Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having fun but 2 questions on classes and shop!

AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

Good morning!

Having played way too much WoW I'm trying very hard not to make any comparisons between the two or think Rift is lie WoW with the soul tree/talent tree. Anyway, that said...  I made a chloromancer Mage and am following the soul points since I'm retry new. But I read that for leveling a harbinger (melee Mage??) is by most viable choice. Even with my elemental pet, I do find my dps to be very slow.  I realize I should probably start using macros even at level 13 but am also curious as to if this is the best class and subclass for me. In WoW I played a priest or a Mage, primarily. When I read about the chloromancer it seemed the best of both worlds, but now that I am playing I'm unsure. I also love the look of the bard also played a minstrel in DaoC and loved every minute of that. Any tips would be so wonderfully welcome.   Also - cash shop is everywhere, when I went to clicking on something in game it showed up with my credit card type and the numbers starred out! Wow...!  I know it's not a pay to win, but are there advantages early on in cash shop?  Thanks tons..

sorry for the length, said no prissy high elf, ever

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

Comments

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Thanks so much for the tips. I'd need to respec (man I have to think outsize the wow box) to open the harbinger soul tree, correct?

As I said I may just scratch it and reroll. I've me dr tried a melee Mage though it might be fun. The bard still looks so intriguing. Thank you again.

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Avoxia
    Thanks so much for the tips. I'd need to respec (man I have to think outsize the wow box) to open the harbinger soul tree, correct?

As I said I may just scratch it and reroll. I've me dr tried a melee Mage though it might be fun. The bard still looks so intriguing. Thank you again.

your better off just buying a new Role. a Role of course is just another set of 3 trees of your choosing. your second Role is cheap (ingame money, not cash shop) and you'll want at least a second one eventually anyways to play around with different sets of trees or differing builds of the same set of trees.

so buy a Role from your class trainer, you won't regret it.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• CalmmoCalmmo Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by DMKano

Also Instant Adventures - fastest way 1-48, then go to storm legion zones, the gear in SL is far superior to anything in old world by a mile.

Dont get sucked into IAs too much tho, they are a repetitive mindless grind. They can be fun for rift newbies because they give that group content "happy" vide. Do a bit of questing, que for dungeons ( i do suggest doing each of the leveling dungeons at least once, esp the up to 50lvl ones that you wont be seeing again after getting over lvl50) LOOK for the open world zone events and go do them, the events themselves are very fun to experience (unless you've been doing them like me for 2.5yrs) and do your PVP Warfronts. There are several ways to do things but mixing things up is the 2nd fastest way of leveling as well as the least boring. (unlike doing non stop IAs that endup being a dullfest after youve seen each quest once within the first 20mins)

Harb/chloro leveling spec is quite possibly the best (certainly the easiest) spec in the game. I leveled my first mage alt after SL in got thru 1-50 in under 8 hours, so even for a newbie/casual the pre SL-pre 50 content will be over within a weekend. (old up to 50 lvl world leveling and content has been nerfed several times to allow ppl back then to blast their way up to 50 to experience endgame, SL 50 to 60 will be proper leveling so with a casual approach expect it to last a week or two for sure, unless you have lots of free time)

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Pay no attention to the cash shop. Better items you can gain ingame  with a little hard work.

• iamflymoloiamflymolo Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Avoxia

Good morning!

Having played way too much WoW I'm trying very hard not to make any comparisons between the two or think Rift is lie WoW with the soul tree/talent tree. Anyway, that said...  I made a chloromancer Mage and am following the soul points since I'm retry new. But I read that for leveling a harbinger (melee Mage??) is by most viable choice. Even with my elemental pet, I do find my dps to be very slow.  I realize I should probably start using macros even at level 13 but am also curious as to if this is the best class and subclass for me. In WoW I played a priest or a Mage, primarily. When I read about the chloromancer it seemed the best of both worlds, but now that I am playing I'm unsure. I also love the look of the bard also played a minstrel in DaoC and loved every minute of that. Any tips would be so wonderfully welcome.   Also - cash shop is everywhere, when I went to clicking on something in game it showed up with my credit card type and the numbers starred out! Wow...!  I know it's not a pay to win, but are there advantages early on in cash shop?  Thanks tons..

sorry for the length, said no prissy high elf, ever

Somehow I missed this last week. I'll throw in my 2 or more cents in case you are still trying to figure it out.

Someone said to buy a role from your class trainer. I agree whole-heartedly. One of the great things about Rift is that you can try out multiple options easily and develop different roles for different situations on the same character. I don't recommend re-rolling unless you hate the look of your character.

Harbinger is very good, but if you played a Mage and Priest in WoW then I'm assuming that melee isn't your first choice. You may want to take a Mage offensive soul like Pyro in order to suit your style, although you may die a little more often if you are focusing on Pyro since you're a squishy Mage.

What type of priest were you? If Shadow, you'll still probably be best suited to a Mage offensive soul. If Holy, you'll probably want to look at a Cleric healing soul. I was a Disc priest at end game in WoW and there is really nothing quite like it in Rift. Chloro is really not the best of both worlds. It is fun to heal by dealing damage, but the damage output is not great. The healing isn't even terribly great in the first many levels - trying to main heal a low level dungeon with Chloro often ends in a bunch of wipes. So while Chloro is awesome at end game (I also enjoy it in pvp) it is not great for leveling.

Putting all possible points into Elementalist is a great option for solo leveling. At low levels you'll be killing things very slowly but by level 50 I was able to do about the same damage with my Elementalist as with my Harbinger. Once you start utilizing the Cycle buffs from the talent trees the damage starts getting very good.

Leveling to 50 still takes days, not hours. The only way to do it in hours (and I have not personally verified this but it is probably true) is to hang with a bunch of level 50+ players doing onslaughts in Storm Legion zones. You can also gain levels quickly with the help of a high level Mage shield, but this requires a high level Mage friend and a ridiculous amount of grinding. So if you are not level 50, or even level 15 for that matter,  in 8 hours don't feel like you are doing anything wrong.

My Elementalist leveling spec, if you are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSMhtnvTztA

edited for clarity