Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When does the difficulty rise?

Comments

• poopoopoppoopoopop Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by Neutor
    Originally posted by poopoopop
    Originally posted by Kayo45
    [quote]my character was "Butt Savage"[/quote]
    aand that explains it...

Because my name nullifies my opinion on how incredibly boring/easy it is so far?  You square enix defense drones try to downplay any negative feedback with a religious fervor. 

I'm not down playing any negative feedback at all but there is no reason to lie about it.  If you haven't done it then you have no idea and obviously you haven't really done it

Edit:  so at least you have played but the highest job you have is only low 30's so again, you have not done everything in the beta

Please tell me what I havent done in the beta.  I've done every dungeon available.  I have finished the story quest.  I have joined a grand company.  What else is there?  Crafting has nothing to do with difficulty, and neither does grinding low level quests. FATE's are a zerg and can be faceroll easy or impossible depending on the amount of people that show up.

well I can't view your achieves but with your health I highly doubt you did Brayflox's Longstop...if so then I stand corrected.

Probably because you can only see the health from my marauder which is currently equiped.  I did it on conjurer.  Brayflox certainly looked pretty, like everything in the game. I would venture to say it was one of the easiest dungeons so far.  Hopefully they tune it up a bit, the last dragon boss was a total pushover.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I'm not down playing any negative feedback at all but there is no reason to lie about it.  If you haven't done it then you have no idea and obviously you haven't really done it

Edit:  so at least you have played but the highest job you have is only low 30's so again, you have not done everything in the beta

Please tell me what I havent done in the beta.  I've done every dungeon available.  I have finished the story quest.  I have joined a grand company.  What else is there?  Crafting has nothing to do with difficulty, and neither does grinding low level quests. FATE's are a zerg and can be faceroll easy or impossible depending on the amount of people that show up.

well I can't view your achieves but with your health I highly doubt you did Brayflox's Longstop...if so then I stand corrected.

Perhaps you can explain something to me.

All throughout beta I was hearing about how 'Brayfox is so hard', or 'there's a push on the beta forums to nerf Brayfox'. Then I did the dungeon, not once. Not twice. But four times (with different groups).

The dungeon is a joke. The dragon aside, it is one of my least favorite dungeons so far, has the stupidest mechanics out of all the ones currently available, and really the only challenge is if you have someone in your group dumb enough to run off on their own.

So I'm wondering... where is the difficulty coming from?

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by Mr_Mechanical

I'm currently in the beta, but haven't played much because of a few reasons, mostly that I'm bored of quest hub games, and the early levels of FFXIV just really remind me of "ok let's get you started on your questing".

So, I read a lot of people here saying that there are dungeons at lvl 20 or so... are these instanced?   Am I hearing this right?   Dungeons?     

There is a lot of possitive feedback they are getting for ARR, but I have to wonder if any of this is coming from FFXI vets.   

Anyone else bothered by the way things are going in ARR?   

Ask yourself this;      If you had an option to play FFXIV: ARR    or   FFXI HD,  which would you play?

Dungeons start at 15, but yes, they are instanced.

I played my share of FFXI, and still have a soft spot for the game, but I'm perfectly fine with the direction XIV is going. I also have friends who were hardcore into XI for years, did everything there is to do, loved it and avoided other games...and they are in love with XIV. It pretty much is FFXI HD in terms of general charm/nostalgia, but mechanically it's got more of this generation's trappings. It already has more variety of content than your average MMO, not all of which is instanced of course, but if you're extremely adverse to anything mechanically similar to other modern MMOs, then you're going to be disappointed with FFXIV: ARR.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

You can die to monsters pre-10 easily if you're not careful.

I feel like some people are trying to bend the game to fit their idea of "MMO's are easy/mindless/buttonmash" and then trying to pass it off as a fact. There are monsters that can kill you, that make you move around unless you want to be hit by a powerful attack and monsters that definitely can't be dealt with without a single thought.

The game becomes increasingly difficult at all times and teaches the player new mechanics on a constant basis. The game is the opposite of "no interesting mechanics until level cap", the game is always teaching the players new things through guildhests, instances and quests in general.

It's not the game's fault that many players have already learned these mechanics. You're not any more important than the folks without prior experience.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
    Originally posted by aesperus

Perhaps you can explain something to me.

