Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The World Needs EverQuest Next

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    So we don't know the reasons by Sony published them. But they do make money and I suspect they had their reasons. I'll just blame the actual developers for such a crappy job.

For sure they make money, that's why we get these dev shops churning out garbage. 

I'll wait and see what happens with EQN. I really do hope I'm wrong. I mean I should be wrong, EQ is like their franchise MMO.

SOE Live should tell more I guess. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Im taking a wait and see attitude with EQNext. SOE has put out some garbage in the past and I really do not like what they have done with some games.

There not the Devs, but they do publish these games. So some responsibility falls on them. Too much hype for so little info also has me a little concerened.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Gallus85

Originally posted by Arclan OP makes excellent points. The WoW masses must be ready for a new challenge by now. Massive opportunity for $OE if they play their cards right which, history has shown, they don't. But I'm hoping they have finally learned a thing or two about business.
    History has shown?

...List of Awesome SOE Games...

Yes history has shown $OE mismanages their IP. I completely agree that SOE developers create magnificent work and at an incredible pace.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I see games like Demons Souls and Dark Souls become so popular because of their difficulty and those are modern games for modern gaming market so I dont see why devs are so afraid to make a mmo difficult.  Because Dark Souls take up just as much free time in a persons life as any mmo.  I remember playing Demons Souls for over 10 hours a day sometimes.
  • Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Arclan

Originally posted by Arclan OP makes excellent points. The WoW masses must be ready for a new challenge by now. Massive opportunity for $OE if they play their cards right which, history has shown, they don't. But I'm hoping they have finally learned a thing or two about business.
    History has shown?

...List of Awesome SOE Games...

Yes history has shown $OE mismanages their IP. I completely agree that SOE developers create magnificent work and at an incredible pace.

That's an opinion and a stretch of one at that.

LA mismanaged SWG, not SOE.

EQ was managed great.  It takes real solid management to keep an MMORPG alive for 14 years.

EQ2 was also managed well.

Vanguard was taken over by SOE and revived with defibrillators.  That's solid management if I've ever seen it.

Planetside and PS2 have also been well taken care of.

I won't comment on other SOE games because I haven't played them personally.  But given my experiences with their games, I can hardly think of any company that both creates top notch products and manages them as well as SOE.  It's easy to nit pick and make criticism, but if you take a more objective view of the things they've done, they stand head and shoulders over most other companies.

They are by no means perfect, but no one is, and both their development team and post production management is pretty stellar.  I feel that MMORPG players invest a lot of time and passion into games, and are a quite a bit hyper-critical, especially when it's not  really deserved.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

Originally posted by DamonVile

EQ2 (Was just as good was WoW *If you like WoW*, but had much higher PC system requirements so it didn't take off, but offered everything WoW did and more)

Now it is. At launch it was a terrible game that had little in common with wow. It was hardly the system requirements that sent people over to wow. It was the lack of fun.

It is a very different game now.

At launch is was almost exactly the same as WoW.  It had faction pvp, group dungeons, raid content, a nearly identical combat system, etc etc. 

The only main differences was EQ was less solo friendly, and the system requirements were much higher.  People were always complaining about how their PC ran WoW fine but EQ2 was getting poor fps (I didn't have that problem because I'm a PC enthusiast with a nice custom build rig).  And we all know how people like easier games.  Combine the two and what do you get?  WoW subs vs EQ2 subs.

Aside from what I covered, WoW and EQ2 were almost identical in the offered features and amount of content.  I liked EQ2 personally, but I understand why it didn't turn out as popular as WoW.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by craftseeker
    Originally posted by Havepie

The MMO world has taken a terrible turn from the days of EQ1. Developers have had to balance the wants and needs of a younger generation that needs instant gratification, and an older generation with less time on their hands. The days of camping 28 hours for JBoots are a thing in the past, the day of grinding in a dungeon from level 22 to 23 is all but over. Today, if you die, you simply respawn and go something else, you could even die as a mode of transportation. Yesteryear, if you died, you just signed up for 2 hours of getting your body back or paying someone to do it.

The landscape has changed, and while I, like most people, don't have time to burn into a game, I miss the sense of achievement when I finally get my epic after a month long journey. It will take a titan, one like SOE to right the ship in EQN. World of Warcraft capitalized on the instant gratification model, the easy model, but I am ready, and the world is ready for SOE to deliver the best of both worlds. To innovate and amaze. To Immerse and wonder us all over again.

