Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

no auto attack=niche game

Comments

• NitetasiaNitetasia Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by donjn
    Originally posted by simplius

but , it looks like the combat will be more like TERA

and how well did TERA do?

This one post tells me more about you than anything else.

Just about everyone is in the industry agreed that it was Tera's dull questing that sunk it, not the combat.

I have to agree with this.. I LOVED Tera's combat... and the only reason I stopped was the boring questing.

As for the graphics, I hated WOWs character design but loved the over all graphics.

So for Wildstar to have very cool character designs and the over all graphics is a win for me :) On top of that, to have a fun battle system and paths to change the game to how I like to play is a great idea.

But anyway, auto attack (to me) is just someone wanting to be lazy.. thats one step too close to having the game play on its own O_o...

• Andre2160Andre2160 Member Posts: 2
    This game is like wow clone. Heavily targeted on kids. I got no sci-fi feeling from this wtf. Wow with few scifi si not scifi. Grafic is charmless. I wold rather play Tabula Rasa or anarchy then this. Uninstall in 1 hour.
  • neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

apparantly, there will no autoattack in wildstar

spamming the same attack button over and over, even in an fight with trash mobs, isnt challenging

its a TIMESINK

it isnt content, either,,i doubt, that it will stop botting too

im so disappointed, i had high hopes for this game

didnt they learn ANYTHING from tortanic?

cancelled my preorder, this was one of the things, that drove me away from swtor

and you dont HAVE to use autoattack,,you can simply turn it off

this is like a car,with only one gear,,enjoy

sir eve is the game for you then, all it has it auto attack.  get into range, lock on, turn on weapons, go do whatever, come back, loot kill or find yourself dead and start over.  and eve is the most niche game ever.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

interesting.  i somehow managed to get 5 characters in SWTOR to max level and never noticed there was no auto attack.

its strange what some people find important and others do not.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

spamming the same attack button over and over, even in an fight with trash mobs, isnt challenging

its a TIMESINK

cancelled my preorder, this was one of the things, that drove me away from swtor

Why are all these superficial complaints popping up so much?

• No auto attack....FAIL
    • I have to kill bunnies?!.....FAIL
    • No non-consensual PvP?...FAIL
    • Instance zones....FAIL

Players don't look for worlds, lore or themes anymore in mmorpgs. They look for auto attacks, cross-serverless LFG tools and non-instanced PvP. It's so superficially stupid. But who am I to judge? There are enough mmorpgs around now where players can afford to be picky I guess. Even if they'll never really pick anything...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• kiravelikiraveli Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Best gif ever ILU <3

On topic though...I agree. I stopped playing beta cause I'm sick of 1. 111111111111 2. 11111111111111111 2. I have to spam 1 to build points to use my other stuff, and 1 isn't just a single combo point builder I have to hit it about 3 times to get the point. It's repetitive and boring. Wildstar basically has GW2 combat, which I personally hated. Not my type of combat =(

To be positive, the movement is nice and fluid, and the cartoony artstyle is fairly cute! Quests with GW2 combat just yuck.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by steamtank

i dont play for "effeciency",,,i play for FUN

i dont raid, and i VERY rarely PVP

welcome to another mmo with 3-400k subs

they may sell a lot of boxes, but within a year, they will be at the same level as swtor

and, do you think, this is what the devs want? or do they want to earn a lot of Money?

you dont raid and you are following Wildstar O_o

the game is being developed by raiders... sure they have lots of other goodies... but 40 man raids promised to wipe you over and over, thats why i am here.

auto attack isnt why swtor did poorly.

After reading your post i thought it was 2004. WOW called and wants its 40 main raids back.

By the way SWTOR had no auto attack at release. Not sure if they added it now or not.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by arieste

Wait, someone thought that a space-western-cartoon MMORPG is "mainstream" ?  lol.

