Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade: The Importance of Eldar

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Each of the factions that will be featured in Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade is important. In our latest column devoted to the upcoming title, we take a look at the Eldar and why they are crucial to the game. Read on before heading to the comments to chat.

The Eldar bring a much-needed fourth faction to the game and one that is steeped in 40K lore. Space Elves, Pansies, or whatever you refer to them as, the Eldar bring some of the most diverse and deadly units to the table top game in 40K. With their new codex hot off the presses, they have been given a solid boost and are now one of the armies to beat. So what does all of this have to do with an MMO? They’re a Xenos race which has no alliances to anyone, sure they might fight alongside Space Marines, but nothing stops them from killing marines after the threat of Orks are defeated. That is what has always made 40K great, all of the armies against each other. This is something that the team at Behaviour Interactive has talked about as well. The Eldar play right into their system. Factions can team up against a great threat, but when that threat is over, it now becomes game for the survivors. Orks and Chaos make sense in some ways, as do Eldar and Imperium, but the core fact remains, they are all against each other.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade - The Importance of Eldar.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    And the hype train has left the station, even though apparently not a single line of code has been written for this game yet.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

What is funny is the Eldar launch (tabletop) is driving many away from GW. Viewed as "the last straw", by several long time GW fans that are personal friends of mine.

GW is the EA of tabletop miniature gaming. Unlike EA though, it seems the tabletop community is turning their backs on GW. As GW tries to squeeze as much as they can out of their balance sheets, prior to an attempted sale to Hasbro, (rumor), several "indie" miniature companies are rising up to fill the void GW will leave.

I personally suspect this is simply another attempt to bolster said bottom line.

GL with it though.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by ironhelix
    And the hype train has left the station, even though apparently not a single line of code has been written for this game yet.

This.  They apparently have not found out how difficult MMO are to write.  I can remember the Warhammer team at Mythic promising all sorts of things that never made it into the game.

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650
    I hope that we see Eldar, Tau, Chaos, Marines and imperials. lol I know it's alot but these are the core stories!

• lasttimelasttime Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Four0Six

What is funny is the Eldar launch (tabletop) is driving many away from GW. Viewed as "the last straw", by several long time GW fans that are personal friends of mine.

GW is the EA of tabletop miniature gaming. Unlike EA though, it seems the tabletop community is turning their backs on GW. As GW tries to squeeze as much as they can out of their balance sheets, prior to an attempted sale to Hasbro, (rumor), several "indie" miniature companies are rising up to fill the void GW will leave.

I personally suspect this is simply another attempt to bolster said bottom line.

GL with it though.

This is my issue. A 40K mmo sounds fun but I have also been really turned away with GW's actions recently. Black Library is one branch that has gotten completely out of hand if your a big lore fan. Constantly releasing these limited edition 100 page books for 50 bucks.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

So just talking about a game is hype now? if we can't talk about games then what is the point of this site?

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

GL with it though.

Some warhammer 40k fans don't care for table top gaming.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    MMORPG.com, I really hate how you continue to hype games before they're even close to being made. It's a deplorable way to sneakily (well not really sneakily) advertise before the product is even close to a finish status.

Smile

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    MMORPG.com, I really hate how you continue to hype games before they're even close to being made. It's a deplorable way to sneakily (well not really sneakily) advertise before the product is even close to a finish status.

talking good about a lore ( not videogame YET ) its not hyping, if the lore its good and appealing.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Ouf. Article reads like it was a written by a teenage Warhammer fanboy ranting about how Eldar are awesome and why they should kick major ass.

Article is summarized by this quote:

"The mistake that Behavior could make with Eldar is to make them a weaker infantry army than Marines"

• DKTuesdayDKTuesday Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Haters gonna hate.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Varthander

talking good about a lore ( not videogame YET ) its not hyping, if the lore its good and appealing.

When it's pertaining to the game, and has 40K labeled to it, it's hyping.

Smile

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

GL with it though.

Exactly why I bring this up. I doubt those who aren't into tabletop gaming aren't familiar with these developments. Those in the tabletop scene, are viewing this with weary eye, as we assume the same attitude will pervade. Very recently GW has increased their rate of monetization by leaps and bounds. Things like switching to hardbound codexes with an increase of 30% in price. Sure hardbacks are nice, but could you t least publish in both hard and soft back? The Eldar issue I spoke of concerns a new Eldar codex, for $50, and a special edition supplement for another $50. When before it was a $33 soft back with a $10 White Dwarf magazine supplement.....

Here I how I see this little 40K MMO go down.:

Sure Ork Boyz are F2P, not 'Ard Boyz, no Big shootas, no Big Choppas, No Nobz. Only Boyz are free, the rest are all individual paid upgrades.

Your Space Marines? Each chapter will be paid for individually. Each Chainsword, each Bolter, each Flamer, Lightning CLaw, Purity seal, all of it.

Same with Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necron, whatever race they release.

They will milk the gamers for dollar after dollar, again, still, always....

GL though, their lore IS epic and well fleshed out.

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

GL with it though.

Exactly why I bring this up. I doubt those who aren't into tabletop gaming aren't familiar with these developments. Those in the tabletop scene, are viewing this with weary eye, as we assume the same attitude will pervade. Very recently GW has increased their rate of monetization by leaps and bounds. Things like switching to hardbound codexes with an increase of 30% in price. Sure hardbacks are nice, but could you t least publish in both hard and soft back? The Eldar issue I spoke of concerns a new Eldar codex, for $50, and a special edition supplement for another $50. When before it was a $33 soft back with a $10 White Dwarf magazine supplement.....