I look forward to growing old friendships and forging new ones once again in the world of Norrath.

Always chuckle when I see that sort of comment (highlighted in red) what about the gamers like me, over 50 retired or semi-retired cashed up and more free time than a college student?

But as for Everquest NEXT and the original Everquest, that is right on the money IMHO.

Me as well, most of my online friends are 40-60, people disabled or retired...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Sorry have to just add :)

Most of the gaming world has not even heard of EQ or EQnext, :)

All MMO suffer this lack of site. i have a group of about 40 people in a corp im in who i have played with for last 4yrs when i said about me playing EQ Next when it hits OB 90% of them said Whats that then...

So even for me only after my browsing this forum for a new game to break up eve time (i like to play 3 games similtanous (sp)  did i find out about EQ Next :)

Just thought i would add that.. change the title to the MMO world or EQ1 players need EQN and ill agree fully lol

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Yeah...of all the things the world needs EQN is at the top....

Then again from reactions here since Smed opened his mouth about EQN the first time this game will cure cancer,create peace in the Middle East.reverse global warming,end racism and all other isms and make you waffles and cake at the same time so maybe the OP is right.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

OP makes GREAT points. I would LOVE to see this game released as advertised. However! There are a couple really, REALLY good reasons to cringe. 

1) Wizardry Online

2) Dragon's Prophet

Both games had such potential. I mean SOE basically took the Wizardry franchise and added in some permadeath and how can you mess it up? Well, download it. 

Secondly, you've got Dragon's Prophet! Ummmmm, let's see, it's freakin' Runewalker. Oh, oh, yeah and there are freakin' DRAGONS! How can you possibly mess that up? Well.... download it. 

I am literally ill thinking about EQN. First, I want to love it, I pray that it is half as good as it's being hyped, but then I also look at the other games that have been horrible. It's not even that the ideas are horrible, but the games are unfinished, unrealized, and uninspired. 

So! I think that the real question here, since you've basically got someone (Smed) trying to control the head of a dragon (SOE), is what wins? Money or "The Vision", because the delta between what we're expecting and what will actually be delivered will ultimately be sopping up cash, so unless someone writes a blank check to get this game done right, it will likely let us down. 

You do realize you are using games that SOE Published Not Developed right? Any games that are poor are not the fault of the publisher(unless the publisher is also the developer). Those games were developed by Gamepot and Runewaker respectively. SOE published so they use SC, instead of Gamepot Gold or Runewaker Coin or whatever they would call it. Having publishing contracts in no way makes SOE Responsible for their Quality, that is only on the developers.

So in the book as it should be written, SOE has always made Great MMO's. EQN will be no exception.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Then again from reactions here since Smed opened his mouth about EQN the first time this game will cure cancer,create peace in the Middle East.reverse global warming,end racism and all other isms and make you waffles and cake at the same time so maybe the OP is right.

Well, not quite.  It may lead to the cure for cancer, time will tell, but peace in the Mid-East... Nope.  Only a few well placed nukes will do that, but then we'd have to decide to kill a bunch of our friends as well.  Reverse global warming... Well being that most eco-fools have no idea what they are talking about, I'll just say that will EQN WILL reverse this because it will cause hundreds of thousands of gamers to stay at home increasing the demand for more energy, so more coal, oil and natural gas will need to be mined, or more forests will be cut down to make room for wind and solar farms (kinda ironic that deforestation will be needed to make room for enough Chinese solar panels and huge wind mills to cut down on oil use), this will increase greenhouse emissions, melting the polar icecaps faster putting more fresh water into the Atlantic, decreasing the salinity of said ocean thereby shutting the Gulf Stream down causing a rapid progression into the next great ICE AGE.  THAT will obviously reverse global warming.  Racism will actually increase because of the overwhelming hatred for all thing GNOME, and it may make waffles and cake, but the Moms will gladly make it while the goobers take up space in Mom and Dad's Basements!

