Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Making Mounts Matter

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In today's vast MMO worlds, mounts and their efficacy, are vital to most players. In our latest Elder Scrolls Online column, we take a look at ways the dev team can make mounts matter and important. Read on and then leave your ideas in the comments.

Mounts are one of those things that few games have ever really paid much more attention to other than to make them cool looking and fast.  If we’re talking about a F2P game, then you can add in the special caveat of “make them expensive as hell” too.  Remember the cost of mounts in Neverwinter? Did anyone shell out $35 for one of those?  Yeesh.  Well, whether ESO goes the F2P route or not remains to be seen, and when and if it does we’ll judge their “mount costs” then.  But one thing’s for sure: at least they’re going to be more than just glorified matchbox cars this time around.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Elder Scrolls Online: Making Mounts Matter.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    You bonded with your horses in Oblivion and Skyrim? Um... I don't really see how... Not calling you a liar, but horses are easily lost in both those games. They die easily too... I also don't see how mounts have anything to do with making ESO feel like the Elder Scrolls. Mounts have never been a big part of the Elder Scrolls series.

Smile

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    ^^ lol this man is calling a spade a spade my dear Mr. Murphy
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I never bonded with my mount in Skyrim, in fact I hardly ever used one since it was so much easier to fast travel to a location close by.  Which was much easier thanks to my incurable desire to explore so I usually ended up wandering around near every major city opening up POI's to fast travel later on down the line.

As for the rest, yes it sounds cool and yes I think it will give a little bit of progression for the game but like I've been saying for a few weeks now, they need to take the same time and energy into innovating on PvE endgame as they have with say this mount system.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

What's true for one guy (me) is false for others.

/shrug

Surely, there's someone who took good care of their horses in those last two TES games.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Originally posted by BillMurphy

/shrug

Surely, there's someone who took good care of their horses in those last two TES games.

Maybe, but there really wasn't a point or an incentive to do so. Travel was fairly easy and straight forward, and the only time I found myself using a mount was when I wanted to go to a location that I hadn't gone to yet so couldn't fast travel to. After that I have no clue what happened to my mount.

Also in Skyrim, at points of the game it was practically impossible to not lose your mount because you would be in a dungeon that led to a completely different area outside. So yeah... This is why I am wondering how you were able to take good care of your mounts in the game.

But I do see how it's possible if you're not doing dungeons or going to a place that leads you back to the start. I've been able to keep a mount for a while at least... But not a long time.

Smile

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

/shrug

I think it is a great addition to the game and greatly needed to make more content to progress.  I think they are just scared ESO is going to be a successful MMO compared to all the other water downed copy cat crap we have been served for the last 5 years.

I have been following every tidbit of info on ESO and I can't say that it looks like junk or not worth a try when there is so much info out that is great info. Baffles me how some people act, it's like they are manically depressed or something.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Betaguy

/shrug

I think it is a great addition to the game and greatly needed to make more content to progress.  I think they are just scared ESO is going to be a successful MMO compared to all the other water downed copy cat crap we have been served for the last 5 years.

Yes, I'm terrified that one of my favorite IPs might turn into a successful MMO. Because I wouldn't want that now would I? Think of it.. One of my favorite gaming franchises actually turning into a great MMO. The horror!

Smile

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    cool stuff
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    I like the way mounts will be developed in-game.  Hoping for mounted combat in the future, though.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by Betaguy

/shrug

Yes, I'm terrified that one of my favorite IPs might turn into a successful MMO. Because I wouldn't want that now would I? Think of it.. One of my favorite gaming franchises actually turning into a great MMO. The horror!

Then quit complaining and being so negative and you might come across in a different light.

I just read through many of your post in many threads and they are always negative or rude responses, just saying.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

/shrug

Maybe, but there really wasn't a point or an incentive to do so. Travel was fairly easy and straight forward, and the only time I found myself using a mount was when I wanted to go to a location that I hadn't gone to yet so couldn't fast travel to. After that I have no clue what happened to my mount.

Also in Skyrim, at points of the game it was practically impossible to not lose your mount because you would be in a dungeon that led to a completely different area outside. So yeah... This is why I am wondering how you were able to take good care of your mounts in the game.

But I do see how it's possible if you're not doing dungeons or going to a place that leads you back to the start. I've been able to keep a mount for a while at least... But not a long time.

lol wow.

Well I bonded with mine as well. This is sort of a "buying into the world 'sorta' roleplay thing".

Of course with me, I wanted my mount out of the way, and not attacking dragons. So much so that I downloaded a mod that took care of that and eventually just used the mount you got with dawnguard.

Your point speaks to looking at game bits as very matter of fact or utilitarian.

Your point about travel only really resonates if you used the fast travel map. I rarely did and I suspect Bill didn't use it that much either. Interesting enough, my roommate (who is NOT a gamer but only plays elder scrolls games) rarely used the map as well. Of course he didn't care for mounts and just ran everywhere.

It feels  like you are trying to correct someone based on your playstyle.

I can respect your playstyle but I wonder if you might realize that one person's way is not another person's way.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    I always lost my mounts in elder scrolls games and they were pointless anyway because you can quick travel
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

/shrug

Bro-nie?

This sounds awesome lol I think this is a fantastic idea.

I loved my horse in ES and my dog in Fable and god I just love animals in general! ^_^

Anything that makes them integral or atleast an addition to the game sounds like a blast to me.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    You bonded with your horses in Oblivion and Skyrim? Um... I don't really see how... Not calling you a liar, but horses are easily lost in both those games. They die easily too... I also don't see how mounts have anything to do with making ESO feel like the Elder Scrolls. Mounts have never been a big part of the Elder Scrolls series.

