Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Longevity? Still havent pressed the "purchase button" yet.

drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Hello TSW players! I played a 3 day buddy pass and had a lot of fun! Tried out all 3 factions (I liek Dragon the best, sword and elemental magic was fun!)

My pass ran up today, was hoping there was some specials going for players looking to buy the game. I heard Amazon had this special key that gave players who bought through them TSW points, enough to buy a few expansions. So I was a little disappointed when I found out it was just simply pay 30 bucks lol.

I am now curious to see what players think of the End Game. Once I max out a character....what is there to do end game? Before I spend my money I want to make sure the game will entertain me longer then GW2 did (5 months.)

Thanks for any and all input! Please keep the topic clean and lets be nice boys and girls!

Comments

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Anyone have any feed back at all? Would be nice.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Depending on your play time and style, you can get several months of play or longer out of TSW. It's a great game with probably the finest story-telling in an mmo today.

So there is no real endgame to keep you playing?
  • Mr_MechanicalMr_Mechanical Member Posts: 88

Wish I could give you feedback on the longevity.

I bought the game at some point, and don't even remember doing so.     It's installed and the icon just sits on my desktop.

I want to like this game real bad, but the animations and general feel are just too cheap and lackluster.     I thought by now they would have addressed this since it was a complaint from launch.   but, no.

Combat still very very VERY bad.    I know the game isn't "about combat", but you can't solve these "awesome" puzzles without having to deal with the combat.

Glad you enjoy it though.   Hopefully you'll get some longevity out of it.  I may try it again sometime, but really, the combat and animations leave a horribly bitter taste in my mouth.

Good luck!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

$30 for five months of gameplay isn't enough? Considering most $60 games are over in a week of casual play I'd say that's a good deal.

I don't know much about TSW end game but It is definitely worth $30 and then some. It's a great unique MMO. The only flaw in my opinion is sometimes the solo content is too difficult and the combat feels clunky.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Endgame in TSW is not raiding like some other mmos. Endgame can be filling out the skill wheel, it might be raiding and/or lairs, it might be hardmode instances or PvP. It might be RP.

But if you are looking for an mmo like WoW or Rift or LOTRO, you should keep looking. TSW is not like those games.

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by drtack1
    So there is no real endgame to keep you playing?

There is... sort of...  If you like dungeon running, there are Elites and Nightmare mode dungeons at the end game.   That'll get you on the gear treadmill and keep you playing.  If you like PvP, there's also that.

The main thing TSW has going for it is the stories, the missions.  Regardless of end-game of longevity, the game is worth the 2-3 month playthrough to complete the entire story line.  Then, by the time you do that, they'll have added another Issue for even more story missions.   

I maintain the largest guides site for The Secret World, but I only care about the missions and the story.  Instances, Raids, PvP don't mean much to me, but the stories are worth the price of admission. 

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• SerpenturusSerpenturus Member Posts: 1

Well there were a lot of gripes on the end game content. Basically you are left to the grind of repeating dungeons and raids which comes with a 16 hour and 3 day lockdown respectively. Once you get to end game, you are left with these and waiting for the new issues to come in which takes normally more than a month due to their cut in manpower. 

So if you are looking for longevity, this is not the game for you. For me I log in a few hours to play dungeons and log out once I am done while I wait for newer issues which needs to be purchase with funcom points.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Combat & character building & dungeon design are keeping me entertained at the end game for over 1500 hours now since release.

REALITY CHECK

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

Hello TSW players! I played a 3 day buddy pass and had a lot of fun! Tried out all 3 factions (I liek Dragon the best, sword and elemental magic was fun!)

My pass ran up today, was hoping there was some specials going for players looking to buy the game. I heard Amazon had this special key that gave players who bought through them TSW points, enough to buy a few expansions. So I was a little disappointed when I found out it was just simply pay 30 bucks lol.

I am now curious to see what players think of the End Game. Once I max out a character....what is there to do end game? Before I spend my money I want to make sure the game will entertain me longer then GW2 did (5 months.)

Thanks for any and all input! Please keep the topic clean and lets be nice boys and girls!

Your cost to entertainment ratio seems very demanding.   You paid $60 for a game, got 5 months of entertainment out of it and you seem to be disappointed.    

You probably pay $20 for 2 hours of entertainment if you go to the movies and don't even think twice about it, but you won't consider buying TSW for $30-$40 (probably even less) unless you are assured that you will get many months of entertainment?

Originally posted by Xssiv

Your cost to entertainment ratio seems very demanding.   You paid $60 for a game, got 5 months of entertainment out of it and you seem to be disappointed.    

You probably pay $20 for 2 hours of entertainment if you go to the movies and don't even think twice about it, but you won't consider buying TSW for $30-$40 (probably even less) unless you are assured that you will get many months of entertainment?

