Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Release Day Plans?

Comments

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Megatronic
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Lol, taking time off work for an f n game. Not only is that stupid on a release day, but it s also a GAME. Take your days off and live.

Whats wrong with taking some paid vacation time off to do something you enjoy?  What if the dude is a pro surfer, nascar driver, or just an IT guy, isn't enjoying a fun activity living?  Not everybody enjoys going to concerts and large events, some people like to stay home and just RELAX for a vacation.

Honestly I'm willing to bet that you are just bitter because you don't get a paid vacation.

Ya that's it. I own my own restaurant, so if I really want to I can take the time off, I just think a game isn t worth wasting your paid vacation time off. Games are just that, games, not a way of life.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

A lot can happen on release day often is when a big game like this is that you probably can't play that much if any at all due to server stress,crashes,lag ect.

Now I know who are the biggest whiners on the forums on a game release day.........It's the guys who took some time of work and cant play.

We have seen this many many times and I doubt It'll be any different this time around either.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by indef
    This thread is a testament to why MMO developers all think they're player-bases are a bunch of retards.

Painfully agreed.  Though I believe they get a guy in a suit to present a demographic chart to the investors.  This chart shows the average gamer being stoned, at home, and of sub par emotional I.Q.  Hence the 5 class race mirror cash shop games we've been inundated with.

Why create something in depth, with lots of true creativity, when we can just make a new battleground flag capture game every 3-6 months for the masses?

Unfortunate. 

• swedagoswedago Member UncommonPosts: 78

I played everquest 1 from MAR 1999- NOV 2004

Everquest 2 from NOV 2004 - Present ( a few breaks to try the new games).

So far the Everquest products / MMOs have been very good and a large part of my time when not working.  I hope the next installment of the Everquest family succeeds.

Issues with eq2 that I missed about eq1 was that it was too easy to level.  I have 19 95s, and the most recent took me 3 days to 2-box to max level from level 1.  EQ1 was more of a feeling of accomplishment and I hope it goes back to the challenge.   Otherwise I will start getting bored as I do with new games like Neverwinter, Guild Wars 2, etc...

PvP is fun, but not the main part of my gaming.  I prefer for them to have 1 server for the hardcore PvP addicts or have certain zones (instead of Battlegrounds) for just Open PvP like in EQ1.  Being forced to pvp all the time gets old.  Especially if you are questing and become a target of griefers.

Keep the disco & shinies!!!!!

They should look into tradeskilling similar to SWTOR & Neverwinter.  I hate wasting my off time standing next to a tradeskill device to level up a tradeskill for hours.

As far as the release date..  I rather wait for a polished game than a bug infested game they have been releasing too much lately (including the recent expansions to eq2 which some instances and/or raid-zones were broken).

I know F2P is the big hit in most MMOs now-a-days, but I wish they would implement a server like Legends in EQ1 where we could pay more ($50 a month) and have better GM / petition support.  A server like this also weeds out the trolls and crap community which f2p attracts.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

If I'm working that day, I'll probably rush home to get the name(s) I want, play around with character creator, and make/delete multiple characters until I get it just right.

If I'm not working, I'll probably sit at the log in screen waiting patiently to get in as soon as possible and do it multiple times as the server(s) crash and login bugs keep me from getting in.

Day after release, I'll realize I spelled my characters name wrong, picked the wrong god to follow, and will delete and make a new persona all over again.

I'll save my 22 vacation days I currently have for something a little more exciting. Just did a week in Peru. Not to say I won't play as much as I can when I'm doing a stay-cation and my wife doesn't have me doing a million things (hopefully she is in-game herself).

• DigitallyEndowedDigitallyEndowed Member Posts: 125

Jesus some people are ridiculous O_O

If he wants to take time off work to play on a game then so be it, what’s the big deal? It’s a game; a form of entertainment. You don’t magically stop having a life by playing on computer games. It’s a very silly mentality.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I can't do no life gaming sessions anymore thanks to having a girlfriend who likes to be outgoing. Guilds end up kicking me due to inactivity. Try to squeeze in an hour or two whenever I can but that's it. Still, I know what I got to look forward to if things don't work out. Long gaming sessions and lots of pizza.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Pigglesworth

Anyone planning to take significant time off work or other activities around release?