All throughout beta I was hearing about how 'Brayfox is so hard', or 'there's a push on the beta forums to nerf Brayfox'. Then I did the dungeon, not once. Not twice. But four times (with different groups).

The dungeon is a joke. The dragon aside, it is one of my least favorite dungeons so far, has the stupidest mechanics out of all the ones currently available, and really the only challenge is if you have someone in your group dumb enough to run off on their own.

So I'm wondering... where is the difficulty coming from?

I can only assume the complaints of difficulty are coming from people who are totally new to MMORPGs.  As I said above, I thought Brayflox was one of the easiest so far.

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445

Brayflox was easy with an interesting boss fight that made it a fun challenge, but hard? Not really -- not for someone like me who has so many 50s and knows how to play the game. I'm tired of so many people crying for Nerfs, and normally these are the people who won't even play the game for very long.

The game will have some issues at launch cus of the nerf-fests, but we have to remember they are adding additional difficulty levels to all dungeons, so we'll be able to challenge ourselves on the harder difficulties at launch.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by VanadromArda

Brayflox was easy with an interesting boss fight that made it a fun challenge, but hard? Not really -- not for someone like me who has so many 50s and knows how to play the game. I'm tired of so many people crying for Nerfs, and normally these are the people who won't even play the game for very long.

The game will have some issues at launch cus of the nerf-fests, but we have to remember they are adding additional difficulty levels to all dungeons, so we'll be able to challenge ourselves on the harder difficulties at launch.

Can you link a source or something about having different difficulty  levels. First I've heard of this and I'm interested to know more. Will this be like a heroic version that you do at endgame? Why are you saying I'm trolling, what the fuck is wrong with you.

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    aand that explains it...

Because my name nullifies my opinion on how incredibly boring/easy it is so far?  You square enix defense drones try to downplay any negative feedback with a religious fervor. 

Yes it does. I bet you thought that name was clever/funny when you made it didnt you?? You mustve been giggling like a little school girl at the thought of everyone seeing your funny character name. Troll name = troll = troll posts.

Name me a harder MMO? There is plenty of challenge in the game. Yeah once you know what to do its easy but thats how it is in almost any game, specially MMOs. You figure out the trick (or ask/look it up) and it becomes trivial. Hell, outlevel the content and its cake. Yet here you are, talking like its the easiest game ever, tooting your own horn like youre some MMO god among scrubs, because you claim only noobs will have a hard time despite the fact that noobs can /faceroll their way to end game in almost every single other MMO in existence.

The fact your first post since creating your account was basically "only noobs find this hard, itll be F2P soon" indicates youre obviously just here to bad mouth the game. Your name does indicate youre an obvious troll that wants attention. And your endless, baseless, rants on how incredibly easy the game is without posting any comparison or anything to back up the claims other than "i r leet, only nubs find this hard" only further confirms it. It may not be the hardest game in existence, or even the hardest MMO, but as far as MMO's go, it offers plenty of challenges.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Thanks for all the detailed answers. I'm still not sure if I'll manage to endure the first few levels, but it does look like some of the later content may be worth it. Low difficulty is one of my pet peeves with MMOs in general. I don't think it's a real game when you don't lose from time to time.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

I didnt make it past level 12 THM. I didnt think it was an easy game, but then Im not Pro. Didnt do a dungeon yet either. I went crafting/gathering for the last beta and found that fun.

Maybe its me, im a baddie, and I suck. So FF14 is a challenge !

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Scalpless

So, I participated in the last beta and leveled up to level 10-ish. I was quite impressed by the game's polish, attention to detail, decent quest dialogue and the variety of activities you can participate in to get experience. What I wasn't impressed by at all was combat. Not because it was bad mechanically, but because I (an Archer) could win by pressing practically any buttons in any order or just spamming my first skill.

Now, I know MMOs are usually quite easy at first, but in the last two themeparks I played - GW2 and TSW - it was at least possible to lose a battle without acting like a complete idiot even during the first few hours of the game. It seems almost impossible in FF14. This is made worse by the fact that most mobs in my starter area weren't aggressive, so I was always at an advantage while initiating combat. I participated in some FATEs and they were slightly more challenging, but I never really had to worry about dieing in them, either, even though some were a level or two above my level.

