where they charge you every little thing and it's become a Pay 2 Enjoy.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by theAsna

Actually in this case he's getting what others pay for.

Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by theAsna

Actually in this case he's getting what others pay for.

Exactly. I have my free fun. Whales have p2w. Devs have money. A win-win-win for all.

Originally posted by furbans

Not at all because F2P games tend to dupe players all the time.  NW is a perfect example.  Founder's pack no way near qualified the price but people were buying em left n right because it had the Twarpzzit race or beta access.  Then there were massive amounts of chargebacks that mods had to make posts on in hopes to deter some chargebacks.  Then there was everywhere you looked it was Zen this Zen than or AD this AD that that was way too intrusive on a pos game.

I have very low tolerance for games that use deceptive tactics to generate revenue where they charge you every little thing and it's become a Pay 2 Enjoy.

I would not want the word "dupe". It is not like they lie about the Twarpzzit race or beta access. If they can sell nothing for money, without lying, more power to them.

Actually i play NWO a bit .. there is no need to pay even a dime to enjoy it.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I used to feel guilty until I saw how much some people spend in the stores.  They make more than their share of money a lot fo the time.  One game I played, a guy in my guild spend almost 1k in the game store.  I think the game was Long or something like that.
  • SeloSelo Member UncommonPosts: 108

most "f2p" games (not counting nw and non mmos like lol) are very competative oriented, like the browser mmos such as Wartune etc.

To be competative in those, you need to spend thousand and thousand of dollars. Its quite insane.

If anyone tried Business Tycoon Online, they had achievements for spending 100k dollars XD

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

In a ftp game, you are providing a valuable resource....you're part of the game's playerbase, helping them avoid the dreaded 'No one plays this any more...' complaint.   They should pay you...  ;)

If I really like a ftp game, I will eventually spend something, to reward them for it being fun.  Especially if they don't have an abusive cash shop.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It really depends. If I'm playing an F2P game that has an obnoxiously greedy cash shop, then no I will not feel guilty. It all depends on who made it and how much I play it and how the cash shop is set up. If it's pay to win, and I'm enjoying it and not needing to spend money then no I will not pay a dime on that and I won't feel any guilt whatsoever. If it's made by some indie company, and it's free, and I've spent countless hours in it, I'll most likely spend money because I feel like they need it, and they have earned it. The only way I will spend money in a pay to win game is if it is made by an indie company, and I've spent enough time playing it to know the game is worth it.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Sure, you can spend nothing. But don't complain when that company falls on hard times. Don't complain when fewer and fewer games start to be published. Why not support the games that give you enjoyment?

Because whales are doing that just fine, and there are more important things to spend money on than F2P MMOs?

This is incredibly short sighted.  This mentality forces producers to cater sales to the whales along with devs who make systems that cater to whales.  It only furthers the pay to win mentality which is bad for any game (unless you are a whale and want to have all the power).

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185

I have had thousands of hours worth of fun lately playing games like NW, STO and AION. More than i ever had while playing sub MMOS. But i felt bad for not spending a dime and felt really cheap and thought it is like taking advantage of someone's hard work.  After all these devs don't work for free and have bills to pay and their families to take care of. 

Was i being selfish? cheap? (i did spend some money in cash shop of Aion and bought some zen for STO / NW just to show my support)

I did feel guilty. I played LotR:O completely free for a number of months and gave them a donation afterwards because I felt it was completely unfair of me to do so.

• Dixi01Dixi01 Member UncommonPosts: 54

Very rarely I think that "it could be nice to donate a little, since the game is good". But most of time I'm not completely satisfied by the game so the question about payment do not appear in my mind.

I very rarely use payed services in F2P games. Usually none at all. Sometimes I pay once for skill respec or character transfer.

In whole I miss good subscription based MMORPGs like in old times much more.

In last years market is flooded by F2P games of less then average quality - and that's a problem.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    If I am enjoying the game and feel that it's worth my money I put a little bit in even if I don't really need to. Having said that I don't often put money into MMOs.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

First, nowhere did I request for you to explain about your contributions in social causes, way to read something not there. I don't care about your personal life, just what you posted about the guilt feeling towards F2P games.

Second, saying you wish to pay back into a company because you feel they deserve it is fine. More than fine, you certainly did not need to add that it was because you were 'maybe morally aware'. Again, it can be seen as insulting to those who feel no guilt at not giving any money. Just saying. It does seem however that it is you overreacting here as I did not attack you and even apologized in the event that it wasn't a condescending remark on your part.

Thirdly, I'm not taking it personal and did not twist anything you said. Hope this clarifies things.

Cheers!

Quoting your earlier post..

And guilt should not be felt at all here. Why not spend your paycheck on World Vision or Unicef or charities like that if your conscience is bothering you.

Real issues of the world take a back seat but those poor devs offering a free game where, and this is the kicker...should you wish to, spend real money to buy something and support them to your heart's content is worthy of guilt for those not buying anything?!

I think it is self explanatory isn't it? like i said don't assume what i do or not do outside of these gaming forums. You don't know how much i contribute to charities and i have no reason to mention it here on gaming forums.

I added morally aware because someone asked me the reason why i was feeling bad or selfish. For him how i felt was just stupid and hence i explained why. By the way if i was overreacting i would start assuming about your personal life which i didn't. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Sure, you can spend nothing. But don't complain when that company falls on hard times. Don't complain when fewer and fewer games start to be published. Why not support the games that give you enjoyment?

Because whales are doing that just fine, and there are more important things to spend money on than F2P MMOs?

This is incredibly short sighted.  This mentality forces producers to cater sales to the whales along with devs who make systems that cater to whales.  It only furthers the pay to win mentality which is bad for any game (unless you are a whale and want to have all the power).

Also not unless you are a free player and move on to another game before hitting the pay wall.

Yes, it is shorted sighted. I am not looking to play these games for years. There will be plenty of new games.