Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: Bazaar of the Four Winds

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet is setting a blazing speed with new content additions for Guild Wars 2. The next is entitled "Bazaar of the Four Winds" and we've got a handy dandy preview of what players can expect to find when it goes live. See what we discovered and then leave your reactions in the comments.

Players are taken to a Bazaar where merchants from all over the world come together to sell their strange and exotic items.  You will be able to see ancient relics from civilizations passed, and strange crystal formations that would turn the head of even the wealthiest of nobles.  The environment is littered with detail helping to create that level of immersion ArenaNet is trying to achieve with the Living Story.  If you decide to get a closer look into some of these items the merchants may start to bug you.  When you’re not causing trouble, some merchants will trade you unique armor skins for scraps you will find laying around.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Bazaar of the Four Winds.

The merchants here will sell the strangest items.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I'm looking forward to this.  
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    [mod edit[

• CerbearusCerbearus Member UncommonPosts: 14
    WvW is pretty fun imo, why would it need to be redesigned? I mean i prefer pve over pvp but its fun to siege a few castles once in a while :D
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
  • ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    [mod edit]
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    As interesting as your previews are with their own little sketched one-panel comics, it's still disheartening that  Massively.com has video previews http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/08/massivelys-video-preview-of-guild-wars-2s-bazaar-of-the-four-w/  and your site just has written boring ones.  The video ones give far more information in the same time as it takes to read your article (maybe faster).

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    The only way they could make this sound more exciting is include some pictures of the armor/weapon skins (I need something to replace my Heavy Dwanya Arcon armor; the floating arm spikes are pissing me off)

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243

I'm desperately, desperately hoping that these achievement rewards are not going to be limited to one character.  GW2 is pretty schizoid when it comes to rewards helping or hurting players running multiple characters (i.e. some things are available to the whole account, other things are character specific - without a whole lot of rhyme or reason) - as such, I really can't anticipate which way these will go.

If the bonuses aren't applied account wide I'll be pretty disappointed.

Originally posted by jakin

I'm desperately, desperately hoping that these achievement rewards are not going to be limited to one character.  GW2 is pretty schizoid when it comes to rewards helping or hurting players running multiple characters (i.e. some things are available to the whole account, other things are character specific - without a whole lot of rhyme or reason) - as such, I really can't anticipate which way these will go.

If the bonuses aren't applied account wide I'll be pretty disappointed.

They're account wide. The Massively video preview covers that.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189

Wow, they just rock the mmo world. I love you GW2 ! 

Come on every other mmo !!!!! Let's see you all update every two weeks ! Lol, just crazy awesome ! 

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455

Calling this an update is like calling SWTOR content "updates". This is all fluff, hardly any content.

WOOOO Beetle racing, ONE PvP map (in a PvP centric game), and vendors on a ship! That's WAY better than many more PvP maps, or some actual palatable endgame that might bring some players back, or some other PvE things to do (again, to bring back the players who loved the game leveling, but hated the PvP endgame). Nah, just give them shinies to look at. The GW2 fanbois will call it the best thing since sliced bread and claim their game actually has "content" upgrades every 2 weeks.

LOL

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Looking forward to this!!!

One more day....yay!

Having a blast in GW2 since beta :)

imageimageimage

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    The only way they could make this sound more exciting is include some pictures of the armor/weapon skins (I need something to replace my Heavy Dwanya Arcon armor; the floating arm spikes are pissing me off)

HRHRHSHSrdhcoughdulfy.netcoughhghgfahaserhgherhrhjj

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra

Calling this an update is like calling SWTOR content "updates". This is all fluff, hardly any content.

WOOOO Beetle racing, ONE PvP map (in a PvP centric game), and vendors on a ship! That's WAY better than many more PvP maps, or some actual palatable endgame that might bring some players back, or some other PvE things to do (again, to bring back the players who loved the game leveling, but hated the PvP endgame). Nah, just give them shinies to look at. The GW2 fanbois will call it the best thing since sliced bread and claim their game actually has "content" upgrades every 2 weeks.

LOL

LOL at you. They have been adding content every two weeks. Also the teams that do PvP are separate from the teams doing the Living Story. I can see you are a basic hater because of the wording you use. You show your bias and then people ignore you even when you do come up with a valid point.  Good job making yourself persona non gratis

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    That screen shot reminds me soo much of Cantha. It's just missing a few afflicted shambling through.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    ANet keeps on delivering the good stuff. image

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by botrytis

LOL

LOL at you. They have been adding content every two weeks. Also the teams that do PvP are separate from the teams doing the Living Story. I can see you are a basic hater because of the wording you use. You show your bias and then people ignore you even when you do come up with a valid point.  Good job making yourself 

I own and play GW2. You can try to lie to me, assuming that I do not, so you can lure other players to the game, but you cannot lie to me. This game has had NO MAJOR CONTENT added since launch. Some fail 8 bit dungeon and more armor sets are not content. Please, tell us all about the great wealth of endgame content......oh, there is none? Gotcha. How about the large addition of several dungeons......oh wait, there's only been like 3 at most added if you count that 8 bit abomination. So please. keep your ultra fanboi opinion to yourself. I like the game. A lot to e exact. I'm not just dumb enough to call anything they've added since launch an actual update. ALL of their updates COMBINED equals one non-major patch for most other MMOs.  I love how if anyone brings up an OBVIOUS weakness to this game, people like squirt out a litter of puppies and attack the poster, not the post, immediately deeming the person a "hater" without even having a clue who you're even speaking to. Fail fanboi is fail.