Slow and tactical combat is my favorite, but it's only good when you have to use some tactics. When you don't, it's even more boring than easy action combat. So, when does this game's difficulty rise consistently? I've read even the first few dungeons pose no real challenge and have absolutely no desire to play for dozens of hours just to get to the "good stuff".

Hehe trust me when I say it had alooot to do with your class, some classes have it easy at start some dont. As an archer you dont have to stay put to cast an ability you can run and shoot, stay out of a mobs range thus avoiding special abilities with ease.

That is not the case with melee. especially during fates where a group of mobs use a special attack at once and you , as melee happen to be in the middle of it and try to escape and bam your life goes to hell and your pretty dead. I died alot as melee with aggroing mobs or mobs that i did not understand what their special ability was, took me a bit to learn them and get out of the way. but casters and the archer class do have it easier to get out of the way.

It has its difficulty atleast, much harder than some games i have played.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by VanadromArda

Can you link a source or something about having different difficulty  levels. First I've heard of this and I'm interested to know more. Will this be like a heroic version that you do at endgame? Why are you saying I'm trolling, what the fuck is wrong with you.

Let me try and answer this for him, your username here is Pooppooppoop and your in game name is butt secks (or something I don't know I don't really care), you came here and posted that all content in beta is faceroll easy, braindead easy, and that anyone who doesn't beat it the first time and figure it out in seconds is a complete MMO noob, as well as other insults.

So all you contribute is insults.  Why would the community ever want to embrace someone like you?  Serious question.  I prefer playing MMORPG's with a good community and personally I don't see how you could ever be a positive contribution to one after reading just a few of your posts.  Your point that the game is not difficult enough for you is valid, and hopefully my point that people like you make MMO's less enjoyable for others won't be censored by the trolldefending moderators here.

I beat every encounter in every MMORPG I have played that I attempted.  Yet I'm not here trolling all those games as "faceroll easy", difficulty is subjective your unneeded insults towards people who play the game, and people who god forbid wiped to Ifrit, or one of the dungeons (most people playing the game) are not constructive and rude. 

This is not the hardest content the game will have to offer, that should be obvious seeing as how it is low level content some is placeholder (like ifrit), we don't even have jobs yet (which are what you use in proper groups), and the only group content in the limited beta is 4-person.  Yet even still some people can find it difficult without being the morons you imply they are.

So again, why are you surprised that people call you a troll.  If you come here and insult people what do you expect for them to lift you on their shoulders and parade you around as their new god?

aand that explains it...

Yes it does. I bet you thought that name was clever/funny when you made it didnt you?? You mustve been giggling like a little school girl at the thought of everyone seeing your funny character name. Troll name = troll = troll posts.

Name me a harder MMO? There is plenty of challenge in the game. Yeah once you know what to do its easy but thats how it is in almost any game, specially MMOs. You figure out the trick (or ask/look it up) and it becomes trivial. Hell, outlevel the content and its cake. Yet here you are, talking like its the easiest game ever, tooting your own horn like youre some MMO god among scrubs, because you claim only noobs will have a hard time despite the fact that noobs can /faceroll their way to end game in almost every single other MMO in existence.

The fact your first post since creating your account was basically "only noobs find this hard, itll be F2P soon" indicates youre obviously just here to bad mouth the game. Your name does indicate youre an obvious troll that wants attention. And your endless, baseless, rants on how incredibly easy the game is without posting any comparison or anything to back up the claims other than "i r leet, only nubs find this hard" only further confirms it. It may not be the hardest game in existence, or even the hardest MMO, but as far as MMO's go, it offers plenty of challenges.

I never claimed there were harder MMOs.  It's just as easy as every other game that has been unable to sustain a paying population. This is the point, besides the final fantasy wrapper, veteran mmo fans have played this exact game many times over the years. I really do hope the endgame is amazing and can retain the masses interest, but I seriously doubt it will.  If history has taught us anything, the theme park pay to play mmo is dead.

aand that explains it...