Sure Ork Boyz are F2P, not 'Ard Boyz, no Big shootas, no Big Choppas, No Nobz. Only Boyz are free, the rest are all individual paid upgrades.

Your Space Marines? Each chapter will be paid for individually. Each Chainsword, each Bolter, each Flamer, Lightning CLaw, Purity seal, all of it.

This is pretty much how I see it going down as well Four0Six. And it saddens me because I would love nothing more than to have a great 40k MMO to play, especially as a third person shooter. I don't doubt that Behaviour Games wants to create the best 40k game out there, but I fear that GW will force them to nickel and dime us for any amount of fun.

• s4ndm4n2006s4ndm4n2006 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by Varthander

When it's pertaining to the game, and has 40K labeled to it, it's hyping.

Agreed.  Was just about to reply directly to the same effect but found your comment first.  Since MMORPG is about gaming there is no reason to post for "lore's sake" unless it's related to a game.  I just wish they'd stick to games that were at least already in development.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

They stated during last week's live streams, that buying the game will unlock all factions.  The Ork Boyz are simply there for players that don't want to spend a single penny.  Items that will be separately will be things like emotes and some cosmetic customizations.  Sort of a GW2 with a fully f2p option.

I can definitely empathize with negative feelings towards the Black Library exploitation.  While I enjoy the uptick in quantity of releases, these limited releases of overpriced short stories, is a bit too much.  I also see a move away from printed compilations of short stories, and a move towards selling stories piecemeal at inflated prices.

• patrickbalthazarpatrickbalthazar Member UncommonPosts: 133

Interesting, where do  you have that information from?

Patrick Balthazar
    Tech Lead - Behaviour Online
    Lead Programmer - Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
    www.EternalCrusade.com - #eternalcrusade - @lordpada

Originally posted by Ozmodan

This.  They apparently have not found out how difficult MMO are to write.  I can remember the Warhammer team at Mythic promising all sorts of things that never made it into the game.

I can assure you that we are well aware of the challenge - not only because we have already worked on other MMOs before. We are not trying to promise things we will not be able to make, being enthusiastic about your and our game, is a very different thing. We have a very good core team who where working in the industry for quite some time and released MMOs such as The Secret World, FIFA Online and Ryzom.

Patrick Balthazar

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar

I can assure you that we are well aware of the challenge - not only because we have already worked on other MMOs before. We are not trying to promise things we will not be able to make, being enthusiastic about your and our game, is a very different thing. We have a very good core team who where working in the industry for quite some time and released MMOs such as The Secret World, FIFA Online and Ryzom.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Word of caution about the users here on this site Patrick.  While I love that you guys are being very active with the community, MMORPG site is filled with users whom like to troll.  A sizable portion here just spew things out just to do it.  Mostly it's derived from MMO burn out, fanboys of other games, or some dislike for the IP in question.

My suggestion for the best way to communicate to the community here is to start your own threads in the games' forums asking specific questions or ideas the fanbase would be interested in seeing.  Then you can respond to those questions as you see fit.

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Yeah Garret i agree, Tau and Necrons will be excellent additions to the Tyranid role as Npc balancing force and PvE cannon-fodder =)

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

Word of caution about the users here on this site Patrick.  While I love that you guys are being very active with the community, MMORPG site is filled with users whom like to troll.  A sizable portion here just spew things out just to do it.  Mostly it's derived from MMO burn out, fanboys of other games, or some dislike for the IP in question.

My suggestion for the best way to communicate to the community here is to start your own threads in the games' forums asking specific questions or ideas the fanbase would be interested in seeing.  Then you can respond to those questions as you see fit.

Thx! Well I guess I don't need to tell you that I also have some experience handling those people you talk about - wow I mean some forums, especially German ones can be really intense!

But, yes, trying to show presence, and also trying to make sure we are here, reading, listening and doing our best to include all of you for the game we are going to make as much as possible!

Without the Dark, there can be no Light

Patrick Balthazar

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154

If there is one place to talk about MMO hype, don't you think it is appropriate that place be MMOrpg.com? It isn't like they are talking about lawn chairs and toasters.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    I. LOVE. YOU.

First article and about Eldars! Lolz! Take that filthy greenskins and Mon'keigh!

Oy.. wait ti'll I get ma mits on ya ya scrawny git! I'll use ya as a choppa on ya mates!

• possessed1possessed1 Member UncommonPosts: 36

This is going back to earlier post about GW gouging the tabletop gamer. My cousin works with a guy who transferred from GW; they were discussing GW and how things are always changing. He chuckled and said their policy is basically thus : forget  the loyal, old gamers: we don't care about retention. We will change things often and charge more and get all the new, younger gamers into it. And then they don't care about retaining them. They just want everyone to plunk down large sums of money for an 'army', then change everything so that army is screwed and they gotta buy all new figs/army/codex, you name it.

Gamers are catching on to this and sick of it; I got tired of it 14 years ago. I go to Gen-Con annually and I see them doing this not only with the table top game, but with their PnP RPG games. I'm not sure if they can pull that off on the MMO gamers though; but I wouldn't put it past 'em.