O, I guess I did forget those ultra awesome TEMPORARY content additions. I'm sure the people who would actually start playing now could live just off the stories of what content used to be here......
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Yessssssssssss

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

O, I guess I did forget those ultra awesome TEMPORARY content additions. I'm sure the people who would actually start playing now could live just off the stories of what content used to be here......

It's crazy, isn't it? I mean, if you ignore this round with a new additional sPvP map and the achievement awards system then all we're getting is fresh new content for the month. Everyone knows the only way to really have fun is to introduce permanent content every six to nine months that completely obsoletes the old content and goes stale in three months or less!

Fresh new things to do every month mixed in with permanent changes. How barbaric!

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

It's crazy, isn't it? I mean, if you ignore this round with a new additional sPvP map and the achievement awards system then all we're getting is fresh new content for the month. Everyone knows the only way to really have fun is to introduce permanent content every six to nine months that completely obsoletes the old content and goes stale in three months or less!

Fresh new things to do every month mixed in with permanent changes. How barbaric!

When trying to attract new players (with a price drop and claim of "an expansion's worth of content"), having content included in that "expansion's worth" that no longer exists is disingenuous at BEST. It's out and out lying at worst.  And achievements have been around already. That's not a new system, so doesn't count as new content (and wouldn't count as content even if it were new, just more crap to do besides play the game). I love you die hard ANet fanbois and gurls. You refuse to take a hard look at your game and realize that it isn't all roses and lollipops like you claim. Like I said, I like the game a lot, I'm just not willing to sell my integrity down the river to claim this is an "update" worthy of any more note than when WoW brings own its servers every Tuesday. I also love your "obsolete" argument. You do realize that with ANet's failure to keep even half of its box sales as players that it will rely upon new players to keep the game going, right?  So the content is only obsolete to YOU, not the new player. You're so wrapped up in yourself that you could care less what the game experience is like for anyone else. You want what you want and everyone else be damned, right? LOL again, fail fanboi is fail.

• swarmdieswarmdie Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Originally posted by oboc

Wow, they just rock the mmo world. I love you GW2 ! 

Come on every other mmo !!!!! Let's see you all update every two weeks ! Lol, just crazy awesome ! 

Looks like SOE is having a positive influence on other companies with Planetside 2, the 2 weeks content cycle is now spreading to GW2, which is a good thing for gamers.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

LOL

LOL at you. They have been adding content every two weeks. Also the teams that do PvP are separate from the teams doing the Living Story. I can see you are a basic hater because of the wording you use. You show your bias and then people ignore you even when you do come up with a valid point.  Good job making yourself 

I own and play GW2. You can try to lie to me, assuming that I do not, so you can lure other players to the game, but you cannot lie to me. This game has had NO MAJOR CONTENT added since launch. Some fail 8 bit dungeon and more armor sets are not content. Please, tell us all about the great wealth of endgame content......oh, there is none? Gotcha. How about the large addition of several dungeons......oh wait, there's only been like 3 at most added if you count that 8 bit abomination. So please. keep your ultra fanboi opinion to yourself. I like the game. A lot to e exact. I'm not just dumb enough to call anything they've added since launch an actual update. ALL of their updates COMBINED equals one non-major patch for most other MMOs.  I love how if anyone brings up an OBVIOUS weakness to this game, people like squirt out a litter of puppies and attack the poster, not the post, immediately deeming the person a "hater" without even having a clue who you're even speaking to. Fail fanboi is fail.

Except that you're obviously (oh whoops, was I supposed to put that in caps?) hating on the game by reframing your personal preferences for the game as those of the entire MMO community.  You're completely refusing to acknowledge that what this game is doing is pleasing a lot of players, because, and this may shock you, a lot of players don't want the same things you want!

So no, these updates are NOT flat out objectively bad, as you're trying to propagate.  You're not happy with the updates; then you're letting yourself fall into a tailspin of hating on the game that doesn't apply to other players.  That's the very definition of hating.  

Now I'm against both fanboys and haters alike; they both suffer from the same fallacious irrationality.  But the people you're trying to label "fanboys" here are just normal fans who are justifiably offended by your irrational hating.  The are fans of the game because *gasp* they actually enjoy it!  And they love where it's going.  

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

LOL

Exactly why I havn't gone back.  To me all this stuff isn't content.  I want dungeons that are permanent, something to use my skill points on that aren't wiped out in 1 or 2 purchases, something to do that is hard and tiem consuming that isn't a chore or a grind. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

These updates are great and all, but it still leaves a glaring flaw.

If a player has left GW2 somewhere in the past few months and somehow gets wind of this aggressive new update schedule and decides to come back. They are screwed. depending on when they broke from GW2 and when they return with regaurd to the patch sequence, the only thing they will get is confusion. They'll pick up in the middle of some story line that has no meaning, no starting point and no development for them. They can't go back and go through it from start to finish. 

With the exception of the current patch, the vast majority of "All that content" is now and forever, unavailable.

The Living Story system does not appear to be the best way to lure old players who stopped playing back in. And that's a significant amount of people I'd say.