I never claimed there were harder MMOs.  It's just as easy as every other game that has been unable to sustain a paying population. This is the point, besides the final fantasy wrapper, veteran mmo fans have played this exact game many times over the years. I really do hope the endgame is amazing and can retain the masses interest, but I seriously doubt it will.  If history has taught us anything, the theme park pay to play mmo is dead.

Okay great, so this game will "die in a month" and all the morons that play it will go play Hello Kitty Online to get the same level of enjoyment and challenge.  Since you know this already maybe you can move along now rather than continuing to troll the game and the people playing it.

I think that would make a lot of people happy, if this game turns off people like you then that has to be a positive thing for the people who stayed most of which do not enjoy playing a game where they are going to be regularly insulted for playing a game they enjoy by some "gaming elitist".  Congratulations you get a virtual smiley face sticker for being better than everyone else,  Will you leave everyone else alone now and let them enjoy their games?

Side note I remember plenty of "Butt Secks" players in Everquest and FFXI too, you people never change and your departure from the "sorry state of the industry" can't come quickly enough for me.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    aand that explains it...

The beginning of a new game is easy? STOP THE PRESSES... the heck you say?!

Out of curiosity, did you do any of the lvl 25+ guildhests..... did you think they were faceroll easy as well?  If nothing else, you didn't think the lvl 25-30 guildhests bode very well for pve design for lvl 50 content?  Doing the Guildhests from 25+ had really interesting mechanics not so evident in the dungeons.

Unlike you, my experience tells me the developers have some pretty cool ideas for boss mechanics... I cannot wait to try it out.

Originally posted by Murugan
    aand that explains it...

Okay great, so this game will "die in a month" and all the morons that play it will go play Hello Kitty Online to get the same level of enjoyment and challenge.  Since you know this already maybe you can move along now rather than continuing to troll the game and the people playing it.

I think that would make a lot of people happy, if this game turns off people like you then that has to be a positive thing for the people who stayed most of which do not enjoy playing a game where they are going to be regularly insulted for playing a game they enjoy by some "gaming elitist".  Congratulations you get a virtual smiley face sticker for being better than everyone else,  Will you leave everyone else alone now and let them enjoy their games?

I never said it would die in a month, but please keep making things up to try and invalidate my point.  I'll be playing the game when it launches in the hopes it turns out well. Anyways, you people are worse than holocaust deniers, please continue the cirlejerk.

Originally posted by ZizouX
    aand that explains it...

Out of curiosity, did you do any of the lvl 25+ guildhests..... did you think they were faceroll easy as well?  If nothing else, you didn't think the lvl 25-30 guildhests bode very well for pve design for lvl 50 content?  Doing the Guildhests from 25+ had really interesting mechanics not so evident in the dungeons.

Unlike you, my experience tells me the developers have some pretty cool ideas for boss mechanics... I cannot wait to try it out.

I quite liked some of the guild hests. The poison one was probably the hardest as a conjurer since people loved to sit in the  clouds. I hope they can add some that are really challenging.  Maybe they will be fun enough to do more than once.

Originally posted by Murugan
    aand that explains it...

I never said it would die in a month, but please keep making things up to try and invalidate my point.  I'll be playing the game when it launches in the hopes it turns out well. Anyways, you people are worse than holocaust deniers, please continue the cirlejerk.

Yes not sharing in your insulting of "noobs" is the same thing as denying the deaths of millions during the holocaoust. 

I hope that ignore works cross server at launch.  Thankfully we have that feature on this forum too, I will so miss the wise musings of someone named poop poop pooop.  I hope you, and all the other butt secks, poopyface, smellyrectums find an insulated community where you can all just be pricks to eachother and leave everyone else out of it.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

if u have played rift and done dungeons, u find FF ARR combat as a joke. really. its so easy and boring. 

oh and u dont need even use mouse, u can play with one hand. not supriced if some one play tis with legs hehe.

Originally posted by ZizouX
    aand that explains it...

I quite liked some of the guild hests. The poison one was probably the hardest as a conjurer since people loved to sit in the  clouds. I hope they can add some that are really challenging.  Maybe they will be fun enough to do more than once.

The void one could be hard and the marlboro one was interesting.  The bomb one was awesome, it was easy, but fun.