Originally posted by Latronus

Well, not quite.  It may lead to the cure for cancer, time will tell, but peace in the Mid-East... Nope.  Only a few well placed nukes will do that, but then we'd have to decide to kill a bunch of our friends as well.  Reverse global warming... Well being that most eco-fools have no idea what they are talking about, I'll just say that will EQN WILL reverse this because it will cause hundreds of thousands of gamers to stay at home increasing the demand for more energy, so more coal, oil and natural gas will need to be mined, or more forests will be cut down to make room for wind and solar farms (kinda ironic that deforestation will be needed to make room for enough Chinese solar panels and huge wind mills to cut down on oil use), this will increase greenhouse emissions, melting the polar icecaps faster putting more fresh water into the Atlantic, decreasing the salinity of said ocean thereby shutting the Gulf Stream down causing a rapid progression into the next great ICE AGE.  THAT will obviously reverse global warming.  Racism will actually increase because of the overwhelming hatred for all thing GNOME, and it may make waffles and cake, but the Moms will gladly make it while the goobers take up space in Mom and Dad's Basements!

All the educated people call it climate change btw.  Not global warming.  That's a really old, dated and incorrect term for what is happening.

• DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307

I am a Dave Georgeson fanboi. Once he came back and into the EQ franchise the atmosphere around the game and in the game changed for the better, imho. The whole morale of customer service and the way the forums were moderated and better communication with us about game updates and better community just happened to bring me in around the time he took over.

I started in 2007 and the game was dark and dreary, the atmosphere, the community, everyone seemed to have bittervets syndrome. Only recently has it really changed. Things seem bright and happy and cheerful. I dont know how to explain it but as a relative outsider coming from WoW that has been my perception. When Smokejumper arrived things changed.

And that is what has me excited for EQN. If there was still that aura of gloom and doom that many of you guys seem to be holding onto I wouldn't be here.

They have been trying new things like SOEMote and the whole free to play changeover. They are taking chances in an organized fashion, one step at a time but the good news is they are doing things differently not just for them but different from the entire industry. What other game opened up a free EQ2 server and then saw it's success and went full free to play? What other game introduces SOEMote. Some love it some think it is stupid but for RPers it is pretty cool and SOE is not limiting things to just the mainstream.

EQ didn't try to get 500K subscribers. WoW didn't try to get 12 million subscribers. They simply had an audience in mind and direction and a "vision" and they went with it. The uniqueness of it is what brought it to the masses. Everyone assumes every game HAS to try to get 10 million subs and conform to this formula that so far has fizzled for every company but WoW. I hope that EQN has a new formula all it's own and we will finally have choice between WoW's Coke and EQN's Pepsi.

Originally posted by dejoblue

I am a Dave Georgeson fanboi. Once he came back and into the EQ franchise the atmosphere around the game and in the game changed for the better, imho. The whole morale of customer service and the way the forums were moderated and better communication with us about game updates and better community just happened to bring me in around the time he took over.

I started in 2007 and the game was dark and dreary, the atmosphere, the community, everyone seemed to have bittervets syndrome. Only recently has it really changed. Things seem bright and happy and cheerful. I dont know how to explain it but as a relative outsider coming from WoW that has been my perception. When Smokejumper arrived things changed.

And that is what has me excited for EQN. If there was still that aura of gloom and doom that many of you guys seem to be holding onto I wouldn't be here.

They have been trying new things like SOEMote and the whole free to play changeover. They are taking chances in an organized fashion, one step at a time but the good news is they are doing things differently not just for them but different from the entire industry. What other game opened up a free EQ2 server and then saw it's success and went full free to play? What other game introduces SOEMote. Some love it some think it is stupid but for RPers it is pretty cool and SOE is not limiting things to just the mainstream.

EQ didn't try to get 500K subscribers. WoW didn't try to get 12 million subscribers. They simply had an audience in mind and direction and a "vision" and they went with it. The uniqueness of it is what brought it to the masses. Everyone assumes every game HAS to try to get 10 million subs and conform to this formula that so far has fizzled for every company but WoW. I hope that EQN has a new formula all it's own and we will finally have choice between WoW's Coke and EQN's Pepsi.

I agree, especially about subs.  Subs don't = quality.  WoW has millions of subs and I found it shallow and lackluster in many areas.  SWG was never extremely popular, and declined in subs rapidly right after launch, but I thought it was an amazing game.  EQ was one of my favorite MMO experiences ever, and I think at it's peek it barely broke 500k subs.

There's also other non-MMORPG examples.  Like the SIMS are one of the most popular and best selling PC games of all time, yet I can't stand to play the game for a few minutes at a time.

CoD is wildly more popular than Battlefield, and I've always found the battlefield series to be much more interesting and provided much better features and innovation.

StarCraft and SC2 are the most popular RTS games on the planet, yet I found SupCom and Company of Heroes to be largely better games in many aspects.