^ lol

I am considering buying it which is why I posted here. I did enjoy my 3 days in the game. I am not cheep. I tend to like my sandbox games better then theme parks. I have been a subscriber to EVE for 4 years.

The biggest concern of mine is endgame. I enjoy pvp alot, and another concern of mine is I am moving to Australia in 2 days and will be on a completely different time schedule as the US (+15 hours) so I am not sure if there are alot of other players playing those hours. I didnt really look into Oceanic servers.

I like the game because it is different from all the other mmos out right now! I will just have to purchase it and find out for my self if the end game can keep me occupied lol. Thanks for all the positive responses. 

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

First of all it is going to take any new player many many many hours of play to "do it all" in TSW.

If you've tried it and liked it, what are you waiting for? 

Worst case scenario is you end up where I am, eventually. I've pretty much done everything, and keep coming back for content updates. If TSW was my only computer game, it wouldn't be enough. Will I ever stop playing? Not in the forseeable future, no.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Mr_Mechanical

I want to like this game real bad, but the animations and general feel are just too cheap and lackluster.     I thought by now they would have addressed this since it was a complaint from launch.   but, no.

Combat still very very VERY bad.    I know the game isn't "about combat", but you can't solve these "awesome" puzzles without having to deal with the combat.

Must admit I dont understand this issue at all. 

Ive played quite some MMOs, and still the animations/combat in TSW is in no way an issue to prevent me from playing the game. Its hardly immersion ruining, and I think its more down to the complexity of the skill system. Once you get deeper into the skill tree, and see greater synergies, I think you will also find greater enjoyment of the game.

As for end game/longevity I would say, if you like "gear treadmill" (Not a bad thing in my book), you will prob like TSw as long as you dont expect bigger scale (raids) content. At least not for PvE. End game PvE in TSW is 5 man group content, 8 dungeons in total, where you get tokens u can use for upgrading and buying gear.

Theres a similar token system for PvP, where you can play in 2 different PvP maps (one is 5v5v5 and one is 10v10v10) together with a bigger persistent PvP zone.

Besides that there are 2 raids (1 boss in each), as well as lair content, which you can do as groups or raids (made for groups), where you do quests in certain parts of each of the 8 zones in order to summon zone/region bosses which drops signets, which are used to improve gear.

the ofc there are repeating missions/exploring the zones, aiming for 100% skill completion (This will take a long time).

So. There is content, and quite a bit to be enjoyed at end game, however it depends on wheter or not what i have described above seems to be something you would enjoy.

If yes, you will have a good amount of content for many months. If no, you are prob better off looking somewhere else.

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221

Well it is somewhat more than just spend $30 since they come out with new paid content patches every few months or so.  The packs so far come with about 3-8 hours of missions and a new auxiliary weapon for players to put their skill points into for about $10.  Of course I can't quite say that's always going to be the standard since the next issue is supposed to be adding in both a further way to improve your character skills as well as a type of repeatable, randomized end-game content so it's looking like it'll do a lot to improve the situation for you.  Then with the couple of issues after that they're adding in a whole new zone and associated content.

So it's hard to say if you'll get more out of TSW than GW2, but at least so far I think it's doing a much better job of adding to the amount of gameplay available over time than GW2's 'Living Story' does (as much as I do like the idea of the thing).  If nothing else, like with GW2 you'll at the very least get your money's worth out of TSW (assuming you don't quit or something silly like that).

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Why don't you just buy the game and then wait till you are ready to play it, that's what I have done, every week there are offers on this game .. EA had it for £10 in their Origin Store and Steam always has deals on it too, just take a look at well known game selling sites to catch a bargain.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I paid 30 for it and it never really hooked me.  I can always go back if I want.  I have not wanted to though. 

I guess if you have to worry about spending ~$30 bucks you probably shouldn't. 

Do what you can afford. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Mr_MechanicalMr_Mechanical Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Rhazmuz

Ive played quite some MMOs, and still the animations/combat in TSW is in no way an issue to prevent me from playing the game. Its hardly immersion ruining, and I think its more down to the complexity of the skill system. Once you get deeper into the skill tree, and see greater synergies, I think you will also find greater enjoyment of the game.

As for end game/longevity I would say, if you like "gear treadmill" (Not a bad thing in my book), you will prob like TSw as long as you dont expect bigger scale (raids) content. At least not for PvE. End game PvE in TSW is 5 man group content, 8 dungeons in total, where you get tokens u can use for upgrading and buying gear.

Theres a similar token system for PvP, where you can play in 2 different PvP maps (one is 5v5v5 and one is 10v10v10) together with a bigger persistent PvP zone.