You don't think some of these concepts can be really cool and challenging during end game?  Coming from personal experience, 1.0 had challenging content.  People trying Ifrit. Garuda, and Moogle on hard mode will die repeatedly.  Those boss fights have unforgiving mechanics, where a single mistake = death.

So it's very premature for you to make proclamations about difficulty of game content during a beta that is capped at lv 30 content.

Originally posted by Arskaaa

if u have played rift and done dungeons, u find FF ARR combat as a joke. really. its so easy and boring. 

Rift...(lol)

The dungeon design, boss mechanics and raiding is fun.  The combat in RIFT is atrocious for one reason... MACROS.

As a dps, i combined 30 abilities into 6 macros based on a priority system.  The macro system completely killed the game.  All you do is spam the same macros that automatically optimizes your dps based on said priority.

The same goes for tanking....  Rift is a great game, but some of the mechanics you speak of killed the game for me.   FFXIV has better graphics, better music, better story, better crafting, better engine, etc.

I'll stick with FFXIV but I would never fault anyone for loving Rift.  It has a lot of amazing qualities.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Level 50. Hopefully Version 2.0 will be more challenging than Version 1.0 was. I played all the way up to patch 1.20. The only 2 instances that I found to be challenging were the Ifrit and Garuda fights. Everything else was either too easy or just a plain snore with the mobs having one gimmicky trick up its sleeve during the entire fight.

Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

Level 50. Hopefully Version 2.0 will be more challenging than Version 1.0 was. I played all the way up to patch 1.20. The only 2 instances that I found to be challenging were the Ifrit and Garuda fights. Everything else was either too easy or just a plain snore with the mobs having one gimmicky trick up its sleeve during the entire fight.

Aurum Vale and Cutter's Cry dungeons were not easy for first timers...

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Scalpless

So, I participated in the last beta and leveled up to level 10-ish. I was quite impressed by the game's polish, attention to detail, decent quest dialogue and the variety of activities you can participate in to get experience. What I wasn't impressed by at all was combat. Not because it was bad mechanically, but because I (an Archer) could win by pressing practically any buttons in any order or just spamming my first skill.

Now, I know MMOs are usually quite easy at first, but in the last two themeparks I played - GW2 and TSW - it was at least possible to lose a battle without acting like a complete idiot even during the first few hours of the game. It seems almost impossible in FF14. This is made worse by the fact that most mobs in my starter area weren't aggressive, so I was always at an advantage while initiating combat. I participated in some FATEs and they were slightly more challenging, but I never really had to worry about dieing in them, either, even though some were a level or two above my level.

Slow and tactical combat is my favorite, but it's only good when you have to use some tactics. When you don't, it's even more boring than easy action combat. So, when does this game's difficulty rise consistently? I've read even the first few dungeons pose no real challenge and have absolutely no desire to play for dozens of hours just to get to the "good stuff".

it doesnt get difficult ever so far that Ive seen (played tyhrough all content but last 2 dungeons)

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• RupskulRupskul Member Posts: 71

To the OP - and to add on to my comments earlier.  Nobody knows what this game will end up like.  Despite the fact that someone made fun of the "it's just beta" comment, in this case I think it is actually true.  They clearly have kept some things out of the beta and they've said that they dumbed it down for beta as well.  I think the fights they have in there now will be more difficult - because they were easy no question.  And there will be more.

I think you'd be better off looking at what FFXI had compared to what other MMOs have or what is in the Beta now.  Until FFXI went to level 99 cap some of the hardest mobs were in the first expansion - and the gear from those bosses remained the standard for years and years.  It took me five years to get fully geared.  No expansions up until that time took the place of the body piece that was a drop in the first expansion.

Absolute Virtue - a boss in a later expansion - took weeks of farm/fight/farm/fight to get the stuff needed to pop it - and even then it wasn't guaranteed.  And in the year or two (don't remember exactly) I played after AV was introduced I don't think anyone had beaten it without cheating.  I fought it a few times and we never came close.  Got it down to 50% once, but then all hell broke loose.  the first guild that beat it had virtually the entire server there helping with adds and such.  It was brutal, but kind of awesome.

I doubt it will be quite that hard in XIV, just because the market has changed.  But I'm fairly certain that this will be more challenging/exciting than any other MMO.  If it's not, I will be extremely disappointed and quit after a few months.