Point is, I don't care if EQN only attracts 10k players.  If it's a fun game, it's a fun game.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by w407309

Sorry have to just add :)

Most of the gaming world has not even heard of EQ or EQnext, :)

All MMO suffer this lack of site. i have a group of about 40 people in a corp im in who i have played with for last 4yrs when i said about me playing EQ Next when it hits OB 90% of them said Whats that then...

So even for me only after my browsing this forum for a new game to break up eve time (i like to play 3 games similtanous (sp)  did i find out about EQ Next :)

Just thought i would add that.. change the title to the MMO world or EQ1 players need EQN and ill agree fully lol

It's interesting how skewed pit awareness can get and how one can assume that these games are all in the public eye.

When I was at PAX East, waiting in line for ESO, I engaged a few people in line in conversation,. As we talked about ESO I made reference to some other mmo'sand I was surprised at how many of the games I named were not even known. this was in line both days I waited as well as the ESO party.

People seemed to know the old standards and City of Heroes but mot games other than WoW (and City of Heroes or Guild Wars/GW 2) gave me blank stares.

So I'm not surprised that others don't know about this.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Maybe I'm of an unpopular opinion, but I also enjoyed WoW after Everquest until Wrath of the Lich King to be honest. Once heroics were faceroll AoE spamming, I felt like that is when MMO's were going down the drain. I had a lot of fun in Vanilla WoW and Burning Crusade and even through aprts of Wrath of the Lich King.
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Latronus

All the educated people call it climate change btw.  Not global warming.  That's a really old, dated and incorrect term for what is happening.

They only changed it to climate change so people couldn't say hey it snowed today...global warming doesn't exist!!!!

They only changed it to climate change so people couldn't say hey it snowed today...global warming doesn't exist!!!!

I think that's an accurate reason. :P

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

I remember when WOW was about to be released and it wasn't nothing to do with players being bored with EQ it was because tons of players left for EQ2 and found that they couldn't play it on there gaming pc. It is very hard to go back to EQ when the players you have played with for years are playing EQ2. A lot of players came back as i rember players logging in and asking is there anybody still playing from there old guild.

Then blizzard did a great job at hyping WOW and a lot of the guys that had returned to EQ and had nobody they used to play with gave WOW a try. As did most of the EQ2 players as EQ2 wasn't working very good at the time. So WOW had great timing and marketing and they built huge communities that spread out to lots of new players as internet connections around that time became common place.

So you ended up with every developer trying to copy WOW for the wrong reason. They made the games they made easy mode because they think thats what the majority wants but i don't belive that to be true anymore its just what they expect and are used to and it will be hard to get them into a game like EQ because of its difficulty.

I hope EQ have the guts and recourses to make a EQ style game and stay with it and not bend to the wingers that it will get. If players give games like old EQ time they will find them way more rewarding that anything thats out there at the moment.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I'm getting a little tired of reading threads on how EQN is going to solve all our MMO problems, bring world peace and cure cancer. This constant hyperbole is starting to annoy, somewhat.
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    I have never played eq1 or eq2. That being said I am really holding out hope that eqn turns out great. I know soe has made some mistakes in the past but who has not? SO I am saying good luck to them and hope they deliver on the promise.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Arclan

OP makes excellent points. The WoW masses must be ready for a new challenge by now. Massive opportunity for $OE if they play their cards right which, history has shown, they don't. But I'm hoping they have finally learned a thing or two about business.

Most of WoWs masses dont want a challenge, they want to be entertained like they were in WoW....As for EQN, I'd like ot see a return to the EQ1 glory days too but it isn't going to happen.....The second Smed thinks he is losing a dollar he will wowify the game like he did with EQ2 and it will be just another game like EQ2 is.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by keenber

Then blizzard did a great job at hyping WOW and a lot of the guys that had returned to EQ and had nobody they used to play with gave WOW a try. As did most of the EQ2 players as EQ2 wasn't working very good at the time. So WOW had great timing and marketing and they built huge communities that spread out to lots of new players as internet connections around that time became common place.

That was a quick trip considering EQ2 and WoW were released like 2 weeks apart. lol  No slight intended. image

But I agree, EQ was good but some wanted something new and EQ2 did have demanding hardware issues whilst WoW had less of a pc heavy prerequisite.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

What the world needs, is a MMO that we all love to play.

Free, fast internet connections.

Hot, Healthy food delivered through our computers

And teleportation tubes....

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    I know they were relesed very close together but the point was it was eq2 that drew most of the great guilds and players from EQ.