As far as major titles without auto-attack - just off the top of my head - AoC, GW2, TSW, Tera, TR, Neverwinter, Defiance.. uhm.. did CoH have auto-attack?  There have been tons.  Auto-attack is really quite irrelevant.  Even in games that DO have auto attack, it's not relevant for some of the classes.    An RPG is all about choosing which action to take next.  To choose, you need to press buttons. 

City of Heroes did not have a auto attack.  It had the ability to ctrl-click one ability (green circle) so that it would fire whenever the cooldown was finished.  Normally this was used on hasten for those who had that ability.  Typically long abilities that you wanted up as often as possible without having to coordinate with other abilities. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

Oh come on you shortsighted people .... 

Auto-attack MUST be an option. It is an option in almost all games. And even though its option and I have it always activated by default in any MMO I have played and I have played a lot, I wouldn't believe you that even if you had autoattack, you wouldn't press the magic attack button rabidly. Every single one of us does that. Autoattack in most games is "flawed" and a person should always watch over it if they want to survive, 

If you all believe that no autoattack would make a better game, go play Mu Online. Although I used to put weights on my attack button and go out for coffee (because at the time mouse clickers didnt work as good as today). Really it needs to be an option for the legit players that will enjoy. The casuals, the people that want to relax at game, not the ones that grind their way to the top for 5 days and move to the next big mmo. Those people will remain in your game. Hardcorers already left Gw2, but its still standing tall. If you love WildStar, you shouldn't be against this feature. It might alienate people, people who are used to that system, and lets face it, people hate change (looks at Windows 8). Play the game YOU want to play, and don't mess with other people's playstyle/opinions, unless they are cheating. 

You don't want to use auto attack? Fine then don't, that's your choice and as such I would respect it. But I do want auto attack even though I rabidly press "1" 10 times a second. I'm used to that and yes, I hate such change. I suppose millions other do. It has to be an option ... if its not then quite a lot people will pass out on it. And you will be only "elites" playing the game until most of you reach the top and move on

We've seen that scenario one too many times ... 

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

I've never been able to figure out why this concept so thoroughly divides the MMO universe like it does.  I personally think that having an auto-attack makes the game feel more like an RPG, and the auto-attack fills in the dead space between animations and makes the character seem more active in battle.  Ultimately though, if you end up pushing a button every 1.5 to 2 seconds anyways, what's the big deal if your character pokes with his sword on his own?  This mechanic also allows spellcaster types to deliver more impressively large single hits with their three second cast time spells.  

I've been playing Marauder in SWTOR recently and I think it demonstrates my point, to a certain extent.  The Ataru form strikes animates at the end of whatever attack triggers it-this ultimately makes my character feel like they more active in battle than they really are.  Switching from Ataru to another form where I don't get the extra strike; the character really feels different and the combat feels much less fluid.

Obviously, the changes WoW has undergone really led the way in changing from auto-attack to auto-attack-less.  Every class in WoW now has a button to hit pretty much every GCD.  That wasn't always the case.  I guess the current crop of game designers must think the game is easier to animate and balance without auto attacks and the various rotations and priority systems that define a classes gameplay styles can be adequately preserved on its own.   People like hitting a button every GCD and removing auto-attacks allows the game developers to force players to do it from level one onwards, even if all it is for the first six levels is "Smash!" "Smash!" "Smash!" "Smash!" "Swipe!" repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat.  Throwing out a heroic strike every four seconds is no longer sufficient to hold the attention of the modern gamer past level three. 

One of the things I didn't like about 4th Edition D&D is the fact that you would hardly ever just pick up your sword and swing it.  Just as a somewhat related aside.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Niche Game

I swear every time I watch these matches I find myself asking "Daigo who?"

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    The only game I can think of out of the new breed of MMOs that has significant auto-attack is EQ2. And I think they made a mistake by focusing on it. Its better to have strategic skill use than watered down auto-attack damage that causes your character to look like it has ADHD.
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Noone needs auto-attack, seriously.

In the 6 month or so I played WoW I've basically never used auto-attack, as it's wasted time to use it, even when questing.