Besides that there are 2 raids (1 boss in each), as well as lair content, which you can do as groups or raids (made for groups), where you do quests in certain parts of each of the 8 zones in order to summon zone/region bosses which drops signets, which are used to improve gear.

the ofc there are repeating missions/exploring the zones, aiming for 100% skill completion (This will take a long time).

So. There is content, and quite a bit to be enjoyed at end game, however it depends on wheter or not what i have described above seems to be something you would enjoy.

If yes, you will have a good amount of content for many months. If no, you are prob better off looking somewhere else.

-- the last thing in the world I am interested in is "end game" and "gear treadmill" 

-- Not being impressed with any game, mmo or not, that delivers a shitty gameplay experience is something i shouldn't have to justify.   The "story" of the game is good, the "streets and buildings" look good, sure... but I'm not playing as a building or a writer, I'm playing as a character that uses magic or shoots guns and DOING THAT feels terrible in this game.  Would someone play Need for Speed if the driving felt terrible, but the cars looked cool?    Give me a break.   If a game feels bad and clunky, there's no ignoring that.

But hey, at least I don't feel bad about uninstalling.    You pointed out aspects of TSW that I 1) didn't ask about and 2) didn't know about.            Sounds like another gear treadmill game.   

I'm not investing months into a game ever again where the only 'progression' i get out of it is fracking tokens to trade in for new clothes.      

• mlambert890mlambert890 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by Rhazmuz

-- the last thing in the world I am interested in is "end game" and "gear treadmill" 

-- Not being impressed with any game, mmo or not, that delivers a shitty gameplay experience is something i shouldn't have to justify.   The "story" of the game is good, the "streets and buildings" look good, sure... but I'm not playing as a building or a writer, I'm playing as a character that uses magic or shoots guns and DOING THAT feels terrible in this game.  Would someone play Need for Speed if the driving felt terrible, but the cars looked cool?    Give me a break.   If a game feels bad and clunky, there's no ignoring that.

But hey, at least I don't feel bad about uninstalling.    You pointed out aspects of TSW that I 1) didn't ask about and 2) didn't know about.            Sounds like another gear treadmill game.   

I'm not investing months into a game ever again where the only 'progression' i get out of it is fracking tokens to trade in for new clothes.      

And yet.... You care enough to post about it.  Your first objection was "lack luster animations".  Your second one was "feel".  Both you admit have prevented you from doing *anything* in the game.

if someone said "hey, so is baseball a good game for me to consider playing if Im looking for a team sport?" and I had tried baseball once, but didnt like trying to hit a ball with a stick, and didnt like the look of the diamond, and so never tried again, should I really be going out of my way to advise people on baseball?

I dont think the animations are bad at all.  The OP probably didnt either since they played the game and didnt mention it.  "Feel" is completely subjective and the OP is probably ok there too since they didnt mention it.

Essentially, the OP sounds like they have both played the game more than you, and like it more than you.  They are really asking if there is *longevity*.  

You mentioned two things that have nothing to do with longevity in an apparent attempt to get the OP to not like the game at all. 

No one expects you to justify what you like or wants to force you to play, nor did anyone really ask you.  The question wasnt "tell me if YOU like the game and if not, why not?"  The question was "is there longevity"

As someone who actually *plays* the game, Ill concur with those who say "it depends".  If lots of large scale raiding, a PVP ladder, and a world events system are what you look for, then TSW probably wont fit the bill.   TSW in some ways to me is almost more like City of Heroes endgame (if the OP has any familiarity with that), than it is like a WoW or RIFT.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Doubtful that any ThemePark will entertain you for more than 5 months, unless you have a very little time to play the game. The content in a typical ThemePark lasts maybe 2-3 months if you play it casually, i.e. about 10-15 hours per week.
  • JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    Combat animations ruined any interest I may have had with the game. Just terrible. In my opinion of course.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

The faction and main storylines are worth the cost of admission by themselves. You get more than your money's worth for the purchase price.

Endgame, as others have said, it basically a combination of Nightmare mode dungeons, pvp, and filling out the skill wheel. It's enough to keep you busy for a bit.

<3

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

I bought it before launch and have played about 55 hours. I like it, but I only play it about twice a month for an hour. I am happy to have purchased it for that. Either tomorrow or Monday Steam will be having it's last big day of the sale and TSW will be $15 again for a day. I would buy it for that. Honestly, I would buy ANY B2P MMORPG for that price, not to mention this one is so different from the rest.

I won't go any deeper than that. If you need someone to walk you through why you should buy the game you kind of like then you shouldn't buy it. You know if you want it or not. Good luck, have fun.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    its 22.49USD right now on Steam. it was 14.99USD, but keep an eye out the summer sale is not over yet and you never know with Steam.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I know I have gotten hundreds of hours of enjoyment from this game.