I have been saving up my vacation time at work and will be taking a full month off work to play at release.

What about you?

Wow that would be awesome,, I'll request a couple days off but that's about all I'll be able to manage.

LOL - now that I've read some of the responses I had to comment again.  I guarantee that almost every single one of the people bashing the OP would take a month off too if they could.  MMO nerds making fun of other people for being MMO nerds.  derp
  • CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I'm resigning from my job in 9 days. I'll be moving in with my parents and using my GI bill. Aside from going to school I'll be playing nonstop. I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing than playing an MMO that is good [mod edit]
  • PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

My wife is buried in the backyard, and the kids are auctioned off to a very nice gentleman in the philippines.

TIME TO GAME!!!

• JaknifeJaknife Member Posts: 51

I know this is probably a stupid question, being as lots of people in this thread are talking about taking time off etc, but have they even announced a date yet ?

I was on the understanding that they haven't actually even done a proper reveal for it yet, yet people here are talking about holiday time they have to take before Jan 1st.

I know this is just people saying what they would like to do, and what they intend to do, I was just wondering that's all.

I looked on the Everquest 2 forum, and people are talking about a beta in 2014.

The official game site, doesn't have any information at all yet, just videos of fans of the franchise talking about what the previous games have mean't to them.

So I was wondering if I had missed a date whispered somewhere.

Thank you kindly.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by Jaknife

I know this is probably a stupid question, being as lots of people in this thread are talking about taking time off etc, but have they even announced a date yet ?

I was on the understanding that they haven't actually even done a proper reveal for it yet, yet people here are talking about holiday time they have to take before Jan 1st.

I know this is just people saying what they would like to do, and what they intend to do, I was just wondering that's all.

I looked on the Everquest 2 forum, and people are talking about a beta in 2014.

The official game site, doesn't have any information at all yet, just videos of fans of the franchise talking about what the previous games have mean't to them.

So I was wondering if I had missed a date whispered somewhere.

Thank you kindly.

Smedley has hinted that "players will get their hands on the game this year, and I'm not talking about a beta"

Also EQN has been in the works for awhile, despite having to remodel their structure. But really it was just their philosophy they re-did, they didnt need to scrap zones or combat or their graphics engine (Forgelight)

Georgeson also said they could have showed everything they're showing at SOE Live at E3 but they wanted to save it for SOE. So I'd assume that means the process is going smoothly. A lot of people (myself included) are expecting a December/Christmas time release. Beta will probably start a week after SOE Live. That would give them August/September/October/November/parts of December if they wanted  to test.

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by topographic
    Originally posted by indef
    This thread is a testament to why MMO developers all think they're player-bases are a bunch of retards.

+1

If someone told me I could play an MMO for a week or hang out on a beach for a week, my next two responses would be:

"What's an MMO?"

and

"Where are my sunglasses?"

Haha, I'm so with you on that!

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Damn, there are some bitter people out there. But, I guess this is the Internet.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

If you have a trip you want to take somewhere when you have time off, more power to you.

I'm not sure why you'd be confused why someone who enjoys playing MMOs might want to play them when they have time off though.   There isn't anything wrong with someone if they don't scramble to a new location every time they have a long weekend.

What a goofy thing to posture about.

Damn, there are some bitter people out there. But, I guess this is the Internet.
    It's just video game nerd denial and weak esteemed people dude.  As long as they have someone to point the finger at and call the bigger  nerd or loser they can pretend they somehow aren't that person too.  Just like the fat person pointing out and making fun of other fat people.  Creates this false sense of superiority to make ones self feel better.  Key word - FALSE
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

If someone told me I could play an MMO for a week or hang out on a beach for a week, my next two responses would be:

"What's an MMO?"

and

"Where are my sunglasses?"

Our beach is a cesspool. We've had to avoid many times going into the water because of toxicity concerns.