I never lost a mount in either game (aside from one dying), fast travel ports them to you.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138

All I know is I love my invincible horse Shadowmere in Skyrim.  I walk out of a dungeon and a dragon attacks me? Well, i'm not scared and neither is my horse.  That thing gets smacked around a bit, falls down, and gets right back up and back to attacking.  Definitely an ideal mount in any game.

And I definitely had to run to a lot of locations that I hadn't found on the map so I spent a lot of time on my horse.  It definitely is something that could be a game changer if they can make them do more than let you run faster and carry more stuff.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    In SKYRIM I bought a horse...rode it a few times and stopped. I wanted to walk  a bit slower...since you could be ambushed easily when moving fast and mounted.I think a horse in the pve areas would be great and I like the added depth in the game.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Hmmm, pity ArcheAge already beat them to it, on top of that you also have duel mounting. Yup that's right, on top of feeding your mount and raising your mount from birth and having it stay with you whether mounted or not you can actually have two people ride your mount.

Mounts have their own interface screen (or mount screen), where you can see your mounts current equipment and stats such as: experience, HP, MP, Physical Defense, Magical Defense, Speed.

Mounts have their own levels, and in order to keep them gaining XP, they must be summoned while you are killing the mobs (they are not getting XP when the player turns in quests, nor from gathering or crafting), but you have to be careful and always keep an eye on them since they are dying fast.

Mount's also have stables and the higher level they get the more abilities you unlock for that mount. Most of the mounts are possible to be ridden by two persons, a rider and a passenger. In case there are two persons on a mount, the person on the back is free to shoot with his bow at things in range, while the person in front is “driving” it.

When you look at ArcheAge mount system TESO kind of pales against it.

Vanguard mounts had saddle bags, barding and horse shoes all with different stats, not far off TESO but none of those two games even come close to AA,

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Hmmm, pity ArcheAge already beat them to it, on top of that you also have duel mounting. Yup that's right, on top of feeding your mount and raising your mount from birth and having it stay with you whether mounted or not you can actually have two people ride your mount.

I don't think we should view any of this as "x game has it so no other game should have it". Or essentially "x game did it so why bother". If I'm reading you correctly. Maybe not.

A good idea is a good idea and of course can be expanded upon or changed as the need arises.

I mean, should we forgo the raising of mounts in any future game because one game did it?

Heck, if we are going to use that argument then Lineage 2 did it before archeage in that you could raise your "dragon" (I think they were called something else for non clan leaders) from a hatchling up to a full fledged mount. If you were a clan leader you could ride it as a flying mount.

All before archeage.

What we need are more of these things that help add options and hopefully depth.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I don't think we should view any of this as "x game has it so no other game should have it". Or essentially "x game did it so why bother". If I'm reading you correctly. Maybe not.

A good idea is a good idea and of course can be expanded upon or changed as the need arises.

I mean, should we forgo the raising of mounts in any future game because one game did it?

Heck, if we are going to use that argument then Lineage 2 did it before archeage in that you could raise your "dragon" (I think they were called something else for non clan leaders) from a hatchling up to a full fledged mount. If you were a clan leader you could ride it as a flying mount.

All before archeage.

What we need are more of these things that help add options and hopefully depth.

Point is there is a better mount system out there, and it's not just about raising your mount. TESO system is okay but no where near what AA is offering for mounts.

An idea is when someone else hasn't done that idea you have, pity for TESO that it's not there idea.

And why shoudn't we view what other games have done better than what the OP is talking about, he even mentions that most other mmos have mounts for nothing more than fast travel and vanity.

Should the OP not of mention other mmo's as well?

Fact is there is a better system out there.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I was afraid to use mounts in Oblivion and Skyrim because they could die :(. And then I would feel bad.

• bleakravenbleakraven Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I always make sure to stable my horses or keep them from danger... I loved my Palomino in Skyrim so much... I took the bad decision of climbing High Hrothgar with it and it died to a horrible ambush by a Frost Troll.... Every time I'm near the area, I climb up to where it died and drop a flower I picked earlier. There's a little mound of them now.... :( Poor Valour (that was his name...)
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Also, these kinds of systems are the things more MMOs really need to start adding. We need to start bringing the RPG back into the MMORPG.

Originally posted by Sovrath

All before archeage.

Point is there is a better mount system out there, and it's not just about raising your mount. TESO system is okay but no where near what AA is offering for mounts.

An idea is when someone else hasn't done that idea you have, pity for TESO that it's not there idea.

And why shoudn't we view what other games have done better than what the OP is talking about, he even mentions that most other mmos have mounts for nothing more than fast travel and vanity.

Should the OP not of mention other mmo's as well?

Fact is there is a better system out there.

er that's my point.

I don't think we should view any of this as "x game has it so no other game should have it".

so "yes' if there is a better system out there  or one that fleshes out the system then that should be looked at.

this is from my post as well:

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    This game should be on Multiplayer.com not MMORPG.com...or did you forget they are trying to distance themselves from the MMO label?

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    This game should be on Multiplayer.com not MMORPG.com...or did you forget they are trying to distance themselves from the MMO label?

Yes because their committment in PVP to have at least 200 on the screen at one time and 1000 on the map is def only multiplayer...DUH!!!!! lol

There Is Always Hope!