Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall please go back to alpha state

gotcha89gotcha89 Member UncommonPosts: 34
So yeah played Firefall open beta and like 90% of the people who played it are stuck at the first quest. how is this possible?

Comments

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Luckily I did the starter quests at like 3 AM when it wasnt too clustered, although there was still a good amount of people
  • Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187

At least you have made it that far. I still can't get pass the loading screen.

Oh well, I guess back to Rift it is.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by gotcha89
    So yeah played Firefall open beta and like 90% of the people who played it are stuck at the first quest. how is this possible?

Its possible because the software (client/server) is some of the most complex that exists. Its possible because this is still beta, and that means there WILL be bugs (see complexity remark).  Its possible because even with a good sized team, there is a limit to the amount of complex detail work that can be done, and then tested and redone (repeat until the majority of major and minor errors have been corrected) in a given period of time.

Finally, its possible when the major investor sets a dead line, which has to be met, or Bad Things happen.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Took me forever to create my character but I'm chalking that up to a lot of ppl hitting the server with requests.

Login -> Waiting for reply flashes and disappears a ton

Create Chracter - Waiting for reply flashes and disappears a ton

After I finish creating my character I get a cinematic. Then go back to the character screen and it says waiting on reply. I wait a few minutes and get back in. Not sure if that was normal but it seemed odd. I probably missed something that led me there.

I finish the tutorial and now stare at a FireFall splash screen Stage 1 v0.7.1667 for 10 minutes.

Close game. 

The tutorial seemed fun so if it is F2P maybe I'll try again on release. I hope they get it going because I am no fan of shooters but it seemed fun as I mentioned =)

Hopefully there are tons of people and that's what held me from getting in :)

Edit: Added "Stage 1"

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    I got stuck in character creation for ages, which allowed me to appreciate how crap the customization options are.  
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Just a heads up, this game is NOT based on quests.

The starter quests are literally there as a tutorial. That's it. Don't expect to be playing this game like another quest grinder, you can skip the quests entirely and not suffer for it.

- Essentially (in it's current state) Firefall plays like a sandbox. Everything is crafted, there aren't really any quests, and you go out hunting for resources / defending outposts. That's how it's meant to be played in its current state. Whether that's your cup of tea is entirely up to you.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by aesperus

Just a heads up, this game is NOT based on quests.

The starter quests are literally there as a tutorial. That's it. Don't expect to be playing this game like another quest grinder, you can skip the quests entirely and not suffer for it.

- Essentially (in it's current state) Firefall plays like a sandbox. Everything is crafted, there aren't really any quests, and you go out hunting for resources / defending outposts. That's how it's meant to be played in its current state. Whether that's your cup of tea is entirely up to you.

Mostly correct. There are gear awards for some missions/events and the five day log in reward. Not to mention gear drops from killing hostiles.  But at this point, its mostly running various missions,events and resource collection (thumping).  You don't really have to craft, if you do not wish to, but the best gear is to be had that way.

At this point, they are working to smooth out the various issues involved in many complex subsystems working together.  Thats time/talent consuming.  I see a lot of potential in the game, and hope things get sorted out over the days and weeks to come.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • hfamgamerhfamgamer Member UncommonPosts: 64
    I just want to thank you wraithone. It's nice to see a level headed person posting on here.
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    So bugged I can't even get in game.

Just as a note, I tried logging in again and it would just flash "waiting for reply". I changed my graphics from very high to very low and bam everything connects and I can log in and play.

So if you're having lots of issues change the graphics settings and try again.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Strange, I'll have to try again since when I played earlier I didn't have any problems. Maybe something has cropped up since then.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

As someone else mentioned when I try to hand in my currencies which allows me to upgrade my equipment (an important feature I would assume) I get SIN Error Reload/Cancel.

So I cannot upgrade as of yet

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701
    This game is in Open Beta yet feels more like it is in alpha or closed. No excuse for this cluster f*** of core systems not working. Next time stress test your servers.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

It may be a sandbox and you may not need to do most quests, but it is incredibly aggravating that you can't even unlock upgrades or equip secondaries and so on.

My advice to developers who have games in this state . . . do not, under any circumstances open to the public. Red 5 now look bad and many of us won't be coming by a second time just to see if it's been fixed because new games are coming out or going into open beta all the time. So if you don't hook people right away, you might not have another chance at them for quite some time.

I did just say, f- it and started running around the world to find things to shoot at. Engine is very smooth and the world/animations are all well done. It's a shame it's such a shallow experience when you can't actually participate in any of the customization/character building that's available due to broken buggy poopsicles.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Yikes! SIN's a bit of a mess at the moment. Hope they can fix 'er up soon because I really like the look of this game and how fluid and customizeable everything is. Sooo neat!
  • andredocandredoc Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Originally posted by Lexin
    This game is in Open Beta yet feels more like it is in alpha or closed. No excuse for this cluster f*** of core systems not working. Next time stress test your servers.

Mr, don't be that stupid.

Why do you think there is an Open Beta?

Go think about that for a bit.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by andredoc

FFXIV:ARR is about to be in open beta probably within a few weeks

Everquest Next is probably going to start closed beta a week or two after the games full reveal at SOE Live since they intend to release the game this year

My problem with this game is the mindnumbing (and complicating to new players) crafting. The end game is thumping anddoing an ARES if you get pretty bored. Am I mistaken?

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by hMJem
    Originally posted by andredoc

FFXIV:ARR is about to be in open beta probably within a few weeks

Everquest Next is probably going to start closed beta a week or two after the games full reveal at SOE Live since they intend to release the game this year

My problem with this game is the mindnumbing (and complicating to new players) crafting. The end game is thumping anddoing an ARES if you get pretty bored. Am I mistaken?

Don't think you are.  From what I have gathered playing it is its the same thing over and over just to do more of the same.

You do thumping for resources, refine it, get whats required to up your suite then rinse and repeat till your done with your suite.  Then you can do it all over again with another suite.   BUT to make the game take a bit longer they add a real time crafting timer that you can pay to skip.  Quick and easy money grab that people don't seem to like to admit when you talk about it in area chat.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Honestly I would also call it Alpha, but I have had only had one trouble loggin in, the rest has been great fun and addicting game play.

I hope the devs get the bugs worked out, this game is worth a try.