Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play EQNext if it's cartoony?

WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Since people are depicting concept art, though we haven't seen a single in-game character yet, let's just put this to the test.

If EQNext is cartoony, as in:

WoW type shoulderpads, bright colors, lightsaber weapons, well, you know what WoW looks like

would you still play it?

Comments

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    For me the graphics and animations of a game are not as important as the game mechanics, depth and community so yes, if it has those qualities I'll play it.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Well technically all MMOs are cartoony since they are all pixles n whatnot and not actual set filming of real actors.
  • Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Since people are depicting concept art, though we haven't seen a single in-game character yet, let's just put this to the test.

WoW type shoulderpads, bright colors, lightsaber weapons, well, you know what WoW looks like

would you still play it?

We did see one character model in the works.  It looks like EQN will almost certainly have a high fantasy, stylized look when it comes to armor, weapons, clothes, buildings, etc.

But the textures could go either way.  They may be realistic like Planetside 2 or cartoony.

But the "style" of the world, it's assets and characters.  Ya.... It's not going to look "medieval".  Expect really outlandish armor, big weapons and nuclear explosion magic.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172
    I'd prefer it as it tends to age a lot better, realistic one day looks awful a few months later.
  • hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I can't see SOE going that direction, but if they did I would still play (if the features in the game are what I am looking for).
  • giga1000giga1000 Member Posts: 98

EQ has always went realism and always will over high fantasy graphics. Characters will be more like Planetside 2 avatars than WoW's. 

Think Planetside 2 model with Fantasy and more detail being the size of the dev team is massive VS planetside 2 character dev team.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    gameplay > graphics.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

How do you define cartoony? Are we talking WoW? Wildstar? Hello Kitty? Pokemon? 

There is a definitely style I wouldn't play, but if you mean cartoony like WoW or Wildstar, I think that's an artstyle, not really cartoony. Like would you classify Borderlands as cartoony? 

I'm not a huge fan of the anime-style cartoony graphics though. That might turn me off. Otherwise, idc, I'll still play it.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Some people are going to be extremely disappointed come August 2nd (I'm pointing at you anti-stylized people)
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I wont like it but i cannot let an new EQ game pass me by, i'm a 14 year old vet to the ip.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by thedood123
    Some people are going to be extremely disappointed come August 2nd (I'm pointing at you anti-stylized people)

There's a difference between looking stylized and looking like WoW. So far the "style" we've seen has been way too close to WoW.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

This poll is terrible, because it implies that WoW's art style is bad, and i think its one of the best in the genre's history.

As long as its not TERAesque style and the world has personality (its Norrath, this shouldnt be hard) Ill be fine with it

Originally posted by strangiato2112

This poll is terrible, because it implies that WoW's art style is bad, and i think its one of the best in the genre's history.

After having so many other games copy WoW's EVERYTHING, including their art style, people are just fucking sick of it. I was never a fan. Nintendo does great stylized art like in Wind Waker, wheras WoW's always looked terrible to me.

The point is, we don't want more of the same, that's the whole idea behind EQN, we don't want more WoW. (and it looks like crap)

And no, the poll does not imply what you think it does.

• thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

There's a difference between looking stylized and looking like WoW. So far the "style" we've seen has been way too close to WoW.

Some people (including myself) actually like WoW's art style

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294
    No I would not touch it.  Same reason I will not even consider Wildstar because of that same crappy art style.  I watched a video the other day, for the first 2 minutes of the video I thought I was watching a beta video of some new WoW expansion.  My son had to point out that it was supposed to be this awesome new game called Wildstar.  What a joke. 
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    I could go as far as wow, but not as cartoony as wildstar.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

I think it would depend on the actual cartoon style.  A lot would depend on my mood at the time, too.  Disney, probably not.  Warner Brothers, maybe.  Fleischer Studios, maybe.  Groenig, definitely.  Hanna-Barbara, maybe.  Cute anime, no.  Serious anime, maybe.  Pixar, probably not.

As far as existing game art styles, LotRO, yes.  EQ1, yes.  EQ2, yes,  WoW, probably not.

I would really like to see a character creation system similar to Champions Online, where there are loads of individual costume pieces, and not have to find them in game.    I always envisioned my enchanter in EQ1 with an Arabian style vest and pantaloons, but he's wearing a robe.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

would you still play it?

Did they do a good job or a bad job in your hypothetical scenario?

• fledurfledur Member CommonPosts: 77

Yes I would play. Gameplay and systems are more important.

However, a cartoony game would be a huge waste of their engine (ForgeLight), which is proven to be quite good at delivering more realistic style graphics....

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Zorgo

would you still play it?

Did they do a good job or a bad job in your hypothetical scenario?

You mean my personal opinion? The very few pictures I have seen so far, remind me a lot more of WoW than they do of EQ.

I liked the Luclin characters from EQ.

Whoever did the Shadow of Fear character in Everquest did a good job too. I would pick that artist over what I've seen of EQNext so far.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

You mean my personal opinion? The very few pictures I have seen so far, remind me a lot more of WoW than they do of EQ.

I liked the Luclin characters from EQ.

Whoever did the Shadow of Fear character in Everquest did a good job too. I would pick that artist over what I've seen of EQNext so far.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/rosierappaport

Senior Art Director at Sony Online Entertainment
    Art Director of FreeRealms
    Lead Artist - EverQuest II
    Art Director- EverQuest

She is also the lead artist on EQN

That is not at all related to what you quoted. Try reading what I said.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

That is not at all related to what you quoted. Try reading what I said.

The OP specifically mentioned WoW.

Either way, good job being unnecessarily condescending.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I made a comparison between Keith's rendition of Luclin vah'shir and EQNext:

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    I hope this doesn't mean no luclin... since kerrans are in, I guess they could still add vah shir, even if they're not playable races.