Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

e-sport is certainly popular ...

13»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Playing video games is not a sport.

South Korea would disagree.

LOL, Yeah because

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_South_Korea#Traditional_sports

Kite Flying??????????

That is the "traditional" sport. S Korea's national sport is Starcraft.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/07/27/south.korea.starcraft/index.html

Even CNN said so.

"the StarCraft video game series has spawned devotion more akin to professional sports teams."

"Games of large tournaments are broadcast live on television in South Korea."

I am not disputing what you are saying.

What I meant was.....They don't have anything else.

Oh, that is certainly true. Starcraft is S Korea's claim to fame.

Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Playing video games is not a sport.

South Korea would disagree.

Do these kids in South Korea call themselves e-jocks?  If so, do they use that as a way to pick up e-girls?

Those 'kids' call themselves 'professional gamers' and earn 6 figures just on prize money alone.

Heck, there's one guy from France that put his Medical degree on hold because he earned $200k just on prize money.

This excludes sponsorships and team salary which probably is higher than that.

Great.  I wasn't expecting a serious answer nor do I care.

You care enough to ask. Ask and you shall receive.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

If only it was this way in the 90s when I had to lump my rig all over europe to compete in quake/kingpin tournaments and sponsorship was exceptionally rare,  lucky if 50 people took the time to come watch the matches (hovered over your shoulder I might add) there was one maybes 2 high value ones where walked away with loads of great gear and money but not enough to base a living on.

Look at it now millions of viewers,  advertising revenue on a twitch stream alone can earn you a living never mind sponsorship/league payments/winnings.

Give it another 20 years and I'm sure it will be even bigger but hopefully have strayed away from MOBA/RTS and back to its FPS routes.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    is Starcraft really more popular than Football in South Korea? I find that hard to believe. I mean the K-League is the oldest professional football league in Asia.. It would be nice to see some creditable numbers on that.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

And they have female fans .. just watch any S Korean televised match. They get girls as easy as sports star here in the US. 

I know I've heard of at least one Korean gaming house where dating simply wasn't allowed.  I'm sure it extends beyond just that one house, though I don't know how prevalent that is (probably more common in Korea where they take things more seriously.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Axehilt

And they have female fans .. just watch any S Korean televised match. They get girls as easy as sports star here in the US. 

I know I've heard of at least one Korean gaming house where dating simply wasn't allowed.  I'm sure it extends beyond just that one house, though I don't know how prevalent that is (probably more common in Korea where they take things more seriously.)

http://www.edge-online.com/features/starcrafts-enduring-legacy-part-two/2/

"Nearly all of the fans are female, teenage or in their 20s, and they praise their favourite player while offering him a gift of a tasty snack. There’s a definite flirtatiousness about the whole affair, and it’s not uncommon for a player to date a fan"

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

So they're kind of like the 300 spartan's while the rest of us are the ones guarding the hidden path !

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

"Nearly all of the fans are female, teenage or in their 20s, and they praise their favourite player while offering him a gift of a tasty snack. There’s a definite flirtatiousness about the whole affair, and it’s not uncommon for a player to date a fan" 

I'm sure that's true of some pro gamers, sure.  For most it isn't, either because they take gaming very seriously (many korean pros) or because there's a social stigma about gaming still (in the US.)

But it doesn't take a scientist to scrutinize the statement "nearly all of the fans are female".  Anyone who's watched a gaming event stream suspects that's not true.  And those of us who've watched many event streams are confident it isn't.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by MMORPGRIP
    God...let's not discuss WoT's. Game is really irritating.Not really the game...it's the players ruining that one. So many adolescent remarks and absolutely NO teamwork involved. Everyone seems out for themselves and to get the highest kill count. It's sad. The 3 scenario's to every match...1. Team rushes out and gets picked off 1 by 1.2. Team all rushes to 1 side except maybe 1 or 2 that go the other way. 1 or 2 that went the other way get wiped out by the entire enemy team coming that direction...your teams flag gets capped.3. Your assignment is to defend your base. So what does the team do? Rushes ahead and gets picked off one by one. You lose. Average 1 win to 12 losses because too many are of the "me" mindset instead of the "we".

are you seriously saying your win loss ratio is 1:12 ? WTF.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

I'm sure that's true of some pro gamers, sure.  For most it isn't, either because they take gaming very seriously (many korean pros) or because there's a social stigma about gaming still (in the US.)

But it doesn't take a scientist to scrutinize the statement "nearly all of the fans are female".  Anyone who's watched a gaming event stream suspects that's not true.  And those of us who've watched many event streams are confident it isn't.

Have you been to S Korea? Have you seen one of those fan clubs? I have seen videos of teenage girls screaming.

And btw, we are talking about fan club fans .. those goes to the star's b-day and give him stuffed animals. We are not talking about some game geek who may watch a match or two.