TSW has no auto-attack either and the combat was rather good imho and Wildstar does look alot like TSW when it comes ot combat.

Pressing a button on your mouse isn't really that much complicated, especially when you apply macros to your buttons. You don't neen to press 1 multiple times in a row, you can simply program your mousebutton to repeat "keystroke 1" until you release the mousebutton.
    With a little fancier hardware (Cyborg MMO7, Logitech G13, etc) you can program everything, even complete skill-rotations and make combat-systems like this totally awesome.

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    I didn't even realize people still used the autoattack feature in game. I often forget about it. Isn't using it just having the game play for you? What fun is that? The only way it is even remotely useful to me is if I go AFK for a few seconds and a mob attacks me.
  • XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223

its a TIMESINK

so from no auto-attacking you derive that Wildstar won't have content, will be a huge time sink and that it won't be a challenge. You have the wildest imagination.

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

Oh come on you shortsighted people .... 

Auto-attack MUST be an option. It is an option in almost all games. And even though its option and I have it always activated by default in any MMO I have played and I have played a lot, I wouldn't believe you that even if you had autoattack, you wouldn't press the magic attack button rabidly. Every single one of us does that. Autoattack in most games is "flawed" and a person should always watch over it if they want to survive, 

If you all believe that no autoattack would make a better game, go play Mu Online. Although I used to put weights on my attack button and go out for coffee (because at the time mouse clickers didnt work as good as today). Really it needs to be an option for the legit players that will enjoy. The casuals, the people that want to relax at game, not the ones that grind their way to the top for 5 days and move to the next big mmo. Those people will remain in your game. Hardcorers already left Gw2, but its still standing tall. If you love WildStar, you shouldn't be against this feature. It might alienate people, people who are used to that system, and lets face it, people hate change (looks at Windows 8). Play the game YOU want to play, and don't mess with other people's playstyle/opinions, unless they are cheating. 

You don't want to use auto attack? Fine then don't, that's your choice and as such I would respect it. But I do want auto attack even though I rabidly press "1" 10 times a second. I'm used to that and yes, I hate such change. I suppose millions other do. It has to be an option ... if its not then quite a lot people will pass out on it. And you will be only "elites" playing the game until most of you reach the top and move on

We've seen that scenario one too many times ... 

I've played a lot of MMO's and I don't think I've found one that lets you toggle on/off the auto attack.

• girdisordergirdisorder Member UncommonPosts: 45
    in wow auto-attacks are .01% of your damage in a raid boss fight, why are we talking about this?
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

watched some youtube combat gameplay videos and i can say; shit. totally shit combat.

dead game.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

wow 2.0

with more cartoony graphic

well maybe ppl who left wow will find thier place there :P

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by TheHavok

But you can't preorder the game yet... so you wouldn't have anything to cancel.

soooooo.....why u gotta lie brah?

he be trollin'

It takes way too many people way too long to get this.

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225

well, i've played ws last week. truth is, OP isnt far away from truth. I rolled a simple warrior character

and i have to say, combat is very tedious. For his "basic" attack combo (3 strokes) you have to press 1 three times.

To dodge you have to stop attacking, doge, run back to your enemy and start attacking again. All this takes time so i 

guess ppl will just stop dodgeing at all. I'm sorry if i cant put it into better words but the combat in ws feels *slugish*.

• YouSamaYouSama Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Yes because a game that does your attacks for you is much more fun. Basically the OP is saying "if this game isn't what i want then it's a niche game" *stomps foot*

wow has autoattacks

name me ONE big mmo, without autoattack?

WoW isn't big because of auto-attacks. You're a delusional fool without any sense of what a good game is.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

OP why are you so obsess with auto-attacks anyways?

So that you can autohotkey afk farm mobs while you are watching movies?

You know it is not really called gaming when you do that right? lol

• jimprounerjimprouner Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

It is an obvious troll!  There are no preoders.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by jimprouner
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

It is an obvious troll!  There are no preoders.

A troll who loves afk farming, obviously :P