While going to the beach is still fun in some places, in many places the water is so polluted that it's no longer fun, or healthy.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    I still have 15 of 25 days left of vacation.  I make take one day off for giggles (a friday or monday).  I will probably end up not playing much as I have a 2 year old and 3 year old, but either way it is a good enough excuse for me to have a longer weekend lmao.  

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Megatronic
    Originally posted by Soki123 Lol, taking time off work for an f n game. Not only is that stupid on a release day, but it s also a GAME. Take your days off and live.
    Whats wrong with taking some paid vacation time off to do something you enjoy?  What if the dude is a pro surfer, nascar driver, or just an IT guy, isn't enjoying a fun activity living?  Not everybody enjoys going to concerts and large events, some people like to stay home and just RELAX for a vacation.

Honestly I'm willing to bet that you are just bitter because you don't get a paid vacation.

I work with a couple people who do this. They don't take family vacations, or they have enough vacation that a week to game doesn't interfere with any family vacations. Doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Me personally, I don't think I'd take a week for a game though. I mean, I'd be happy to take a week off work to do nothing, and while doing nothing I'd do some gaming, but for the most part I get more than enough gaming during the week to not worry about it too much.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Margulis
    It's just video game nerd denial and weak esteemed people dude.  As long as they have someone to point the finger at and call the bigger  nerd or loser they can pretend they somehow aren't that person too.  Just like the fat person pointing out and making fun of other fat people.  Creates this false sense of superiority to make ones self feel better.  Key word - FALSE

OR...

It's just video game nerd justification. People trying to justify that sitting around playing video games for hours on end somehow makes them better than the average gamer. Like the guild leader trying to convince us that being part of a guild improves leadership and critical thinking skills (what a joke). Creating a false sense of superiority to make them feel better.  Keyword = FALSE.

See how that works?

Many of you have already flamed me for planning time off, but who cares? I love playing Everquest. Period.

But, to address the one point that a couple brought up, here's more insanity.

The first day or two of any release is aIways a problem. So, I would be wasting my vacation time on them, if I could not fully utilize the time playing and instead, sitting, waiting for the servers to come back up after a crash. Fortunately, I already have a solution for this problem.

I have had a long term problem with my nose that surgery can solve. I have put the surgery off for many years because, well, I hate surgery with a passion. But, over time, the issue has gotten unbearable for much longer. So, with EQNext's release, I get to solve two problems with one stone.

Once the release date is planned, I will schedule my surgery for 2 days before the release. This way, I can use sick leave (instead of vacation time) recovering from the surgery, while still claiming my names, character appearances, server choices, etc. Maybe even the starting areas if I am lucky. Doing this on pain killers will lighten the misery of the constant crashes and the game will help keep my mind off the surgery pain. Then, after the 2nd or 3rd day of launch, I will be ready to start my actual vacation time and enjoy the game fully for the next month of vacation.

All in all, pretty good plan. Damn game better be as promised and worth it! I guess I will know for sure after 8/2/2013.

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    We'll see when it's supposed to release. I won't be taking the day of release off that's for sure. Day 1 server issues are all but certain. Depending on if it's released the end of this year or early next will make a big difference. I won't take time off early in the year for it, but if I have some extra PTO at the end of the year I'd consider, especially if I can use a day or two and turn it into a long weekend with Christmas or Thanksgiving in there with it.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Once the release date is planned, I will schedule my surgery for 2 days before the release.

You are a very trusting person. I wouldn't trust Smedley if he told me the sky was blue.

IMO, you are more likely to spend your time off reading the whining on these forums when the release is pushed backed than actually playing the game.

Once the release date is planned, I will schedule my surgery for 2 days before the release.

You are a very trusting person. I wouldn't trust Smedley if he told me the sky was blue.

IMO, you are more likely to spend your time off reading the whining on these forums when the release is pushed backed than actually playing the game.

Yes, you are a Smedley and EQ hater. You have made it clear in every post. The bandwagon is old and you are trying to be the new captain.

Doesn't mean the rest of us have to follow you.